View Poll Results: If 14m is Bird's limit, should we overpay for Nene?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, 14m is either just enough or already too much

    63 56.25%
  • Yes, but only 15m

    26 23.21%
  • Yes, but only 16m

    9 8.04%
  • Yes, but only 17m

    4 3.57%
  • Yes, even 18m

    4 3.57%
  • I can't decide

    6 5.36%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 84

Thread: Should we overpay for Nene?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Should we overpay for Nene?

    Decided to take a poll.

    Allegedly Bird's limit was 14m per year. So with that in mind, more than 14 is what I will define as overpay in this case.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    IMO Bird was already willing to overpay and someone decided to overpay even more.

  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    If their limit was $14M, and they honestly believe Nene takes us to another level, then I'd go up to $15M.

    However, if the asking price continued to escalate, I'd drop out.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Of course you overpay a bit, like I've said before, if they were willing to pay 14mil, 2 and 3 mil shouldn't make that much difference, they can even amnesty DJ if they wanted to, getting Nene this year could have put the Pacers on the map as one of the best teams in the east and maybe then we could have been able to dream to bring a big name here as the last piece in the future, instead now we are gonna have to wait for a big team to clear cap space so we can get our hands in their crappy contracts.

  6. #5

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    With the report the Nets have offered 4/70, 17.5 per year, I'm not interested in getting into a bidding war for Nene's services. Bird is right by not doing it. AND we all know I don't often say Bird is right about something. I'm adopting the Bird philosophy of PATIENCE. Find a player/players thru a trade or two.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the report the Nets have offered 4/70, 17.5 per year, I'm not interested in getting into a bidding war for Nene's services. Bird is right by not doing it. AND we all know I don't often say Bird is right about something. I'm adopting the Bird philosophy of PATIENCE. Find a player/players thru a trade or two.
    The report says 65mil, either way I am going to keep beating the same drum, many people here don't want to trade anybody and to make a trade we are gonna have to trade somebody, if overpaying Nene 3mil more a year let's you keep your core intact you do it.

    OK let's make a trade for Millsap and then we have to send at least one young player+picks, nice we have our PF but now we need to pay for another center because Milsap can't play center, how much extra we are going to pay for a decent center? by looking at some of the contracts signed yesterday a center is not getting less than 7mil a year, so Ok now we traded our young player and picks to get Milsap 7mil(Hans,DC,Hill,Rush,Hibbert,etc) plus the new center at around 7mil so at the end of the day we ended up paying 14/15mil a year for two players instead of one and lost a young player+ pick, is it worth it to do all this to save 3mil? I don't think so.

  8. #7

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The report says 65mil, either way I am going to keep beating the same drum, many people here don't want to trade anybody and to make a trade we are gonna have to trade somebody, if overpaying Nene 3mil more a year let's you keep your core intact you do it.

    OK let's make a trade for Millsap and then we have to send at least one young player+picks, nice we have our PF but now we need to pay for another center because Milsap can't play center, how much extra we are going to pay for a decent center? by looking at some of the contracts signed yesterday a center is not getting less than 7mil a year, so Ok now we traded our young player and picks to get Milsap 7mil(Hans,DC,Hill,Rush,Hibbert,etc) plus the new center at around 7mil so at the end of the day we ended up paying 14/15mil a year for two players instead of one and lost a young player+ pick, is it worth it to do all this to save 3mil? I don't think so.

    Shame on you, of all people, for forgetting Varejao.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shame on you, of all people, for forgetting Varejao.
    Hey you know I love Varejao, I am just not sure how healthy he is after not playing much last year, I want to see him playing first before making a decision.

  10. #9
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    I think $14M would have been too high.

    $11-$12M would be as high as I'd go.

    I don't blame Bird. If we don't make any moves, it's only because the big market teams abuse the system to get what they want and team just overpaying by a large amount for a player.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    NetsDaily NetsDaily.com
    Nets offer to Nene is NOT $70m. More like $64m. Starting at a little above $15. You guys are reading wrong story.

    That takes the per-season salary average down from $17.5M to $16M. Less insane, but still overpaying.

  12. #11
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,384

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Isn't there a max that is allowed under the CBA? Is so what is that?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  13. #12
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    If it averages to under 17 mil a year, and is super front loaded, I'd sign that.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,607

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Was on board with overpaying....but then I started thinking about how I'd rather have Elton Brand's contract for the two years it has left.

  15. #14

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    i wpuld pay nene 17 million but thats all..... he would be a real gamechanger for the pacers and would greatly affect the future of this franchise.... we would be top 5 in the east without question......

  16. #15
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i wpuld pay nene 17 million but thats all..... he would be a real gamechanger for the pacers and would greatly affect the future of this franchise.... we would be top 5 in the east without question......
    How is Nene a game changer? I guess I don't see it for a guy that never averaged more than 8 boards. I'm sure the eye test might be better, but he doesn't seem to be a good rebounder at all.

    I'd rather try and trade for Okafor. At least Okafor plays good D and has been a pretty constant averaging 10boards.

    Or go after Josh Smith (probably need a 3rd team) or Milsap. Hell, I'd rather trade for Jason Thompson/Jordan Hill than over pay by that large of an amount.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  18. #16

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Anderson Varejao looks better everyday. He solves the b/u C enter situation and can start or b/u the PF spot. He's a tuff smashmouth energy player who can bring the "D". He does not interfer with Hibbert's "O", and helps Hibbert in the paint with the "D". He's got a very reasonable type of contract. JMOAA


    Seriously, who would want to look forward to playing against the Pacers with Foster, Hans, and Varejao tuffness?
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 12-10-2011 at 01:18 PM.

  19. #17
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,215

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anderson Varejao looks better everyday. He solves the b/u C enter situation and can start or b/u the PF spot. He's a tuff smashmouth energy player who can bring the "D". He does not interfer with Hibbert's "O", and helps Hibbert in the paint with the "D". He's got a very reasonable type of contract. JMOAA


    Seriously, who would want to look forward to playing against the Pacers with Foster, Hans, and Varejao tuffness?
    I know that you'd love to get SideShow Bob....but despite the assumption that the Cavs are rebuilding, SideShow Bob...is owed roughly $36+ mil over the next 4 seasons....which IMHO...is a fairly good price for a Startinq quality Center. IMHO....he's a good piece to have as a foundation for a rebuilding Team like the Cavs.

    Ignoring that....if he could be had....how much would you be willing to give up to get him?

    I'd think that it would minimally cost a 1st+TPE+Prospect to get him....IMHO...he's not going to be had for mere capspace and I doubt that adding a 1st round pick would make much of a difference.

    I'm not disagreeing with you that he's a great Player to have...I'm just saying that I think that he will come at a cost that we may not want to pay.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  20. #18

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that you'd love to get SideShow Bob....but despite the assumption that the Cavs are rebuilding, SideShow Bob...is owed roughly $36+ mil over the next 4 seasons....which IMHO...is a fairly good price for a Startinq quality Center. IMHO....he's a good piece to have as a foundation for a rebuilding Team like the Cavs.

    Ignoring that....if he could be had....how much would you be willing to give up to get him?

    I'd think that it would minimally cost a 1st+TPE+Prospect to get him....IMHO...he's not going to be had for mere capspace and I doubt that adding a 1st round pick would make much of a difference.

    I'm not disagreeing with you that he's a great Player to have...I'm just saying that I think that he will come at a cost that we may not want to pay.


    Varejao's 4th year is either a TO or not guaranteed. Which makes his contract even better.

    They just drafted PF Tristan Thompson, so my feeling is a combo of a young player (Rush or Stephenson), 1st, and Cap. They are in a rebuilding mode., so who knows.

  21. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,095

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    I can live with Nene at 14, or if Chandler has set the market for Nene with his 58 mil contract, then I could live with that which would average 14.5.
    If we land Nene or anyone else I hope we front load the contract. It isn't a big difference from my understanding. A 58 mil contract front loaded would start at 15.4 and go down to 13.5. At least it gives us a little more cap room at the end. At some point we have to draw the line. I think teams overpaying now will be at our mercy in a few years if we can stomach being patient. I think NJ's plan is a flawed one under the new cba.

  22. #20
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    He's a game changer because of what his presence does to the rest of our team. He makes us much bigger, he gives us a much needed big, strong, athletic finisher at the 4, he gives us two strong options at the C spot. That would have a DRAMATIC effect on this team, IMO.

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  24. #21

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a game changer because of what his presence does to the rest of our team. He makes us much bigger, he gives us a much needed big, strong, athletic finisher at the 4, he gives us two strong options at the C spot. That would have a DRAMATIC effect on this team, IMO.

    I here ya, but I just can't see 17 mil or more to get him. Unless the 4th year is a Team Option, which I highly doubt he'd be willing to do. It's a hard tuff decision, and one I'm glad I don't have to be the one to make.

  25. #22

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    The Pacers have until March the 15th to find the right pieces to the puzzle. Getting caught up in the heat of a bidding war isn't prudent way to do things IMO.

    What is the date that you can trade a signed FA this year?

  26. #23

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers have until March the 15th to find the right pieces to the puzzle. Getting caught up in the heat of a bidding war isn't prudent way to do things IMO.

    What is the date that you can trade a signed FA this year?
    This is crucial. If it were before March 15, the amnesty player strategy would be the best way for us to collect assets, IMO.

  27. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is crucial. If it were before March 15, the amnesty player strategy would be the best way for us to collect assets, IMO.
    But are those amnesty players really going to help you to win anything? they are getting amnesty for a reason, they could be nice additions if you want to complement the players you have but they shouldn't be "the additions".

  28. #25

    Default Re: Should we overpay for Nene?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a game changer because of what his presence does to the rest of our team. He makes us much bigger, he gives us a much needed big, strong, athletic finisher at the 4, he gives us two strong options at the C spot. That would have a DRAMATIC effect on this team, IMO.
    I think a lot of his talent gets minimized until we gt a true point guard that can deliver the ball in transition or set up easy buckets in half court. For example, Josh is an amazing finisher who will look much, much better on the Lakers (if they get Paul) or Grizzlies.

    The opposite will happen here. Nene is not a shot creator and Karl's offense was designed effectively to maximize Nene's strengths.

    I hope we get him because he appears to be the best available piece, but I think his production will drop without someone like Rondo here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •