Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

Sports Logo

Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

Well, like I already suggested on another thread, sign Crawford if we can (and try to not overpay him), have George Hill and Crawford to run our offense together, trade Collison and a first round pick to Utah for Millsap.

If we do not end up with Crawford, then I don't know what other options we're going to have until... the trade deadline.
    In my opinion we're probably not going to be in any major trades any time soon. Maybe a S&T with Memphis/Atlanta over Crawford/Gasol, but since training camps already started then I doubt we're going to hear any new trade rumors.
    I just hope we're going to do something, because without adding new pieces we might find our way out of the playoffs (something most people here won't agree with, but just look at the new east, getting the 8th seed won't be as easy as last year)

If Stern is insisting that the Hornets get younger cheaper talent, I wonder if we could jump into the CP3 CF and land Scola for Hansbrough and Rush.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, like I already suggested on another thread, sign Crawford if we can (and try to not overpay him), have George Hill and Crawford to run our offense together, trade Collison and a first round pick to Utah for Millsap.

If we do not end up with Crawford, then I don't know what other options we're going to have until... the trade deadline.
    In my opinion we're probably not going to be in any major trades any time soon. Maybe a S&T with Memphis/Atlanta over Crawford/Gasol, but since training camps already started then I doubt we're going to hear any new trade rumors.
    I just hope we're going to do something, because without adding new pieces we might find our way out of the playoffs (something most people here won't agree with, but just look at the new east, getting the 8th seed won't be as easy as last year)
    what drastic change has happened in the east that ur talking about that will make the pacers miss the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    what drastic change has happened in the east that ur talking about that will make the pacers miss the playoffs?
    With Nene or Howard - and it looks like they'll have one of those guys - New Jersey is better than the Pacers. None of the 7 playoff teams that finished ahead of the Pacers last year have gotten worse. Until Orlando trades Howard, Indy and Philly are the 8th and 9th best teams in the East in some order.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    If you wanna break this down...

Top 5, not in this order:
    Chicago, Boston, Miami, Atlanta, New York

6th seed: Orlando (unless they trade Howard and recieve only young talent/picks)

7th-8th seeds: Competition between us, Philly, Nets, Bucks.
    Bucks are probably inferior. Philly are at least as good as us. Nets will probably land Nene which will make them at least as good as us as well.

After Nene there isn't a free agent that I'd like us to pursue.
    I've brought this up on other threads and most don't like it, but I hope we go for Kaman. I'd trust the front office not to do this if he weren't healthy enough to play this season. Kaman is 1 year removed from the all star team and when you look at his 09/10 season he's a far better scoring and rebounding option then Nene. He's the same age as Nene and should come at the right price. He isn't as athletic as Nene but I think he could start with Hibbert and with proper rotation mgmt. they'd only play together 12-15 min. per game. Kaman is a true inside player and we'd dominate in the paint with he and Hibbert and Hans. as our primary front court rotation. With only 1 year left on his contract it's a low risk move that in a best case scenerio gives us the advantage to re-sign him if he's heathy and has another all star level season. If not and he's a bust then his salary comes off the books next year and we're players in the next free agent market.

I am going to throw this out there because its crazy and I am too tired to care anymore about this fantasy that we will get a decent player off of a salary strapped team.

Since Boston inks David West KG is up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    It's a long shot, but I have heard that Joe Johnson and David Lee may become free agent's via amnesty. On the other hand, it worries me. It worries me because many amnesty players will use the comfort of bloated contracts to accept smaller ones on super-teams. One thing is for certain, we will not be the only team with this strategy in mind.

I believe the new CBA addresses the issue of super teams over the cap or LT with getting amnesty players.

I know this name was mentioned in the past and hasn't really been mentioned lately, but since Crawford has been mentioned

what about Jason Richardson?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

All the super teams are over the cap, thus they can't get an amnesty player unless no team under the cap bids on the player.

If 2 teams have the same winning bid, who gets the player?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    If Stern is insisting that the Hornets get younger cheaper talent, I wonder if we could jump into the CP3 CF and land Scola for Hansbrough and Rush.
    I'm surprised more aren't talking about this.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

David Aldridge

The trade may or may not ultimately involve the Houston Rockets, who were part of the initial version of the three-team deal, which was vetoed by NBA Commissioner David Stern Thursday night. In that version, the Hornets would send Paul, a four-time All-Star, to the Lakers. The Lakers would send forward Pau Gasol to Houston, and send forward Lamar Odom to New Orleans. The Hornets would receive forward Luis Scola, guards Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick from Houston. But now, the deal could involve more or different teams that can provide the Hornets with the combination of young players and additional Draft picks that the league is seeking for Paul.
    We should be getting in on this, Scola would be a great pickup. We could certainly get it done, Even if it cost us Hansbrough and a 1st.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Banned

Cool Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post

David Aldridge

We should be getting in on this, Scola would be a great pickup. We could certainly get it done, Even if it cost us Hansbrough and a 1st.

Won't happen. Larry's not wise enough to make the tough decisions. Bird MUST be fired! Admit it!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ckill View Post
    Won't happen. Larry's not wise enough to make the tough decisions. Bird MUST be fired! Admit it!
    aaronb, stop making extra accounts please.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post

Now the Knicks are going after JJ Barea. http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Push_For_Barea

Another player Larry could get but won't. PATHETIC! I'll still sign that BRING BACK DONNIE petition whenever you guys are ready though.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seriously, whomever it is--what a goof.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

2 things we know:

- We are well under the minimum salary and need to spend money
    - There are not many free agents out there

I think most people agree that it would be unwise to overpay for a player we don't really need, so I have two ideas that you guys might find totally ridiculous but I'll put them out there...

1. Can we resign some of our current players (e.g. re do the contract of Hibbert, Granger and other core pieces) and front load their contracts to this season so we can make the minimum, and create more money for next season's FA market? I like this idea because I think it would make our current core pieces very happy and might help us keep them down the track.

2. Do we offer a couple of big 1 year contracts to FAs/RFAs so we make the minimum but don't screw our cap for the future? I don't like this idea as much because they'll likely walk after 1 season but at least we don't tie up our cap for years to come.

Anyway, just some thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post

David Aldridge

Man, Scola would be an awesome pickup. Wow.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ckill View Post
    Now the Knicks are going after JJ Barea. http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Push_For_Barea

Another player Larry could get but won't. PATHETIC! I'll still sign that BRING BACK DONNIE petition whenever you guys are ready though.

If Bird misses out on JJ Barea, who gives a ................................. CARE! Geez, you sound like a scratchy broken record.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

You may be on to something there.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Time to revisit this, I think. Who's our next target?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This year or next year?

I will take some Josh Smith...

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Evedently, only those willing to have Rush shoved down their throats.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

So far Turiaf, Odom, Fernandez and Brewer were dumped for basically nothing. I think the team should have had interest in all of them. I wonder if GMs just call up the first team with capspace they can think of and do the deal without letting the rest of the league auction for the players.

Anyway, I hope the FO stick to the plan and eventually get someone good. They should not be shy to trade a first rounder which could potentially be quite low given the team's improvement.

It's been mentioned already in another thread, but given Portland's apparent decision to rebuild, I'd be in favor of acquiring Gerald Wallace for B Rush (or D Jones) and a #1. Not multiple #1s, but this year's #1. If he signs his player option next summer, we'd have him for two years. Note that many of the players in the upcoming draft are Freshmen and Sophomores, so they won't be contributing much to our competitiveness over the next few years. In turn, acquiring Wallace would make us near bullet-proof everywhere except at backup center (our remaining need).