Thread: 'Overpaying' for Nene

Default 'Overpaying' for Nene

Newbie post and all that, but Kravitz and lots of others think it was obvious we didn't want to overpay for Nene (to the extent that's the only reason he won't be a Pacer). That may well be true, but why exactly is that?

It sounds like Nene may have been exactly the player that could make a meaningful difference for the Pacers, no? Most of the other names being discussed are marginal starters that likely wouldn't make the same kind of impact for this Pacers team, no?

What exactly is the goal? Having a marginal playoff team for the indefinite future with flexibility for if and when a cost-efficient deal comes around this year or next or the year after? If so, and that deal comes along down the road, how good would we expect to be? Better than the current squad plus Nene?

Pacers fans will probably rally around a team that now includes Hill and should be fun to watch, but if they never find the deal, how much fun will it really be?

It's hardly over this year, and maybe next year is nearly as good a time as now, but I'm just wondering out loud if it's really overpaying IF it 'merely' means bench strength might suffer and IF the Pacers might be a top 4 team in the East with him. But I'm sure everyone here has a clearer picture of how NBA finances work and why overpaying or Nene was impractical (or why Nene just wasn't the right guy).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thyrsis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 'Overpaying' for Nene

Not sure why your message is being ignored, but I understand where you're coming from.

People here at PD have strong opinions about players and you will find some regulars for whom no one is a good enough. Some people act like it would be a crime to add, for example, Crawford unless we get him for pennies on the dollar. A lot of PD regulars know a lot about the NBA and I steer clear of disrespecting them.

I always scratch my head a little about the guys who are always talking about salaries and cap and so forth. I am a long time and ardent fan, but its not my money and so I don't worry myself with what the right salary is for a certain guy. If TPTB want to pay a guy X mil/yr, so be it. My interest is always in whether or not a guy seems like he can improve the team and produce for us.

I'm with you on Nene. I think he'd be super helpful. And it looks like the Nets are dragging their feet about signing him while they wait to see if they can get Howard instead. Maybe that will backfire on them and work out well for the Pacers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Banta For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 'Overpaying' for Nene

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure why your message is being ignored, but I understand where you're coming from.
    I for one didn't initially comment because we have been having discussions about this same subject in just about every other thread. Also, there is another thread with a very similar subject and people have been posting there instead, probably because it has a poll (aka shiny thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of PD regulars know a lot about the NBA and I steer clear of disrespecting them.
    Don't be intimated to post your opinion just because some people may seem to know more about the NBA than you. No one is going to take it as a sign of disrespect if you disagree with them. If you don't quite understand someone's reasoning, just ask for an explanation. People would be very willing to explain something if you don't quite understand it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to D0NT SH0OT ME For This Useful Post: