Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Luck was runner up

    As a believer of the Heisman curse with QBs I will be relieved when we draft Luck at #1

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,831
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Monte Ball should of won but RG3 was great as well

  4. #3

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    I don't think Montae Ball is a big enough name to warrant a Heisman

    At least compared to Luck/Griffin who have been talked about all season

    And the Honey Badger.

  5. #4
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Who cares about college football

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,050
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who cares about college football
    I do. What's your point?

  8. #6

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who cares about college football


    A lot of people actually.

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,831
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont care about college football. In fact I dont know why I even opened this thread.
    FIXED

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    To me, it's a completely broken sport. The fact LSU has to beat Alabama AGAIN to win the national title, while everyone else doesn't get a chance is just flat out stupid. Especially when the mantra for the SEC and the BCS is "every game counts", well, that is apparently true...unless you're Alabama.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  13. #9

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me, it's a completely broken sport. The fact LSU has to beat Alabama AGAIN to win the national title, while everyone else doesn't get a chance is just flat out stupid. Especially when the mantra for the SEC and the BCS is "every game counts", well, that is apparently true...unless you're Alabama.
    To play the devil's advocate, LSU vs Alabama is a match up of the two best teams, and it's not like rematches never happen with playoffs. The Giants beat New England for the Super Bowl after NE had beaten them in the regular season already to go 16-0. In 1985, Villanova beat Georgetown for the championship after Georgetown had beaten them twice in the regular season already.

    The NCAA Men's tournament gave us an 8th seeded Butler vs a UConn team that finished 9th in their Conference. No one in their right mind would say they were even close to the top two teams in the land.

  14. #10
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,200
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To play the devil's advocate, LSU vs Alabama is a match up of the two best teams...
    Well then, this logic dictates that the top 10 teams in the BCS standings should be the only ones considered for the 4 BSC bowls and the national title game right? And that's the way it always happens anyway right? Or are you forgetting that in 2008 a 19th ranked 9-4 Va. Tech. team scored a BCS Bowl by winning the battle of who could care less in the ACC that year? Why on earth would conference affiliation make them more deserving that years than any number of the other teams not chosen for BCS games that would have absolutely CRUSHED them that year? Like Boise State or TCU, who were both superior to Va Tech that season and not only did they get passed over by the BCS, they had to play EACH OTHER in the Poinsettia Bowl. Are you serious? This is the system we let choose a college football national champion? No thanks. Until they play a true playoff, I will consider NONE of them champions.

  15. #11

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well then, this logic dictates that the top 10 teams in the BCS standings should be the only ones considered for the 4 BSC bowls and the national title game right? And that's the way it always happens anyway right? Or are you forgetting that in 2008 a 19th ranked 9-4 Va. Tech. team scored a BCS Bowl by winning the battle of who could care less in the ACC that year? Why on earth would conference affiliation make them more deserving that years than any number of the other teams not chosen for BCS games that would have absolutely CRUSHED them that year? Like Boise State or TCU, who were both superior to Va Tech that season and not only did they get passed over by the BCS, they had to play EACH OTHER in the Poinsettia Bowl. Are you serious? This is the system we let choose a college football national champion? No thanks. Until they play a true playoff, I will consider NONE of them champions.
    I'm not really sure what your point here is? My point is that under one system we get LSU and Alabama, clearly the two best teams as far as I'm concerned, in the national title game and in the other we got UConn and Butler, who weren't really the two best teams at all (and they showed it).

    I'm in favor of a playoff for football, because many years it's not clear cut between two teams, but don't act like that will clear up the griping between the have and have not leagues. If you have a playoff, they'll have to have some form of ranking the teams and you'll have the same debates. Complaining about Va Tech being ranked too high by the BCS ranking system (or picked by a selection committee) doesn't solve itself with a playoff, it just gives Va Tech a possibility to win the title! There's always going to be people who feel slighted or that others got a chance they didn't deserve.

  16. #12

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me, it's a completely broken sport. The fact LSU has to beat Alabama AGAIN to win the national title, while everyone else doesn't get a chance is just flat out stupid. Especially when the mantra for the SEC and the BCS is "every game counts", well, that is apparently true...unless you're Alabama.

    I prefer the NFL but I grew up watching Notre Dame Football(it was considered our professional team and yes there was the Bears too but I hate them) so I still have an attachment to college football.

    And well there's Purdue (my alumnus) beyond that? I don't really care for College Football anymore.

    The BCS sucks if they had a playoff system it would be so much better.

  17. #13
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,222

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    We won't draft Luck (ding). We're drafting Matt Barkley from USC.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  18. #14
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Yes, but there were at least tournaments that set up those rematches.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. #15
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,634

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    I think RGIII deserved it. He was by far the most exciting player to watch this year and he consistantly put up big numbers, even when his team fell short and lost the game.

    Part of me wants the Colts to trade our pick and move down and take Griffin.. He's Vick but bigger, as agile and he can pass better. Also has the clutch gene.

  20. #16

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Division III football has a real championship, this weekend.

    32 team playoff, five straight weeks starting Saturday after Thanksgiving, and it's all wrapped up more than a week before Christmas.

    Maybe 32 or even 16 teams in a playoff is overkill for D-1, but there is no freakin' reason not to have a REAL CHAMPION with at least an 8 team tourney, and not some farce one game fake title whose matchup is decided by sportswriters and computers.

    Pathetic.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Look at Alabama's resume, no impartial observer could really say they've earned that Championship bid.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look at Alabama's resume, no impartial observer could really say they've earned that Championship bid.
    Other than the fact that Alabama has a higher RPI than every other school not named LSU. Alabama has a tougher SOS than anyone else in the top 10, not named LSU.

    And other than the fact that they lost to the consensus #1 team in OT by 3 points, and missed 3 other FGs just to get to that point.

    They're the best 1 loss team in the nation, hands down. If OSU wanted to crash the party then they shouldn't have gotten beat by a 6-6 team.

    There's no way you can look at OSU and Alabama and say that OSU deserves it more. No way.

    EDIT: I hate the BCS just as much as you guys, but LSU/Alabama isn't the example that should be brought up. They're the two best teams in the nation, and I fully believe that any system that would have been in place, tournament or not, would prove that.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-16-2011 at 09:12 AM.

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    I'm not going to argue that these are not the two best teams in the country considering how the last 2 teams LSU played couldn't stop them like Bama did, but the argument that Bama had a high SOS is debunked below. The SEC has some really bad teams.

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm - 22
    http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c..._rankings.html - 29
    http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...hedule-by-team - 2
    http://www.andersonsports.com/football/ACF_frnk.html - 22
    http://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html - 26

  26. #20
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,008
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Just to add to this conversation, Bama had a 4=1 record against top 15 teams, all besides 1 were won by more than 24 points and most were not home games. I agree they could have had a much tougher schedule this year, georgia southern late in the year was a joke.

    I think it is really hard to distinguish who deserves what more though in college football, it is mostly all money driven anyways, I just take it for what it is most of the time. I doubt we will ever have a playoff for various reasons, but I do think this will be a good game in which either team can win.
    Why so SERIOUS

  27. #21
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    I'd watch college football if I didn't already know who the top 4 teams contending for the championship was going to be.

  28. #22
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,258
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    SO WHO ARE THEY NEXT YEAR THEN?
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  29. #23
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,200
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Well, LSU didn't help at all here. They got DOMINATED by Alabama. Alabama took LSU to the woodshed, added on, and started their own sawmill.

  30. #24
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,160

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    I really don't get all the Griffin love on this board. The closest NFL comparison to Luck and Griffin is Peyton and Vick. Who would take Vick over Peyton?

  31. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Robert Griffin III won the Heisman

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't get all the Griffin love on this board. The closest NFL comparison to Luck and Griffin is Peyton and Vick. Who would take Vick over Peyton?
    The closest NFL comparison to Luck is Peyton? I dunno about that.

    I also think you'd find that Vick never approached the passing numbers Griffin had this year.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Similar Threads

  1. Griffin won dunk contest an hour before contest?
    By pacerDU in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
  2. Robert Culp has passed away
    By Basketball Fan in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
  3. Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill
    By 1984 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM
  4. more rehab for Eddie Griffin
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •