Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chris Paul to Clippers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chris Paul to Clippers

If your Stern, and you're trying to prove to the players that you "won" the lockout, what better way than shipping Paul to a small market team like us? Stern honestly doesn't give a **** anymore what anyone thinks.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Until the NBA sells the Hornets, they can have whatever excuse they want to veto the trade. I seriously doubt they were mad at the simple fact that the Lakers were getting him, or they wouldn't have spent even more time trying to make a better deal.

At the end of the day, the Lakers offer wasn't good enough for Stern, and he was willing to trade him to the Lakers.

Just because it's Gilbert's reasoning, doesn't mean it was Stern's.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until the NBA sells the Hornets, they can have whatever excuse they want to veto the trade. I seriously doubt they were mad at the simple fact that the Lakers were getting him, or they wouldn't have spent even more time trying to make a better deal.

At the end of the day, the Lakers offer wasn't good enough for Stern, and he was willing to trade him to the Lakers.

Just because it's Gilbert's reasoning, doesn't mean it was Stern's.

It wasn't until Thursday that a team knew an offer had to be good enough for Stern, hence why they were dealing with the GM of the Hornets.

If the league had been honest from the beginning and let people know that Stern had ultimate veto power then this wouldn't have been quite as big an issue. But instead, the league said that they would stay out of the FO decisions. That's why everyone was broadsided by this.

Letting other owners influence what goes on in the front office presents so many ridiculous conflicts of interest issues that it's not even funny. You have the issue of spite as was the case here, as well as the fact that some owners (particular WC ones) might want to do a deal that screws the Hornets so it helps their own teams. These owners have no business whatsoever influencing the front office decisions of this team.

Wojo says the trade is DEAD:

The Hornets-Clippers deal for Chris Paul has died, league source tells Y! Sports.
    Sollozzo was right. This whole thing is HILARIOUS.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, what does the league want sent to NOLA for CP3? I'd taken the LAC offer and run to the bank!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_SI

Thirteen days until the season starts, the Hornets don't even have half an NBA roster. #basketballreasons
    No deal is good enough, because the league screwed up by not letting the first deal go through.

If the NBA has any interest in maintaining some kind of fairness... HE. CAN'T. BE. TRADED.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If I'm Dell Demps I just quit right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Read Dan Gilbert's email to Stern. He didn't even mention 19 million. He probably wasn't even aware of it. His ranting is completely focused on jealousy toward the Lakers.
    Try reading the 3rd sentence of the e-mail. It was the first reason he gave!

To me, 19 million seems to be approximately 20 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gilbert
    It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn't appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don't see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise...

Dan G.
    Granted, it doesn't mention New Orleans paying more money, but it sure does mention LA paying less, and LA dumping salary obligations meant that NO was picking them up, since the proposed deal was nearly cost-neutral to Houston.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-12-2011 at 02:22 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Well, it's looking more like it's on life support. Wojo goes on to say...

Deal is dead, "for now, anyway," source tells Y!.Could still be restructured again, but Clippers resisting steep asking price for Paul.
    If David Stern is actually negotiating in good faith, he will relent on demanding both Gordon and the pick and this gets done.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, if I'm Demps, I quit.

It could be that the Clippers were the ones that killed the deal, in which case I don't necessarily mind it. Demps could then come back and accept the previous terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    No deal is good enough, because the league screwed up by not letting the first deal go through.

If the NBA has any interest in maintaining some kind of fairness... HE. CAN'T. BE. TRADED.
    If the league really wants the Hornets to get a top-3 pick, one of the best things it can do is prevent the team from having any training camp together whatsoever.

dead as in totally dead, or dead as in "mostly dead"??

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

It wasn't until Thursday that a team knew an offer had to be good enough for Stern, hence why they were dealing with the GM of the Hornets.

If the league had been honest from the beginning and let people know that Stern had ultimate veto power then this wouldn't have been quite as big an issue. But instead, the league said that they would stay out of the FO decisions. That's why everyone was broadsided by this.

Letting other owners influence what goes on in the front office presents so many ridiculous conflicts of interest issues that it's not even funny. You have the issue of spite as was the case here, as well as the fact that some owners (particular WC ones) might want to do a deal that screws the Hornets so it helps their own teams. These owners have no business whatsoever influencing the front office decisions of this team.
    I agree, but the first deal was flat out ruinous for the Hornets. They were taking in millions in salary to get some highly paid veterans who aren't worth much. Odom was worth a late first rounder (and the team sending the pick gets to pick the draft); how much do you think Kevin Martin or Scola are worth? It was a bizarre deal for a rebuilding franchise to make.

Have you ever wondered why Demps agreed to that deal? I'm honestly curious. I find it hard to believe he actually believe that was the best deal he had on the table - from the Hornets perspective.

What Stern needs to do is to fire Demps, hire a GM with a modicum of basketball sense and instruct him about the strategy he wants - then stay out of it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

I agree it was handled poorly, but you're trying to say that the reason they vetoed it, was because the Lakers were the one's ending up with CP3. If that was the case, then they would have simply killed the trade and moved on to the next one, instead of going back and taking yet another entire day to try and make the trade happen.

So it really wasn't about him going to the Lakers, but rather, the fact that it was a horrible deal for NOH, when you look at the entire context of the deal.

And yes, it was handled horribly, but the other 28 owners own the Hornets and because they own it, they should get a say.

Do you remember how screwy dealing with Atlanta used to be, when they had 7 different owners who all got to voice their opinion? This situation is no different.

I just don't think Stern realized that Demps was a complete moron. There's no way you lose the best player in the deal, don't even get a first round pick, and take on an $20mil and that be considered a "good" deal for a franchise that needs a new owner and a complete roster overhaul.

I bet Demps lost all the control he thought he had. You can clearly see the difference in how NOH handled the Clippers deal that fell through and the Lakers deal they tried taking. I don't think Demps is the one pulling the strings now.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Read Dan Gilbert's email to Stern. He didn't even mention 19 million. He probably wasn't even aware of it. His ranting is completely focused on jealousy toward the Lakers and doesn't even mention the Hornets specifically. 19 million has just been a convenient post hoc excuse to justify a move that was inspired 100% by pure jealousy.
    Gilbert's letter was mailed AFTER the trade was vetoed. It had nothing to do with it.

Gilbert is not the one that vetoed the deal. I wish people would recognize that.

The 19 million wasn't a factor to the current owners. It was a factor in stern trying to sell the team.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Yeah, the idea that the deal was vetoed because of Gilbert or the owners being jealous is bogus.

Stern vetoed the deal because it'd destroy the little value the Hornets may have. Burying the team in salaries and mediocrity without any positive assets. Not that I agree with his decision, he should have paid the price for his poor picking of a care-taking GM. The rest are the usual conspiracy theories.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think this should've been the decision from the beginning.

Mood

Rondo to indiana part IV??

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to oz_pacer For This Useful Post:

Demps was never going to be GM for long. Hence in my opinion he was looking to acquire players for this season, without regard to the long-term interests. The Lakers-Rockets-Hornets deal satified his criteria completely. Odom and Scola are older, but produce.

Stern had a very different perspective- the need to sell the team, convincing potential owners of contained costs and future potential.

The Clips deal would seem to be a lot closer to Stern's objective, and the demand to also include E Gordon seems to fill both short and long-term issues.

I think the deal may have a heartbeat again soon, if the E Gordon component is dropped.

Sports Logo

Could someone tell me what the "proposed" deal that ultimately fell through?

Did it involve Bledsoe or Gordon?

Also...I assume the "filler" was all Expiring contracts...and how many 1st round draft picks?

Was it something like Bledsoe+Minny's 1st+LAC 1st+Aminu+Expiring?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

If this Paul-to-Clippers trade doesn't go down, nothing will. Paul will stay a Hornet for this season.

Nothing is beating Gordon and/or Minny's #1 pick + Aminu +Bledsoe + Kaman.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Could someone tell me what the "proposed" deal that ultimately fell through?
    Kaman - Bledoe - Aminu - Minnesota's unprotected 1st round pick

Another report was Aminu - Kaman - Eric Gordon

.... I don't get it.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Yeah, the idea that the deal was vetoed because of Gilbert or the owners being jealous is bogus.

Stern vetoed the deal because it'd destroy the little value the Hornets may have. Burying the team in salaries and mediocrity without any positive assets. Not that I agree with his decision, he should have paid the price for his poor picking of a care-taking GM. The rest are the usual conspiracy theories.
    I don't know how letting the only marketable player on their roster just walk away without any compensation is going to help the value of that franchise and further a potential sale.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post

I don't think the deal would have been near as crippling as you make it out to be.

First, Odom has a team option for 12-13 so they could have just decided to not pick that up if they so pleased. Second, Kevin Martin is a FA after 2013 so in a year from now he is an expiring contract. Scola is the only long term contract and it is indeed a long and pricey deal. But Odom and Kevin Martin's deals aren't that bad at all. And they would have at least had a competitive team.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-12-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Default Packaged Deals that could Work

Collison + Granger + (any guard) maybe D.Jones for Chris Paul (draft picks)
    the hornets would be getting young good players in return and getting a pure shooter in granger..

OR

Roy + Granger + (any Guard) + Any Draft pick for Dwight Howard
    The magic starters would be, nelson (ourguard)/richardson granger big baby davis and roy.. thats overall a young and good lineup...