Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Pacers Need Another B/U Center- Who?

Default Re: Pacers Need Another B/U Center- Who?

I know people have mentioned him -- but definitely Dalembert is the guy I'd like to see.

Yes, he will be a bit pricey, but -- he's also a guy that has been a starter everywhere he has been and is one of the better defenders/rebounding big men in the league. He's also a good locker room guy. If Hibbert got injured or got into foul trouble(which is something he's known to do), Dalembert is a guy that can give you 30 minutes and actually contribute at a high level.

Besides, not like we have a lot of interior defense, anyway.

Default Re: Back up center

Thabeet is available.

He's young, cheap, and can have a lot of upside.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As many have suggested....Foster is not up to playing 18 mpg for the entire season....IMHO, if we have the $$ I'd rather spend it on very Solid Backup Center and push Foster back to the bench and use him in the Solomon Jones role as an "emergency Big". If you want a deep frontcourt, having Foster as the 4th ( not 3rd ) Big Man is deep.

The question is who we should go after that is willing to come to a team as a Backup Big to play a consisistent 18 mpg that is better than Foster?...I love Foster....but he's no longer built to handle 18 mpg.
    Foster was not asked to play 18mpg last year. OK, it came out to just under 17, but the stats don't truly indicate what happened.

12 times out of his 56 games played last year, he was asked to play significantly longer minutes mostly b/c of Roy's foul trouble (in two games he had to play about 29-30 minutes), so these games greatly skewed his average.

Remember that he was not rushed back last season by JOB. He didn't play the first few games as he was still at the end of rehabbing from last season. He played two games, perhaps even then too soon, the second one being against Dwight, replacing Hibbert (foul trouble), then missed about two weeks when he sought treatment in Boston, but from then on, he did not miss significant time except a rest here or there.

There is a risk for any player to miss significant games, and a legit reason to have good back ups at each position, but to relegate Foster automatically to Solo status without good reason seems silly and is at best premature. Very few "emergency bigs" can light up the glass like he did several times last season. I remember him coming in at least twice last season and playing like a man possessed, grabbing 6-7 rebounds in his 6-7 minute initial stints. Play him smart and he should be durable. By the way, he played significant minutes the very next game after facing Dwight later in the season.
    Last edited by joeyd; 12-13-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    MAkes no difference. He should be kind in his reply.
    I don't think the guy he was talking to is going to mind.
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: We need another center

Three threads about a getting a third sting center on the first page! Man, I guess we are worried about this, huh?

I am concerned about Foster's back for sure and the new Jeff is a question mark. But we're talking about third string here...couldn't we just snag someone from the D-League if for some reason the three guys we already have don't end up being enough? If the very worst happens and Hibbert is out for a long stretch, a third string quality center is not gonna save us.

Unless of course we are talking about using our cap space on someone significantly more talented than third string...but who would that be? I see scrubs and borderline starters available (or semi-available) who would probably cost too much and or expect to start.
    Last edited by gummy; 12-13-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: We need another center

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Three threads about a getting a third sting center on the first page! Man, I guess we are worried about this, huh?

I am concerned about Foster's back for sure and the new Jeff is a question mark. But we're talking about third string here...couldn't we just snag someone from the D-League if for some reason the three guys we already have don't end up being enough? If the very worst happens and Hibbert is out for a long stretch, a third string quality center is not gonna save us.
    It all depends on what we get from Pendergraph. If he's a remotely competent center, we should be set there. If he's below-replacement, then obviously it's an issue. But this may be something that we can't even know until games have been played (at least preseason ones).
    "And Tottenham do not know what hit them...well I can tell you, it's Theo Walcott!"

"And it's Tony Adams put through by Steve Bould, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?! That...sums it all up."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Brohan Cruyff For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    No-brainer for us. Why would Philly do that?
    Doug Collins hates Speights, they want to dump him the same way we want to dump Rush. They lost Kapono and it's up in the air if they keep Nocioni, they could use a bit of wing depth. One he could use a change of scenery for another.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Dalembert is proven plus he can really can play "D" !!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Foster was not asked to play 18mpg last year. OK, it came out to just under 17, but the stats don't truly indicate what happened.

12 times out of his 56 games played last year, he was asked to play significantly longer minutes mostly b/c of Roy's foul trouble (in two games he had to play about 29-30 minutes), so these games greatly skewed his average.

Remember that he was not rushed back last season by JOB. He didn't play the first few games as he was still at the end of rehabbing from last season. He played two games, perhaps even then too soon, the second one being against Dwight, replacing Hibbert (foul trouble), then missed about two weeks when he sought treatment in Boston, but from then on, he did not miss significant time except a rest here or there.

There is a risk for any player to miss significant games, and a legit reason to have good back ups at each position, but to relegate Foster automatically to Solo status without good reason seems silly and is at best premature. Very few "emergency bigs" can light up the glass like he did several times last season. I remember him coming in at least twice last season and playing like a man possessed, grabbing 6-7 rebounds in his 6-7 minute initial stints. Play him smart and he should be durable. By the way, he played significant minutes the very next game after facing Dwight later in the season.
    My whole point is that whoever backs up Hibbert will have to play between 16 to 20 mpg on a nightly basis.....I don't think that foster can play that many minutes a night for 66 games.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    MAkes no difference. He should be kind in his reply.
    Do unto others . . .

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

We're simply too small in the front court other then Roy and he isn't a strong rebounder. Adding West to the mix will help with scoring but we'll be in the bottom half of the league for rebounding. We need a traditional big man who plays in the paint. If's he's good enough to take minutes any of our other bigs then so be it, that's not a bad thing.
    I'd like to see us make a run at a Kaman trade. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but Bird has shown that he's in the drivers seat when it comes to trades. I'd offer Rush or Jones and a second to see if they bite. We'd be helping them with Cap room and still not hurting ourselfs to make another move this year. Kamans contract is over this season so it's not a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Doug Collins hates Speights, they want to dump him the same way we want to dump Rush. They lost Kapono and it's up in the air if they keep Nocioni, they could use a bit of wing depth. One he could use a change of scenery for another.

He's young, big, plays C/PF, has talent, and is on a rookie contract. Plus we could get rid of Rush. What more is needed?

2nd thought everytime Bird trys to trade Rush the deal fails, so offer them a 2nd rounder and Cap.

Speaking of Rush, could Denver use him for a far far away 2nd and Cap?

My whole point is that whoever backs up Hibbert will have to play between 16 to 20 mpg on a nightly basis.....I don't think that foster can play that many minutes a night for 66 games.

Especially, backs to backs to backs and 5 games in 7 days. Foster is going to need to be rested.

Was Foster rested some on b2b's last year? Maybe, I'm thinking of another NBA player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    We're simply too small in the front court other then Roy and he isn't a strong rebounder. Adding West to the mix will help with scoring but we'll be in the bottom half of the league for rebounding. We need a traditional big man who plays in the paint. If's he's good enough to take minutes any of our other bigs then so be it, that's not a bad thing.
    I'd like to see us make a run at a Kaman trade. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but Bird has shown that he's in the drivers seat when it comes to trades. I'd offer Rush or Jones and a second to see if they bite. We'd be helping them with Cap room and still not hurting ourselfs to make another move this year. Kamans contract is over this season so it's not a gamble.

I truly feel the Pacers need that 6th Big and it being a Center. I like the idea of Kaman. Just don't know if Bird could pull this trade out of his hat.

I still can't get over Kwame Brown getting 7 mil for 1 year... unbelieveable. It just absolutely boggles my mind.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Kwame's a good man defender. Big body, athletic, strong ... can lock down on post defense. Not much of a shot blocker or anything, but -- he does play hard and is a good asset. Maybe a bit too much, but for a one year deal for a team desperate for defense, it's not that bad of a contract.

I'm not arguing the point that we need another big. But the idea is to have Roy play more minutes this year and avoid foul trouble. Roy averaged only about 28 minutes per game but played 25 minutes or less (sometimes way way less than that) in over 25% of his games. So if Roy plays better, there is no need to have Jeff play 20 mpg. I prefer having Foster back up Roy b/c on a per minute basis, Jeff was as good or better than Roy in most statistical areas except blocks last year, and there is no reason to think Jeff will fall off this year. Even if we get a third big, unless he is better, I want Foster coming off the bench, for however many minutes Vogel thinks he can get out of Jeff on a per-night basis, adjusted for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    Kwame's a good man defender. Big body, athletic, strong ... can lock down on post defense. Not much of a shot blocker or anything, but -- he does play hard and is a good asset. Maybe a bit too much, but for a one year deal for a team desperate for defense, it's not that bad of a contract.
    He also signed with the warriors!