View Poll Results: Who Is The Pacers' Third Best Player?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Darren Collison

9 6.77%
  • Jeff Foster

2 1.50%
  • Paul George

36 27.07%
  • Tyler Hansbrough

10 7.52%
  • Roy Hibbert

63 47.37%
  • George Hill

19 14.29%
  • Dahntay Jones

1 0.75%
  • AJ Price

1 0.75%
  • Brandon Rush

1 0.75%
  • Lance Stephenson

4 3.01%
  • Danny 1st Roy 2nd West 3rd (vnzla81)

4 3.01%
  • D. West (PacerHound)

5 3.76%
  • Paul George 1st (PaulGeorge)

2 1.50%
  • 1st Hibbert 2nd Hill 3rd Granger (Pacersalltheway10)

2 1.50%
  • Danny Granger (TheHoosierDude)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Is Our Third Best Player?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Who Is Our Third Best Player?

I apologize if this has been brought up already, but I haven't really seen a consensus. To me it seems like an interesting issue. I preface this by saying I'm quite sure we (almost?) all agree that Danny and Fluffy are our top two players, Danny probably being the best, but that's neither here nor there. I'm posting this as a poll, hope it works. (I'm including pretty much everyone, aware that some will get little/no votes.)

Edit: If you would like to specify whether you are voting for beginning of season, end of season, middle or whatever, please go ahead. I'm thinking of the beginning of the season in my brain.
    Last edited by AesopRockOn; 12-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who Is Our Third Best Player?

Hibbert probably commands the most attention, my guess is him if he can consistently bring it. However, it wouldn't surprise me if George or Hill come out with some vengeance.

Dutch Pacers Fan

If Roy is able to be the power player Vogel wants him to be, with the improved squad we'll have, he might make a big jump statistically as teams can't load up on him as much like they did in the past. If those two things do play out, I'd give Roy a chance to receive MIP and be a top 6/7 center in the league.

As much as I am awed at times by George's potential, I don't expect him to make such a jump just yet.
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacersgroningen For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

4-way tie

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

we are still assuming Lance is the best right...?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

how did crunk-juice vote 5 times?

I think Hibbert (right now, at least) is our third best player. As far as success on the court is concerned, I maintain that Hibbert is our most important player. Look back at the games where he played well, and we were incredibly difficult to beat. If he brings that consistency all season, we could end up with a shockingly good record (and something like a 3 seed in the playoffs).

I can't decide until I see it on the floor. Right now I'm " leaning towards" DC because of the West addition, plus I am thinking Tyler worked on the pick and pop a lot in the long off season. These will both make DC shine. It is a hard choice though. We have five guys poised fir breakout years. DC, Tyler, Hill, George, and Roy. Excellent poll.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how did crunk-juice vote 5 times?
    i'm a wizard

I voted Paul George on the hope that he makes a big jump. If he does this team is in for some serious improvement. When Hibbert goes from the #2 guy on the team to #4, that would just be ... awesome.

Here's to hoping!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

#1 Pacers Fan

At this point I'll vote for Roy Hibbert, but it could end up being Paul George. The dude grew to 6'10" over the course of the summer, and he's still just as quick as ever. I have to see the two play in the two preseason games and I might change my mind, but right now Big Roy gets my vote.

Probably Roy as of when I saw these guys last, but I'm thinking it will be Paul George soon.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well I picked Roy as 3rd... But I know who the best is..... LANCE BABY!!!!! Per Bird...
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Paul, Tyler, and Roy. All have strengths. All have weaknesses. All can have big impacts on games from their given positions that are either positive or negative. So, behind Danny and Fluffy, it is a tie between all three and I voted accordingly. If we had still had McRoberts and Dunleavy, I would have included them as well.

We should end up as an exceptionally deep, multifaceted team that is one superstar away from being a recognized factor in the playoffs by the media. But, that's OK, we will be a factor that is recognized by the other teams regardless. Just like the saying about Tyler -- "Nobody wants to play against the Indiana Pacers. NOBODY!"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's Roy and that's how the league sees it to. It was pretty eye opening to hear David talking about how Roy other than Danny is the one guy opposing defenses collapse and focus on. If he's more immovable (from the post) this year we may be having conversations about who our second best player is in the near future.

Mood

Roy Hibbert. He has shown the talent on a more consistent basis than Paul George so far. PG24 might make the jump this year, but it's hard to say now. Also, I think Hibbert will improve again this year from added strength and the addition of Fluffy.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Right now it's George Hill and it's not even close. He's a 2 way player who's been a major contributor on an excellent basketball team for his entire career. Other guys have more long-term potential, but none of them have even come close to putting it together like Hill has at this point.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

25. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

"Best player" is a little hard to define. I don't believe George Hill is our third best player for a few reasons:

1) We would have a more difficult time winning games without Roy, than without George Hill. So, that's his direct practical effect.

2) Hibbert's market value is higher. Yes, that's potential, but it could also fall under the "best player" definition.

3) Finally, I think if you were building starting units from best to worst in the EC, Hibbert would be picked before George Hill. I'd have to go through the exercise of making those picks to be sure though.

In any event, the practical effect of the Pacers losing Roy Hibbert would be much greater. It's not even remotely close.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

After this season I can garuntee people will be all on the Collison bandwagon again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    After this season I can garuntee people will be all on the Collison bandwagon again.
    I was on it before he got here. I watched New Orleans a lot for Chris Paul. I talked him up a boat load, and he didn't deliver last year. I sure hope he comes through this year.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    "Best player" is a little hard to define. I don't believe George Hill is our third best player for a few reasons:

1) We would have a more difficult time winning games without Roy, than without George Hill. So, that's his direct practical effect.

2) Hibbert's market value is higher. Yes, that's potential, but it could also fall under the "best player" definition.

3) Finally, I think if you were building starting units from best to worst in the EC, Hibbert would be picked before George Hill. I'd have to go through the exercise of making those picks to be sure though.

In any event, the practical effect of the Pacers losing Roy Hibbert would be much greater. It's not even remotely close.
    I was going to say George Hill to start the season, Roy Hibbert to finish it, but you make an interesting argument.

A lot of this is positional though, it has more to do with how much more important a good center is than a good combo guard. Right now, however, George Hill is the more reliable and polished player.

I think Roy could surpass him game 1 if he has improved from last year much at all, though consistency is one of the most important things when determining "best players" IMO.

Paul George talk is premature. The question is "best" player, as in results on the court right now... not most talented.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 12-14-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I don't think it's fair to assume anyone on this team is the best or second best player. People want to bring up a playoff series where we lost 1-4 as evidence that Danny is #1, but for the vast majority of last season he was maybe our best player for a 1 month stretch. His game left a lot to be desired most of last year. And West has yet to put on a Pacers uni or prove he's over his knee injury. So I think all players should be included in the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I was going to say George Hill to start the season, Roy Hibbert to finish it, but you make an interesting argument.

A lot of this is positional though, it has more to do with how much more important a good center is than a good combo guard. Right now, however, George Hill is the more reliable and polished player.

I think Roy could surpass him game 1 if he has improved from last year much at all, though consistency is one of the most important things when determining "best players" IMO.

Paul George talk is premature. The question is "best" player, as in results on the court right now... not most talented.
    I think you have to make this judgment while considering position. There are just a larger number of good guards and SF's because there is such a greater pool of people that size. What I'm saying is, it is far easier to improve your back court and SF position and acquiring a player you might consider to be "good". Also, the skill set is so different. Who's the better C? It's like comparing apples and oranges if you try to directly compare the players.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    I don't think it's fair to assume anyone on this team is the best or second best player. People want to bring up a playoff series where we lost 1-4 as evidence that Danny is #1, but for the vast majority of last season he was maybe our best player for a 1 month stretch. His game left a lot to be desired most of last year. And West has yet to put on a Pacers uni or prove he's over his knee injury. So I think all players should be included in the poll.
    I'm not a Granger fan, but it's undeniable that he's the best player on the Pacers. He may not be the most talented, but he is the best NBA player for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    I can't be the only one who saw croz's name and immediately thought "He's going to say it should be Danny Granger."

And we were agreeing on so many things, croz!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!