Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shade's Power Rankings (11-1-04)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Shade's Power Rankings (11-1-04)

It's finally here! The NBA season starts tomorrow, so it's time for the first power rankings of the 2004-05 season! Like always, feel free to post comments or your own power rankings if you wish. I'll update every Monday.

Let's get it started!

1) istons: - As the world champions, Detroit gets this spot by default to start the season. Will they be able to repeat with a completely revamped bench?

2) - The addition of Barry and the dismantling of the Lakers should be enough to push SA back to the NBA Finals. But they'll have to battle their likely WCF opponent first in...

3) - Minnesota played the Lakers tougher than any other Western Conference team last season, so now they should only have to get past the Spurs to make their first NBA Finals ever. Chemistry could be an issue, though, with Sprewell wanting out and the aging Cassell a concern.

4) - Shaq is baq in blaq...ahem...excuse me. Anyway, Shaq's move to Miami makes the East's top 3 legitimate title contenders this season. However, Miami will have to shore up some of the holes in their bench and hope for a lack of injuries to overlook their lack of depth. A loss of either Shaq or Wade would be devastating for this team.

5) acers: - I was poised to rank them #2, but the abundant rush of preseason injuries means Indy will likely take some lumps over the first couple of months, but still be back in plenty of time for the playoffs.

6) - Phoenix is poised to finally start living up to it's potential. This could be a darkhorse Finals candidate right here.

7) - Why wouldn't Memphis be any better this year? Everyone important is back, and a couple nice FA pickups should make the Grizz even stronger.

8) - Like Minnesota, this team's success will depend largely on it's chemistry. Denver will need Carmello to get his head on straight and keep it there if this team is going to make any noise this season.

9) - What's this? A fourth East team in the top 10? That's right. Despite the loss of Boozer, Cleveland's crew could make a push at both Detroit and Indiana in the Central if they can stay healthy.

10) - Despite some obvious deficiencies at the C and PG positions, the Kobe-Odom combo should be enough to tally 50 wins for the newly revamped Lakers this year.

11)
    12)
    13) :sixers:
    14)
    15)
    16)
    17)
    18)
    19) :blazers:
    20)
    21)
    22)
    23)
    24)
    25) :sonics:
    26)
    27)
    28)
    29)
    30)
    [edit=15=1099334078][/edit]

Default Re: Shade's Power Rankings (11-1-04)

Uh, you're missing somebody.

[edit] Looks like .
    ---
    Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

[edit=67=1099324806][/edit]
    [edit=67=1099325051][/edit]
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

[edit] Looks like .
    ---
    Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

Maybe he's trying to say something...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

The 76ers, Bucks, Blazers, Knicks all infront of the Kings????

oh my
    AKA Sactolover05

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'd swap Houston and Phoenix, if it were me...

Otherwise, looks okay.

It will be interesting to see what the so-called national experts do with the Pacers if our B-team starts off slow. We really shouldn't fall out of the top-six, even if our B-team starts 5-9, unless one of those injures takes longer to heal.
    [edit=72=1099333887][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

[edit] Looks like .
    ---

Yeah, tell me I'm the first person to make THAT mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sactolover05

oh my
    I kind of expect the to implode this year. Chemistry problems and the loss of Divac spell big trouble to me. We'll see.

wow, i don't know about the King's placement... other than that I think I can get behind most of your bold placements.
    Here, everyone have a : on me

My prediction:

, , and will all win division titles this year.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Wow I was almost scared to look at this thread , I would say you did a good job Shade , I know how you like to panic sometimes

1- istons: improved bench, more cohesive starting 5, and oh yeah, they're the defending champs.

2- Speaking of improved, good luck doubling Duncan now, with Brent Barry out on the perimeter. If the Pistons don't win it all, I think the Spurs will.

3- acers: When healthy, this is probably the best offensive team in the East, after Milwaukee. However, I wonder how they'll compete up front, with only one legit NBA big man.

4- Surprised? You shouldn't be. This team has the defense to stop people, and all the offense you could want. Easily the most balanced team in the west.

5- This team will average 110ppg. They are that explosive. Best offensive team in the NBA, bar none. If they had any semblence of a center, they would be able to compete with San Antonio. They're just as explosive as the old Mavs, and they can rebound and defend.

6- Why did I drop them to 6th? Two words: Latrell Sprewell. He's going to play half-assed until he gets a new deal, and Minnesota isnt that dumb. Also, no team is going to win a title with a backcourt a combined 70 years old......they wont last a whole season.

7- This team had a VERY good season last year, and they'll only get better with time. This team is just unfortunate to be stuck in SA's division, since I think they could win the other 2 out west.

8:- I think they're the most underrated team in the NBA. They have MORE talent than they did last year, and its more evenly spread out. If Nelson gets them to gel, the Mavs have the talent to go as far as the conference finals. Dampier gives them a better center than %80 of the NBA.

9:- The SECOND-most underrated team in the NBA, in my opinion. People seem to miss the fact this team is HEALTHY for the first time in four years. They lost a lot of bench strength, but that starting 5 is still NAILS: Bibby, Christie, Peja, CWebb and Miller. Give them time to gel, they'll make another charge for the title.

10- People seem to be missing the fact that this team has Grant Hill and Steve Francis, and the #1 pick in the draft, along with a nice supporting cast. They should be eons better than last season, and I expect them to upsend Miami's 2-man show, and take the southeast division.

11- Yeah, Shaq remains the most dominant force, blah blah blah, but last time I checked, Christian Lattener and Eddie Jones weren't bonafide NBA stars. Teams will zone the crap out of miami, and I dont think they have the defense, rebounding, or the shooting to dominate even the eastern conference. A 45-win team, at best.

12- Are they a better all-around team than the Sixers? Probably not, but they have a better 1-2 combo in Marbury and Crawford, and I just cant pick any team with Iverson at PG and Glenn Robinson on the team PERIOD to go anywhere. I'm sorry, DD.

13- This team may actually wina couple playoff rounds, but, like Miami, they just aren't a legit threat, outside of two guys. When they get some help next season, they'll be a real title contender, because TMac and Yao are the BEST 1-2 combo in the NBA.

14- Lebron will get MVP consideration this year. His new team is taylor-made to get out and run with him, and I think he'll make the biggest push since the "Big O" to average a triple-double for a season. Too bad his team isnt much on the boards or defense, cause they're complete offensively.

15- I'm not super-convinced as everyone else that Utah is a great team. Why? This team, outside of AK47, may be the WORST collection of lazy defenders I've ever seen in my life. Arroyo? Giricek? Boozer? OKUR? All fine offensive players, no defense whatsoever. They'll come close, but they're not a playoff team out west.

16- Kobe will put up MVP stats, but he won't win it. I think he'll top Jordan's career-best 37ppg average, but nobody will care, because he'll lose almost half his games. Maybe this will convince Kobe to find some help in the post next year......

17- :sixers: The dark horse to win the east, if they ever get rid of their malcontents. Also, Allen Iverson can't play PG. Thats also an experiment destined to go wrong. However, they have a LOT more talent than previous years. Biran Skinner was the most underrated signing this offseason.

18- Your 8th seed in the east. The sad thing is, they could be a LOT higher if they had TJ Ford. Still a lot of great athletes and gunners, but no floor leader, and even LESS inside presense than last season. A clear step back for a team that was primed to move up.

19- :blazers: They actually DO have a lot of talent, but as usual, iits either A- all at one position, or B- all stuck in one jail cell. Zach Randolph is one of the NBA's premier post players, and Ratliff remains the best shotblocker out west, but they have way to little around them. Rahim is simply not suited for that club.

20- :sonics: They go here only because every team after them is pathetic. Ray Allen is a premier player, but the Sonics make the Kings look like the Pistons. They're a poor-man's version of today's Lakers.

21- so many people have lost faith in Eddy Curry. I still think he's going to become an all-star this year. The Bulls will finally make that big step that everyone had them making LAST year. Hinrich, Gordon and Curry are going to be a monster trio soon.

22- You replaced a legit NBA center with Adonal Foyle, and you wonder why nobody takes you seriously? 22 is actually GENEROUS, but I think Michael Pietrus is going to really be a player.

23- How does a team with all-stars at both PG AND center land this low? Well, they have NOTHING around them except fossils. That, and the west will have them for lunch.

24- Vinsanity will actually GO insane if he has to carry around this bunch of castoffs....Chris Bosh is a very nice piece, but there aren't enough of them. And SAM MITCHELL? Please.

25- I only place this group THIS high, because I respect Doc Rivers as a coach. Their best players outside of Pierce are all ROOKIES. Boston has a nice young core, but half of them should be in college right now. Give them 2 more years.

26- So let me get this straight: you dont sign Kobe, and then you dont keep Richardson, and you trade a young player for Kerry Kittles? Their committment to losing is amazing. Cory Magette and Elton Brand are stuck in NBA purgatory.

27- Antawn Jamison was a BIG improvement over Stackhouse, and I think this is finally Kwame Brown's year to bust out. Gilbert Arenas just needs to take Billup's cue and learn to get people involved. The Wizards aren't a really bad team.

28- Dear Nets, I've missed you so much over the last 3 years, and I'm glad things are back to the way they were, and it looks like we'll be seeing a lot of each other in the future.

sincerely, last place

29- Jon Barry and Kenny Anderson used to be an all-star backcourt, you know. But that was back in 1991. And that was on the Georgia Tech Yellowjackets.

30- Welcome to the NBA, Emeka Okafor. Perhaps your new mentor Primoz Breszic can teach you how to shoot in the post. The scary thing is, you're only a year away from moving 8-10 spots up this list.

[edit=64=1099356705][/edit]
    [edit=64=1099357653][/edit]
    [edit=64=1099357838][/edit]
    [edit=64=1099358129][/edit]

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with some of what Kstat said, except Denver won't win the division no matter how contractually challenged the Wolves are.

I just don't like their collection of talent right now, as they have no real shooters outside of Lenard, and Rodney White off the bench, and maybe Melo on a good night. I think at some point the Nugs are going to have to trade Nene for a guard player; someone like Kidd would be perfect.

Also I think the Wizards are going to fall anywhere from 8th-10th in the east by the end of the year.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    28- Dear Nets, I've missed you so much over the last 3 years, and I'm glad things are back to the way they were, and it looks like we'll be seeing a lot of each other in the future.

sincerely, last place

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sactolover05

oh my
    Yea I was surprised by that.I think the Kings will do fine.I do think they will miss Vlade a lot though.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

King Mob

I think Shade and KStat are overrating Denver's D and underrating Houston's. Denver used to be a great defensive team, back in the 02-03 season. But last year they slipped to 19th in the league in points against.

My sleeper pick is Houston. A Van Gundy coached team will always be sound defensively, and Houston was 5 in the league in points against last year. TMac and Yao are arguable the best 1-2 punch in the game, and Juwan Howard will be solid next to Yao. I was hoping they'd sign Derek Fisher in the offseason to man the point. But Sura should be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by King
    I think Shade and KStat are overrating Denver's D and underrating Houston's. Denver used to be a great defensive team, back in the 02-03 season. But last year they slipped to 19th in the league in points against.

My sleeper pick is Houston. A Van Gundy coached team will always be sound defensively, and Houston was 5 in the league in points against last year. TMac and Yao are arguable the best 1-2 punch in the game, and Juwan Howard will be solid next to Yao. I was hoping they'd sign Derek Fisher in the offseason to man the point. But Sura should be adequate.
    Houston is similar to Miami, though -- they don't have much beyond Yao/TMac. And for my money, Kobe/Odom is currently a better one-two punch. Though I think that'll change in the not-too-distant future.

As for Denver, they just have a lot of depth in the frontcourt, and major scoring in the backcourt to compliment it. If K-Mart and Nene can keep from killing each other, and Carmelo doesn't get selfish and lose it, the Nuggets are going to be good. Really good. I wouldn't be too surprised to see them take the division from Minnesota, actually.

King Mob

Actually, I'd forgotten about K-Mart when I said their defense was overrated. As much as I hate the guy, I have to admit K-Mart is one of the best defenders in the L. I've seen the Nets put him on 2 guards with success.

JJ, Juwan and Mo are solid role-players, their real hole is at PG. Lue is not going to get the job done.

See Hicks, I didnt look up YOURS.......

I was VERY hit and miss on mine....

I'll take my medicine on Miami, Denver, and Seattle, but not Minnesota, simply because I didnt see anyone rank them LOWER than that.

My best pick: Phoenix.

My worst: Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    6) - Phoenix is poised to finally start living up to it's potential. This could be a darkhorse Finals candidate right here.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

"20) "

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

hmmm

Oh yes what might have been last year.. Parish the thought.....

Why Not Us ?

Heh. I've been itching to do a new one of these, but have been waiting for all the FA signings to become official.

Damn postponement.

Btw, I owned all 'ya suckers with the Suns pick.

Btw, Kstat, Wolves at #6? But, I thought they sucked...

As I pointed out, their chemistry sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    As I pointed out, their chemistry sucked.
    Perhaps, but that same chemistry led them to the WCF the year before, and put them at #6 in your Power Rankings last year.