Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rule changes

Default New rule changes

By Ric Bucher

NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson confirmed Wednesday that several new rule interpretations will be a point of emphasis for the league's referees when the regular season begins on Dec. 25.

"Rip-through" moves, in which an offensive player swings the ball into a defender's outstretched arm and then attempts a shot once he has created contact, will be considered non-shooting fouls if the contact begins before the offensive player starts his shooting motion.

Also, on drives to the basket, a shooting foul will be called only if contact occurs after the offensive player has begun his shooting motion, not after he has initiated his leap toward the basket.

"Certain types of contact involving the shooter were all being called in his favor," Jackson said. "It doesn't look good for the game. There was a strong feeling that those types of plays were creating an ill-advised reward for the shooter, often with three free throws."

The league will also make traveling in the post and on the perimeter a point of emphasis, with a player hopping off of and landing on the same foot viewed as an automatic violation. Referees will also consider locking or clamping an opponent's arm or hand under the basket while battling for a rebound and discontinued or hesitation dribbles as automatic violations.

Several rule changes will also be introduced, most to shorten the overall length of games and speed up the final minutes of a contest:

Substitutions will only be allowed before the final free throw of any trip to the line that is not for a technical or flagrant foul.

Two horns will be sounded 15 seconds apart after every timeout. Teams whose players are not moving toward the court as soon as the second horn sounds will receive a delay-of-game warning.

Instant replay will be utilized only during full timeouts, not 20-second timeouts, when necessary.

Whether a player's foot is on the three-point line or midcourt line will be determined by where it last touched the floor, meaning a player could have a toe on the three-point line but if he leans back on his heels before he releases the ball a successful shot would be deemed a three-pointer.

The eight-second backcourt violation will occur when the shot clock reaches 15 seconds, rather than 16.

The last rule is necessary because the 24-second shot clock will now be equipped to show 10ths for the final five seconds and work as a "true" clock. From a technical standpoint, the old shot clock began with 24.9 seconds and expired with .9 left. Now the clock will switch from 24 to 23 seconds after .1 second has expired.

Jackson said a survey of coaches determined when the shot clock would break into 10ths.

"We didn't want to run them for the whole 24 seconds and the consensus was, from a strategy standpoint, that the final five seconds were the most valuable," he said. "Before, you could have two seconds left on the shot clock but you wouldn't know if it was 2.9 or 2.1. That makes a big difference."

Referees also will be hyper-vigilant about defenders making contact with offensive players when they're in the air and fully extended attempting to score. In most cases, expect that kind of foul to draw a Flagrant Level 2, which is two free throws, possession of the ball and the defender being ejected.

"That type of contact was a trend last season and it's really dangerous," Jackson said.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/73...-fouls-2011-12

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: New rule changes

I like how every year they have to mention that they're really going to look hard at traveling. Good luck with that.

Does this mean the end of continuation as we know it, if enforced?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

I LOVE this change. I'm tired of seeing Dwade get fouled, and then make a move to the basket and they call it a continuation and put him on the line. Half the time he's not even in the act of shooting.

I'm also tired of the rip thru move leading to free throws. The shots the guys throw up are wild and out of control and obviously not a real shot attempt. They know they're going to the line. I think this will allow guys to play real defense a little better.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From this article it appears so. Which I do not know what to think of that. The Duncan initiate a foul by raising his arms into a defender should not be a shooting foul.

It all depends on whether they call a jump stop or drop step a continuation.

SO does this end the jump in the air get fouled and throw it up real quick BS?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Also, on drives to the basket, a shooting foul will be called only if contact occurs after the offensive player has begun his shooting motion, not after he has initiated his leap toward the basket.
    There's something wrong in how they're reporting this. How could this be? If you foul a player attacking the rim soon enough it's not a foul? Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    There's something wrong in how they're reporting this. How could this be? If you foul a player attacking the rim soon enough it's not a foul? Makes no sense.
    It'll still be a foul, just not a shooting foul as we see all the time with certain superstars.

Of course, the operative word is IF it gets enforced. Color me skeptical.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Also, i think the 'rip-through' ruling affects Danny. He went to that quite a bit imo.

Durant feasted on it as well.

Jeff would have never made it through a playoff game. I like the rip through call for free throws. Cheap offense.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Yeah, it would just count as a regular foul and they would inbound the ball. To me this rule change is a roundabout way of saying, "We've been calling shooting fouls wrong and its blatantly obvious to observers. We'll starting doing it right again because its embarrassing."

They'll enforce it for the first few weeks of the season and then forget about it entirely. Or at least the rule won't apply to superstars.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It sounds like on the drive you have to be in the act of shooting to set the shooting foul, not drive in, bounce off the guy and then put up the shot. I believe this will be easier to call than one thinks and a lot of players are going to be unhappy. Now if they will just stop calling the foul on the guy that doesn't initiate the contact or gains no advantage through the contact then most of those wouldn't occure in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    I like how every year they have to mention that they're really going to look hard at traveling. Good luck with that.

just a guess, but in this case, yes.

or maybe some kind of 'make the shot then continueation'/'miss the shot then non-shooting' hybrid rule. reward the legit shots and not balls just thrown at the basket to get the FT.

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    . . . I'm also tired of the rip thru move leading to free throws. The shots the guys throw up are wild and out of control and obviously not a real shot attempt. They know they're going to the line. I think this will allow guys to play real defense a little better.
    this is a needed rule. the rip foul was really being abused. let the defenders defend. the NBA is a grown mans game and the players should be allowed to play.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

I like the parts that seem to allow players to defend more easily. However, the enforcement changes of many of these rules will likely prove difficult to implement, especially if superstars are suddenly hindered and their scoring drops, especially on the typical driving rip-throughs that they seem to be emphasizing. That could take a lot of penetration moves out of the game due to the risk / reward change for those drives.

As usual, we will see how it actually plays out, and how long it actually lasts. My guess is that it will last about as long as the synthetic ball experiment did a few years ago.

The offensive player is still going to get the fould call but just not cheap free throws. Its not like they stated they were going to quit calling the mysterious "your jersey brushed his on the drive so you fouled him" or incidental contact calls. D=Wade will still get the call on the contact, just not the continuation while falling down. Kind of like high school and most college games are called.

As for the rip through foul, that is just a wrong call anyway. That the offensive player can violate the defensive player's established postion and be rewarded is all kinds of wrong. I believe if the player does that and loses the ball then it becomes a lose ball free to whomever gets it or at worst and offensive fouls since the offensive player is creating the contact. Unless there is a rule that the defender cannot extend their arms into the space between the ofensive and defensive players without touching the offensive player then the offense should not gain an advantage.
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 12-08-2011 at 10:37 AM.

The biggest adjustment for the players with this continuation rule will be determining now when they should scream out "And one!".

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Kevin Martin and Corey Maggette are not pleased

Wow, much more strict on shooting fouls... Should be interesting.. Will probably be frustrating at times because if the player is fouled as hes going up to shoot, we are used to it being a big momentum gainer, as an "And-1" play, which now will be a non shooting foul, basket doesn't count. Looking forward to it tho.

Its a great thing in my opinion, just think how many and 1's Derrick Rose was able to collect last year against us in the season and playoffs.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

So if an offensive player does a rip through and scores he will get two points and a foul against the defender but no extra shot.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    So if an offensive player does a rip through and scores he will get two points and a foul against the defender but no extra shot.
    If you're not getting FT's, then the shot doesn't count. It's not an actual shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Wow, much more strict on shooting fouls... Should be interesting.. Will probably be frustrating at times because if the player is fouled as hes going up to shoot, we are used to it being a big momentum gainer, as an "And-1" play, which now will be a non shooting foul, basket doesn't count. Looking forward to it tho.
    The bucket does not count? That does not seem right.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    The bucket does not count? That does not seem right.
    Ya they are now gonna call it as the foul happend right HERE.. Guy was not in "shooting motion" yet.. No shot got off at that point, dead ball, inbound it..

That's how its gonna be now if they call it right.
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 12-08-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Cant spell :)

Rip-through" moves, in which an offensive player swings the ball into a defender's outstretched arm and then attempts a shot once he has created contact, will be considered non-shooting fouls if the contact begins before the offensive player starts his shooting motion.

It does not say if the shot is made it does not count. It does say it is a non shooting foul. It does not say it is not a shot.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Non shooting fouls involve no shot attempt. Since when is a shot not a shot. No free throw should be penalty enough against the offensive player after a rip through basket.
    If that is not correct then I definitely don't like the rule. It will be way too hard to interpret that rule.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-