Thread: Joe Dumars hints at making move(s): Smart or dumb?

Mood

Default Joe Dumars hints at making move(s): Smart or dumb?

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/.../f02-58939.htm

I'm so used to Donnie and everything just kind of coming out of no where, that it strikes me odd that the Detroit GM is practically announcing a trade a week in advance.

My question is, does this strike you as an intelligent thing?

I would think whomever he's trading with would be annoyed/pissed if he's blabbing about it in advance.

Am I missing something here?

I guess I don't know why he's "announcing" it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Joe Dumars hints at making move(s): Smart or dumb?

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/.../f02-58939.htm

I'm so used to Donnie and everything just kind of coming out of no where, that it strikes me odd that the Detroit GM is practically announcing a trade a week in advance.

My question is, does this strike you as an intelligent thing?

I would think whomever he's trading with would be annoyed/pissed if he's blabbing about it in advance.

Am I missing something here?

I guess I don't know why he's "announcing" it.
    Hicks, you obviously never followed Joe DUmars before.

Every trade that he makes comes TOTALLY out of left field. He has NEVER done a deal that was even HINTED at before.

If he cant avoid talkign abotu it (liek now), then he's probably using a fake rumor as a smokescreen for his TRUE trade talks.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Mood

Every trade that he makes comes TOTALLY out of left field. He has NEVER done a deal that was even HINTED at before.
    Well, I'm not saying he historically blabs, I'm just pointing out that right now he's almost advertising a move, and that just strikes me as odd.

As for what the move is, who knows?

However, it does say that he wants to add a scorer for the now, and clear room for the future.

That says to me a scorer with an ending contract; a rental. Makes me think Rasheed Wallace.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this is just the opposite - he doesn't have anything on the table he likes and I think he's just using the media to get somebody to offer up more value for [Corliss?] - especially if Dumars can make another GM fear he's about to trade the player they covet to the Bulls for nearly nothing in return.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Well, I'm not saying he historically blabs, I'm just pointing out that right now he's almost advertising a move, and that just strikes me as odd.

However, it does say that he wants to add a scorer for the now, and clear room for the future.

That says to me a scorer with an ending contract; a rental. Makes me think Rasheed Wallace.
    Thats what %90 of Pistons fans think hes talking about as well, Hicks.

What could the Pistons offer that's better than anything the Blazers have on the table now? Just curios, as I dont follow the Detroit papers too much, but I didn't think any oftheir core players were on the table and Van Excel/Dampier seems to be more appealng than what the Pistons could offer.
    Actually, very little.

We can really only offer Milwaukee's pick this season, Corliss, Elden Campbell and Chucky Atkins. The difference is, NVE has already said he'll retire if he doesnt play in texas, and our deal gives the blazers a decent draft pick and more cap flexibility.

Nobody is saying Joe D. is offering good value, but if he can convince the Sixers to give up Iverson for Sackhouse, he can pull this off too.

Banned

What could the Pistons offer that's better than anything the Blazers have on the table now? Just curios, as I dont follow the Detroit papers too much, but I didn't think any oftheir core players were on the table and Van Excel/Dampier seems to be more appealng than what the Pistons could offer.
    Darko?

Would Detroit do that? Would Portland? Could they? They'd have to package him up somehow.

I don't think Portland would make a trade unless is was pretty good. I also think Paul Allen might be inclined to let Wallace walk at the end of the season, so it would have to be something real good to make him change his mind.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, very little.

We can really only offer Milwaukee's pick this season, Corliss, Elden Campbell and Chucky Atkins. The difference is, NVE has already said he'll retire if he doesnt play in texas, and our deal gives the blazers a decent draft pick and more cap flexibility.

Nobody is saying Joe D. is offering good value, but if he can convince the Sixers to give up Iverson for Sackhouse, he can pull this off too.
    I think NVE can opt out of his contract this season so they get a solid center in Dampier (in the deal being rumored) and 11 million or so in draft picks. The only way Detroit gets in this is if they offer Billups or Hamilton, as Corliss, Elden, and Atkins if they all even are free-agents aren't as good as Dampier and cap-space.

And what are you talking about with the Iverson and Stackhouse thing? That deal never obviously occured, although I knew it was kind of close, but being close and actually having it happen are two different animals.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Actually, very little.

I think NVE can opt out of his contract this season so they get a solid center in Dampier (in the deal being rumored) and 11 million or so in draft picks. The only way Detroit gets in this is if they offer Billups or Hamilton, as Corliss, Elden, and Atkins if they all even are free-agents aren't as good as Dampier and cap-space.

And what are you talking about with the Iverson and Stackhouse thing? That deal never obviously occured, although I knew it was kind of close, but being close and actually having it happen are two different animals.

The deal wasnt close, it was DONE. Matt Gieger just ahd to waive a clause in his contract, which he didnt. If that clause doesnt exists, the deal happens.

We wouldnt trade Darko for 12 Rasheed Wallaces, btw.

Frankly, I dont know HOW Joe plans to get Sheed without giving up his core group of Billups, Rip, Darko, Memo and Ben, but I wouldnt put it past him...