Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, Jamal Crawford, or the man behind curtain #3?

Mood

Default So, Jamal Crawford, or the man behind curtain #3?

Who are we down to now? Jamal Crawford is obvious. Afflalo WOULD be obvious, but he's a restricted free agent and there's virtually no chance we overpay him to the point that Denver lets him go.

So... what's left behind the curtain? Another trade? Another free agent we're not talking enough about?

Who is left?

Some have brought up Rodney Stuckey. Let's say he'd agree to be a shooting guard (which is what he really is anyway). Can he create his own shot effectively? How much do you think he would cost per year?

Other than Stuckey, who else is still an interesting free agent at SG?

Then on the other hand, what about trades?

Default Re: So, Jamal Crawford, or the man behind curtain #3?

In terms of FA's, if we can't get Crawford (Who seemingly will never make up his mind), then I'd rather go into the season with what we have.

Just let our young guards play.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Or take the cash prize and walk away.

In other words I'm not sure right now we need to make any more moves other than for obvious upgrades.

Sure I'd like to get rid of Rush but it's pretty obvious that his value around the league is as high as a flea's butt.

I'm willing to see what Lance can do and I think Hill will be better than people think.

Right now I think we have the depth and talent to be 5th or 6th in the east and damn that feels so much better than in years past.

I think Paul George is going to blow up, I really do. He & Granger are going to be a fierce one two punch.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stuckey is going to cost 8-10 million. Crawford will probably cost 8. I'm not sure the motivation between either of those.

My team is on the floor.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I think they'll either get Crawford for a reasonable deal or they'll just go into the season with what they have. The Pacers still have enough flexibility to make a deadline deal if they need to.

Hibbert/Foster/Training camp big
    West/Hansbrough/Pendergraph
    Granger
    George/Jones/Rush
    Collison/Hill/Price/Stephenson
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Detroit re-signed forward Jonas Jerebko and signed guards Kareem Rush, Walker Russell Jr. and Brian Hamilton and center Jake Voskuhl and waived guards Kareem Rush and Richard Hamilton.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/transactions.htm#ixzz1gRJ6ZJFk

What about picking up Rip Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee-Squared View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Detroit re-signed forward Jonas Jerebko and signed guards Kareem Rush, Walker Russell Jr. and Brian Hamilton and center Jake Voskuhl and waived guards Kareem Rush and Richard Hamilton.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/transactions.htm#ixzz1gRJ6ZJFk

What about picking up Rip Hamilton?
    From everything I've read, he's very close to signing with the Bulls.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

I think we end up signing Crawford for something like 3 years/28 million. Just a prediction.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

I'd like to get Mayo for nothing. Stockpiling valuable assets is a good thing. But who's going to play what minutes? Seems all our guards would have to play less.

Let's say we get Mayo for a S&T McBob only. We'd still have Rush and Enferno who'd never see the court. While that doesn't bother me, it's also not fair to them cause they are decent players.

I'm not intrigued by Crawford.

I'm fine with what we have to be honest, and keep the rest of our cap, cause you know there'll be movement by the trade deadline, and we could help facilitate trades.

So I'm for Mayo or help facilitate trades later to hopefully pick up a valuable piece. Can we trade Rush for a pick? I'd be down with that.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Or take the cash prize and walk away.

In other words I'm not sure right now we need to make any more moves other than for obvious upgrades.

Sure I'd like to get rid of Rush but it's pretty obvious that his value around the league is as high as a flea's butt.

I'm willing to see what Lance can do and I think Hill will be better than people think.

Right now I think we have the depth and talent to be 5th or 6th in the east and damn that feels so much better than in years past.

I think Paul George is going to blow up, I really do. He & Granger are going to be a fierce one two punch.
    Why not shoot higher and add a piece that you think can do that? I know we're all excited already with the changes thus far, but let's not settle unnecessarily.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

We need to get a center for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Why not shoot higher and add a piece that you think can do that? I know we're all excited already with the changes thus far, but let's not settle unnecessarily.
    Like who?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Why would the Lakers sign Josh? I thought his performance against them was "irrelevant?"

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've never wanted Crawford here. I don't think he's that good, and combined with his age, he does little-to-nothing for me.

I like Stuckey a lot. He can't shoot, and he may not have a great attitude (neither did Mayo, reportedly), but his overall game is strong.

What about Rudy Fernandez? Word is he wants out of Dallas due their stacked backcourt, and Dallas may move him to a team with cap-space in order to gain another TPE. His 2011-12 salary is only $2.18M.

Marca.com Reports Rudy Fernandez Will Seek A Buyout - Mavs Moneyball

Quote Originally Posted by j0shi
    It seems that the days of Rudy Fernandez in Dallas are counted before they even started. Morning has already broken in Europe and Marca.com reports that after the acquisitions of Vince Carter and Delonte West, the shooting-guard wants out of the crowded wing rotation of the Champions. If he stayed in the NBA speculations hint his preferred destination would be the Timberwolves to pair up with native spanish-speakers Ricky Rubio and Jose Barea. Maybe recent trade rumors also played a role in his decision.

But as we've learned from the Billups case, players don't always get what they want. Even if the Mavericks would be willing to grant his wish, any team with cap space or a TPE that matches his salary could claim him off waivers within the next 48 hours and he might just end up somewhere else with his friendly contract. Rudy and the Mavs reportedly will meet Wednesday in Dallas and will be trying to work out something both sides can live with.

It's always unfair to judge in retrospect, but the decision to acquire Rudy on Draft Day was well challenged back then. Rudy had a subpar season with the Portland Trail Blazers and he had already hinted that he is tempted to return to Spain. Jordan Hamilton also was considered a steal at #26 and as a primarily offensive threat with defensive liabilities he kind of matches Rudys scouting report.

Click through to read the Draft Day reactions.

Hamilton to Dallas. And the rich get richer. Put a mega-talent w/a questionable attitude on a super high character team & watch him blossom. @DraftExpress
    The Dallas Mavericks select Jordan Hamilton at 26. Steal this late. Big time scorer @chadfordinsider
    Maybe Fernandez will find new life in Dallas, but at best he’s an active offensive participant, a three-point threat, and a defensive liability. Couldn’t Hamilton be capable of the same, while giving the Mavs another interesting piece for the future? Dallas is rightfully looking to maximize on their current core, but the drive to acquire veterans has led them to one who holds all of the weaknesses of the prospect they could have had without any of the potential long-term strengths. Rob Mahoney @ TheTwoManGame.com
    Fans surely want to keep track on Hamiltons development in Denver this season if the Mavericks will part ways with Rudy Fernandez.

Last edited by Lance George; 12-13-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are other cheaper options than Crawford. Ranked in order of talent:

Arron Afflalo

Reggie Williams

Marco Belinelli

Willie Green

Othyus Jeffers

Steve Novak

Michael Redd

The Pacers biggest need is a spot shooter off the bench and all of the above mentioned SGs shoot the ball better than Crawford or Mayo and most of them would have no problem coming off the bench or being used in a spot shooter role.

I think Belinelli would be a good fit and he probably wouldn't cost much either.

my question about Afflalo is whether he is really that big of an upgrade from Rush? They both seem to play a similar brand of bball. I would love to give Stuckey a shot - I don't think he would cost that much either?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who are we down to now? Jamal Crawford is obvious. Afflalo WOULD be obvious, but he's a restricted free agent and there's virtually no chance we overpay him to the point that Denver lets him go.

So... what's left behind the curtain? Another trade? Another free agent we're not talking enough about?

Who is left?

Some have brought up Rodney Stuckey. Let's say he'd agree to be a shooting guard (which is what he really is anyway). Can he create his own shot effectively? How much do you think he would cost per year?

Other than Stuckey, who else is still an interesting free agent at SG?

Then on the other hand, what about trades?
    I really wouldnt go after Stuckey, not a fan at all

I say we go with either Crawford or Reggie Williams
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Like who?
    Whomever. That's for TPTB to decide.

For one case, I still like JC because we could still really use a guy who can create his own shot very well. That ability probably trumps the FG% concern in our case, IMO. He's liable to go off on a scoring tear any given night, or get an and-one off of a three point shot. When a guy like that is coming off the bench, you live with the flaws.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

at this point I'm thinking I'd go for Crawford or stick with the current lineup

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

Arron Afflalo

Reggie Williams

Marco Belinelli

Willie Green

Othyus Jeffers

Steve Novak

Michael Redd

The Pacers biggest need is a spot shooter off the bench and all of the above mentioned SGs shoot the ball better than Crawford or Mayo and most of them would have no problem coming off the bench or being used in a spot shooter role.

I think Belinelli would be a good fit and he probably wouldn't cost much either.
    If our biggest need off the bench was a spot shooter (I completely disagree with that), I present to you Brandon Rush.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bellinelli, Redd or Fernandez would be cool with me. Maybe a second for Rudy? Then try to ship Rush for a second.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

I'm not crazy about Crawford.

I'd consider Reggie Williams since he's unrestricted now.

But I'm happy with who we have at shooting guard. George and Hill should be a good combo. And who knows, the new coaching staff could have a positive effect on Rush.

Plus the amnesty option is only good til friday. There may be some surprises popping up. We've yet to have the auction on Richard Jefferson or Baron Davis. Not saying I want those guys but bidding teams could be needing to clear cash. So who knows who might become available.

Mood

I'll be honest I don't recall who Reggie Williams even is. Off to Google I go...

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

Arron Afflalo

Reggie Williams

Marco Belinelli

Willie Green

Othyus Jeffers

Steve Novak

Michael Redd

I'd take a flyer on Reggie Williams. He can fill it up pretty fast, and shouldn't be too expensive. If we don't end up getting Crawford (which I am somewhat against anyways) then I'd just go into the season with what we have and reassess at the trade deadline.

Collison or Hill
    George
    Granger
    West
    Hibbert

Hill or Collison
    Jones/Stephenson
    Jones/George
    Hans
    Pendergraph/Foster.....

Sounds like a pretty good lineup to me

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Plus the amnesty option is only good til friday. There may be some surprises popping up. We've yet to have the auction on Richard Jefferson or Baron Davis. Not saying I want those guys but bidding teams could be needing to clear cash. So who knows who might become available.
    Good points. If Jefferson gets amnestied (has this been added to Webster's yet?), I definitely think the Pacers should put a claim in on him.