Thread: ProFootballTalk: Archie Manning doubts that Peyton and Andrew Luck want to be teammates

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb ProFootballTalk: Archie Manning doubts that Peyton and Andrew Luck want to be teammates

Archie Manning doubts that Peyton and Andrew Luck want to be teammates | ProFootballTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Florio
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton Manning has said that, by March, his future in Indianapolis will become apparent. As the Colts close in on the ability to take Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the first overall pick in the 2012 draft, Archie Manning has provided the first tangible evidence to suggest that a divorce is coming.

Specifically, Archie doesn’t believe that Peyton and Luck will want to be teammates in Indianapolis.

“I don’t think it’d necessarily be great for either one,” Archie Manning told FOX Sports Radio’s Zakk & Jack Show on Tuesday. “I think Andrew’s the type of mature player . . . he can walk right in. I mean, these other three or four guys that are playing this year, [if] they can walk in and contribute, Andrew can, too. . . .

“We know Andrew well. He comes down to our camp every year. I used to play with his dad [Oliver]. . . . I’m in New York, I heard from him last night. Peyton’s also tried to help Andrew and kind of be a friend. I doubt if either one want to play on the same team.”

It wasn’t an accident or a coincidence. It was a clear sign that, if the Colts plan to take Luck, Peyton will be looking for a path out of town. And for good reason. With the first overall pick worth more than ever this year, Peyton surely would prefer that the Colts trade the rights to Luck for players and/or draft picks who could help Peyton win more Super Bowls.

Of course, it’s also possible that Archie has advised Oliver on the procedure for making a power play, which Archie did seven years ago when Eli Manning forced his way out of San Diego. And so, if Andrew Luck makes it clear that he doesn’t want to play for the Colts, the Colts could keep Peyton.

Either way, this all needs to happen before early March, since the Colts owe Peyton another $28 million at that point. If it doesn’t, there’s a chance that the Colts end up not with both players, but with neither.

Default Re: ProFootballTalk: Archie Manning doubts that Peyton and Andrew Luck want to be teammates

Well, that certainly changes the dynamic on the idea that's Luck could sit behind Peyton a couple of years. Maybe Luck would but it sounds like the voices in Peyton's ear will be telling him he doesn't want to be starting on borrowed time. Now add the financial stuff into the mix....

It never should've came to this.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: ProFootballTalk: Archie Manning doubts that Peyton and Andrew Luck want to be teammates

Luck was interviewed last night on ESPN and once again affirmed he will be in this year's draft.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we win out it could be a moot point, I mean Minnie could end up with the pick, right?

If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We will not win out, but we should have a chance in the last 3 games, I think we really only have a shot in 2 of them if we played as good as we did last week. Houston's pass defense is brutal, their front 4 really cause QB's problems.

With that being said, I say either trade the pick to obtain first in future drafts and use later picks grabbing 2 qb's, Possibly Russell Wilson, and Kellen Moore, have them compete for the backup position, and maybe find a adequate backup for Peyton Manning and future starter. If that does not workout use one of those future first to draft a QB when Peyton is done.

I previously was on the thought pattern of only drafting Luck no matter what, but I think this QB class is fairly deep and the only good QB to come out of it, will not just be luck.

P.S. What if we followed up Peyton with Tyler Bray, lol back to back Franchise QB's from Tennessee.
    Why so SERIOUS

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I don't know. But I still have a gut feeling that Luck and Peyton will be teammates until Peyton retires.

Obviously they don't want to be teammates. Anyone who thought that Luck would be content with coming here and sitting behind Peyton for a few years was naive.

Manning idolized Dan Marino, but he wouldn't have wanted to go to Miami and sit behind him for a few years. He was good enough to play immediately on several teams and wanted that opportunity.

As to the whole "but learning behind Peyton would be very valuable to him" argument. Yeah, it would.....but it's still not as valuable as playing. Nothing is more valuable than getting actual in-game experience.

If we are confident that Peyton will recover then I want to trade this pick for some big assets and make one last run with Peyton. We could get some mega assets for that number 1 pick if we knew how to use them. I don't want to trade valuable years of a top 5-10 all time QB for a guy who has never stepped foot on a field. I would never get over seeing Peyton carve it up with a different logo on his helmet.

I really don't think we are that far off if Peyton comes back, especially if we wisely used the assets that we would get from trading the Luck pick. The New England game showed that we still have some very talented receivers if they just have a quarterback who can get them the ball If anything good has come out of this season, it's that Garcon has shown that he isn't just a product of Manning.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this plays out.......
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-06-2011 at 05:36 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Well, that certainly changes the dynamic on the idea that's Luck could sit behind Peyton a couple of years. Maybe Luck would but it sounds like the voices in Peyton's ear will be telling him he doesn't want to be starting on borrowed time. Now add the financial stuff into the mix....

It never should've came to this.

Yep but it has the irony is that Manning told Luck he should stay another year and now he might take his job. Archie isn't saying anything earth shattering he knows that Luck will want to start wherever he goes all #1s want that. Whether they get it is another story.

Putting that aside I can't believe anyone thought this would work. And before someone brings up Favre/Rodgers Favre was healthy(Manning is not) and Rodgers wasn't the #1 draft pick( he should've been and Luck probably will be )

When you're #1 and in today's NFL you start Manning did and Luck should be no different plus if he isn't getting the start he can go back to school or force his way to a team that will.

However unlike the Packers who built a complete team the Colts have an elite QB on an average team(and we're not going to get into the coaching that's a whole other post)

Even if they both wanted to be on the same team you have two QB's but we have so many holes on the team that need to be fixed defense, O-Line etc how can this team be competitive?

Manning is wanting a SB run and how can you do that when most of the $$ is tied up to the QB but not much else?

This also won't do any favors to Luck either.

And with the FO we have who's to say either of them think this team is in their best interest?

Mood

Really, I do not think that it matters much. Everyone in the NFL wants to start, that is a silly thing to say, but I will say that it will be kind of hard for Indy to pass on Luck with the uncertainty of Peyton Manning.

If Luck decides to accept the Colts drafting him he will have to make the best out of his situation and sit behind Peyton and make the best out of his overall situation.

Like I said the colts will come out good no matter what.
    Why so SERIOUS

Luck doesn't seem to me to be the kind of guy who would try to force his way to another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Really, I do not think that it matters much. Everyone in the NFL wants to start, that is a silly thing to say, but I will say that it will be kind of hard for Indy to pass on Luck with the uncertainty of Peyton Manning.

If Luck decides to accept the Colts drafting him he will have to make the best out of his situation and sit behind Peyton and make the best out of his overall situation.

Like I said the colts will come out good no matter what.

Really? (pardon the pun) the Colts will come out good no matter what?

We get two QB's but where's the rest of the team? Defense has holes, Offensive Line has holes...

Manning and Luck may be professional enough to get along but Andrew Luck will bolt if he doesn't get to play after his rookie deal is up and Manning will resent that they got a QB rather than some help that's sorely needed on this team.

(assuming this actually takes place of course)

And a large part of Manning's development had to do with Moore and Mudd as coaches..

Does Andrew Luck get that type of help as he learns this position?

I don't believe it doesn't matter much.

It matters a lot.

We'll soon find out come April

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post: