Thread: 2012 Chicago Cubs Baseball thread

Default 2012 Chicago Cubs Baseball thread

F it, I'm hyped. Let's do this. I don't want to see the Cubs trade Garza, but if they turn Garza into Jurickson Profar, Martin Perez and Mike Olt or Scott Feldman........Nice knowing you Matty!

I'll go wash Theo's underwear all year if that happens.
    Last edited by Foul on Smits; 12-08-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 Chicago Cubs Baseball thread

We are gonna suck regardless next year I would trade him while we still can. He hits free agency in a few years and it looks like CJ Wilson will get a 6 year deal I cant imagine what Garza will get I would trade him if I was the GM as well.

Mood

I love what we are doing this off season getting Rizzo was awesome he was my #1 target. The 2 spects we got from the Reds look to be solid Ronald Torreyes has some serious upside. My favorite move is getting rid of Z I didnt want to ever see him play for us agin after quitting on us last year.

We are gonna suck for a few years but we are building a solid foundation

trade Garza (only for the right package like Jacob Turner and a few others from Detroit) Dempster and Byrd and call it an off season

but I really like the way we are heading Theo has made a few great trades I think we won the Cincinnati trade and the Padres one for sure.

The Reds got a hell of a pitcher though Marshall is the 2nd best lefty reliever in baseball. But we weren't gonna over pay him and we have no use for him since we are rebuilding.

I will be going to more games this year we may suck but watching the kids grow and play hard will be better than watching Z throw a fit.

Rizzo and Brett Jackson are starting in Iowa to give us an extra year of control.

I'm guessing 71-91. A very promising 91 losses. Hopefully they trade Byrd to a contender at the deadline and get a prospect or two and then call up Jackson to take his spot.

I'm all for leaving Rizzo in Trip A. What's the point of bringing him up? I like Lahair and want to get a years look at him. If Lahair turns out to be a player, he can play outfield or maybe learn 3rd next year.

71-91

Marlon Byrd and Matt Garza shipped at the deadline.

I can't think of a more appropriate way to start a Cubs season...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I missed yesterdays game, of course as I am a Nats fan I was glad to see the Nats come back and eek it out. Looking forward to getting a first look at you guys and of course my Nats today.

Matty Ice dealing smoke to start the season

Where's pacer4ever? I can't be the only Cubbie fan left.

I hope The Shark stays clean today and ruins the Cards ring celebration.

Game is on WGN.

Mood

The Cubs stink this year, but at least we can still beat the Cards!

Mood

Not a Cubs fan, but this team looks really meh for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

Hey, Foul on Smits (I love that name!). Long, long time Cubs fan here.

So far, the starting pitching is acceptable, a few of the position players are hitting OK. The rest is junk. I am hoping Soriano keeps it up and the Cubs can unload him finally to a contender.

Best case and most realistically hopeful prediction from me this year is a .500 season. OK for a rebuilding season I guess but THIS IS N0T THE YEAR FOR THE CUBS.

Once again.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm guessing 71-91. A very promising 91 losses. Hopefully they trade Byrd to a contender at the deadline and get a prospect or two and then call up Jackson to take his spot.

I'm all for leaving Rizzo in Trip A. What's the point of bringing him up? I like Lahair and want to get a years look at him. If Lahair turns out to be a player, he can play outfield or maybe learn 3rd next year.

71-91

Marlon Byrd and Matt Garza shipped at the deadline.
    Wow, you are even more doom and gloom than I am! I am hoping for .500, although not likely it is a nice dream!

Cubs need to let Marmol, Byrd, and Soriano go and get some developing players in return. Maybe Garza too. Soriano is marketable RIGHT NOW, while he is hitting.

The Phillies will have nightmares about Tony Campana after this series.

I really like this Cubs team. Except Stewart, Soto and Soriano.

Good story on Adam Greenberg. I think this is happening tonight. Hopefully one of those crazy knuckleballs doesn't hit him. I wonder if he is starting?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?hpt=hp_t3

Quote Originally Posted by si.com
    On July 9, 2005, Adam Greenberg stepped into the batter's box at Dolphins Stadium for his first major league at-bat. Greenberg, then 24, had been a promising prospect for the Cubs ever since they had selected him in the ninth-round of the 2002 draft out of North Carolina three years earlier. He rose steadily through Chicago's minor league system and was batting .269 with a .386 on-base percentage and 15 steals in 19 attempts at Double-A West Tennessee when he was promoted to the parent club.

He came to the plate as a pinch-hitter with one out in the top of the ninth and the Cubs leading 4-2. The first pitch from Florida's Valerio de los Santos was a high fastball that smashed into Greenberg's helmet and made contact with his skull. Greenberg walked off the field under his own power but had no way of knowing that he had suffered a concussion or that he had just faced his only major league pitch.

Until tonight. More than seven years after that one-pitch at-bat that earned him a rare place in baseball history as the only player to be hit by the only pitch he ever saw in the major leagues, Greenberg was signed to a one-day contract by the Marlins last week. The team announced it will get him into tonight's game against the New York Mets at Marlins Park. Greenberg, now 31, tells his story in his own words.

The only time I think abut the at-bat is when people ask me questions. I dismissed it a long time ago based on having to live it and deal with it in order to get over it. I wanted to get back on the field and get back to playing. It was really important to me that I not accept "Oh well, poor me." I always used it as fire, just like when I was just a little kid and I had that fire to reach the majors. I never really got to live my dream in playing in the major leagues. So I used it as fuel to keep that fire burning.

I never really felt like I wasn't going to make it back. That was what enabled me to keep going.
    continued at link.

EDIT: Leave it to Ozzie to be kind of a dick about it:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...iddle-of-game/

Guillen said Greenberg likely would be lifted after the at-bat and he wasn’t sure if Greenberg would even run the bases.

“They told me to give him one at-bat. That’s what they want,” he said.

Guillen also said he will manage the game like he does any other game — to win. That’s why he said Greenberg likely would be used without the game on the line.

“I’m not going to pinch hit him for the pitcher just because,” he said.

“If I need a base hit to take the lead or something then I will figure it out another inning. I’m going to manage my game to win the game. I will figure out how to play him but if the game is on the line, I’m going to manage it to win one game.”
    Last edited by dal9; 10-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Yah. I love that the Cubs couldnt bring this guy back for a good story. I guess Josh Vitters cant afford to lose that 1 at-bat. I guess Brett Jackson is going after the batting title or something.

seriously...

If "Jeff Samardzjia is opening day starter" doesn't scream "This is the year we finally win the World Series" I don't know what does!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...miss-all-april

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    If "Jeff Samardzjia is opening day starter" doesn't scream "This is the year we finally win the World Series" I don't know what does!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...miss-all-april
    F MY LIFE!

Gunna make the 2013 thread.. brb.