Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

  1. #1
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Post Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    From the May 17, 1972 St. Petersburg Times article: Hysteria Pacer Problem? If you cannot zoom on the article, you may read the original article HERE.



    I recently stumbled upon an archive of Pacer's articles. This was among the articles feature in the 1970's when the Pacers were members of the American Basketball Association.

    The article made me realize that fan sentiment toward Josh McRoberts and Eric Gordon is similar to the sentiment that George McGinnis, Billy Keller, and Rick Mount received from fans.

    I thought it was an interesting article; perhaps a good way to break-up your morning grind.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    I'm not entirely sure that's the case with McRoberts... McRoberts was pretty universally disliked when he was at Carmel High School being the immature baby that he was, and then by choosing to go out of state to Duke where he was equally disliked by fans. Of course he ended up maturing as a person and sentiment began to change, but I don't know that it ever fully did.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    The very idea that people think anyone wants Eric Gordon because of where he is from is insulting.

    And I think croz did a pretty good job outlining the McRoberts situation. Can there be a more distasteful combo to Hoosiers than coming from Carmel and Duke?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    PANTONE 282 C ColorWerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burnsville, MN USA
    Posts
    45

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    *cough* 1987 Draft - Steve Alford > Reggie Miller *cough*


  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColorWerx For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Member A.B.Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Wasn't McBob the one who refused to play in his last HS game because he thought he'd get hurt? I could be incorrect here but for some reason I thought I recalled that.

    I know that when he choose Duke dude was LOATHED by my fellow Hoosier faithful so either way I agree that his case is very different.

    On an unrelated note I still have my team signed Pacers ball that my second favorite signature on it is Damon Bailey
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

  10. #6
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,275
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    McBob got me back into pacers basketball. He will be my favorite player while he's still playing.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  11. #7
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,178

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    EJ is just a good SG who would fit well here. By do people assume just because someone wants EJ that they are choosing where he's from over his playing abilities.

  12. #8
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The very idea that people think anyone wants Eric Gordon because of where he is from is insulting.
    uhhhhh

    Steve Alford?
    Damon Bailey?
    Brad Miller?

  13. #9
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    I would love Eric Gordon on this team, and it has almost nothing to do with the fact that he is local and went to IU. The reality is, he is a legitimate star player who would fit in great on this team and would generate interest in the team locally from others who do care about his history in the state. We have been looking for a guy who can create his own shot and score points in droves (Jamal Crawford, OJ Mayo), and Gordon can do that and probably do it better than anyone else we could possibly get. Throw in that he supposedly has interest in coming home, and it's not a a huge stretch. All that being said, I still don't think it will happen.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    uhhhhh

    Steve Alford?
    Damon Bailey?
    Brad Miller?
    You are right.

    People only want a 22 year old 20 point scoring wing with near elite defense because he is from Indianapolis and played one season at IU.

    *Edit*: And Brad Miller? Seriously? The guy was a ****ing All-Star.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 12-19-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Brad Miller?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  16. #11

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Lets see if three years from now there are T-shirts in Conseco saying

    "Sink to the cellar
    &
    draft Cody Zeller"
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-19-2011 at 03:49 PM.

  17. #12
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lets se if three years from now there are T-shirts in Conseco saying

    "Sink to the cellar
    &
    draft Cody Zeller"
    You might be seeing those this year.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  18. #13
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,462

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might be seeing those this year.
    Nah, Zeller isn't going anywhere this year. After next year, maybe, but he seems to be one of those kids who enjoys college and wants to earn his degree. Plus with the recruiting class IU has coming in next year, the sky is the limit for that team.

  19. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,064

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    To deny that any of us has a bias towards Gordon is just ignorance if not a complete lie. On the other hand to say the only reason people want him here is because he is from Indiana is also ignorant and a lie.

    The truth is people want him because he is such a good young player, and they would want him over similar players because he is from Indiana.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Member trs72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Age
    42
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by ColorWerx View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *cough* 1987 Draft - Steve Alford > Reggie Miller *cough*

    LOL, I remember all the fuss that stirred. I idolized Steve Alford and patent my game after him.I Remember the free throw routine, Socks, Pants, 1,2,3 swish. I had also seen Reggie play some games at UCLA and as much as I idolized Alford I wanted Reggie as a Pacer as I knew Alford was just a great college player playing for a great coach.

    To the original poster that posted that article, for those that dont know Rick Mount. Probably still to this day the greatest shooter ever to pick up a basketball, yes even over Bird and Reggie. My dad actually went to school with Rick and they played little league baseball together.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

    I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

  22. #16
    Member trs72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Age
    42
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    uhhhhh

    Steve Alford?
    Damon Bailey?
    Brad Miller?
    You might want to do some research before throwing Brad Miller in there. Brad Miller was a all star and one of the top C in the league at one time.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

    I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

  23. #17
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    No one is arguing that Eric Gordon is an under-acheiving player, but when fans suggest we trade two first round picks and Danny Granger for Eric Gordon that is the evidence of Hoosier Hysteria. Greg Oden, Gordon Hayward, and George Hill should also have been mentioned.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    There is pride in adding, "Hoosiers." we are the basketball state.

  26. #19

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by trs72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might want to do some research before throwing Brad Miller in there. Brad Miller was a all star and one of the top C in the league at one time.
    Yes, but when he left for an absolutely RIDICULOUS contract that Sacramento began to regret only about two days after they offered it, lots of people lined up here insisting that we were fools to lose out on the bidding war.

  27. #20
    Hoosier for Life CreekShow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Muncie
    Age
    27
    Posts
    477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    You think maybe the fact that Indiana produces TONS of NCAA and NBA Basketball talent? I mean there are tons of players around the league that come from the state too.

    Gordon is an amazing player, in a position which the Pacers could use someone like him. Does it help he is from here, sure, why wouldnt it help. I mean that takes nothing away from the fact that the kid is one of the better players in the league, and young at that. Throwing out Alfords name doesnt even make sense in this situation. If anything that disproves what you are saying. When it comes down to who is on the team, what fans say and feel have nothing to do with what really happens IMO.

    There are going to be homers with every fanbase, but to say that Hoosier Hysteria is why we want EJ is silly. If there was another primetime SG who had openly voiced he wanted to play for us and was better than EJ, then I would say go for him
    I Bleed Blue

  28. #21
    PANTONE 282 C ColorWerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burnsville, MN USA
    Posts
    45

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by trs72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL, I remember all the fuss that stirred. I idolized Steve Alford and patent my game after him.I Remember the free throw routine, Socks, Pants, 1,2,3 swish. I had also seen Reggie play some games at UCLA and as much as I idolized Alford I wanted Reggie as a Pacer as I knew Alford was just a great college player playing for a great coach.

    To the original poster that posted that article, for those that dont know Rick Mount. Probably still to this day the greatest shooter ever to pick up a basketball, yes even over Bird and Reggie. My dad actually went to school with Rick and they played little league baseball together.
    First college basketball game I ever attended was at Mackey Arena (might have still been called Purdue Arena then) way back in 1969.

    I didn't have the appreciation for Rick Mount then (I was six!), but I certainly did as I got older.

  29. #22

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one is arguing that Eric Gordon is an under-acheiving player, but when fans suggest we trade two first round picks and Danny Granger for Eric Gordon that is the evidence of Hoosier Hysteria. Greg Oden, Gordon Hayward, and George Hill should also have been mentioned.
    Exactly! Gordon is a good player and nobody in their right mind would be against him being acquired. What I am against is the Pacers overpaying for him in terms of a trade (Granger and 2 1sts may be the single most absurd trade suggestion in the history of this board - and that says a lot!),
    Also, the idea of paying a max salary to a guy who has never proved he can handle the physicality of the NBA is almost as dumb. This guy cant stay healthy. Couldnt do it in college, and cant do it in the NBA. Not to mention he is to small to get his own shot or guard any other 2 guard effectively.
    Somebody has to score on bad teams - See Danny Granger!
    His value is extremly over-rated on this board because he is from Indy.

  30. #23
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly! Gordon is a good player and nobody in their right mind would be against him being acquired. What I am against is the Pacers overpaying for him in terms of a trade (Granger and 2 1sts may be the single most absurd trade suggestion in the history of this board - and that says a lot!),
    Also, the idea of paying a max salary to a guy who has never proved he can handle the physicality of the NBA is almost as dumb. This guy cant stay healthy. Couldnt do it in college, and cant do it in the NBA. Not to mention he is to small to get his own shot or guard any other 2 guard effectively.
    Somebody has to score on bad teams - See Danny Granger!
    His value is extremly over-rated on this board because he is from Indy.
    And yet he averaged over 22 points per game last year on .450 shooting...hmmm.

  31. #24
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly! Gordon is a good player and nobody in their right mind would be against him being acquired. What I am against is the Pacers overpaying for him in terms of a trade (Granger and 2 1sts may be the single most absurd trade suggestion in the history of this board - and that says a lot!),
    Also, the idea of paying a max salary to a guy who has never proved he can handle the physicality of the NBA is almost as dumb. This guy cant stay healthy. Couldnt do it in college, and cant do it in the NBA. Not to mention he is to small to get his own shot or guard any other 2 guard effectively.Somebody has to score on bad teams - See Danny Granger!
    His value is extremly over-rated on this board because he is from Indy.
    It's pretty clear you haven't watched Eric Gordon play in the NBA.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  33. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,144

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoosier Hysteria | a historic problem?

    I always thought the only reason Pacer fans wanted Gordon was because of his ties to Indy. I know he's a good...with potential to be a great player but never thought we should throw the kitchen sink to get him.

Similar Threads

  1. Our Problem is Tinsley
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 12:20 AM
  2. Van Gundy isn't problem ... refs are
    By Suaveness in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 06:53 PM
  3. WE have the problem, not Ron.
    By McKeyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 05:21 PM
  4. Pacers problem: Defense
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •