Thread: David West's expecting salary

Default David West's expecting salary

David West is expecting to make around $28 million over 3 years. I think that is very reasonble for him. As of right now he has not signed a contract do due the specualtion of Howard.

I think the Pacers should jump on offerring him a relative same contract (3 year / $28 mill).
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: David West's expecting salary

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David West is expecting to make around $28 million over 3 years. I think that is very reasonble for him. As of right now he has not signed a contract do due the specualtion of Howard.

I think the Pacers should jump on offerring him a relative same contract (3 year / $28 mill).
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. I am hoping that DWest will get signed so this is no longer an option. I really dont trust his age, health, or skill set anymore. I would rather explore trades or amnesty before committing to a contract like that. We really need a defensive banger not a guy who just stands and shoots jumpshots all day.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

he would not come here for that $$ amount. He is only going to a contender like Boston for that amount. We would have to outbid Boston and probably by a lot.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    he would not come here for that $$ amount. He is only going to a contender like Boston for that amount. We would have to outbid Boston and probably by a lot.
    /thread

Your point is hard to argue with. We dont know for sure what a player is thinking about, but it would be hard to imagine hime turning down Boston to come to Indiana.

I remember during the playoffs listening to Charles Barkley say that Lebron should have went to Indiana if he wanted to win for the next decade. He was making the point that the Pacers have a lot of young talent that would thrive with a superstar.

But, West is no superstar or even close to it really.

Pass.

Now, that is overpaying folks. Over 9M for a guy who has health issues and has a finesse game. I don't think so. Not for another undersized PF. Tyler is probably going to be better this year or pretty soon anyway.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

...and this is why Boston and teams like them will almost always dominate.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

But Boston and teams like them DO NOT always dominate.

This exodus of prime stars via FA to "better" markets is so overplayed, and the results from when it does happen are even more overplayed. The Knicks didn't get better by going after Melo, and the Nuggets didn't get worse.

The Cavs went down for 1 year and then added 2 top 5 picks.

And most of these teams can't actually outbid the Pacers in the open market. And the ones that do are helping to remove themselves from next year's market.

The best markets and destinations are the ones with the best front office, best coaching and best teammates. Guys that would ignore those aspects and go for TV time or the beach are guys that are not going to be great players or at the very least less productive than their talent/salary.

Lebron has talent but lacks the Jordan, Bird, Magic basketball drive. Bird would never leave an Indy Celtics team to go to Miami (meaning that team but based in Indy instead). It was Red and how he ran and assembled that team that made Larry like it there.

The Pacers have a built in bulls*** filter that actually helps the team. If you aren't serious and devoted to the sport then you don't want to be here, and we don't want you. Indy is a city and hopefully a team for guys that want to man up and ball, no excuses and put in the work.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    But Boston and teams like them DO NOT always dominate.

This exodus of prime stars via FA to "better" markets is so overplayed, and the results from when it does happen are even more overplayed. The Knicks didn't get better by going after Melo, and the Nuggets didn't get worse.
    Not that very day, no, but less than a year later they now have a frontcourt of Melo, Amare, and Chandler. I think they're okay with how things have gone thus far.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Not that very day, no, but less than a year later they now have a frontcourt of Melo, Amare, and Chandler. I think they're okay with how things have gone thus far.
    Yeah I would say there doing Okay,lol. They still have D'antoni as coach so I dont look for a ring or a finals appearance as long as he is coach. As a Knick hater i hope he continues to be their coach,lol.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

17. The Following User Says Thank You to trs72 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Just like people were saying Miami was going to win 70 games before the season started.

They did get to the Finals but Dallas handled them fairly well and it's not like the rest of the path was clear cut and smooth (not even the #1 seed). And there's no reason to think the Bulls are about to get more out of the way this year than last.

When Butler went down for Dallas NO ONE was saying "boy, it's so unfair how Dallas gets all the best players and dominates every year". No one.

But what does happen every year is people lose their s*** over ON PAPER teams and how it's totally unfair and how small markets can't compete. And yet here sits OKC with Durant in for at least the medium haul and probably Westbrook as well. Here are the Pacers poised to give both Chicago and Miami more problems than they did last year, and those problems weren't exactly tiny blips.

Imagine a Bucks fan right now saying how unfair it is that a team like Indy has an unfair advantage because they can sign West, maybe because of the Larry Bird factor or something.

When you believe the conspiracy/disadvantage then you seek out every hint of proof and dismiss any significant counters to it.

If it was as easy as just signing FAs then Detroit would have at least been a solid playoff team the last 2 years. They "won" the FA market and went in the toilet.

But it's damn certain if the Pistons had won with CV and BG then hundreds of PD posters would have been crying about how unfair it is that they can't compete to get those same FAs.

Every failed FA situation gets totally forgotten about because it failed and stops being news.

Heck, the Pacers beat out the Warriors for Harrington (and the Bucks?) thanks to the Peja TE. How'd that work out for us? He's was traded after half a season and helped cost us Rick Carlisle.

FAs flop all the time, just as much as trades. New York hasn't won a single game yet.

And the more the Lakers added to their dynasty the worse it got, until it ended with the Payton/Malone super team getting 5 game virtual swept.

Frankly Miami has the best signing so far because Battier actually addresses a need for a fair price, rather than just loading up on another "name" with a stat line that's unachievable when added to 3 other guys with the same stat line.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    David West is expecting to make around $28 million over 3 years. I think that is very reasonble for him. As of right now he has not signed a contract do due the specualtion of Howard. I think the Pacers should jump on offerring him a relative same contract (3 year / $28 mill).

Rumored amount according to MillerTime: $9.3 million per year
    Actual amount the Pacers got him for: $10 million per year (and only a two year contract!)

I guess we are a contender! Or, the definition of "a lot" has really changed.

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to poke ya a bit, P4E.

teehee
    Last edited by gummy; 12-11-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    teehee
    we did out bid boston by a lot by 6m and another chance for him to get paid in 2 years.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

He took the money over a chance to contend. Can't blame him.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

we did out bid boston by a lot by 6m and another chance for him to get paid in 2 years.
    Er...you were responding to the 3 years, $28 million idea when you said that. There is no $6 million dollar difference between $9.3 mil a year and $10 mil a year.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Er...you were responding to the 3 years, $28 million idea when you said that. There is no $6 million dollar difference between $9.3 mil a year and $10 mil a year.
    the most they could offer was 3yrs 24m they couldn't offer 28m

read this http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...in_west_121011

Mood

the most they could offer was 3yrs 24m they couldn't offer 28m

read this http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...in_west_121011
    Totally irrelevant to what transpired here in this thread. The OP put out the 3 years, $28 million dollar figure and you said he would not come here for that amount - you didn't say "Oh, but they can't even offer that." And he did come here, and for less than a million more per year than was proposed in the OP you were responding to. It's right up there in black and white. There's no shame in being wrong - I was inclined to agree with that myself a day or two ago.

But I'll let it go.
    Last edited by gummy; 12-12-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    He took the money over a chance to contend. Can't blame him.
    Yep, he made a smart financial decision, good for him. Boston is probably better than us but I am not sure they are contenders this year on the backs of their aging big three. I think they need to make a move of some significance to be in the Miami/Chicago league.