Thread: Tyren Johnson and the Development League Free Agents

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tyren Johnson and the Development League Free Agents

I'm sorry if I'm rehashing a topic that's already been discussed but I haven't noticed Tyren Johnson being mentioned as a player the Pacers could consider signing to the regular season roster.

He's currently on the training camp roster and is listed as a 6-8 combo forward that can "make it rain" from the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by NBADL website
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Johnson, the third in RGV's assortment of athletes, looks to have the best chance of the three, as a 6-8 swingman who can make it rain. http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/pros...011_12_13.html
    Here's a Youtube video he posted:

He reminds me of Shanwne Williams. He's about the same height and has a similar build.

Do you think he makes the cut? Are there any other DLeague players out there that the Pacers should look into that are playing on other NBA squad camps if they become available?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tyren Johnson and the Development League Free Agents

This info is from his website:

http://tyrenjohnson.com/Home.html

He led his team in five different statistical categories - including points, rebounds and assists - and ranked in the Top 10 in the league in several categories throughout the entire 2009-10 season. On Tuesday, he received a well deserved honor.

University of Louisiana men's basketball senior forward Tyren Johnson has been named the 2009-10 Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year, it was announced by the league office.

With the award Johnson joins select company in Ragin' Cajuns basketball history. He joins the legendary Dwight "Bo" Lamar, Andrew Toney and Michael Allen as the only Cajuns to be named a conference's Player of the Year since the program joined Division I.

Johnson's selection as SBC Player of the Year is the first for UL - and only second since joining the league in 1991-92 - since Allen's selection in 1994.

Johnson is Louisiana's first outright selection as SBC Player of the Year, as Allen shared the top honor in 1994 with Arkansas State's Jeff Clifton.

Johnson was also an All-Sun Belt Conference First Team selection as voted on by the league's 26-member panel (each of the league's 13 head coaches along with a 13-member media panel with one representative who covers each school).

The Vacherie, La., native finished the regular season as the leading scorer in the Sun Belt - both overall and in conference-games only. Johnson averaged 18.0 points per game, overall, and 19.7 points per game in SBC games.

He led Louisiana in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. Johnson was the only player in the Sun Belt to lead his team in all five of those categories.

He led the Ragin' Cajuns to only the second undefeated record in Sun Belt play (9-0) at the Cajundome and first since 2001-02. In SBC games at the Cajundome, Johnson averaged 21.2 points, shot 53 percent, and grabbed 7.4 rebounds per game.

Johnson enters the 2010 Sun Belt Conference Tournament having scored double figures in 18 straight games a streak which dates back to the Dec. 28 game with Centenary.

During the season he posted seven double-doubles, scored 20-plus points 12 times, plus had a total of 25 double-figure scoring games. He was the Cajuns' leading rebounder in 24 of 29 games.

Johnson scored 400-plus points and grabbed 200-plus rebounds making him the first Cajuns player since 2005-06 to have a 400 point/200 rebound season.

On Thursday, Feb. 25 at North Texas he moved over 500 points which was the program's first occurrence since 2006-07.

He dished out seven assists four times and collected four steals three times. Johnson made at least eight field goals 13 times finishing the regular season with 199 field goal makes.

It was a breakout season for Johnson as his point total this season exceeded the total from his previous three combined by well over 100 points.

Johnson finished the season strong averaging 22.3 points per game in February helping to keep Louisiana in the race for the overall league championship until the final weekend.

Johnson and his Ragin' Cajuns teammates travel to Hot Springs, Ark., this week to participate in the 2010 Sun Belt Conference Tournament. UL meets UL Monroe on Saturday, March 6 at 9 p.m., on the Convention Center Court.

Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Player of the Year Selections (since joining Division I in 1971-72)
    1971-72 - Dwight "Bo" Lamar (Southland)
    1977-78 - Andrew Toney (Southland)
    1979-80 - Andrew Toney (Southland)
    1993-94 - Michael Allen (Sun Belt)
    2009-10 - Tyren Johnson (Sun Belt
    He looks interesting.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Have not heard any word from how the invited players have done in camp, but I think he has the best shot, him and Famous
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have not heard any word from how the invited players have done in camp, but I think he has the best shot, him and Famous
    i would guess famous or one of the other bigs. even with the addition of dwest, the pacers are thin in the frontcourt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post: