Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 190

Thread: Chris Paul to Clippers

  1. #51
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,165

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Tough call for the Clips. On the surface, keeping EJ and sending the #1 seems like a no-brainer...until you factor in having to afford Paul, Gordon, AND Griffin in a couple years.

    Personally, I hope they ship out EJ so we can try to swipe him away next season.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,656

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That makes sense.

    I don't see how you could possibly take the pick over the best young SG in the league.
    Agreed, even though the pick is very valuable, the list of players I like in the NBA over Eric Gordon is very small.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. #53
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Any way to move the Lakers/Paul argument back into the thread it belongs in? As for this trade, I'm not sure why the league is reaching for so much here. They really should be happy with the pick or Gordan and move on, mission accomplished.

  5. #54
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,286

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how you could possibly take the pick over the best young SG in the league.
    I can. If NO doesn't get Gordon back, they will likely be terrible next year, making their own pick that much better. They could have two picks in the top 5 or top 10 if they also had Minny's pick. They could get two potentially elite players on rookie contracts for 4 years.

    Gordon, on the other hand, has to be maxed out soon and might not even want to return to New Orleans.

    The team would also be easier to sell with the rookies, compared to a max contract on board.

  6. #55
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,445

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except for the small fact that the other team's owner didn't want to make the trade.

    But the league had given Demps the power to make trades without interference. Hence why the rest of the league was submitting trades to Demps and not David Stern.

    Had any other team traded the equivalent of Gasol and Odom (a TON) for CP3, no one would have whined. No one. This was nixed purely because of jealousy toward the Lakers. That is the only reason, and it's not a rational one.

    This isn't comparable to say Herb Simon telling Bird he can't do x trade. We're talking about a team owned by the NBA here. We're talking about the commissioner of the NBA abusing his power and screwing over the Lakers because jealous owners had a fit. It's not as simple as saying "well, Stern owns the team so he can do whatever he wants." While that's technically true, it's a horrible policy and precedent to set. Other owners interfering with trades because of spite is OK? How?

    And like Stern knew that the Hornets were going to get a sweet officer from the Clippers a weak later? For all he knew, CP3 could have walked this year and left the team nothing.

    Let's just all admit that the only reason this was nixed is because of jealousy toward the Lakers. People might not like the Lakers, but that doesn't make such a blatant abuse of power condonable.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-12-2011 at 11:45 AM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  8. #56
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,656

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    I'm guessing the reason the pick might be more valuable is that it's pretty hard to see Gordon re-signing in New Orleans.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #57
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    I think they might understand the real trouble in resigning 3 close to max deals, and see the pick as a chance to grab a Harrison Barnes type player for cheap instead. Tough call, but I hope they ship out EJ.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  10. #58
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,741

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    David Aldridge on NBA TV is saying that Hornets should take the Minny pick instead of EJ becuase the draft pick could be a top ten pick, yet he says if Clippers can keep EJ somehow it would be a game changer. hmmm
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  11. #59
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the league had given Demps the power to make trades without interference. Hence why the rest of the league was submitting trades to Demps and not David Stern.

    Had any other team traded the equivalent of Gasol and Odom (a TON) for CP3, no one would have whined. No one. This was nixed purely because of jealousy toward the Lakers. That is the only reason, and it's not a rational one.

    This isn't comparable to say Herb Simon telling Bird he can't do x trade. We're talking about a team owned by the NBA here. We're talking about the commissioner of the NBA abusing his power and screwing over the Lakers because jealous owners had a fit. It's not as simple as saying "well, Stern owns the team so he can do whatever he wants." While that's technically true, it's a horrible policy and precedent to set. Other owners interfering with trades because of spite is OK? How?

    And like Stern knew that the Hornets were going to get a sweet officer from the Clippers a weak later? For all he knew, CP3 could have walked this year and left the team nothing.

    Let's just all admit that the only reason this was nixed is because of jealousy toward the Lakers. People might not like the Lakers, but that doesn't make such a blatant abuse of power condonable.
    They don't sign away that power when the told Demps he had free reign. They still hold the veto power, regardless of what they told him.

    People change their minds all the time. This isn't any different.

    And it's not "other owners" interferring, because they aren't "other owners." They are THE owners. A big, big, big, BIG difference.

    We can agree that it was handled poorly, but that doesn't mean they handled it in away that's against the rules, or even setting a new trend.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  13. #60
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,666

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    the minnesota pick is best for both teams.

    A potential buyer might not have as good a star player with that pick, but he also won't have to pay him 10+ million a year to start.

  14. #61
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,343

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it is also a big question as to what EJ does.
    Have not heard NO requiring EJ to sign an extention, & if I'm him & I look @ NO's roster & IN's roster & I know IN will offer me the max... Now had EJ NOT been in this deal, & was in LA w/ CP3 & Griffen, then he is never a Pacer, but NOW?.....
    I don't see why he wouldn't sign an extension with the Hornets. For one, don't assume that the Hornets Ownership situation won't change over the next season.

    I don't see why the Hornets won't keep him for the long-term by matching any MAX contract. Given this whole debacle with CP3 and the concern about how trades are handled with an NBA-Owned Team, I don't see how the NBA won't do their best to find an Owner before the end of the season.

    If a new Owner is in place, we have no clue if they are going to match any MAX contract offer that the Pacers ( much less any Team ) throws at EJ.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  15. #62
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,081

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't sign away that power when the told Demps he had free reign. They still hold the veto power, regardless of what they told him.

    People change their minds all the time. This isn't any different.

    And it's not "other owners" interferring, because they aren't "other owners." They are THE owners. A big, big, big, BIG difference.

    We can agree that it was handled poorly, but that doesn't mean they handled it in away that's against the rules, or even setting a new trend.
    Why is that virtually every neutral NBA analyst disagrees with you?

    Because you're also jealous of the Lakers.

  16. #63
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    per twitter: David Aldridge
    Hornets now insisting that they get Eli Manning and Jason Pierre-Paul in addition to Eric Gordon & Timberwolves' unprocteted first for CP3.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  17. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,122

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can. If NO doesn't get Gordon back, they will likely be terrible next year, making their own pick that much better. They could have two picks in the top 5 or top 10 if they also had Minny's pick. They could get two potentially elite players on rookie contracts for 4 years.

    Gordon, on the other hand, has to be maxed out soon and might not even want to return to New Orleans.

    The team would also be easier to sell with the rookies, compared to a max contract on board.
    That's why I'd choose the pick too. With the way the rules are in the NBA, if you hit on a first round draft pick, you basically are guaranteed to have them for 7 to 8 years. Look at the Pacers with Hibbert, Hansbrough, and George.

    In fact, if I'm the Hornets, I'd try to get another first rounder out of the Clippers as well.

  18. #65
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,445

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't sign away that power when the told Demps he had free reign. They still hold the veto power, regardless of what they told him.

    People change their minds all the time. This isn't any different.

    And it's not "other owners" interferring, because they aren't "other owners." They are THE owners. A big, big, big, BIG difference.

    We can agree that it was handled poorly, but that doesn't mean they handled it in away that's against the rules, or even setting a new trend.


    They are "THE owners" in a technical sense, but practically speaking they are "the other owners."

    Saying they are "THE owners" implies that they actually legitimately care about the New Orleans Hornets basketball club, and that's not true. None of the other 29 owners give a damn about the Hornets or who is on their roster. I don't think Mickey Arison, James Dolan, Herb Simon, or Mark Cuban sit in bed at night fretting about how good the Hornets will be this season. Whether they are 50-32 or 32-50, it makes no difference to them. They care about their own team individually and the Hornets are just a team that they all were forced to own collectively and something they could care less about. Because of that, they are "the other owners".

    Read Gilberts letter again. He doesn't give a rats*** about the freaking Hornets. His letter is 100% driven by spite against the marquee franchise in the league getting a new toy. That's not right. Sure they had the power and right to do it, but it was still a horrible move and dangerous precedent. A fair trade was cancelled for no other reason besides jealousy. Such an embarrassment for the league.

    A nutty owner like Gilbert going off his rocker is one thing. But the commissioner of the league going along with it is quite another.

    In fact, isn't it against the owners' interest if the Hornets field a great team? If you're the owner of a Western Conference team fighting for a playoff spot, do you want the Hornets to be good? Not really. You'd just assume they get out of the way so the team you own and actually care about has a better shot of getting in. That is a massive conflict of interest right there and that alone is why no owner should have any input as to what the Hornets do from a basketball standpoint.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  20. #66

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This whole situation has been so maliciously mismanaged from the beginning that I don't know what to think.

    Surely, the Clippers wouldn't give up Eric Gordon, the unprotected top of the lottery pick from Minnesota, Eric Bledsoe, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Chris Kaman right? Obviously, they didn't offer anything close to that originally when the head of the Hornets basketball decisions chose to send him to the other team in LA.

    I guess the silver lining in this whole thing is that the best point guard in a generation is going to be working for a likeable owner.

    Can even the most adamant Lakers hater not think that they (along with the Rockets) have been royally screwed? I'm sure Jerry Buss is thrilled that the player he offered his second and third best players for (who also happen to be a top 5 big man and the reigning 6th man of the year, who in turn became so disgruntled he had to trade him for absolutely nothing) will be playing in the building he built for another team.
    I've heard that the reason the Paul trade was rejected by the other owners was because Dwight to LA was coming next.

  21. #67
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    I guess from a sale of franchise stand point it makes sense to take the pick over EJ.

    From a basketball stand point, it makes no sense. EJ would be the top pick in this draft.

    But I guess there's no precedent for the NBA owned Hornets making decisions for "basketball reasons".
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  22. #68
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard that the reason the Paul trade was rejected by the other owners was because Dwight to LA was coming next.
    That may be true. Hell, it probalby is true. If I'm the Lakers, I want Dwight. If I'm the Magic, I can't see a better deal than getting back Bynum.

    The fact that the Lakers had the assets to get back two players of Paul and Howard's caliber should not be reason to say they can't have them.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  24. #69
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,512

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is that virtually every neutral NBA analyst disagrees with you?
    Because you're also jealous of the Lakers.
    I dispute the neutrality of several of these analyst. Many of them were pro player during the lockout and this is just an extension of that. Let's be honest here, most of them get a LOT of their information that they put out on twitter and online from player agents or representatives of player agents so there is the idea that you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

    So while certainly not all of them are biased I would dispute that several of them are not.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  26. #70
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is that virtually every neutral NBA analyst disagrees with you?

    Because you're also jealous of the Lakers.
    You totally tripped on your point when you included the word "neutral."

  27. #71
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are "THE owners" in a technical sense, but practically speaking they are "the other owners."

    Saying they are "THE owners" implies that they actually legitimately care about the New Orleans Hornets basketball club, and that's not true. None of the other 29 owners give a damn about the Hornets or who is on their roster. I don't think Mickey Arison, James Dolan, Herb Simon, or Mark Cuban sit in bed at night fretting about how good the Hornets will be this season. Whether they are 50-32 or 32-50, it makes no difference to them. They care about their own team individually and the Hornets are just a team that they all were forced to own collectively and something they could care less about. Because of that, they are "the other owners".

    Read Gilberts letter again. He doesn't give a rats*** about the freaking Hornets. His letter is 100% driven by spite against the marquee franchise in the league getting a new toy. That's not right. Sure they had the power and right to do it, but it was still a horrible move and dangerous precedent. A fair trade was cancelled for no other reason besides jealousy. Such an embarrassment for the league.

    A nutty owner like Gilbert going off his rocker is one thing. But the commissioner of the league going along with it is quite another.

    In fact, isn't it against the owners' interest if the Hornets field a great team? If you're the owner of a Western Conference team fighting for a playoff spot, do you want the Hornets to be good? Not really. You'd just assume they get out of the way so the team you own and actually care about has a better shot of getting in. That is a massive conflict of interest right there and that alone is why no owner should have any input as to what the Hornets do from a basketball standpoint.
    The Hornets took on an additional 19M dollars in contracts. Who do you think pays the Hornets salaries? The other NBA owners.

    When they're on the hook for money owed to Hornets players, until a new owner buys them out, any deal that makes the Hornets less attractive to a new owner is going to be vetoed.

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  29. #72
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,666

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Yeah. The last trade wasn't vetoed because it was the Lakers, it was vetoed because it made the team HARDER TO SELL.

    No star+higher payroll+lower draft pick next summer=HARDER TO SELL

    How are people not seeing this?

  30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  31. #73

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be true. Hell, it probalby is true. If I'm the Lakers, I want Dwight. If I'm the Magic, I can't see a better deal than getting back Bynum.

    The fact that the Lakers had the assets to get back two players of Paul and Howard's caliber should not be reason to say they can't have them.
    Agreed. But that was only possible with the Hornets' care-taking GM agreeing to a completely disastrous deal for the future of his franchise.

    You can call Odom 3rd best player, but in the end, he was worth a late first round pick. And Gasol was worth Martin (whose last trade value was Carl Landry), Scola and Dragic.

    The idea of taking in $50 millions in salaries to get a bunch of role-players is bad enough. Dumping a top-10 player to achieve that is flat out insane.

    There was nothing deal about that offer for New Orleans. Nothing. That wasn't a good enough reason for Stern to veto the deal, but let's not pretend the offer was anything more than ruinous for the Hornets. What Stern should be doing is investigating what led Demps to accept that offer when he could have got offers like the Clippers one.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:


  33. #74
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,165

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Has any player been rumored in more trades in such a short time span as Chris Paul?

    Chris Paul is now a Knick...er, a Celtic...no, no, wait, he's a Laker...um...a Clipper?

  34. #75

    Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be true. Hell, it probalby is true. If I'm the Lakers, I want Dwight. If I'm the Magic, I can't see a better deal than getting back Bynum.

    The fact that the Lakers had the assets to get back two players of Paul and Howard's caliber should not be reason to say they can't have them.
    Oh I agree, it was pathetic. But, it doesn't seem as bad if the reason that the owners got so hostile and rejected the Paul trade was because they didn't want the Lakers to have Dwight, Paul and Kobe. (And I think the Lakers still get Dwight.)

Similar Threads

  1. Hornets may deal Chris Paul
    By Really? in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM
  2. Chris Paul on Family Feud
    By Lance George in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 01:18 AM
  3. Paul Kuharsky criticizes the Polians
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 08:12 PM
  4. A Chris Paul story from high school ....
    By xBulletproof in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM
  5. Chris Paul and Bobcat rumors have merit IMO
    By NappyRootz in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •