Thread: Luck's run out for Indy football/Jason Whitlock

Banned

Default Luck's run out for Indy football/Jason Whitlock

I was going to post it in the main page because he talks about the Pacers a bit, either way I think he is crazy

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/a...s-colts-010312

Andrew Luck might want to consult a former Stanford QB legend about how to handle the NFL draft.

Twenty-nine years ago, John Elway refused to play for Bob Irsay’s Colts, forcing a trade to the Denver Broncos. Luck, Stanford’s latest can’t-miss passer, may want to avoid playing for Jim Irsay’s Colts, the team with the top pick in the 2012 draft.

That is not written to analogize Irsay father to Irsay son in regards to football ownership. Jim Irsay, while quirky, has established a solid reputation as an NFL owner and restored a measure of respectability to a last name best known for a midnight abandonment of Baltimore.

Nope. Luck should consider avoiding Irsay and the Colts to avoid the seemingly inevitable bad fate that awaits the franchise.

Indiana’s football bubble is bursting.

I’m a Hoosier. I was born and raised in Indianapolis. I was a high school junior when the Mayflower trucks Bob Irsay rented arrived in Naptown, delivering the Colts from Baltimore. I attended the draft party when the Colts made my high school teammate Jeff George the top pick of the 1990 draft. I know the history of the state and the Indianapolis Colts.

For 15 years, I’ve watched in stunned disbelief as Peyton Manning transformed Indiana from a basketball state to a football state.

I say it’s over. I say it’s not a coincidence that the Manning era is crumbling in the same year my little hometown is hosting the Super Bowl. The whole thing is playing out like a movie script, a comedic satire. It’s Trading Places, and I’m Billy Ray Valentine with inside information on when it’s time to “sell, sell, sell.”

On Monday, Jim Irsay justifiably and appropriately fired the best football executive in league history, Bill Polian. Polian built the four-time Super Bowl-qualifier Buffalo Bills. He turned the expansion Carolina Panthers into instant contenders. He had success in the Canadian Football League. He drafted Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf. Polian acquired Tony Dungy to get the Colts over the Super Bowl hump.

SEE YOU IN WISCONSIN?
    Yes, the NFL postseason is finally upon us, and the road to Indy runs through Green Bay and New England. See the full schedule.
    Polian had to be fired. He installed his inept son as general manager and he built a roster and coaching staff that were too reliant on Peyton Manning. Polian had to go. The Colts’ lack of preparedness for Manning’s absence due to injury and Manning’s new contract were fireable offenses.

So the Colts lose a man I regard as the best in the business. It now also appears the Colts will lose the man some regard as the best quarterback to ever lace up a pair of cleats. Manning’s uninjured neck isn’t walking back in Lucas Oil Stadium. If Manning ever returns to the playing field, it’s difficult to imagine him returning to his all-world form.

In the year my hometown is host to the crown jewel in sports, the Colts lose the NFL’s top personnel man and are likely to lose the top QB. This is fate. The Colts are toast.

Jim Irsay is starting from scratch. Can he find another Bill Polian?

Again, I’m not bad-mouthing Jim Irsay. I’m saying fate is at work. Indiana’s football bubble is bursting. The Hoosier state is returning to its basketball roots.

As I’ve mentioned in previous columns, Manning’s ascension in Indiana coincided with Bob Knight’s departure from Indiana University, the Ron Artest-induced fall of the Indiana Pacers and the destruction of single-class high school basketball.

CONTACT JASON WHITLOCK If you have a question or comment for Jason, submit it below and he may just respond.
    Subject:

Comment/Question:

Name:

Email Address:

Hometown:

Is it a coincidence that in the same year my little hometown hosts the Super Bowl, the Indiana Hoosiers knock off the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in college basketball in a span of three weeks? Tom Crean’s Hoosiers just happen to become relevant at the same time the Colts finish 2-14.

Have I mentioned that Larry Bird has built the deepest, most versatile Pacers team since the late 1990s teams he coached deep into the playoffs and all the way to the NBA Finals? Yeah, the Pacers are relevant again. They’re 4-1 and a point-guard-upgrade from being a serious title contender.

I love football. I played college football. But I’m a Hoosier. We’re basketball people. This Peyton Manning-Bill Polian-Tony Dungy thing never really made sense in Indiana. It can’t be sustained. Manning, Polian and Dungy were great imports. We produce Oscar Robertsons and Larry Birds naturally.

Suck for Luck was a nice little campaign, but smart Hoosiers really want to see Eric Gordon come home, wear the Pacers blue and gold and rekindle memories of Reggie Miller.

Someone warn Andrew Luck that Indy’s football era is dead. It’s time for “Boom, baby!”

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Luck's run out for Indy football/Jason Whitlock

Wow. I didn't know he was this dumb.

We'll never support a winner in the NFL, why? Meh, I dunno. We like basketball?

Good article.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

RWB

Whitlock loves to stir the pot as much as Kravitz.

His point that prior to the 80s NFL football was pretty much unnoticed in Indiana is completely true, and that basketball is indeed deep-down more dear, but I suspect the the genie doesn't go back into the bottle even if Peyton Manning never plays another down. NFL football has a following in Indiana, as it does elsewhere, and it will endure.

Indiana University football, on the other hand... geesh. That's been in fix-it mode ever since Mallory was fired for taking us to Bluebonnet bowls with 7-5 teams every year, the type of seasons we now long for.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His point that prior to the 80s NFL football was pretty much unnoticed in Indiana is completely true...
    No, no it's not true, not even by a longshot. Just because there was no professional team in Indiana prior to that doesn't mean there were no football fans here. There are still plenty of Bears and Steelers fans here that were fans before the Colts arrived. The entire northern half of the state cares more about the Bears than any other NFL team. When the Colts moved their training camp to Terre Haute, there were still more Bears fans there than Colts fans. There are still a lot of Bengals fans in the southeastern part of the state as well. Yes it's true that basketball is the first love of our state, but the NFL was VERY far from unnoticed before the Colts arrived.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Polian acquired Tony Dungy to get the Colts over the Super Bowl hump.

Jason Whitlock proves himself to be an idiot with that statement right there.... Dungy was Irsay's choice the entire time. Frankly Polian and Dungy did not care for each other and yet somehow managed to coexist. Since he's gone what the heck.... I had a few conversations with Dungy's personal assistant and she pretty much stated if it wasn't for Irsay's relationship with Dungy he would have been gone much sooner because of Polian and his attitude.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Luck calls up his agent. . .

Luck: "Hey, I think we're gonna have to pull an Eli and get away from Indy."

Agent: "Why, worried about sitting behind Manning?"

Luck: "No, man. Jason Whitlock says that their football bubble is bursting."

Agent: ". . ."
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Also, I'm fine with considering Polian one of the best ever, but I would submit that the "best football executive in league history" should have more than one superbowl victory.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I didn't know he was this dumb.
    That mid-80s Warren Central education at work.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: