Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crawford turns down Pacers offer

Default Re: Crawford turns down Pacers offer

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hummm, Because he's still better then Hill, Rush, Jones, Lance, Price and he can create his own shot and actually make one unlike the names mentioned.
    I don't want to marry the guy, just rent him for the year!
    Given enough attempts, sure he can make one. Again the guy has made a career out of "getting his". You let Rush, Hill, Jones, etc take 14fga and they too would average 18+ppg and with a better fg%. Crawford is NOT an efficient offensive player and adding him to play alongside our young core will only hinder their development. Don't think it's wise for us to add an inefficient volume shooter at $5+mil.

Gotta Play Big

Considering he is on the downside of his career, I have a difficult time believing Crawford can command much more than 5M/yr. Maybe 6M. I hope if he's still around the Pacers offer him another half million a year. Man, it's amazing how much these guys are paid.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He seems to be considering three teams:

1) Sacto: Must be offering the most money
    2) Portland: Closest to his hometown of Seattle
    3) Knicks: He played most of his career there and provides a really good chance to win. Would kind of right a wrong.

We were offering the same money as Portland, but he would rather go almost home.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like we dropped the ball on this one.

Went from getting one of two useful potential combo guards, to getting none at all

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Man, it's amazing how much these guys are paid.

When you try to comprehend it, it really does just blow you away. I can't even fathom what having that kind of money would be like.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    When you try to comprehend it, it really does just blow you away. I can't even fathom what having that kind of money would be like.
    Deep breath....Relieved!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Gotta Play Big

Yes. An "extra" half million a year...as if that's a 3% raise or something.

Are we now going to focus our attention to Mayo??

McBob is gone, so that S&T will not work.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Are we now going to focus our attention to Mayo??

McBob is gone, so that S&T will not work.
    Bird has to do something and he seems determined to get one of the two.

If Crawford is gone soon, then I think he'll push for Mayo. Give Memphis trade exception, for starters.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Crawford is proof that pro basketball players aren't always the most intelligent people. He thinks he can go elsewhere for less money and prove himself worthy of a larger contract on next years free agent market. At his age the money will only go downhill from here. He won't be getting another 5 mil contract offer again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, missing out on Mayo and Crawford. If the Pacers stand pat, where does that leave them financially for next summer? Good enough to make an offer the Clips cant match on Gordon if he chooses not to extend there and becomes a RFA?

There is nothing the Clippers wouldn't match.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    So, missing out on Mayo and Crawford. If the Pacers stand pat, where does that leave them financially for next summer? Good enough to make an offer the Clips cant match on Gordon if he chooses not to extend there and becomes a RFA?
    Only like $33mil on the books for next season, however that doesn't include cap holds for Hibbert and Hill (and also Rush, but I bet we'll renounce his rights immediately.) So yes, room for a max contract to Gordon where the team stand now, but my guess is the Clips immediately match it and Bird doesn't offer it in the first place.

However, if the Clips struggle this season I could see Sterling getting cheap again with his money. He spent a lot this offseason.

I couldn't even fathom what having 1/80th of 10 million dollars, in cold hard cash would be like... ; let alone millions...

NBA players are definitely among the most blessed of mortals ... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw in the remaining FA thread that Stephen Graham makes a million dollars. Stephen Graham. A million dollars.

Mood

Eh, i say just go into the season as we are. The trade deadline is still a long ways away, and we were gonna have a hard enough time juggling backcourt minutes as it is without someone like crawford coming over and expecting 30 MPG.

I'm comfortable with George and Hill that spot.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I saw in the remaining FA thread that Stephen Graham makes a million dollars. Stephen Graham. A million dollars.
    This is a whole 'nother thread but, to play devil's advocate, Stephen Graham will likely make how much over his career? 10 million? More? Probably not. That's high. Assuming no taxes or no expenses (incredibly unrealistic), Graham now has to make that 10 million last from 20 until death. There is an NBA pension that kicks in at 62 but it is less than generous for players that have a small career (the average per annum under the last CBA was around 50K). Assuming that Graham lives until 80 years old, that's 10 million over 60 years, which is about 160K/year.

This is a basic model--players can certainly invest money. However, they are also likely to have expenses and serious tax deductions (I also may have gotten some of the nuances of the pension wrong--more knowledgeable folks can correct me).

To further complicate the story, there is a whole literature in behavioral economics about how people with lumpsum salaries or lottery winners are worse at savings and investment. Thus, we would expect players--regular folks that make most of their money in a short period of time--to be particularly bad at saving and investing their money for a variety of reasons.

Sure, NBA salaries are inflated. However, they aren't as inflated as they might seem at first glance. Definitely 1% level, but not as egregious as it might seem.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Crawford is proof that pro basketball players aren't always the most intelligent people. He thinks he can go elsewhere for less money and prove himself worthy of a larger contract on next years free agent market. At his age the money will only go downhill from here. He won't be getting another 5 mil contract offer again.
    Or maybe he thinks his value is more likely to decrease on a team that's fairly crowded at the guard spots.

If I were him, I'd take Brandon Roy's spot in Portland for the $5mil, opt out after one year, and look to sign with some team (maybe even Portland) for more next year when even more teams will have cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This is a whole 'nother thread but, to play devil's advocate, Stephen Graham will likely make how much over his career? 10 million? More? Probably not. That's high. Assuming no taxes or no expenses (incredibly unrealistic), Graham now has to make that 10 million last from 20 until death. There is an NBA pension that kicks in at 62 but it is less than generous for players that have a small career (the average per annum under the last CBA was around 50K). Assuming that Graham lives until 80 years old, that's 10 million over 60 years, which is about 160K/year.

This is a basic model--players can certainly invest money. However, they are also likely to have expenses and serious tax deductions (I also may have gotten some of the nuances of the pension wrong--more knowledgeable folks can correct me).

To further complicate the story, there is a whole literature in behavioral economics about how people with lumpsum salaries or lottery winners are worse at savings and investment. Thus, we would expect players--regular folks that make most of their money in a short period of time--to be particularly bad at saving and investing their money for a variety of reasons.

Sure, NBA salaries are inflated. However, they aren't as inflated as they might seem at first glance. Definitely 1% level, but not as egregious as it might seem.
    So players must earn a lifetime of money in a few seasons of basketball....What makes them entitled to to a lifetime of earnings in a few seasons? Why can't it be after their basketball career they have to do what everyone else does and find a job (or jobs) for the rest of their life? Why does basketball have to fund the rest of their lives?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    So players must earn a lifetime of money in a few seasons of basketball....What makes them entitled to to a lifetime of earnings in a few seasons? Why can't it be after their basketball career they have to do what everyone else does and find a job (or jobs) for the rest of their life? Why does basketball have to fund the rest of their lives?
    I think a lot of them do try to find jobs for the rest of their lives. Many go back to school.

That being said, we are the ones who entitle them. We create the market for professional sports. The salary cap and, by extension, salaries are based off of basketball-related income. Fan consumption is, more or less, basketball-related income.

Basketball players have a certain skillset for which there exists a lucrative market. It's really not different from talented lawyers or investment bankers. Inflated compared to our salaries, yes. Inflated compared to market value? Arguably, no.

Moreover, because they have to focus on maximize their basketball income, many of these guys are poorly equipped to do anything else. Here, we, as consumers, have indirectly created serious social pressures that leave many of these folks ill-equipped to handle the windfall that comes their way during their 20s and the task of finding post-basketball income after their 20s.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post: