Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Like many of us, I was uncomfortable with the talk of the Pacers being major players in the free agent market. That's an easy way to overpay... We don't want to pull a Detroit. Instead, the hope was that we'd build a team the way Dumars built his winner: by enabling smart trades between other teams, by taking on players that teams needed to give away, and so on.

    I liked the idea of getting Nene, but I'm glad we didn't match Jersey's bid. I'm uninterested in spending 6mil on Landry or 8mil on Crawford. I'd much rather see us put in low bids on amnestied players like Jefferson and Billups (or Brand?), or pursue players that teams can't afford to keep (Millsap).

    I've not been doing a good job keeping up with the NBA landscape over the past six months, though. What other players are an option in this kind of scenario?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member pacers101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    I like this thread a lot actually. Everybody can come here and suggest players that we could REASONABLY acquire through trades. I was afraid we would overpay for someone in FA that wasnt worth it as well but it looks like thats not going to happen so thats good.
    The two guys that come to mind for me are Millsap and Josh Smith. Millsap because Utah has too many PF's and they are going to deal one I would think. Josh Smith because if Atlanta struggles out of the gate I could see them looking to deal him to save money and we'll be one of the few teams that could realistically offer them a deal where they wouldnt have to take on very much salary. Ill try to come up with more guys I like but I think it would be great to see what kind of list we could come up with as a whole.

  4. #3
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    I think that is a better route to go than spending the money on this FA group... But it is to early yet to know who is going to be available on the cheap via a trade...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,154

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    All I can think of are the obvious ones. It has been mentioned that NY is looking for a taker for Turiaf, and the Pacers could always try to revisit the Mayo trade.

    Between those two and the ones pacers101 mentioned, that would add a bunch of depth to the team.


    If you leave out Smith, adding the other three could be done for about $14M. Milsap, Mayo and Turiaf for that total $ amount would not be bad.
    Last edited by Tom White; 12-09-2011 at 10:00 PM.

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,077

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Turiaf went to the Wizards

    Millsap
    Josh Smith
    Varejao

    I still like AK47 for 4-5M

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,077

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Marc Berman: According to source, #Knicks finalizing trade for Ronny Turiaf to Wizards tnt which will create enough cap space to make Chandler official. 1 minute ago

    Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1g65HGMak

  9. #7
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    It's a long shot, but I have heard that Joe Johnson and David Lee may become free agent's via amnesty. On the other hand, it worries me. It worries me because many amnesty players will use the comfort of bloated contracts to accept smaller ones on super-teams. One thing is for certain, we will not be the only team with this strategy in mind.

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,154

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Turiaf went to the Wizards
    Really? Darn! A guy can't even make a quick trip to the bathroom without missing something.

    Wait a minute, that really just sounded wrong.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    MVP HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,550
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    I want in on the Paul Millsap action. That would be a nice addition imo.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM


  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    The Magic and Celtics swapped Glen Davis and Brandon Bass.

    All the big men are moving, but not here.

  15. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Nene could be nice but we would have to send at least a pick and young player, maybe Tyler+pick?

    Mayo could be had for nothing.

  16. #12
    Member pacers101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Another guy that comes to mind is Kaman from the Clippers. I believe hes in the last year of his contract that pays him around 12 Million. If the Clips resign Deandre Jordan they are going to be looking to move him for sure. We could help them save money in a deal with our current situation so we would be an attractive trade partner for them. We could see how him and Hibbert work together. It kind of seems like an odd pairing but who knows. Kaman was actually very good a couple years back before he had some injury issues.
    If its not a good pairing then who cares we dont resign him but him and his 12 million comes off the books and were even further under the cap in summer 2012 than we would have been.

  17. #13

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mayo could be had for nothing.
    I was just thinking that the Pacers might be looking into him again if it is true that Jamal Crawford goes to Chicago.

    I think the Grizzles want to move him and i'm not for sure who all is seriously interested in him.

    The only potential issue I see is that with George Hill now here Hill and Mayo would likely cut into Paul George's minutes. Unless the Pacers move Collison and start Hill at the point...? I know a lot say Hill is not best at PG but just throwing out a thought.

  18. #14
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,990

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a long shot, but I have heard that Joe Johnson and David Lee may become free agent's via amnesty. On the other hand, it worries me. It worries me because many amnesty players will use the comfort of bloated contracts to accept smaller ones on super-teams. One thing is for certain, we will not be the only team with this strategy in mind.
    All the super teams are over the cap, thus they can't get an amnesty player unless no team under the cap bids on the player. Where did you hear that about David Lee?
    Last edited by Will Galen; 12-09-2011 at 10:25 PM.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,671
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    lol, this was the weirdest roller coaster ever, started on a big high, thinking we might have NeNe and Rondo, ended up getting Jeff P., I can only imagine what the season holds for us, lol
    Why so SERIOUS

  21. #16
    Member IndySDExport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a long shot, but I have heard that Joe Johnson and David Lee may become free agent's via amnesty. On the other hand, it worries me. It worries me because many amnesty players will use the comfort of bloated contracts to accept smaller ones on super-teams. One thing is for certain, we will not be the only team with this strategy in mind.
    Only if said super-team is below the cap. Then it's a bidding war.

    Does any one know how many teams will get priority for bidding on amnesty contracts with the current cap?

  22. #17

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Lee and Johnson will not be amnestied. You only amnesty a guy when you are ateam like Orlando......ready to spend as much as it takes to win. Atlant awould still have to pay Johnson $100mm ............y would they pay that for him to play for someone else ?? They dont have any money to sign anyone else anyway regardless of cap situation.

    I'm thinking a player like Jason Thompson makes sense for the frontcourt.

    Mayo is an obvious choice as is Jamal Crawford......Pacers may be waiting him out to lower his price tag to something like $32mm for 4 yrs or $25 for 3.

    I'm also inclined to think we should at least be dialing NO and asking about Lamar Odom since that deal looks to be on again.

    Ive never understood any rationale that has Utah trading Milsap now that his contract is finally reasonable............they dont need cap space and arent close to luxury tax..............and sure as he## dont need Brandon Rush and a draft pick.

    So i'll guess that its Rush and a lotto protected #1 for Thompson over a DC/Rush and lotto protected #1 for Odom. And then, either Crawford or Mayo for the backcourt with a slight lean towards Crawford.

    Not sexy by any means but solid and it keeps us positioned well financially going forward.

  23. #18

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    For those thinking Millsap, who do you trade for him?

    The Jazz organization is known for being extremely cautious -- and though they do have four power forwards, I don't have the impression that the Jazz have internally settled the question of who they want to keep, and who they want to trade. Perhaps they'll have a better idea after training camp.

    My personal impression, based on nothing more than my sense of things as a Jazz fan, is that the Jazz would expect a lot more back for Millsap than Rush and a pick. I would love to see him on the Pacers...

    But the Jazz need a true SF, and would like a better (distributing) PG. They don't need centers, power forwards, or shooting guards. I don't think anyone the Pacers would be willing to trade would actually upgrade the Jazz at any position.

    I suspect in order to get Millsap the Pacers would have to offer one of their core guys -- DC or GH (who might help them at point), or PG or DG (who might help them at small forward), or Hibbert (mainly because you don't turn down the chance for talented, skilled 7 footers entering their prime...)

    I'd love to see him on the Pacers. But the more I think about it, the less likely it seems.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mono For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Mono View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those thinking Millsap, who do you trade for him?
    As little as it takes.
    Cap space, picks, no core pieces.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  26. #20

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As little as it takes.
    Cap space, picks, no core pieces.
    Why would the Jazz do that?

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mono For This Useful Post:


  28. #21
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,126

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Mono View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those thinking Millsap, who do you trade for him?

    ...

    I'd love to see him on the Pacers. But the more I think about it, the less likely it seems.
    I hate that you're right. None of our current guys makes sense.

    What about a sign-and-trade? Would the Jazz have any interest in a guy like Crawford? But then again, Crawford doesn't have any interest in Utah, at least according to reports. (I'm a better fan than I am a GM)
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 12-10-2011 at 01:27 AM.

  29. #22

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate that you're right. None of our current guys makes sense.

    What about a sign-and-trade? Would the Jazz have any interest in a guy like Crawford? But then again, Crawford doesn't have any interest in Utah, at least according to reports. (I'm a better fan than I am a GM)
    I honestly don't know. Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor is notoriously tight-lipped. He recently said in a radio interview that he wanted an "athletic shooter" ...

    That's about as much as I know about what the Jazz are actually thinking.

  30. #23

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate that you're right. None of our current guys makes sense.

    What about a sign-and-trade? Would the Jazz have any interest in a guy like Crawford? But then again, Crawford doesn't have any interest in Utah, at least according to reports. (I'm a better fan than I am a GM)
    From my understanding, you can't sign and trade a player that isn't currently on your roster. You have to wait 3 months after signing him.

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pezasied182 For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,254

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nene could be nice but we would have to send at least a pick and young player, maybe Tyler+pick?

    Mayo could be had for nothing.
    What makes you say that?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  34. #25
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: Cap Space Plan A: getting players from other teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just thinking that the Pacers might be looking into him again if it is true that Jamal Crawford goes to Chicago.

    I think the Grizzles want to move him and i'm not for sure who all is seriously interested in him.

    The only potential issue I see is that with George Hill now here Hill and Mayo would likely cut into Paul George's minutes. Unless the Pacers move Collison and start Hill at the point...? I know a lot say Hill is not best at PG but just throwing out a thought.
    True. On the other hand accumulating assets makes it easier to pull off trades in the future aswell. So, I wouldn't worry too much IF we were to somehow add Mayo in our current backcourt.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Similar Threads

  1. The new CBA explained
    By wintermute in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
  3. CBA 101
    By Young in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 10:54 PM
  4. NBA Image problem - what or who do you blame?
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
  5. What ails the game
    By Bat Boy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •