Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow. NBA 2K12 Strategy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wow. NBA 2K12 Strategy

I know some of you are playing NBA 2K12, and I wanted to understand the play calling better and I ran across this series of strategy videos. I learned a ton about how to handle play calling on the fly. My Player guy was a PG drafted by the Suns, but my rookie year I played SG all year with Nash around, but now I'm in year 2 (did a lot of skipping) and I'm starting at PG with Nash coming off the bench, so I needed to know more. So I looked it up.

I haven't seen all of these myself, I've watched two. The on ball defense video, and play calling. After the play calling I was annoyed I was 95 speed, and 96 agility and guys were blowing by me. Learned a lot there too. I plan on watching all of them.

This will be a long post. 10 vids or so. Also some of these things have changed because of patches. I would recommend watching them in order as well. Some of the video's build on the knowledge given in previous videos.

Last edited by xBulletproof; 12-19-2011 at 06:03 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wow, wow, wow. NBA 2K12 Strategy

Now that the patch and rookies are out, I'm picking 2K12 back up. These videos are sure to help. Thanks for posting.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

For My Player some of this doesn't really translate. The play calling thing isn't customizable in My Player because you have no coaching options.

It does however make calling my own number easier.

As far as defense goes, it sure helped. Learning trigger control what they do exactly and such helped a ton. Last year I was getting torched by Billups and even guys that shouldnt be able to blow by me.

In my first game after watching these videos I held Derrick Rose to 3-20 shooting for 8 points. I scored 27 and had a NASTY block on him that slammed off the backboard. Won the matchup by a mile.

The play calling I still can't seem to find a liking for. It did keep my turnovers down though.

How do I get the pick and roll going?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm going to make my own guy again, but will probably play more on a creating a legend with PG24

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Default Re: Wow. NBA 2K12 Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do I get the pick and roll going?
    Vid #2

Sorry posting from tapatalk lol...couldn't see the vids

Yeah, the on the ball D was one of the more helpful videos.

Now really free Lance!

It continues. In the 3 games since I watched the on ball defense video, I had Rose go 3-20, Brandon Jennings 5-23 and Devin Harris 6 for 20. That's 14 of my opponents last 63 shots that have went in.

I have found a couple plays with Michael Redd that works. Thank God. My Suns team has a lineup of Gortat, Illyasova, Michael Redd, and Jared Dudley. So in other words, I have one crappy team. Somehow we're 4-4 this year. With the defense I played in my rookie year, we would probably be 1-7 or something.

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

My player is a point guard, and I get an A+ rating every game by trapping the guy bringing the ball up the floor on the other team. Call the half court trap defense, and trap him right as he crosses half court. It will give you about half a meter full on your player rating every time. I can consistently get A+ ratings this way.

Won the MVP last night also, in only my second year. Made All NBA 1st team, and defensive 1st team too. 37PPG, 5 RPG, 4 APG, and 4 SPG. The my player is so addictive. I haven't played the regular mode for months. I can't pull myself away. Getting ready to start the playoffs. Hoping to win it all this year.....

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    My player is a point guard, and I get an A+ rating every game by trapping the guy bringing the ball up the floor on the other team. Call the half court trap defense, and trap him right as he crosses half court. It will give you about half a meter full on your player rating every time. I can consistently get A+ ratings this way.

Won the MVP last night also, in only my second year. Made All NBA 1st team, and defensive 1st team too. 37PPG, 5 RPG, 4 APG, and 4 SPG. The my player is so addictive. I haven't played the regular mode for months. I can't pull myself away. Getting ready to start the playoffs. Hoping to win it all this year.....
    I saw you playing last night and that you had 55pts at least when I looked. I'm only in my 3rd game so far. I'm having a hard time getting a B. The grading is ridiculously hard this time around. It's like I have to score, assist or rebound every time down the court...it's *****ing madness.

How do you call plays in my player, like that half court trap?

Now really free Lance!

You can only call the plays if you are the PG. I found this out by sheer luck. I think that the PG is the easiest position to be successful with BY FAR. If you are the PG, then you can call plays by pressing RIGHT on the directional pad. If you're on offense it brings up different plays than if you're on defense. I call the half court trap on defense A LOT. It really drives up your rating if you successfully trap your man. And I call an Iso play for my guy pretty much every play on offense. LOL. I scored 116 pts one game by doing this.

It also helps if you are a starter. Request a trade to a crappy team if you have to. You need minutes on the court to improve.

My player is an "athletic" point guard. The first thing I did was put his midrange jumper slider all the way up. Most times I just walk the ball down the court until I get to the top of the key, or at the elbow. Then stop and shoot a jumper. With your slider maxed out you'll be able to shoot 45-55% consistently. More if you are judicious and have the ability to take the ball to the hole. I also put my consistency slider all the way up. That helps a lot. I really started having the ability to control the games when my player rating was about 75. I'm only up to 83 or 84 now, and I can dominate the games most of the time.

Just chasing that ring now...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

I am also a 6'6" point. I made some changes to the Pacers to ensure I'd get the starting job soon. Traded Collison for Battier and George Hill for Reggie Jackson before I started My Player. I also got rid of Posey, Rush and Price.

I also added Kareem and Dr J to my team. heh

On other teams, I switched out Duncan and Kobe for their younger selves. Added a young Shaq and Penny to the Raptors. Added Zo and Grandmama to the Hornets (who are stacked with EJ). Added in Cliff Robinson to the sun (just cause I always liked the guy) and Pistol Pete to the Bucks. Just to spice things up a bit.

I'll probably start another My Player that is more realistic.

I will say that Kareem and Erving are so fun to play with on your team. My lineups are all over the place right now with who plays where since I don't exactly have a PF (Granger plays there most and sometimes Kareem), and I play more SG than PG. I will win the PG job soon, so hopefully no more SG. I love it when I'm the point, PG at SG, Erving at SF, Granger at PF and Kareem at C.

Up to 20 mins so far averaging 8pts, 4boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 0.7 blocks.

Now really free Lance!

I didn't even know you could have the historic players in the my player mode? Or that you could decide who to trade, and who stays. Is that an option when you first start out? I don't remember seeing it.

I didn't even know you could have the historic players in the my player mode? Or that you could decide who to trade, and who stays. Is that an option when you first start out? I don't remember seeing it.
    It's a bit tricky to get the legends. I have a link, but it's at home. I'll send you a link later or you could look it up.

As for the trades, I did that by managing rosters before I started My Player. I made sure to trade for guys with lower ratings. Just wanted to free up the point guard position so I could start sooner.

Now really free Lance!

I've been traded 3 times in the first 2 years. Got sick of the dumb trades my team was making so I demanded trades to better teams. LOL.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been traded 3 times in the first 2 years. Got sick of the dumb trades my team was making so I demanded trades to better teams. LOL.
    Lol ya I was drafted by the pacers but 20 some games in (Ive played every game in the season so far, still a rookie.) I demanded a trade because i was tired of the terrible defense and seemingly being the only one that could score... Now im on the Thunder Got traded straight up for James Harden, so its fun playing with Durant, Westbrook and co.

BTW, you mentioned shooting sliders, were you talking about abilities or the attributes? The abilities are so expensive i normally avoid them, im "poor" on a lot of them cuz i don't want to spend the 10k, but does it signifcantly help? I'm not bad, but if that takes you up another step I may just start upping those.

They absolutely help.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I am also a 6'6" point. I made some changes to the Pacers to ensure I'd get the starting job soon. Traded Collison for Battier and George Hill for Reggie Jackson before I started My Player. I also got rid of Posey, Rush and Price.
    I don't think you have to make changes. I was drafted by the Phoenix Suns and in year 2 I am starting over Nash. I wish the CPU coach was smart enough to start Nash at the 2, and Redd at the 3. Dudley sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I don't think you have to make changes. I was drafted by the Phoenix Suns and in year 2 I am starting over Nash. I wish the CPU coach was smart enough to start Nash at the 2, and Redd at the 3. Dudley sucks.
    I just wanted to start sooner than later. After 13 games, I'm still first off the bench (up to 30 minutes a game), still playing mostly SG. Shouldn't be long before I get the starting point spot.

I'm just frustrated cause it ALWAYS seems like the other teams winds the clock to almost zero before firing a desperation shot and it usually goes in. Ugh! Is there anything in the sliders to prevent this from happening so often? My team plays great D and they make these types of cheap shots way too often.

Now really free Lance!

I'm up to a 69 rating playing about 40 minutes at the point. I've also only had 1 A+ rating game. The rating system in this game is a joke. I just had a 22pt 6board 12 assists 4 steal 2 block (3TOs) game and that was only good enough for an A rating. They simply take off too much if your man scores, and whoever you are guarding seems to shoot the ball the most no matter who it is. It's just a bit frustrating.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting an A+? I wish I could tweak the rating. I wonder if my ratings don't go up very much for the good things I do cause I'm a 6'6" point guard.

Now really free Lance!

Setting screens and calling for double teams always helped me to boost my grade by the end of the game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

in my 3rd season for my my player and we have won 3 straight titles on the bobcats and Silas retired after year 2 so they replaced him with Obama LOL.

My team tried to trade me (my name was in the rumor mill section and they asked me questions about the potential of the team trading me in a press conference) and I have won 2 stright MVP's and 3 NBA titles I was gonna resign with them. But now I am taking my talents else where.

The Bobcats only offered me 5 yrs 50m. Which is stupid I shroud get a max deal lol.

Knicks Lakers Wizards and Twolves all have offered me a max deal along with a few others but I like those teams. tough choice.

Melo left the Knicks in free agency for the Magic but the Knicks just got Chris Bosh for MLE money and Tyson Chandler's contract in coming off the boos soon along with Amare.

im a 7ft SF who averages 33 and 10 rebounds 5 assist for my career.

What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    in my 3rd season for my my player and we have won 3 straight titles on the bobcats and Silas retired after year 2 so they replaced him with Obama LOL.

My team tried to trade me (my name was in the rumor mill section and they asked me questions about the potential of the team trading me in a press conference) and I have won 2 stright MVP's and 3 NBA titles I was gonna resign with them. But now I am taking my talents else where.

The Bobcats only offered me 5 yrs 50m. Which is stupid I shroud get a max deal lol.

Knicks Lakers Wizards and Twolves all have offered me a max deal along with a few others but I like those teams. tough choice.

Melo left the Knicks in free agency for the Magic but the Knicks just got Chris Bosh for MLE money and Tyson Chandler's contract in coming off the boos soon along with Amare.

im a 7ft SF who averages 33 and 10 rebounds 5 assist for my career.

What should I do?
    Could you not ask the Bobcats for the max? I'm not sure how FA works, cause I'm still in my first season.

Also, I have to be a point to have the ball in my hands. Playing a SF, how do you get the ball so much to score? Do you always just call for the ball after the point brings the ball up the court?

You should see if the Pacers are interested. :P

Now really free Lance!