Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakers want Dwight Howard and Chris Paul | ESPN

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lakers want Dwight Howard and Chris Paul | ESPN

The more I see stuff like this the more it disheartens me.

The current generation of players is going to kill the golden goose for the generations that follow them. If things keep going this way, we will see 5 or 6 super teams in 5-6 years along with a few teams stuck in the middle and about a dozen Washington Generals. Each of the low-end teams will begin falling off the map, until eventually you have 20 teams or so.

What does that accomplish? The present generation will have found a way to throw about 150 of their own out of work. Wow, ain't the union great? Wonder what they will have to say when that happens?

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't blame Kupchak. If you're him, you have to make the call.

But I don't see Odom having that much value. Gasol, yes. Bynum, yes.

Have to get a guarantee of resigning the guys you trade for, but LA isn't a bad pill to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy for us to say that. But if Howard and Paul walk and those teams get nothing of any real value, I'm sure the fans of those two teams would think a little different about standing their ground.
    I'd rather have nothing than I would take on Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, and a first round pick in the 25-30 range or whatever combination the Lakers were to offer. I especially would not want Pau Gasol. Let the Lakers pay him nearly $60 million over the next 3 years.

So if I was a Magic or Hornets fan I would say do not trade them to the Lakers. They have nothing I would want. I wouldn't be opposed to trading them but no way would I do it for what the Lakers can offer.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Lakers want Dwight Howard and Chris Paul | ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I'd rather have nothing than I would take on Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, and a first round pick in the 25-30 range or whatever combination the Lakers were to offer. I especially would not want Pau Gasol. Let the Lakers pay him nearly $60 million over the next 3 years.

So if I was a Magic or Hornets fan I would say do not trade them to the Lakers. They have nothing I would want. I wouldn't be opposed to trading them but no way would I do it for what the Lakers can offer.

Pacers could offer a protected 1st. And more young assets than L.A.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

These super-teams are making me absolutely hate the NBA.

Chris Paul finally smarten up and decided that New York shouldn't be his only choice?

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Can't blame Kupchak. If you're him, you have to make the call.

But I don't see Odom having that much value. Gasol, yes. Bynum, yes.

Have to get a guarantee of resigning the guys you trade for, but LA isn't a bad pill to swallow.
    It's not Odom having value as much as it is getting LA to take on Hedo's monster deal that runs through 2014 while getting Odom in return who has a team option for 2012-13.

It will not happen... LA does not have the young assets to make the deal that NOH would want... They could land Dwight I am sure, but not CP3...

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Chris Paul finally smarten up and decided that New York shouldn't be his only choice?
    Or maybe we should pay less attention to what writers make up.

The idea that Paul would be willing to agree to an extend and trade to NY was ridiculous as is this one.

But as long as this kind of incendiary stuff sells well, the press will keep producing it.

---

In any case, if the Lakers are interested in Paul, I doubt New Orleans can get much better than Bynum, especially if the deal is sweetened with something else.

Flipping Gasol for Howard seems more problematic to me. Orlando can get better offers than that, easily. Gasol would have little value for Orlando and I'm not sure how much they could get for him in a 3 teams trade.

As if my hate for the Lakers and all the other big market teams that the superstars have their panties in wads running off to couldn't get any more severe...And it just did...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    In any case, if the Lakers are interested in Paul, I doubt New Orleans can get much better than Bynum, especially if the deal is sweetened with something else.
    It depends on what the Hornets want.....they turned down Rondo....as in a young asset ( that isn't injury prone ) that would be a good piece to start rebuilding....why would they want JUST Bynum and maybe a late 1st round pick?

I'm thinking that IF the NBA wants to sell the Hornets franchise to an Owner....it would be harder to do this if there are huge long-term guaranteed Salary ( as in debt ) that the new Owner will have to take on when they join.

Isn't clearing Salary off the books what Teams usually do while trying to sell the franchise?

My guess is that whoever is making the calls for the Hornets didn't want that deal because they wanted back MULTIPLE rookie salaries, prospects, picks and a minimal amount of expiring Contracts back so that they can clear long-term salaries that are guaranteed off the books so that it is more attractive to prospective owners.

But as many have suggested....fair market value for CP3...for the Lakers would be for the Lakers to trade Bynum ( or Gasol ) and Odom to other Teams...get back whatever assets that they can....which I would assume be 1 to 3 draft picks, prospects and Expiring contracts...and then send that over to the Hornets.

There's no way that CP3 OR Howard could be had for whatever assets come back in the trade of ONE ( not a combination of TWO ) of the Lakers Players. At best, Gasol could probably net a Prospect+1st+Expiring....maybe even an additional 1st or prospect on top of that....and there is no way that this SHOULD be enough to get a true Franchise Level Player like CP3 OR Howard.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-06-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

IT will be just like the Knicks. They will get one via a trade but they won't have enough left over to get the other one.

May be a good thing for the Lakers to sell low on Gasol. It was just a year ago where people were calling him "the best big man in the game", just goes to show you. I can see them getting one of Dwight Howard and Paul, but not both.

Why would either do that? Aging vets and picks near the end of the first. Not going to rebuild very fast like that.

Lakers just talking out loud if you ask me. Of course they want them, but it's just not feasible. One or the other, I think they could do, but not both. Unless they wait till next year through FA.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

The Lakers will be lucky if they can get one of these guys via trade or even sign them.

However, I've accepted the fact that these stars all join together in big markets and such.

If they want to build up a "team" of no chemistry then let it be.

Us and the majority of the other teams in the league can build up a good team with great chemistry and win our own way. Dallas doesn't have any big named players outside of Dirk. They've had Dirk his whole career and they built up a hard working team with great chemistry.

CHEMISTRY WINS!
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 12-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    The Lakers will be lucky if they can get one of these guys via trade or even sign them.

However, I've accepted the fact that these stars all join together in big markets and such.

If they want to build up a "team" of no chemistry then let it be.

Us and the majority of the other teams in the league can build up a good team with great chemistry and win our own way. Dallas doesn't have any big named superstars outside of Dirk. They've had Dirk his whole career and they built up a hard working team with great chemistry.

CHEMISTRY WINS!
    You said it.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Too bad we can't get ESPN to campaign for our trades like the Lakers, maybe then Legend wouldn't be flying across the country to pick up Nene.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Too bad we can't get ESPN to campaign for our trades like the Lakers, maybe then Legend wouldn't be flying across the country to pick up Nene.
    Still can't believe this is an ESPN lead story, so do 29 other teams.

Banned
    Mood

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    New Orleans strongly engaged with Clippers, Warriors and Celtics in trade talks for Chris Paul on Tuesday, league sources tell Y!

Paul has indicated Clippers and Warriors could raise chances of keeping him long-term if they sign center Tyson Chandler too, sources say.

Hmm... could the Rondo-to-Indiana via Chris Paul-to-Boston speculation make a return in the near future?
    Last edited by Lance George; 12-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    New Orleans strongly engaged with Clippers, Warriors and Celtics in trade talks for Chris Paul on Tuesday, league sources tell Y!

Paul has indicated Clippers and Warriors could raise chances of keeping him long-term if they sign center Tyson Chandler too, sources say.

Hmm... could the rumored Rondo deal not be completely dead yet?
    Landing Nene and Rondo in the same offseason? Not bad larry....

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan View Post
    These super-teams are making me absolutely hate the NBA.
    When has parity led to success in the NBA though?

The 70's was the last time not considered a memorable era by people

The 80s had the Lakers/Celtics with Magic/Bird

The 90s had the Bulls with Jordan

And the 00s and the Lakers/Spurs with Kobe/Shaq/Duncan

Don't get me wrong I think if there was parity that would add excitement to the long suffering fanbases but if the Heat didn't form the Big 3 how many casual fans would've bothered with the NBA last year just to watch them fail?

They create villains

NHL/MLB are the same only the NFL thrives on parity because its a shorter season every game means more etc.

And these super teams don't guarantee anything I mean it was the Mavericks that won the NBA title with the star that spent his entire career there.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

Don't get me wrong I think if there was parity that would add excitement to the long suffering fanbases but if the Heat didn't form the Big 3 how many casual fans would've bothered with the NBA last year just to watch them fail?

They create villains

NHL/MLB are the same only the NFL thrives on parity because its a shorter season every game means more etc.

And these super teams don't guarantee anything I mean it was the Mavericks that won the NBA title with the star that spent his entire career there.
    Small Market teams have never been decimated on such a wide scale though.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

They create villains

The second superteam probably won't generate the same fan interest or villain story. Nor will the third or fourth.

If the superteams DON'T end up playing in the Finals, who will watch the "minor league" teams - even though the superteams being upset is a HUGE story?

How sustainable is a specific superteam? What happens if there are injuries?

The big national marketing superstar or "America's Team(s)" strategy can give you peaks, but it definitely isn't sustainable because it is too wrapped up in individuals. Look what happened after Jordan left - the same thing is going to happen in the not-so-distant future if you don't use the casual fan base as a way to build a solid foundational fan base.

A strategy that markets local, competitive teams to local fans can STILL pick a superstar or 2 or even hype the best teams each year for the national casual fan - but when that superstar goes away, or is injured, or is involved in a scandal, there's a higher level of sustained interest to carry you through to the next one.

Deciding the only way to market is for the national casual fan is shortsighted.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Small Market teams have never been decimated on such a wide scale though.
    Really?

Because a lot of these small market teams were pretty bad during those glory years as well. Namely the 80s

The 90s at least had the Pacers as the competitive small market team.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The second superteam probably won't generate the same fan interest or villain story. Nor will the third or fourth.

If the superteams DON'T end up playing in the Finals, who will watch the "minor league" teams - even though the superteams being upset is a HUGE story?

How sustainable is a specific superteam? What happens if there are injuries?

The big national marketing superstar or "America's Team(s)" strategy can give you peaks, but it definitely isn't sustainable because it is too wrapped up in individuals. Look what happened after Jordan left - the same thing is going to happen in the not-so-distant future if you don't use the casual fan base as a way to build a solid foundational fan base.

A strategy that markets local, competitive teams to local fans can STILL pick a superstar or 2 or even hype the best teams each year for the national casual fan - but when that superstar goes away, or is injured, or is involved in a scandal, there's a higher level of sustained interest to carry you through to the next one.

Deciding the only way to market is for the national casual fan is shortsighted.

Overall I agree but that's what Stern wants go figure never mind that nothing the other three leagues do will ever match the NFL's success even though they always want that big star preferably in a big market because big markets live and die by their sports teams(stereotype) And I have always thought Stern was a moron to put all his eggs in one basket (Jordan) sure it was successful but what happens after he's gone?

Sure there was Kobe and Shaq but their feud was on the same team.

A superteam is rather subjective.

Did you consider KG/Ray Allen/Paul Pierce a Superteam?

Even though those guys are rather old?

Or is it a superteam because these guys are in their prime?

The Eagles had their stars and were considered a "Dream Team" in name only yet failed to deliver.

The variable here is that there is no guarantee that this actually works which is why the Miami Thrice have opt out clauses in case they don't win within 4 years they're out.

And they didn't even win last year it was a team in Dallas with the same star they had since the beginning.

You can put stars together but in the end it doesn't guarantee anything as far as titles.