View Poll Results: Who Is The Pacers' Third Best Player?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Darren Collison

9 6.77%
  • Jeff Foster

2 1.50%
  • Paul George

36 27.07%
  • Tyler Hansbrough

10 7.52%
  • Roy Hibbert

63 47.37%
  • George Hill

19 14.29%
  • Dahntay Jones

1 0.75%
  • AJ Price

1 0.75%
  • Brandon Rush

1 0.75%
  • Lance Stephenson

4 3.01%
  • Danny 1st Roy 2nd West 3rd (vnzla81)

4 3.01%
  • D. West (PacerHound)

5 3.76%
  • Paul George 1st (PaulGeorge)

2 1.50%
  • 1st Hibbert 2nd Hill 3rd Granger (Pacersalltheway10)

2 1.50%
  • Danny Granger (TheHoosierDude)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Is Our Third Best Player?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who Is Our Third Best Player?

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it's fair to assume anyone on this team is the best or second best player. People want to bring up a playoff series where we lost 1-4 as evidence that Danny is #1, but for the vast majority of last season he was maybe our best player for a 1 month stretch. His game left a lot to be desired most of last year. And West has yet to put on a Pacers uni or prove he's over his knee injury. So I think all players should be included in the poll.
    Sheesh, you are SO biased against Danny it's crazy. Danny was easily our best player, not because he had his best season, or went the extra mile, but because we really had no competition for that title. Who? Hansbrough? Same criticism, and he still wasn't better than granger even during the second half of the season, just playing above expectations, and he was the worse pacer on the whole team in the playoffs after the first game. Roy? He was our best player for the first month of the season, but after that no way... Who? Who was our best player last year Mr. Croz, if not Granger.
    Sheesh. And no anthem, if you know the thread title is, and that Croz has posted in it, you can predict the gist of his post with about 95 percent accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I can't be the only one who saw croz's name and immediately thought "He's going to say it should be Danny Granger."

And we were agreeing on so many things, croz!
    Not saying I would or wouldn't rank Granger first/second. But it's undeniable there were several times last year George, Hibbert, and even Collison were the better overall basketball player. And with the West injury, it should be open for discussion imo. But it's definitely a difficult question to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    Right now it's George Hill and it's not even close. He's a 2 way player who's been a major contributor on an excellent basketball team for his entire career. Other guys have more long-term potential, but none of them have even come close to putting it together like Hill has at this point.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    I couldn't agree more. George Hill has been one of the top players for one of the best teams in the league the past few years. He defends, he hits the 3, he slashes..he is a complete package

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Not saying I would or wouldn't rank Granger first/second. But it's undeniable there were several times last year George, Hibbert, and even Collison were the better overall basketball player. And with the West injury, it should be open for discussion imo. But it's definitely a difficult question to answer.
    For the record, I have no idea of an answer either. I'm looking forward to finding out, though.

That's why they play the games.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Sheesh, you are SO biased against Danny it's crazy. Danny was easily our best player, not because he had his best season, or went the extra mile, but because we really had no competition for that title. Who? Hansbrough? Same criticism, and he still wasn't better than granger even during the second half of the season, just playing above expectations, and he was the worse pacer on the whole team in the playoffs after the first game. Roy? He was our best player for the first month of the season, but after that no way... Who? Who was our best player last year Mr. Croz, if not Granger.
    Sheesh. And no anthem, if you know the thread title is, and that Croz has posted in it, you can predict the gist of his post with about 95 percent accuracy.
    Again, I never said he wasn't our best player. Anyone who thinks Danny had a good year last year is just fooling themselves. The man refused to play defense the majority of the time and again saw his fg% dip to 42.5%, turnovers increase, and assists decrease. Quit acting like Danny had this amazing season. My post was to state that the Pacers 1st, 2nd, 3rd best player should be open for debate with all players listed in the poll.

Banned

The Pacers best player is Danny, the second best player is Roy and if healthy the third best player is West, if he is not healthy then I don't know, maybe PG?

IMO Paul George is the 3rd best while Danny is 1st and D. West is 2nd if fully healthy. I voted for Paul George for 3rd but i do believe it is close with him, Tyler and Collison. I give Paul George the edge based on athletic ability and Defense. I know a lot of people will wonder why I did not mention Roy and its because I have not seen a consistency out of him. While we saw what Tyler could do fairly consistently evry night once he got playing time.
    Last edited by trs72; 12-15-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

fwiw,

according to the ESPN rankings, the top pacer player is danny granger, #36. David West is 2nd at #45. the 3rd best player is up for grabs between George Hill, #91, Darren Collison, #94 and Roy Hibbert, #96.

Um...can I come back to this a few weeks into the season? It honestly could end up being Paul, Roy or neither depending on how much they've improved.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

I think it is gonna be very hard to rank our players like proposed in this thread..
    The depth chart around 1 thru 8 on this roster are all so very talented, that it will constantly go back and forth between them all.. making it hard to decide, unless you go purely off stats alone... But stats, as many know, don't tell the whole story... or place the value on a particular player in corelation to their importance to the team.

We have so many guys who are on the cusp of breaking out, it really is unbelievable...

I mean wow... can you imagine if we have 3 or 4 of our young guys just totally click this year and hit that "other level" ?

Roy, DC, Hans, PG , Lance, Hill

Then you have the veterans who could have an excellent season such as
    DG and West..

This season and next, we as Pacer fans are gonna witness something very special with this team..

I am just glad that I get to be along for the ride, because it's gonna be a good one...
    Last edited by Kemo; 12-15-2011 at 12:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

funny how Hibbert and George are 1 and 2 when they both sucked last season lol

Well, let's see:

1. Troy "Stretch" Murphy, the Matador!
    2. Mike "High Basketball IQ" Dunlimpy, "like a son to JOB"
    3. Danny "I don't care anymore; I'm tired of JOB" Granger

Wrong, those days are over. Hurrah!!!

People, it's wonderful to be starting a new season with the new group of players and Frank Vogel at the helm. I was so disgusted with the JOB era that I didn't enjoy Pacers basketballl anymore. I'd still, masochistically, watch most of the games, but was completely disgusted by the way the team played and particularly by O'Brien's leadership and direction. We've got better players now and Granger and others are going to show that they are better players than what we've seen.

Let's get it started. I can't wait!

Mood

This is a great question, and I LOVE that there's a real debate over it, not because the team sucks so bad that we really don't know, but because there's actually a lot of talent and potential and different skill sets on this roster.

George Hill should be given serious consideration. I voted for Big Roy because I think his ceiling is higher and he has much more bearing on whether or not the Pacers win. But Hill is a very good player and will certainly bring a lot to this team as well.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    "Best player" is a little hard to define. I don't believe George Hill is our third best player for a few reasons:

1) We would have a more difficult time winning games without Roy, than without George Hill. So, that's his direct practical effect.

2) Hibbert's market value is higher. Yes, that's potential, but it could also fall under the "best player" definition.

3) Finally, I think if you were building starting units from best to worst in the EC, Hibbert would be picked before George Hill. I'd have to go through the exercise of making those picks to be sure though.

In any event, the practical effect of the Pacers losing Roy Hibbert would be much greater. It's not even remotely close.
    I totally agree that Roy is more valuable or more important to the Pacers than George Hill. In fact, I would probably say that Roy's play will be more important to the Pacers than any other player on the roster. I ran the numbers earlier this offseason and the Pacers won something like 65% of the games where Roy scored above his scoring average.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I was going to say George Hill to start the season, Roy Hibbert to finish it, but you make an interesting argument.

A lot of this is positional though, it has more to do with how much more important a good center is than a good combo guard. Right now, however, George Hill is the more reliable and polished player.

I think Roy could surpass him game 1 if he has improved from last year much at all, though consistency is one of the most important things when determining "best players" IMO.

Paul George talk is premature. The question is "best" player, as in results on the court right now... not most talented.
    I agree with IMF here mainly because of two words: reliable and consistency. I don't think either one of those words applies to Roy Hibbert at all.

Also, I don't think that you can project improvement into this issue. George, Hibbert, Collison, and Hansbrough could all develop into better players than George Hill. They could also all fall short of ever being a top 5 player on a really good team.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think you have to make this judgment while considering position. There are just a larger number of good guards and SF's because there is such a greater pool of people that size. What I'm saying is, it is far easier to improve your back court and SF position and acquiring a player you might consider to be "good". Also, the skill set is so different. Who's the better C? It's like comparing apples and oranges if you try to directly compare the players.
    Agreed with the apples to oranges idea, but I guess I should define what I think "best" means. To me it's a combination of versatility, positional ability, and reliability/consistency. Hill can play 2 positions, is an above average defender and (at least) an average offensive player at both of these positions. Roy plays 1 position where, at this point, I don't think he can be considered any better than average at either offense or defense. The questions I ask myself are then: How often can I rely on George Hill to do the things that I want/need/expect a PG/SG to be able to do? How often can I rely on Roy Hibbert to be able to do the things I want/need/expect a C to be able to do? I think I can rely on Hill to do his "job" as a PG/SG more often than I can expect Hibbert to his "job" as a center.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I was on it before he got here. I watched New Orleans a lot for Chris Paul. I talked him up a boat load, and he didn't deliver last year. I sure hope he comes through this year.
    I know what the problem is, it looks to me like every player you support or like goes straight to sucky land, first Dunleavy and now DC, you need to stop while you can

According to 2k it's d west...yeah seriously u kno what's even more crazy. The number two spot...Darren Collison, yeah really!

Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    Right now it's George Hill and it's not even close. He's a 2 way player who's been a major contributor on an excellent basketball team for his entire career. Other guys have more long-term potential, but none of them have even come close to putting it together like Hill has at this point.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    I couldn't agree more. George Hill has been one of the top players for one of the best teams in the league the past few years. He defends, he hits the 3, he slashes..he is a complete package

Quote Originally Posted by 3 8 thee great t h View Post
    According to 2k it's d west...yeah seriously u kno what's even more crazy. The number two spot...Darren Collison, yeah really!
    On my MyPlayer season, the Pacers traded Hansbrough and Hill for Reddick, siiick!

PG is at least (relatively) really good on 2k12.

Sports Logo

Probably DC or Roy

Quote Originally Posted by pezasied182 View Post
    On my MyPlayer season, the Pacers traded Hansbrough and Hill for Reddick, siiick!

PG is at least (relatively) really good on 2k12.
    Lol he is and that's not sick that's sad..I played for the kings and got Westbrook and harden for cousins...NOW THATS SICK!

And robbery I might add lol

I was going to say Paul George be because when he is aggressive on offense he has the ability to be a good scorer, but then I thoughtful of Rush. When he is aggressive on offense he is arguably the most complete player on the team. That kind of ruined my arguement. So I don't even know who is the se fond best because with all of them therre is always an if. There are only 3 things I'm certain of. Granger is the best, Hibbert is the most important, and George has the highest potential.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    we are still assuming Lance is the best right...?
    this gets my vote

Lol he is and that's not sick that's sad..I played for the kings and got Westbrook and harden for cousins...NOW THATS SICK!

And robbery I might add lol
    I was kidding, I obviously wasn't thrilled about the "upgrade." My player is a point though so having Hill off the team opened up my guy to more minutes at pg as I was getting mostly sg minutes before. Now though the backup pf is Posey which sucks...

And Westbrook and Harden for Cousins? That's a nice trade for you, but wow the computer makes some dumb trades in that game.

Collisons a great video game player... i traded him last year though

George will be a Top5 in this league

PAUL GEORGEEEE