Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What the *bleep* is our cap space good for, again? (Crawford to Knicks?)

Mood

Default What the *bleep* is our cap space good for, again? (Crawford to Knicks?)

You gotta be ******** me with these multiple free agents (the relatively "big ones") going to contenders/big markets through these sign and trades.

First David West and the Celtics, now possibly Jamal Crawford to the Knicks.

It's getting ****ing ridiculous as a fan of a small market who patiently waited for YEARS to get cap space only to watch it apparently mean D***.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/new-york-k...amal-crawford/

And it's not really about those two in particular (though I had interest in them, to a point), but the general principle of it all. I've never felt like our team was so worthless in the grander picture than I have this week. It's damned demoralizing.

#frustratedbeyondbelief

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What the *bleep* is our cap space good for, again? (Crawford to Knicks?)

I was never sold we wanted Jamal Crawford. Bird rarely lets anyone know what he's really going for. Nene was unavoidable though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What the *bleep* is our cap space good for, again? (Crawford to Knicks?)

Why would the Hawks help the Knicks get better they are pretty identical both semi-contenders.

I just dont get why we didnt do this last year with Dunleavy's contract or what not I guess no free agents want to come here?

I wouldn't be shocked if it happened, but judging from the article it's far from a done deal. The Knicks are "attempting" to acquire a free agent, "if" the Hawks agree. The Knicks "would love to add" Crawford. Doesn't sound like anything is set in stone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I will continue to ask this......

HOW THE EFF are Teams that are way over the FRAKKIN CAP...MUCH LESS the FRAKKIN Luxury Tax Limit able to make a run at the Top Tier FAs this season?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Cap space never guaranteed anything. And I always argued against the idea that a team has to get really bad before it cam get good, primarily for the very reason that no free agents want to go to teams that has not been good.

It would have been much much easier to sign free agents for the pacers in 2000 than it is right now because the pacers have not been good in years.

Big market is also important, but Indy will never be a big market.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-10-2011 at 10:57 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

The NBA is ridiculous. Why am I still paying attention to it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

It just doesn't seem like a very good free agent class. I wouldn't pay Nene 14 or 15 million a year. I like Tyson Chandler but I probably wouldn't have paid him what the Knicks did. I'm not sure the Pacers even really went after David West.

I have a hard time criticizing the Pacers. When I play fantasy GM in my head, I doubt there's anything I'd do differently.

I guess the main thing I would have done differently, is I would have reached out to McRoberts.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mono For This Useful Post:

It doesn't matter how good a team is managed or how good the team is. It matters a whole lot more where they are located.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Here's part of the article:

One day after reaching a surprising agreement with center Tyson Chandler, the New York Knicks are attempting to acquire another notable free agent. The Knicks are zeroing in on Jamal Crawford and trying to add the veteran shooting guard through a sign-and-trade, according to sources close to the situation.

The Knicks contacted Crawford’s camp on Friday and are trying to sell him on the situation. Crawford would have to take a significant pay cut to join the Knicks, but sources say he’s open to the idea.

New York is over the cap and has no exception money. They also have few trade assets to offer. If the Hawks were willing to do a sign-and-trade with New York built around Renaldo Balkman’s $1.67 million deal, Bill Walker’s $916,000 deal and Toney Douglas’ $1.145 million deal, the Knicks would be sending out $3.73 million in salaries. The new collective bargaining agreement would allow New York to take back 150 percent plus or minus $100,000, which would give Crawford a starting salary of $5.6 million.
    Crawford might as well go to the Heat, Lakers or Nets IF he wants to take a paycut.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'd like to say that there's always next year, but then I look at the FA class...blah

But honestly, the more I think about it the more
    I'm ok with standing pat right now. We've got one of the best young teams in the league and I could see us surprising a few people this year. If we progress this year like I think we will, free agents will be a lot more willing to go to Indiana. Obviously not the superstars, but some top free agents at least. Remember this is a team that finished below .500 last year. It's going to be a few years until we're ready to compete.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mono View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It just doesn't seem like a very good free agent class. I wouldn't pay Nene 14 or 15 million a year. I like Tyson Chandler but I probably wouldn't have paid him what the Knicks did. I'm not sure the Pacers even really went after David West.

I have a hard time criticizing the Pacers. When I play fantasy GM in my head, I doubt there's anything I'd do differently.

I guess the main thing I would have done differently, is I would have reached out to McRoberts.
    I hope there's not a misunderstanding here: I didn't start this thread to criticize the Indiana Pacers. If anything, I was criticizing the National Basketball Association.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Must admit that lack of FA signings on our part hasn't worried me one iota. Aside from Nene there is no 'must get' that fits what we are doing. Crawford, West, Landry, are luxuries but not necessities - hardly the difference between contending and not. Our cap space will turn out being valuable in a trading scenario and that is where will see the benefit on the roster.

Once the free and easy money is gone in the next 48hrs on the FA market we will become players.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I will continue to ask this......

HOW THE EFF are Teams that are way over the FRAKKIN CAP...MUCH LESS the FRAKKIN Luxury Tax Limit able to make a run at the Top Tier FAs this season?
    Keep in mind that the new luxury tax rules will not be implemented for the next two seasons...

Teams pay $1 for every $1 their salary is above the luxury-tax threshold in 2011-12 and 2012-13. Starting in 2012-13, teams pay an incremental tax that increases with every $5 million above the tax threshold ($1.50, $1.75, $2.50, $3.25, etc.). Teams that are repeat offenders (paying tax at least four out of the past five seasons) have a tax that is higher still — $1 more at each increment ($2.50, $2.75, $3.50, $4.25, etc.).
    I actually think this is a bit wrong as what is written doesn't really make sense... I don't think the extra incremental tax kicks in until 2013-14.

Anyway, the point is that for now things are pretty much the same, but in a couple of years the teams that are way over the cap will get creamed and will be looking to unload some contracts, which is why it may be a good idea for the Pacers to avoid overpaying for anyone right now...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I hope there's not a misunderstanding here: I didn't start this thread to criticize the Indiana Pacers. If anything, I was criticizing the National Basketball Association.
    I wasn't really rebutting or arguing against your post. Just adding some thoughts.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mono For This Useful Post:

Hicks - why don't you open an IU Basketball Forum? This is coming from a Purdue fan. It's time to show our displeasure. In any event, I think I've decided to follow college basketball this winter.

Edit: Now...we know you're in bed with the Pacers. Probably on the payroll. J/K
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 12-10-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Keep in mind that the new luxury tax rules will not be implemented for the next two seasons...

I actually think this is a bit wrong as what is written doesn't really make sense... I don't think the extra incremental tax kicks in until 2013-14.

Anyway, the point is that for now things are pretty much the same, but in a couple of years the teams that are way over the cap will get creamed and will be looking to unload some contracts, which is why it may be a good idea for the Pacers to avoid overpaying for anyone right now...
    Old CBA or new CBA rules, it doesn't matter....what has happened this offseason with Teams like the Knicks and Celtics where they can make any run at any top Tier FAs is beyond ( as Hicks says ) frustrating.

BTW...the new CBA allowed for the Knicks to get Chandler.....they couldn't do it without amnesty-ing Billups.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    ah, then i take back my thanks. i'm criticizing the indiana pacers for doing jack ****

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Cap space never guaranteed anything. And I always argued against the idea that a team has to get really bad before it cam get good, primarily for the very reason that no free agents want to go to teams that has not been good.

It would have been much much easier to sign free agents for the pacers in 2000 than it is right now because the pacers have not been good in years.

Big market is also important, but Indy will never be a big market.
    teams have to get bad so you can build though the draft most teams dont build though FA. But small market teams must suck for 3-5 years before they can contend that's just the nature of the NBA. And when i say suck I say bottom 3 in the NBA for at least a few years. Tanking and good drafting is what helps small markets compete for titles not being stuck mediocre for year after year. No free agent would of went to the Sonics the year they took Kevin Durant but now they can attract them and that is because they have a good team they built from tanking and drafting well. But OKC likely wont get free agents they are focusing on paying there own guys and keep drafting good players like Reggie Jackson.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-10-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    ah, then i take back my thanks. i'm criticizing the indiana pacers for doing jack ****
    Excuse my language, but what the can we do???

If indoor sport players care more about the climate/ market size of teams they go to more than NFL players - What else can we do but be financially smart, and try to build a TEAM in the way the Championship Pistons did?
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Banned

Hicks I know you don't want to critice the Pacers so I would do it for you I have a huge problem with the way Larry is doing things, it seems to me like he has way to many untouchables on the team, Danny,Hibbert,Paul George,Tyler,Lance, who knows who else in untouchable? how in the F are you going to make trades if you don't want to trade anybody but the players that nobody else wants? I have a feeling that he is trying to low ball everybody from the GM's on the other teams to the free agents, yes it's good to have somebody who is responsable but this is getting ridiculous, he told us to wait for this amazing days and so far he has not deliver.

Miller, Smits and Dale Davis were the foundation of our last good team. Were they not all drafted by the Pacers? The Lakers didn't draft Kobe, Shaq, Odom, Gasol, Artest, etc.

I don't think we needed this free agent season to make it so much more obvious...

The apparent lack of effort on the part of our front office in free agency tells me there must be some sort of trade they are putting their focus toward. If that's not the case TPTB's jobs can't be safe.

I don't think Bird or Pacer management is a problem. I think the system is broken. Heck, I know the system is broken.

39. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

This trend has always been there. The only difference is twitter didn't exist so it wasn't shoved in our face.

It's frustrating, and it definitely shows why Larry's strategy makes sense for a team like ours.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: