Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Paul Requests Trade to NY

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Chris Paul Requests Trade to NY

Couldn't find where anyone had posted this yet.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...w-york-knicks/

Chris Paul Requests Trade to NY

CP3 reportedly wants to be moved to the Knicks.

With Chris Paulís future very much up in the air, Yahoo! is reporting that the superstar point guard has one destination on his mind: The Big Apple. Some details: ďChris Paulís agent informed New Orleans officials on Wednesday that his client will not sign a contract extension and wants to be traded to the New York Knicks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. As soon as the NBA lifts its lockout restrictions, Hornets general manager Dell Demps wants to meet with Paul and hear that directive from him. Nevertheless, the prospects of the Hornets executing a trade with the Knicks appear to be relatively dim. The Knicks simply donít have the trade assets that come close to meeting New Orleansí criteria for a deal. Demps has been listening to overtures from teams around the league, and has been actively working under the assumption that Paul would reject a contract extension. The Hornets have no intention of letting Paul walk away at seasonís end without trying to get maximum value for him. There are several teams, including the Boston Celtics, that could be willing to make a deal for Paul with the hope of convincing him to eventually sign an extension. The Hornets will be motivated to make a deal as soon as possible for Paul, and arenít completely determined to get a point guard in return for him, sources said. Theyíre willing to play Jarrett Jack as the starter for the rest of the season, and mostly want to gather the best possible package of overall talent and draft picks. Paul has reached out to Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard recently, encouraging Howard to find a way for the two to play together, sources told Yahoo! Sports. That would be a difficult scenario for the Knicks to make happen. Paulís desire to join the Knicks was cemented after he spent so much time in New York over the summer with close friend, Carmelo Anthony.Ē

Default Re: Chris Paul Requests Trade to NY

I just expressed my displeasure of this news in a different thread.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Wish in one hand, **** in the other....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just expressed my displeasure of this news in a different thread.
    Bad news if he goes to the East but good news for us signing West to a decent contract.

Now that I think about we should structure Dwest contract much like he had before. Front load and give him a player option on the 4th year. If he out performs it then great he can get another deal. If he wants to stay great he won't be that hard to trade his final year at 7.5 mill.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Good thing the Knicks have absolutely nothing to trade. What's the offer? Fields, Shumpert, Toney Douglas, 2nd rounders, and cash? Psh.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Good thing the Knicks have absolutely nothing to trade. What's the offer? Fields, Shumpert, Toney Douglas, 2nd rounders, and cash? Psh.
    If I'm the Hornets, I wouldn't settle on the Knicks just because Chris Paul wants to go there. This is where the "player's league" takes its toll.

The Celtics probably are the best team I can think of. One last year to try and win it all with those players before they completely fall apart.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He gonna have to wait for someone to buy the team then. The league isn't going to feed the conspiracy nuts.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    If I'm the Hornets, I wouldn't settle on the Knicks just because Chris Paul wants to go there. This is where the "player's league" takes its toll.

The Celtics probably are the best team I can think of. One last year to try and win it all with those players before they completely fall apart.
    If Boston would dare to take him without an extension, I would ship him there for Rondo if I were the GM of NOH... Just to get the best value that I could for him...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Whould we even consider a year rental of CP3 depending what the cost is... Hans, DC and a first?? Would be tempting IMO, and hope that Indy would grow on him...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    Whould we even consider a year rental of CP3 depending what the cost is... Hans, DC and a first?? Would be tempting IMO, and hope that Indy would grow on him...

Absolutely not. There's no way I would bank on him liking Indy enough to not go to New York.

He's going to be in a Knicks uniform next season.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

This kinds of news just disgusts me
    Last edited by TheDon; 12-06-2011 at 11:18 PM.

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The Knicks definitely deserved Amare. They sucked for years, horrible contracts came off the books.

Donnie Walsh built up a good, young team there during the process like us. Walsh wasn't even the one to get Carmelo Anthony. That was Jim Dolan.

Ask a typical bandwagon NBA fan about that and they'd be all like a team of superstars is better than a team of say Felton/Fields/Gallinari/Stoudemire/Turiaf.

I have a great deal of respect for DRose even though I hated his guts in the playoffs and still do now. Yes he plays in a big market himself which isn't problem. He's not for the whole "buddy basketball". That article is on NBA.com BTW.

I wish, just for once, an owner would stand up publicly and very expressively say no to one of these requests. This isn't going to be the time considering the situation, but it would be nice.

Heck, something like that might have already happened in NBA history and it wasn't recognized as such. And obviously a team could be left with nothing ... something Denver wasn't going to let happen. But hey, a high lottery pick might be better than the smorgasbord of middling players teams often get back in return.

It's not so much the request for a trade, but a request to be traded to one place and one place only. It's beyond ludicrous in my mind. These guys can ultimately sabotage a whole season with distractions, and it's unfair to ownership, players and fans alike.

Want to play with your friends? There are playgrounds in every city in America. Have at it.
    Last edited by Kraft; 12-01-2011 at 08:11 PM.

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The union isn't even back together and we're already having issues like this? Give me a break. What was done in the negotiations to prevent players from pick and choosing what team they will or won't play for? Somebody has to put their foot down concerning these superstars.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

This is why I wouldn't have minded if the lockout lasted a long time. I am starting to wonder what is the point of the draft, small market teams, the nba.... The player movement is out of control. There may as well not be small market teams.
    Last edited by rock747; 12-01-2011 at 08:31 PM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, they CAN put their foot down, by NOT trading him. Of course, they will get nothing for him if they do that, but thems the breaks.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Well, they CAN put their foot down, by NOT trading him. Of course, they will get nothing for him if they do that, but thems the breaks.
    What's the point of them trying to get value for him. I thought Chris Paul was a pretty valuable asset for them. Apparently not.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

No surprises here. He had expressed this desire last year IIRC, and I am sure he hasn't changed his mind now.

It also is very much in the interests of the league to insure a highly competitive NY Knicks franchise, so I am fully of the belief, conspiratorially or not, that the league will devise a way to make this a reality without it looking blatantly like they are stacking the Knicks despite the new CBA. It will probably somehow be presented as being "fiscally prudent for the struggling Hornets franchise to acquire cheaper young talent with a high level of potential in exchange for the experience and associated costly contract of one of the league's superstar players".

Oh, well. NBA - Where, Despite a 5 Month Lockout, Team Stacking Happens

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Yea, this has been my thoughts since it first emerged. Knicks will need a 3rd team for sure.

I'd love to see him traded to Toronto, which is among the most hopeless franchises at the moment, for pennies on the dollar just because. But NOH will never do it, no decent player would ever want to play there after that. From what I can tell, New Orleans as a community has really embraced CP3, he is a dick to turn his back on them so blatantly.

From the selfish perspective of a Pacer fan, CP3 in New York is kind of interesting. Can you imagine the Pacers-Knicks rivalry reignited with a star-laden Knicks team vs. a crafty, play well together, cohesive, well-rounded, no star above the team Indiana Pacers in the future? Could be fun to watch and would express the nature of both cities well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Right now, for 2012/2013, the Knicks would have 4 players under contract for about 42M. If they didn't add any players this season that would be paid into next year, they would have about 16M to sign Paul. Then they would need to find another 9-10 players to fill out their roster at low salary. They would have the MLE and the 2.5M exception to use. But good luck with that.

Heck, let the league fold New Orleans and put their players out to the bidding system like the amnesty players. That would put a burr in Paul's butt... he could spend a year in hell.

Gotta Play Big

This is the type of trade that could make me drop the NBA. Not this trade, but one like it depending on the player. If I were a Hornets fan, I am sure I would be done.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    From what I can tell, New Orleans as a community has really embraced CP3, he is a dick to turn his back on them so blatantly.
    You can say that about D-Will, Mello, LJ... it's total

Sports Logo

I sorta wish Dallas was just terrible and Dirk was the kinda guy to pull this kinda thing. I'd love to see how Cuban handled it.

What's the whole "only X max players per team" rule in the new CBA? Would him going there even be legal? Whatever, bring it on. Paul/Melo/Amare and a bunch of scrubs honestly doesn't scare me.