Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Lightbulb IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    Pacers: Vogel likes the roster dilemma he faces | The Indianapolis Star

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indiana Pacers coach Frank Vogel wouldn't have it any other way.

    Vogel knows he and his staff will spend time mixing and matching players, seeking the right combination to give the Pacers their best chance of winning.

    Vogel may experience his fair share of headaches along the way, but he said it's worth it because the Pacers are putting together their deepest team in years.

    "It's fun; it is a challenge. The talent level on this team is even better than it was last year. I'm going to have a lot of tough decisions to make, but they're good tough decisions. We've got a lot of good players on this team," Vogel said.

    The depth will improve even more today when power forward David West practices with his new team for the first time.

    West, a former All-Star at New Orleans, agreed to a two-year deal with the Pacers over the weekend.

    "I think it adds tremendous depth for us, especially at the power forward position," small forward Danny Granger said. "He comes from a team that has won over the past four or five years. He knows how to play the game. With our team, we need that because we have so many young pieces."

    Pacers President Larry Bird knew the Pacers were not going to get a true superstar on the free agent market. The best way for the Pacers to succeed is by adding depth so that they can wear their opponent down over the course of a 48-minute game.

    "We're going to be a really good team," point guard Darren Collison said. "I think Larry and (general manager) David (Morway) did a good job bringing the team together, especially off the bench."

    Vogel will be responsible for managing egos because playing time could be reduced for some players.

    George Hill is battling Collison for the starting point guard spot. West and Tyler Hansbrough will compete at power forward. Dahntay Jones and Brandon Rush, if he's still on the roster, will push Paul George for minutes at shooting guard. Lance Stephenson has also been impressive through the first part of training camp.

    "It's always a challenge because everybody wants to play 48 minutes," Vogel said. "My job is to decipher who is earning their roles, who is earning the minutes and communicate clearly to the guys what their roles will be."

    Vogel said Granger and Roy Hibbert will get substantial playing time. It's up in the air after that.

    "We want to have the best players on the court," Vogel said. "Certainly there are certain guys that I know I want to play them a certain amount of minutes. They need to be on the court because they're that good. Then from that standpoint, you figure out who's playing well with whom. Chemistry definitely comes into play."

    Depth will be key because of the condensed 66-game NBA schedule over a four-month span. The Pacers have 17 sets of back-to-back games and they'll likely endure some injuries along the way.

    "I think we're kind of loaded at every position really," Granger said. "I think with the more games per week that we have, we're going to need to go deep on the bench."

    Pacers release Posey


    The Pacers released forward James Posey and his $7.5 million contract under the league's amnesty clause. Under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, teams may release one player on the roster.

    Posey, who was told last week not to report to training camp, will receive his full salary, but that won't count against the Pacers' salary cap.

    Acquired from New Orleans in August 2010, Posey will become a free agent in three days if he goes unclaimed through the waiver process.

    "We want to thank the Pacers for using their amnesty on James so that he could pursue opportunities on other teams," said Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstein.

    Pacers trade update


    Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley told the Memphis Commercial Appeal on Monday that they are not trying to trade guard O.J. Mayo.
    "Right now, we do not have any active effort going to trade O.J. Mayo," Heisley told the newspaper.

    The Pacers recently proposed a sign-and-trade offer that would send Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush to Memphis for Mayo.
    "I'm trying to stay focused and not worry about the business side of the organization," Rush said.

    The Pacers will likely turn their attention back to free agent Jamal Crawford if they can't get Mayo.

  2. #2
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    I just hope we get some sort of defined rotation pretty quick. Last year players were too scared to mess up because of the inconsistent rotations.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    George Hill is battling Collison for the starting point guard spot. West and Tyler Hansbrough will compete at power forward. Dahntay Jones and Brandon Rush, if he's still on the roster, will push Paul George for minutes at shooting guard. Lance Stephenson has also been impressive through the first part of training camp.
    I hope this part is true, I hope they don't take into consideration salaries that much.

  4. #4
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    You don't sign David West to that contract and put up THAT banner if he's not going to start.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,451

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    Just think how much more crazy it'll be if we get Mayo.

    Rush and Jones won't see the light of day.

    Still want Lance to get minutes, as well as for a few minutes a game to see Lance and Mayo (if we get him) in the backcourt together. Wow, that'll be fun to watch.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  7. #6
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,577

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    I want Vogel to figure out how the Frontcourt rotation is going to work with West and Hansbrough.

    I have a feeling that Hansbrough is going to play some backup Center minutes.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  8. #7
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    It'll be interesting to say the least.

    I'm glad to hear that Hill is getting looked at for the starting PG roll. It'll be really intriguing if we get Mayo. In my mind, Hill, Mayo, and Granger are all better players than Collison, and George has considerably more potential. There are often times when, to get our best lineup on the floor, Granger might have to play PF and we might have to go uber-small and push West or Tyler up to C. I'm really hoping that the condensed season combined with the depth of the team leads Vogel to play a 10 man rotation consistently.

    I disagree with Granger, though, that we're loaded at every position. Collison and Price are the only true PG's on the roster, and if we play Price much we'll be doing it at the expense of other, more talented players. Also, Hibbert and Foster are the only C's on the roster. I don't think Foster will play more than 50 games this year, and Hibbert has never shown any aptitude for consistency of performance.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  9. #8
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    We seem to forget that Jeff Pendergraph (whose nickname, I feel, should be Black Dynamite) will also have to receive minutes, alongside Hansbro and West. I'm not sure what is expected of him, but given the chance, I think he'll show how valuable he truly is.

    Besides that, Jones and Rush are on their ways out of Indy, we just have to find the right flight on which to put them. As soon as Crawford makes his decision, we'll be more aware of what's to happen, but even if we do pick him up, we have to clear up the traffic jam at the wing, because Rush and Jones won't be willing to suit up and bench down.

    Any ideas of teams who need wings? Boston, Chicago, NOH, Washington?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  10. #9
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We seem to forget that Jeff Pendergraph (whose nickname, I feel, should be Black Dynamite) will also have to receive minutes, alongside Hansbro and West. I'm not sure what is expected of him, but given the chance, I think he'll show how valuable he truly is.
    Pendergraph will probably be in a suit, more often than not.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: IndyStar: Vogel Likes the Roster Dilemma He Faces

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pendergraph will probably be in a suit, more often than not.
    If the season started right now, the only minutes I could see Pendergraph getting are the backup C minutes when Foster's back is acting up.

    If there are situations where a healthy West and Hansbrough are sitting on the bench while Pendergraph is playing, then something is wrong.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

Similar Threads

  1. Area 55 season thread for 2010-11
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1386
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 02:53 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
  4. It?s Jurassic Park with a New Guide!
    By RoboHicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 02:19 PM
  5. What would you do to fix the roster? (IndyStar)
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •