Thread: Does the new CBA work in controlling salaries?

Default Does the new CBA work in controlling salaries?

Simple question: Does the new cba work in controlling player salaries and was the lockout worth it?
    Once Nene signs for his 5/67 all the major free agents will be locked up.
    Gasol was the only one who signed a max contract and it wasn't that much due to his time in the league.
    Nene didn't get the max, and Chandler received less. I guarantee that when West opted out of the last year of his contract he thought he'd be getting more then 10 mil per for a 2 year deal. McBob gets mini mle money when most on here thought he would net real MLE money. Crawford's going to get less then half of what he made last year on a short term deal. He would have taken a pay cut under the old cba but I still think he would have landed somewhere for 4-5 years starting at 6-7 mil.
    Simply put, I think it worked.
    I know Nene and Chandler aren't Lebron but they're productive starting centers which have always been way overpaid in the past. I think under the old CBA they both would have max contracts right now. West might be close to that as well under the old cba. Look at the contract Brand got while coming back from a major injury.
    I hope the trend continues. I know Howard and Paul are getting theirs but it gives me hope that we won't be faced with overpaying for Hibbert and George when the time comes.

Default Re: Does the new CBA work in controlling salaries?

Supposed to be a 10% escrow, the players pay into to make sure their salaries stay below the 50%. But the way some of these contracts will be handed out, i'm not sure it will be enough.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

I think that the numbers, paced by the growth with the league, will become a little more "manageable"...but in my opinion the biggest thing the league did was lower the length of the contracts.

If the contracts handed out this year are an indication of what's to come, I don't think the escrow will be a big deal long term. I'd say this free agent class will sign for perhaps 15-20% less then they would have under the old cba. The new rules have changed Cubans approach and the big spenders have been the reason everyone else had to overpay. I'm hoping we've seen the last of mediocre players signing for max contracts.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

I bet if you went back and looked at those large 6 and 7 year deals from the mid 2000's that well over than 1/2 of them turned into bad deals for the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet if you went back and looked at those large 6 and 7 year deals from the mid 2000's that well over than 1/2 of them turned into bad deals for the teams.
    I agree and signing guys like Nene, Chandler and West to max contract while signing guys like McBob to contracts starting at the MLE were the loins share of that problem.
    Nene, Chandler and West could have all signed for 5 year max contracts for over 101 mil. None of them got close to that. West was the big question mark with his health but I'd compare his free agency to Brands who still got the max deal while using LAC's Bird rights in a forced sign and trade. Killing Bird rights in a sign and trade and making it tough on guys like Cuban to over spend and try to buy a championship seems to have had it's desired effect. I think last year at least 2 of these guys would have had max contracts.
    Another big issue is getting average players big paydays starting with the full MLE. It's something that has really bitten owners over time and the owners have reeled their spending in on this over the past few years but the new rules make it more likely that they won't do this. McBob is a great guy and I'll miss him but he wasn't worth that kind of money. Given the old rules where tax teams received the full mle and the penalties weren't as stiff, and I think he along with a few others get a 4 year contract starting at 5.4 mil. Sorry to use McBob as an example but he's the first player to become a victim of the new mini mle.
    Overall I still think a hard cap and the end of guaranteed contracts would be much better, but judging things off this free agency and the impact these contracts will have going forward, it looks like the new cba is better.