Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft Watch: The Race for Luck

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL Draft Watch: The Race for Luck

Currently, the Colts sit at 1-13, while both the Rams and Vikings are 2-12. In the event of a tie, the tiebreaker is determined by strength of schedule; the team with the weakest SOS gets the higher pick.

Here is a look at the current win totals of each teams' schedule. Obviously, this can still change quite a bit over the last couple of weeks, but this should at least give us an idea of where we stand in the race for Luck:

#1 1-13, 120 wins (#3 SOS)
    #2 2-12, 127 wins (#2 SOS)
    #3 2-12, 130 wins (#1 SOS)

So, as of right now, the Colts remain firmly in the driver's seat.

Now, let's take a look at the records of the remaining opponents for each team:

12-16
    14-14
    20-6

Both of Minnesota's games are very winnable, so they could finish between 2-4 wins.

The Jags game is very winnable for the Colts, but it is on the road. The Houston game will be tough, but the game is at home. Unlikely the Colts will get more than one of the two, which would put them at 2 wins.

The Rams' remaining schedule is brutal, on the road at Baltimore and at home against the Niners. Unless San Fran locks things up and sits their starters, it's unlikely the Rams will win anymore games this season.

So, a three-way tie is still very possible. There are no 3-win teams, so the Colts will finish with no worst than the #3 pick. Of course, there is a substantial drop in value after the first pick, so it's still critical that we drop one, if not both, remaining games.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NFL Draft Watch: The Race for Luck

Houston has already clinched their division. Will they lay down or (since it's a Thursday nite TV game) will they play it tough?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Houston has already clinched their division. Will they lay down or (since it's a Thursday nite TV game) will they play it tough?
    Well, they did just get shellacked by Carolina, so it could go either way.

I'm definitely going to be sweating it if we beat Houston. Don't want the Colts to pull a Pacers and rack up three meaningless wins at the end of the season.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

We need the Texans to care about this game. I think we'll be the favorites against Jacksonville. That team is done.

Leave it to the Colts to screw things up at the end of the year. They are good at that. I think we should rest our starters.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

I'm definitely going to be sweating it if we beat Houston. Don't want the Colts to pull a Pacers and rack up three meaningless wins at the end of the season.
    I would be so ****ing pissed if that were to happen.

Three? Only two losses and we might lose the # pick.

I'll be so ticked if we somehow play ourselves out of that number 1 pick. To be in the driver's seat all year only to somehow play your way out of that pick at the very end of the season would be a blunder of epic proportions. I don't care if it's unethical to root for the team to lose from this point out. I don't care about these two worthless upcoming games. This season will be remembered as a joke whether it's 1-15 or 2-14 or 3-13. Might as well at least get the number 1 pick from it.

It doesn't matter if you think Manning is going to be healthy. You still want that pick because it would be an incredible trade asset. We could get some nice stuff for it and load up for one more run with Peyton.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Btw, we should be rooting for the Niners tonight, since Pittsburgh is on our schedule and San Fran is on the Rams' schedule.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

NFL QB of the future

What was that all about yesterday ??

Look, between St. Louis, Minnesota and Indy, Indy is #1 on my list (that Irsay guy spends cash like it's going out of style), but you have to do your part.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'll be so ticked if we somehow play ourselves out of that number 1 pick. To be in the driver's seat all year only to somehow play your way out of that pick at the very end of the season would be a blunder of epic proportions. I don't care if it's unethical to root for the team to lose from this point out. I don't care about these two worthless upcoming games. This season will be remembered as a joke whether it's 1-15 or 2-14 or 3-13. Might as well at least get the number 1 pick from it.

It doesn't matter if you think Manning is going to be healthy. You still want that pick because it would be an incredible trade asset. We could get some nice stuff for it and load up for one more run with Peyton.
    Don't think we should trade him away if we get Luck. As Bob Costas said last night FO can find a way to have both and let Luck learn from Manning for a couple years and then Luck will be Really good for a long time.(theoretically) If Luck is as good as they say(once in a decade type player) I don't want him going anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Luck View Post
    What was that all about yesterday ??

Look, between St. Louis, Minnesota and Indy, Indy is #1 on my list (that Irsay guy spends cash like it's going out of style), but you have to do your part.
    Nice to have you on the Pacers board. The team on the field didn't get the memo I guess. Will you sit behind Manning for awhile?

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Don't think we should trade him away if we get Luck. As Bob Costas said last night FO can find a way to have both and let Luck learn from Manning for a couple years and then Luck will be Really good for a long time.(theoretically) If Luck is as good as they say(once in a decade type player) I don't want him going anywhere else.

Yeah, but keeping Luck isn't doing anything to benefit you while Manning is playing, so how would Peyton like that? I'm sure Peyton would rather the team trade the pick for assets that will maximize his chance of winning another ring and I can't say I'd blame him. Then you could draft a less-hyped QB in 2013 and let that guy study under Manning for a couple of years without all the attention that Luck will undoubtedly get.

I still don't think having both can work. Luck going along with it is just part of the equation. You also have to consider Manning's feelings, and I seriously doubt Manning wants to keep Luck when he knows we could get a helluva lot for him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yeah, but keeping Luck isn't doing anything to benefit you while Manning is playing, so how would Peyton like that? I'm sure Peyton would rather the team trade the pick for assets that will maximize his chance of winning another ring and I can't say I'd blame him. Then you could draft a less-hyped QB in 2013 and let that guy study under Manning for a couple of years without all the attention that Luck will undoubtedly get.

I still don't think having both can work. Luck going along with it is just part of the equation. You also have to consider Manning's feelings, and I seriously doubt Manning wants to keep Luck when he knows we could get a helluva lot for him.
    Everything you say is true but Manning doesn't run the franchise. Manning has to realize that the team has to do what it has to do in order to insure we are successful long after he's gone.(which might not be too far from now) I think at this point there is too much rebuilding to do in a short time to win another SB with Manning. Not going to happen.

I don't expect the Colts to get into the playoffs for quite some time.

The Texans will be locking up that division for the next 5 years. The Titans will be tough also with Jake Locker who will become a very good QB.

Peyton's not getting any younger and who knows if he'll be the same physically and mentally because he knows he's being taken out of the picture and if the Colts keep Luck it'll take he and the Colts some time to build a young team.

The Vikings probably have the best team of the 3 even though all 3 teams have terrible defense, the Vikings have the best offense.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 12-19-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Banned

Yep, we were close to get EJ and then "the clown" decided to win meaninless games, I'll be if the colts do that.

Let's trade Luck for an undersized defense built to play against a panicking and trailing team.

Bill Polian is onboard... what about you guys?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Keep Manning and hold your breath every time he gets hit whether a new or old injury. Just because he has been a great QB there is no indication that he can be any more effective than anyone else quarterbacking in his late 30s.

Banned

I've been thinking that if Peyton is healthy and ready to play and Luck doesn't want to come here, we should trade that pick for a bunch of picks and maybe a good player, maybe move down few spots and pick RGIII and let him sit behind Peyton for few years, I like RGIII potential he is going to be a nice QB a lot of people are saying that the drop from Luck to him is not that big.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-19-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want Justin Blackmon more than I do Luck

If I was the Texans, I would let 10 year olds draw up the game plan and I would start the quarterback coach. No way I let the Colts sniff QB domination for another 15 years. If Houston was smart, they would be in full tank mode. Rest another week Andre. Arian, hows the hammy? 98%? Take the week off.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    If I was the Texans, I would let 10 year olds draw up the game plan and I would start the quarterback coach. No way I let the Colts sniff QB domination for another 15 years. If Houston was smart, they would be in full tank mode. Rest another week Andre. Arian, hows the hammy? 98%? Take the week off.
    If the Colts are smart they will do the same thing.

That's a pretty big "if," though.

Update after last night's game:

#1 1-13, 120 wins (#3 SOS)
    #2 2-12, 127 wins (#2 SOS)
    #3 2-12, 132 wins (#1 SOS)

Final score: Texans: 4 Colts: 2

(Safeties)