View Poll Results: Would you do that trade?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    85 63.91%
  • No

    48 36.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    The Pacers need one more big. Jermaine has one year left. The Celtics have two first-round picks this year: their own and the Clippers'. Let's say the Celts offered the Pacers the better pick and Jermaine in return for cap space.

    Would you do that trade?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    A pick and JO for our 1st/Rush? Hell yes!


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?


  5. #4
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I'd rather have a younger guy with less injury risk fill in for when Jeff is hurt, but if no one talented that fits that bill, yeah I would bring JO in.

  6. #5
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,495

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    JO makes 6 million, roughly. His knees are shot and they retired 2 yrs ago. Its basically buying a 1st round pick, in a good draft. I take it back, I wouldn't do it. Too much $ for a 20 something pick.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    672

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Thumbs down Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I shouldn't be against it, but seriously, the Pacers finally get rid of every single clown from the JailPacers era and ya wanna bring back one of the 3 ringleaders (Jackson & Tinsley the other two)...you know he'll miss significant time...why bother?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  9. #7
    Hoosier for Life CreekShow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Muncie
    Age
    27
    Posts
    472

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    No Way. I waited way too long for Indy to get rid of him. I dont want to take him back, ever.
    I Bleed Blue

  10. #8
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    JO is only person even quasi-qualified to start/play at center for Celtics (other than Garnett, which they are apparently not going to do)...by all accounts, he is going to stay...they have a huge shortage at the 5..

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I shouldn't be against it, but seriously, the Pacers finally get rid of every single clown from the JailPacers era and ya wanna bring back one of the 3 ringleaders (Jackson & Tinsley the other two)...you know he'll miss significant time...why bother?
    Really? I had already moved away from Indiana by the time of the brawl but my understanding from talking to friends back home is that most fans differentiated between JO and Tinsley/Artest/Jackson

  13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  14. #10
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Oneal...How'd that work out for Boston!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  15. #11
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    672

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? I had already moved away from Indiana by the time of the brawl but my understanding from talking to friends back home is that most fans differentiated between JO and Tinsley/Artest/Jackson
    Once he had his nightclub open in Broad Ripple, it seemed like he and Tinsley would take turns being out for a few games with silly injuries, sinus infections, etc. usually starting in late January.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  16. #12
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,002

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I'd make the trade to get the pick, cut him, then give Stanko a call.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I rather get Murphy, yes I'm serious.

  19. #14
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I voted yes.

    I like Jermaine as a person and he was my second favorite Pacer of all-time.

    Things ended poorly, yes. And his health isn't ideal, but I would love for him to retire a Pacer.

    He himself has echoed that sentiment on Twitter and in interviews. He wants to be remembered as a Pacer. If we accommodate that in a low risk, high reward type proposition, why not?

  20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,482

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once he had his nightclub open in Broad Ripple, it seemed like he and Tinsley would take turns being out for a few games with silly injuries, sinus infections, etc. usually starting in late January.
    For all of jermaines faults: like not living up to the contract never being that true superstar..... Never once did he ever milk an injury or fake an injury IMO in fact him being reluctant to ever sit out to properly heal his injuries properly .... Killed his career..

  22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?





    EDIT: Now that I notice there's a 1st round pick then yes, I'd take the deal. Begrudgingly. Hicks, how do I change my vote?

  24. #17

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO makes 6 million, roughly. His knees are shot and they retired 2 yrs ago. Its basically buying a 1st round pick, in a good draft. I take it back, I wouldn't do it. Too much $ for a 20 something pick.
    With two picks in the 20s we might be able to trade into the teens.

  25. #18

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Well, the Pacers need to spend the money anyway, why not get a draft pick with it

  26. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I'd do it but more for the pick then for J.O.
    Giving the cap space for his short term deal wouldn't be an issue. We won't use that cap space anyway and when we need it he'll be gone.
    We'd be buying a pick for taking on J.O. 1 year contract. I'm not sure why the Celtics would do it though.

  27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I rather get Murphy, yes I'm serious.
    I'd rather get someone that can sustain defensive pressure and actually be an improvement to the team while Roy is on the bench.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  29. #21
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I wouldn't put Jermaine in Tinsley's category. The guy legitimately played through significant ailing injuries. It was only in his last year or so, when he wanted out that he started mailing it in. Before that, the guy always went into battle.

    That being said, if he wanted to be a mentor for Roy, and yes, he could teach Roy a thing or two with a limited role, I'd be fine with it. However, if he still thinks he's our starting center or power forward, no.

    My guess is he's not even on the Pacers' radar with Bird's still icy relationship with him.

  30. #22
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,002

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Anyone know if the two new guys on the roster, Famous and the other C, are any good?

  31. #23
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    I'm just looking at teams that are likely to pay the luxury tax this year, and seeing if they have overpaid backup centers they might want to get rid of.

    The deal makes sense.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  32. #24
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,363
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Jermaine is currently the only thing besides Garnett who even resembles a center on the Celtics roster.

  33. #25
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know if the two new guys on the roster, Famous and the other C, are any good?
    They might be solid third-string guys, but I wouldn't count on them for more than that. And with the money we have left, we ought to be able to pick up a decent backup. I strongly strongly strongly doubt Jeff is good for 66 games this season. And I like Jeff a lot.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Similar Threads

  1. SI Interview: A Jermaine Question
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
  2. SI Article on Jermaine O'Neal: What Would You Do?
    By canyoufeelit in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 04:26 PM
  3. O'Neal raises game; redeeming image harder
    By able in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:29 PM
  4. Jermaine O'Neal Speaks Out!
    By XXSASSXX31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 04:19 AM
  5. Good article about Jermaine O'Neal
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 11:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •