View Poll Results: If 14m is Bird's limit, should we overpay for Nene?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, 14m is either just enough or already too much

63 56.25%
  • Yes, but only 15m

26 23.21%
  • Yes, but only 16m

9 8.04%
  • Yes, but only 17m

4 3.57%
  • Yes, even 18m

4 3.57%
  • I can't decide

6 5.36%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we overpay for Nene?

Mood

Default Should we overpay for Nene?

Decided to take a poll.

Allegedly Bird's limit was 14m per year. So with that in mind, more than 14 is what I will define as overpay in this case.

Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

IMO Bird was already willing to overpay and someone decided to overpay even more.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If their limit was $14M, and they honestly believe Nene takes us to another level, then I'd go up to $15M.

However, if the asking price continued to escalate, I'd drop out.

I think $14M would have been too high.

$11-$12M would be as high as I'd go.

I don't blame Bird. If we don't make any moves, it's only because the big market teams abuse the system to get what they want and team just overpaying by a large amount for a player.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Banned

Of course you overpay a bit, like I've said before, if they were willing to pay 14mil, 2 and 3 mil shouldn't make that much difference, they can even amnesty DJ if they wanted to, getting Nene this year could have put the Pacers on the map as one of the best teams in the east and maybe then we could have been able to dream to bring a big name here as the last piece in the future, instead now we are gonna have to wait for a big team to clear cap space so we can get our hands in their crappy contracts.

Banned
    Mood

NetsDaily NetsDaily.com
    Nets offer to Nene is NOT $70m. More like $64m. Starting at a little above $15. You guys are reading wrong story.

That takes the per-season salary average down from $17.5M to $16M. Less insane, but still overpaying.

Isn't there a max that is allowed under the CBA? Is so what is that?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it averages to under 17 mil a year, and is super front loaded, I'd sign that.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

With the report the Nets have offered 4/70, 17.5 per year, I'm not interested in getting into a bidding war for Nene's services. Bird is right by not doing it. AND we all know I don't often say Bird is right about something. I'm adopting the Bird philosophy of PATIENCE. Find a player/players thru a trade or two.

Was on board with overpaying....but then I started thinking about how I'd rather have Elton Brand's contract for the two years it has left.

i wpuld pay nene 17 million but thats all..... he would be a real gamechanger for the pacers and would greatly affect the future of this franchise.... we would be top 5 in the east without question......

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i wpuld pay nene 17 million but thats all..... he would be a real gamechanger for the pacers and would greatly affect the future of this franchise.... we would be top 5 in the east without question......
    How is Nene a game changer? I guess I don't see it for a guy that never averaged more than 8 boards. I'm sure the eye test might be better, but he doesn't seem to be a good rebounder at all.

I'd rather try and trade for Okafor. At least Okafor plays good D and has been a pretty constant averaging 10boards.

Or go after Josh Smith (probably need a 3rd team) or Milsap. Hell, I'd rather trade for Jason Thompson/Jordan Hill than over pay by that large of an amount.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

He's a game changer because of what his presence does to the rest of our team. He makes us much bigger, he gives us a much needed big, strong, athletic finisher at the 4, he gives us two strong options at the C spot. That would have a DRAMATIC effect on this team, IMO.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

For that high price i'd rather take someone younger who'll be a little cheaper. My top 2 choices are Milsapp and Josh Smith. Smith will probably be a little pricier but worth it. Nene is 29. and Josh Smith way younger with more upside.

Bird made the right move for a guy like Nene.

14M is a good max.

The Nets pulled a major risk.

Don't get me wrong I really wanted Nene, but for the price the Nets paid, no thanks.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    With the report the Nets have offered 4/70, 17.5 per year, I'm not interested in getting into a bidding war for Nene's services. Bird is right by not doing it. AND we all know I don't often say Bird is right about something. I'm adopting the Bird philosophy of PATIENCE. Find a player/players thru a trade or two.
    The report says 65mil, either way I am going to keep beating the same drum, many people here don't want to trade anybody and to make a trade we are gonna have to trade somebody, if overpaying Nene 3mil more a year let's you keep your core intact you do it.

OK let's make a trade for Millsap and then we have to send at least one young player+picks, nice we have our PF but now we need to pay for another center because Milsap can't play center, how much extra we are going to pay for a decent center? by looking at some of the contracts signed yesterday a center is not getting less than 7mil a year, so Ok now we traded our young player and picks to get Milsap 7mil(Hans,DC,Hill,Rush,Hibbert,etc) plus the new center at around 7mil so at the end of the day we ended up paying 14/15mil a year for two players instead of one and lost a young player+ pick, is it worth it to do all this to save 3mil? I don't think so.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nene must be feeling extremely wanted simmering away on that back burner while NJ chases Howard.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Default This is sorta what I was getting at in my newbie thread below

If the Pacers thought he was a real gamechanger at a position of real need, why NOT overpay? Wouldn't his value to the Pacers be awfully high?

The numbers seem like arbitrary cutoffs. What puts us over the cap? Do we really need more players? If not, why NOT pay $18 mil if necessary (if we think he's the best guy available)? Why is 14 or 15 too much?

Paying $10 for somebody who's not as good but seems to have a fairer price tag doesn't strike me as a sure path to the top half of the East. But that's why I ask what the goal is.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thyrsis For This Useful Post:

Anderson Varejao looks better everyday. He solves the b/u C enter situation and can start or b/u the PF spot. He's a tuff smashmouth energy player who can bring the "D". He does not interfer with Hibbert's "O", and helps Hibbert in the paint with the "D". He's got a very reasonable type of contract. JMOAA

Seriously, who would want to look forward to playing against the Pacers with Foster, Hans, and Varejao tuffness?
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 12-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Mood

Woah, wait. Is this true??

NetsDaily.com @NetsDaily 9 mins Reply Retweeted Favorite Open
    From @chadfordinsider last night. Max for Nene, $15.5M. That's roughly $64M over 4. tinyurl.com/7aq77k3

@chadfordinsider
    Following

Max deal #'s under new CBA: 25% is $12.9 M (i.e. Gasol) … 30% is $15.5 M (ie. Nene) … 35% is $18.1 M (player with 10+ yr service)

The MOST Nene can get from anyone but Denver is a deal starting at $15.5m???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Woah, wait. Is this true??

NetsDaily.com @NetsDaily 9 mins Reply Retweeted Favorite Open
    From @chadfordinsider last night. Max for Nene, $15.5M. That's roughly $64M over 4. tinyurl.com/7aq77k3

@chadfordinsider
    Following

Max deal #'s under new CBA: 25% is $12.9 M (i.e. Gasol) … 30% is $15.5 M (ie. Nene) … 35% is $18.1 M (player with 10+ yr service)

The MOST Nene can get from anyone but Denver is a deal starting at $15.5m???
    Yes I posted that at the Nene thread yesterday, I think you can start at 15.5 and go up for up to 4years

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The report says 65mil, either way I am going to keep beating the same drum, many people here don't want to trade anybody and to make a trade we are gonna have to trade somebody, if overpaying Nene 3mil more a year let's you keep your core intact you do it.

OK let's make a trade for Millsap and then we have to send at least one young player+picks, nice we have our PF but now we need to pay for another center because Milsap can't play center, how much extra we are going to pay for a decent center? by looking at some of the contracts signed yesterday a center is not getting less than 7mil a year, so Ok now we traded our young player and picks to get Milsap 7mil(Hans,DC,Hill,Rush,Hibbert,etc) plus the new center at around 7mil so at the end of the day we ended up paying 14/15mil a year for two players instead of one and lost a young player+ pick, is it worth it to do all this to save 3mil? I don't think so.

Shame on you, of all people, for forgetting Varejao.

In my opinion anything over $10 million a year is overpaying. Anything at $14 million or above is borderline criminal incompetance.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

I'll repost from the Nene thread.

I don't think NJ has formally offerred him anything - how could they when they are in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes? Signing Nene would take them out of that. If all that money was on the table, Nene would have signed already.

I'm sure the Nets have told him Dwight is their priority, but if it falls through they will compensate him more than what other teams are offering. Nene is just in a waiting game now. If NJ lands Dwight, game over, and suddenly our offer (or Denver or Houston) now becomes his best option.

Gasol is likely in the same boat. Memphis has likely low-balled him and would rather match an offer, however teams like Indy, Houston, etc., are all waiting on Nene, who is waiting on Dwight.

Once Dwight's fate is decided, all the dominos will fall

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Shame on you, of all people, for forgetting Varejao.
    Hey you know I love Varejao, I am just not sure how healthy he is after not playing much last year, I want to see him playing first before making a decision.