Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Bird Or Pritchard Making Stuff Happen?

Default Is It Bird Or Pritchard Making Stuff Happen?

Right now everybody is talking like Bird is negotiating the deals but isn't this Pritchard's dept. and what he was brought in for. Is it Pritch doing the deals and then getting Bird's approval? Are they negotiating together? I'm confused

Sports Logo

Default Re: Is It Bird Or Pritchard Making Stuff Happen?

Who cares as long as they're good

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who cares as long as they're good
    Agree with this.

I think its Pritchard though. He's a very savvy GM was only a matter of time before he put his stamp on us.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good God, Larry can't win for losing.

Who will be the first to claim Pritchard climbed into his Tardis and was responsible for the George Hill trade as well?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

What if it's Brooke Olzendam?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Not Bird. Never Bird. Unless it sucked.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Why does no one ever give David Moreway any credit? The man only orchestrated the largest trade exemption in league history (at the time) yet everybody assumes he's a boob.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Not Bird. Never Bird. Unless it sucked.
    or unless it involved Luke Jackson, Peja, Dirk, some big euro stiff, Kirk Heinrich etc.

Green

Sittin on top of the world!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Pretty sure it's Bird. Bird's hallmark is extreme patience, no matter how antsy the fans get.

Though I'm sure Pritchard has input too.

I thought KP's problem is that he can be kind of a jerk to other GM's? I would give the credit to Bird but what do I know.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Why does no one ever give David Moreway any credit? The man only orchestrated the largest trade exemption in league history (at the time) yet everybody assumes he's a boob.
    Hey, I like boobs.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I really think we just finally have a FO where everyone has strengths that complement each others' weaknesses.

My only beef with Morway remains his ability to interact with internal personnel, but that has nothing to do with giving credit where it is due for trade activity.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I very much appreciate Morway, if their duties are split like I've always thought. Bird says who/what he wants, Morway making all the numbers work. Make a really nice duo.

Banned

It has to be Bird, Pritchard is known for making multiple pieces trades and things like that.

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

What deal was that? Not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to learn something today.
    Last edited by glazedham42; 12-12-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I very much appreciate Morway, if their duties are split like I've always thought. Bird says who/what he wants, Morway making all the numbers work. Make a really nice duo.
    Larry Birds Kato?

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    What deal was that? Not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to learn something today.
    JO I believe.

Wow that is extremely unfair to Larry Bird and David Morway (who people constantly seem to forget about).

I had my reservations about Bird and Morway, too, and my faith in them hit rock-bottom when they weren't able to file in the Memphis-trade in time.

But even though I questioned them quite a lot, they made me eat my words more than once.

I supported to tank the remainder of the horrible 09/10 season after being out of the playoff running. I wanted to increase our chance to get John Wall. Bird made it clear they will try to win every single game regardless and that losing on purpose wouldn't fit the culture they tried to build (the same relentless culture they showed in the 1st round series versus the Bulls). So we ended up with a late lottery pick and people didn't expect us to get anything better than a role player (best case). Instead, Bird took a flyer on a 19y old skinny guard from California (doesn't that sound familiar?) and right now our hopes of becoming a contender live and die with this kid (Paul George obviously).

I was furious that we didn't turn McRoberts into OJ Mayo (not because I don't like McRoberts, but because I thought -and still think- that we lack a SG who can create his own shot). I didn't care much about the 1st round pick either since I expected the Pacers to make the playoffs and didn't see much potential in this year's meager draft. Also, McRoberts helped us to make the playoffs and give the Bulls a tough time. Instead we kept our 1st round pick and turned it into local kid George Hill who happened to be the favorite player of Greg Popovich, arguably the best coach in the game right now. As it turns out, we are about to revive the McRoberts-Mayo trade but instead of giving up a pick we might do it straight up. Even better. Plus we don't have McRoberts under contract, so we basically turn nothing into OJ mayo.

Now people started to get impatient after TWO days of free agency gone by without the Pacers having made a splash. People started to make fun of Bird that Pendergraph would be the only guy he could lure to an up-and-coming team like the Pacers. Some even pushed him to overpay for Nene. And yes, admittedly, I also began to feel impatient. Bird proved me wrong again. He was not only able to get David West, who I consider a really good fit for reasons widely discussed (taking pressure off of Granger, let teams pay for double teams on Hibbert, able to make FG, good locker-room guy, veteran presence, and so on). No, he was also able to get him to sign for just two years which pretty much eliminates any risk his health may cause since he will become a valuable trading chip if he doesn't pan out. By the way, he beat the Boston Celtics to it who were very keen on West, too, and even offered him a longer contract.

So, I have high hopes in Bird. While Pritchard might be savvy, Bird is patient, unswerving. On top, he has a clear plan that he displayed some three years ago. He stuck to it no matter what. I value that.
    Last edited by pathil275; 12-12-2011 at 04:56 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pathil275 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

If I had to bet, I'd bet it is a team effort of the 3 Amigo's!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Why can't it be all three.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    Peja sign and trade. We used it to sign Al Harrington.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Did Pritchard have anything to do with Murphy for Collison? Did he have anything to do with the George Hill trade? Did he have anything to do with the Mayo deal that fell apart at last year's deadline (of which this new deal is nearly identical)

Was Pritchard part of the group that flew out to see Nene? Then why should we believe he had anything to do with signing West?

After all the **** Bird has caught over the years, trying to give Pritchard the credit for recent moves is total BS. Give the man his due.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I imagine it's Bird. He's always indicated that this would be the summer where we'd finally make a splash. That's not to say Morway and to a lesser extent Pritchard haven't played a role.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Did Pritchard have anything to do with Murphy for Collison? Did he have anything to do with the George Hill trade? Did he have anything to do with the Mayo deal that fell apart at last year's deadline (of which this new deal is nearly identical)

Was Pritchard part of the group that flew out to see Nene? Then why should we believe he had anything to do with signing West?

After all the **** Bird has caught over the years, trying to give Pritchard the credit for recent moves is total BS. Give the man his due.
    Unless you work in the Pacers FO you don't know anything for sure. It's possible that Pritch is doing most of the phone negotiating and making the suggestions for trade scenarios. Personally I think it's probably all three bouncing ideas off each other.

Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    Wow that is extremely unfair to Larry Bird and David Morway (who people constantly seem to forget about).

I had my reservations about Bird and Morway, too, and my faith in them hit rock-bottom when they weren't able to file in the Memphis-trade in time.

But even though I questioned them quite a lot, they made me eat my words more than once.

I supported to tank the remainder of the horrible 09/10 season after being out of the playoff running. I wanted to increase our chance to get John Wall. Bird made it clear they will try to win every single game regardless and that losing on purpose wouldn't fit the culture they tried to build (the same relentless culture they showed in the 1st round series versus the Bulls). So we ended up with a late lottery pick and people didn't expect us to get anything better than a role player (best case). Instead, Bird took a flyer on a 19y old skinny guard from California (doesn't that sound familiar?) and right now our hopes of becoming a contender live and die with this kid (Paul George obviously).

I was furious that we didn't turn McRoberts into OJ Mayo (not because I don't like McRoberts, but because I thought -and still think- that we lack a SG who can create his own shot). I didn't care much about the 1st round pick either since I expected the Pacers to make the playoffs and didn't see much potential in this year's meager draft. Also, McRoberts helped us to make the playoffs and give the Bulls a tough time. Instead we kept our 1st round pick and turned it into local kid George Hill who happened to be the favorite player of Greg Popovich, arguably the best coach in the game right now. As it turns out, we are about to revive the McRoberts-Mayo trade but instead of giving up a pick we might do it straight up. Even better. Plus we don't have McRoberts under contract, so we basically turn nothing into OJ mayo.

Now people started to get impatient after TWO days of free agency gone by without the Pacers having made a splash. People started to make fun of Bird that Pendergraph would be the only guy he could lure to an up-and-coming team like the Pacers. Some even pushed him to overpay for Nene. And yes, admittedly, I also began to feel impatient. Bird proved me wrong again. He was not only able to get David West, who I consider a really good fit for reasons widely discussed (taking pressure off of Granger, let teams pay for double teams on Hibbert, able to make FG, good locker-room guy, veteran presence, and so on). No, he was also able to get him to sign for just two years which pretty much eliminates any risk his health may cause since he will become a valuable trading chip if he doesn't pan out. By the way, he beat the Boston Celtics to it who were very keen on West, too, and even offered him a longer contract.

So, I have high hopes in Bird. While Pritchard might be savvy, Bird is patient, unswerving. On top, he has a clear plan that he displayed some three years ago. He stuck to it no matter what. I value that.
    I just want to say that you and pacergod2 make me want to set my avatar with a very hot Pacer cheerleader.

Also, I agree with what you wrote. And yes, I did read it!
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 12-12-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post: