Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water on TV

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Water on TV

So just about an hour or so ago I carelessly sat my glass of water on the table only for it to fall off the table, hit the carpet, and send a projectile of water drops right on to our nice four month old LED LG television. I immediately gently wiped it off with a t-shirt and thought all was fine at first. But now the screen has a series of wide lines going through it and the picture is all distorted. Is there anything I can do or am I SOL? I'm so ticked at myself right now. I can't believe this just happened.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Water on TV

Did the water enter the tv somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the water enter the tv somehow?

I guess so. It really wasn't that much water, just a series of drops. I compulsively went over it with a t-shirt and thought I got every last one of them. I guess some of them somehow entered it at the moment of impact.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Book answer is to turn it off, set it near a heater or in the sunlight and let it dry internally a couple of days (depending on amount of water), then retry. Water on active electronic components is a bad thing.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Book answer is to turn it off, set it near a heater or in the sunlight and let it dry internally a couple of days (depending on amount of water), then retry. Water on active electronic components is a bad thing.

Alright, thanks. I've unplugged it and have some fans blowing nearby. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm afraid I ruined it.

If it was just a drop or two of water getting in it then it's going to dry fairly quickly. You'll know within the hour if any problems are because the water shorted something and caused something to cook or because you created a short that caused a temporary problem that will clear when the short is gone (AKA when the water has dried).

Anytime water gets into something the first action should be to kill power to it by unplugging it. Not the on/off switch.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Well, I just plugged it back in and tried turning it on and it literally has no picture. Looks to be completely fried. Damn, this sucks. I never thought that spilling a glass on the floor could cause so much devastation.

You might want to Google your exact set model and see if there is any kind of reset/reboot type of routine for it. There should be a service menu and it's possible your water scrambled the settings in its memory.

Before that you might try laying your set on it's back or some other repositioning that would allow any standing water to thin and dissipate easier. I would've mentioned that last night but was assuming the amount was so small there wouldn't be any standing water to speak of.

Honestly though... if it didn't just take a bath I'd think the water would've dried by now... Sounds like you've killed your set.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    You might want to Google your exact set model and see if there is any kind of reset/reboot type of routine for it. There should be a service menu and it's possible your water scrambled the settings in its memory.

Before that you might try laying your set on it's back or some other repositioning that would allow any standing water to thin and dissipate easier. I would've mentioned that last night but was assuming the amount was so small there wouldn't be any standing water to speak of.

Honestly though... if it didn't just take a bath I'd think the water would've dried by now... Sounds like you've killed your set.

Yeah, it's still not working. I think it's completely done. Damn

I didn't think to turn it off immediately, but at the time I wasn't even contemplating water entering the TV and frying it. I guess common sense should have told me to turn it off, but I just didn't think to. I just thought that the water was limited to the screen and I was focused on getting that off. I didn't realize that the water had actually gotten into the TV. I'm just surprised that so little water completely fried this thing, but I guess it doesn't take much.

It's not often that spilling a glass of water on the ground is a $1,000 mistake.......

Mood

Four months old? I am sure you can make this look like it was a flaw with the TV. Just a few water droplets shouldn't cause this much mayhem.

I'd call LG and not mention the water and see what they can do since it's still under a year old. What else do you have to lose by doing that?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Four months old? I am sure you can make this look like it was a flaw with the TV. Just a few water droplets shouldn't cause this much mayhem.

I'd call LG and not mention the water and see what they can do since it's still under a year old. What else do you have to lose by doing that?
    I concur with this. In fact, I think it is a flaw.

(I just had an old 27in CRT TV be out of service for a month after the cat hocked a hairball into it, it sat for a month unplugged until I got the idea to try it again on Sunday. No more dead TV!)
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post

I'm definitely going to call them.

What should I say? Won't they immediately be suspicious about a four month old TV not working any more? Won't they probably ask about water or if I did something to damage it? What should I say if they ask this?

Heck, even if I could just get them to come down a few hundred dollars on a new one. Though I doubt it.

There is no way that any more than a few drops could have actually gotten into the TV. Most of them were on the screen. I know water and electronics is a deadly mix, but I'm just dumbfounded that so little water completely fried this thing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

They won't think anything about anything. You tell them you turned it off and it was working fine prior to that and the next time you turned it on it does whatever it's currently doing.

Honestly, nobody might ever look at the set other than to confirm it doesn't work and it'll just be replaced. Or they'll identify the area that the problem is in without exactly figuring out what components are bad and simply replace an entire PC board.

Nobody will ask you about the water. Likely, all traces of it are gone anyway so they'll be left to wonder why whatever failed actually failed. But they won't wonder about it long because time is money and they'll just need your set crossed off their list of things to take care of.

Most electronics fails when you turn it on... not while you are using it... so your story won't be at all strange sounding to them.

A friend was asking me about a new TV and asked me which ones weren't cheap junk. My reply was they are all cheap junk these days, some just are junk with a better picture and last longer than other junk. In the race to make these sets as cheap as possible the days of a TV being expected to last years and years is long gone. They are all disposable these days.

So IOW.... no one at the factory/service center will think a thing about your set dying so soon. A few sets in a production run dying early are just a cost of doing business these days.

------

-John Wooden

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Tell them nothing. If they ask what happened, tell them the picture started to distort, you turned of the TV, when you turned it back on, nothing.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

If you feel that in the face of all I said above someone will stay say "Why, this set has been wet... Did you spill water in it?" and you want to be prepared ....You can always say maybe it came from an open window blowing rain in.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

I wouldn't even say that. I'd just say that if there was water in there it must have come from the factory that way because it's never been wet in your house.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm definitely going to call them.

What should I say? Won't they immediately be suspicious about a four month old TV not working any more? Won't they probably ask about water or if I did something to damage it? What should I say if they ask this?

Heck, even if I could just get them to come down a few hundred dollars on a new one. Though I doubt it.

There is no way that any more than a few drops could have actually gotten into the TV. Most of them were on the screen. I know water and electronics is a deadly mix, but I'm just dumbfounded that so little water completely fried this thing.
    "While watching TV, the picture became distorted. I decided to restart the TV, but when it came back on there was no picture. I have checked the cables and nothing changed when I tried turning it on again."

If they send a tech out or RMA it and they ask if any liquid has been near it, I would tell them you have very dry air in your home and you don't allow food or beverages in the TV room.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 12-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

So just straight up lie, basically?

I talked to the Colts about your television... They said had it been the playoffs it would've played.

------

-John Wooden

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    So just straight up lie, basically?
    Only you can decide if you'd rather tell the truth and eat the cost of a new set. We're only saying what you have to say if you don't.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Only you can decide if you'd rather tell the truth and eat the cost of a new set. We're only saying what you have to say if you don't.

Yeah, I know. I appreciate the help. I'm going to give it a shot today and go with the "I don't know what happened, it just quit working" story. I'll yet you all know how it goes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the TV really did die from just "a few droplets" of water getting into it, then it was flawed to begin with and should be replaced by them regardless. That's just ridiculous.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Were you able to call them? I'm interested in how this turns out. Whether they will actually investigate the problem or just replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Were you able to call them? I'm interested in how this turns out. Whether they will actually investigate the problem or just replace it?

I've been swamped with school being that it's the end of the semester (and thus haven't even missed the TV yet) and just haven't got around to it yet. Maybe tomorrow. I know they are probably going to want to send someone to take a look at it or something and I want to be able to have time to deal with it. But once school is done it will need to be taken care of ASAP given that Pacers season is fast approaching and I need a nice TV to watch the games on.

I'll definitely let you guys know as soon as I talk to them. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and think you guys are right. A TV should not be completely fried with just how little water got on it. You all are right that I shouldn't mention the "w" word because if I do that I have no shot to get reimbursed anything. I'll see how far I can go with playing the "I don't know what the heck happened" card. There's nothing to lose.

They will not see any sign of water in it. If it was beer or Pepsi... or Jaeger... or Monster... Well... yeah... those leave obvious residue. But water will have dissipated... At best there might be some area where dust might indicate there MIGHT'VE been water at some point. But even that is debatable...

------

-John Wooden

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: