Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Suns Waive Mickael Pietrus

Mood

Default Re: ESPN: Suns Waive Mickael Pietrus

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good shooter and good defender I would love to bring him here if he is healthy.
    Agreed, but I'm afraid the health part is in serious question after that trade got stopped due to his physical.

It's too bad, too; once upon a time he would be a very nice addition to the bench.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yes
    Come on, dude. Don't you remember random quotes from rookies in 2004?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1760211

Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    Pietrus, who plays less than nine minutes per game, said he defends "like a dog," only to see teammates "chewing the kebabs" he has prepared for them.
    And you call yourself a basketball fan.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Come on, dude. Don't you remember random quotes from rookies in 2004?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1760211

And you call yourself a basketball fan.
    1st time I hear about that

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=Justin Tyme;1326770]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twoa View Post

We've got an open roster spot QUOTE]

Pacers have 2 open roster spots.
    I am aware, but thanks for pointing that out.

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Why not take a risk of signing Pietrus to a low-cost deal? He is a way better shooter than Dahntay Jones and makes smarter decisions on offense. He is a decent defender as well. More depth is always good and signing him to a 1-year deal won't mess anything up money-wise. He's been on playoff teams before and performed pretty well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well if not Pietrus then sign another SF for this team. We are short on SF. Danny and George, thats it. DJones is not a SF.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Why not take a risk of signing Pietrus to a low-cost deal? He is a way better shooter than Dahntay Jones and makes smarter decisions on offense. He is a decent defender as well. More depth is always good and signing him to a 1-year deal won't mess anything up money-wise. He's been on playoff teams before and performed pretty well.
    I think that the precise point that many are making is that Pietrus is NOT a better shooter than Dahntay. In fact, statistically at least, he is inferior to Dahntay. The advantage that Dahntay has over him offensively is his ability to slash and get to the rim.

Shooting 3s and making 3s are two completely different things.

As far as defensive abilities are concerned, I think both players are pretty even. Both are pretty good defenders.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Pietrus is not really a difference maker nor does he try to be.

He's someone who keeps the offensive flow going. Something Dahntay Jones does not.

He'd be good for us playing some minutes as Danny's backup.

I've liked Pietrus. Especially when he was with the Magic.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    DJones is not a SF.

Duh, because he is a PF!
    ---
    I still can't believe how much he played DJones at PF.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I've liked Pietrus. Especially when he was with the Magic.
    I couldn't agree more, he was a solid contributor to that team and could play a similar role here.

He's no LeBron James but he's a decent player who fits the `smashmouth' job description and is looking to bounce back after his stint with the Suns. If he's healthy, I say go for it.

Mood

he is going to a contender my guess is Boston Sash Pavlovic is there starter if PP cant go. He is a clear upgrade Sash shouldnt be in the NBA anymore

All we really need is someone who can shoot and defend a tad for swingman depth. It's funny how that description sounds like Brandon Rush.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Problem is, doesn't look like he's healthy. I mean, he already failed a physical with the Raptors, and the Suns just waived him even if he has a wealthy guaranteed contract. That just screams "red flag".

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Problem is, doesn't look like he's healthy. I mean, he already failed a physical with the Raptors, and the Suns just waived him even if he has a wealthy guaranteed contract. That just screams "red flag".
    From what I've read on Suns forums, there was more backlash when we traded Rush than when the Suns waived Pietrus, that should be telling as well. My good friend who is a Suns fan was glad he's gone.

Pietrus = Overrated (especially from 3...don't know where this rep comes from)

Better 3 pt range than Jones, but not nearly as accomplished as what the rep leads you to believe. Guy is neither a shooter nor a scorer. Defensively it's a wash at best. Sharpshooter who shoots 66% FTs last three seasons?

Was supposed to break out four or five years ago, but was incapable of holding down starting role as a 4th/5th offensive option. Meh. I say don't waste even a paltry sum on him. Would rather have old man Redd if we need shooting.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

23. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

great guy to have backing up Granger at the 3.

Hes a great defender and can shot from beyond the arc
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

36% career from downtown is pedestrian. For example would not put him near the top 50 all time, nor top 50 in most given seasons.

Average games played in his 9 yr career is 55. Career FG% and FT% both less than DJ's. Many talent evaluators would tell you he has not come near realizing his full potential.

Just seems like a move for a move's sake. Don't see it as a move that is really advantageous.

EDIT: If you thin out the wing rotation even more (i.e. include Granger, George, Jones, Lance in a trade, then maybe I can see the depth angle, but otherwise does not really address a need). If you need 3 pt shooting, then get a legit 3 pt. threat, IMO.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 12-23-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Heh. Found a "Who will be better, Wade or Pietrus" poll on a Warriors forum.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I don't see small forward as any kind of urgent need for our team.

The better way to end the Dahntay paranoia is to give the backup 3 minutes to Paul George. Remember, the guy is nearly freaking 6'10" now. He plays great defense, and can be a pretty good shooter. So we already have a Pietrus type on our team.

George Hill is a good player. He will need minutes. Lance could end up being good this year. He will need minutes. One way to solve the West/Tyler dilemma might be to put one of them at the 3 (if the matchup allows).

So, my point is that we already have decent depth at 1,2, and 3. Any more improvements ought to look at continuing to strengthen the 5, find a shot creator/scorer for the end of games, which is unlikely at this point, and being on the lookout for a very good, pass first point guard, which is even less likely.

Collison/Lance/Hill/AJ
    PG/Hill/Lance/Dahntay/AJ
    Granger/PG/Tyler?
    Tyler/West
    Roy/Foster/West/Amundson

Now, if your paranoia is related to the fact that Dahntay got a lot of minutes in preseason, well, I am with you. I'd like those minutes to go to Paul George, George Hill, and Lance. But I don't know what the coaching staff has in mind.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 12-23-2011 at 09:51 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

30. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/151313

Suns buy out Mickael Pietrus
    Phoenix Suns update:

Mickael Pietrus was a Sun in roster only lately until they waived him Thursday.

The Suns bought out Pietrus' contract, paying him about $4.2 million of his $5.3 million salary. Once he clears waivers, Pietrus can pick from a group of other interested teams, led by Boston, to make up the difference.

"Both Mickael and us realized it'd be beneficial for both parties to party ways," Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. "There's an expression that, 'All's well that ends well.' In this case, all's well that ends."

Pietrus did not play or travel with the team over the final 12 games of last season due to knee pain. During the lockout, he had right knee surgery after he was declared unfit to join the French national team. The Suns agreed to trade him to Toronto two weeks ago but he failed the physical. Pietrus came to Phoenix for a MRI last weekend but never joined the team.

"He was really our kind of player -- a big guy who can shoot," Suns Coach Alvin Gentry said. "In order for it to be a good fit, you've got to want to be here and I'm not sure he was every fully engaged about being here."

Banned

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-eva...medium=twitter

Pietrus And The Celtics?: The Phoenix Suns bought out the final year of Mickael Pietrus’ contract agreeing to pay him $4.2 million of the $5.3 million remaining on his deal. The Suns had tried to trade Pietrus to the Toronto Raptors when free agency opened however a swollen knee during a physical with the Raptors nixed the deal.

Pietrus is expected to clear waivers and then be free to choose his next team as an unrestricted free agent.

Pietrus’ agent Bill McCandless told A. Sherrod Blakely of csne.com that his client has heard from several teams including the Celtics.

“He’s only 29, so he’s not like Charles Barkley or some other older players running around, chasing a championship,” McCandless said. “But he wants to be with a playoff team, and have a chance to contribute.”

There had been reports that the New York Knicks were in the mix for Pietrus, however of the half dozen teams that inquired, the Knicks were not said to be one of them.

Pietrus left $1.1 million on the table in Phoenix and as an eight year veteran is eligible to sign an NBA minimum deal starting at $1,223,166.

The Celtics, Lakers and Knicks have been called the front runners for Pietrus once he clears waivers. All three have the ability to add him at the veterans minimum.

He must feel like he can still play or he wouldn't have taken a buyout.

Right now the Pacers roster is distributed like this:

PF/C: 6 players (3 per position)
    SF/SG/PG: 7 players (2 1/3 per position)

They could definitely afford to take on another wing player as long as it's a one year deal. Either a cagey vet at the vet minimum or a young guy with promise.

I sure do wish that the Spurs had amenstied Richard Jefferson....

Banned

Yep he is going to the Celtics

ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix
    RT @MickaelPietrus: I have decided to be part of The Boston Celtics Family.