Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How bad would it be to get Baron Davis and Varejao?

Default Re: How bad would it be to get Baron Davis and Varejao?

they'd come lots cheaper nowadays
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ckill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could just trade DC, Rush, and a 1st to Memphis for Mayo and have him run the point. Or sign Stuckey to run the point and trade DC for something else.
    Awful trade, and Memphis's experiments with Mayo at the point have been huge embarrassing failures.

Banned

By the way I don't understand the hate for Baron, the guy is a really good person that does a lot of good for the communities where he lives.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    By the way I don't understand the hate for Baron, the guy is a really good person that does a lot of good for the communities where he lives.
    Dunleavy is a really good personable guy too, if you've ever met him. Bet you want him back now, eh? Of course not, it has nothing to do with basketball. You can be a good person who gives to charity and still be someone who tears teams apart. Like Ron Artest donating half of his salary to charity.

You're taking two unrelated things and trying to make one conclusion on flawed logic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Dunleavy is a really good personable guy too, if you've ever met him. Bet you want him back now, eh? Of course not, it has nothing to do with basketball. You can be a good person who gives to charity and still be someone who tears teams apart. Like Ron Artest donating half of his salary to charity.

You're taking two unrelated things and trying to make one conclusion on flawed logic.
    By some of the answers here it sounds to me that's more than just basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    By some of the answers here it sounds to me that's more than just basketball.
    In a way, yes. Baron when motivated he is a very good player. I loved him at UCLA and thought he was going to be Jason Kidd-lite with the ability to you know, score.

Problem is off the court he seems unmotivated if he doesn't like his situation. Problem with being unmotivated however, is that it eventually manifests itself on the court. With Baron, you could physically see it. There were rumors going around he weighed 260 lbs. That's 45 pounds over his listed playing weight.

So yes, while his problems are attitude and motivation problems, and they are off the court ... those things have a way of finding their way onto the court. Not to mention, he's another guy like Crawford to me. He shoots a lot, but he's not going to make a high percentage. Baron has shot under 40% four times.

I'd rather have Crawford, honestly.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wonder what Cleveland'd say about Hans + a lotto-ish protected 1st for Varejao.
    If I was Chris Grant I would prefer just 2 1st rd picks and Cash so I would have money to buy a pick around draft time if I wanted too.

They traded Hickson for a reason. Im sure Tristan Thompson will play 30+ minutes this year they are rebuilding the right way. Even though drafting Thomson was a bad move IMO.

They are 3-5 yrs away but if they hit with these picks like the one they got from the Kings for JJ they will be a really good team in a few years because they actually rebuilt.

If I am there GM I am doing all I can to get Anthony Davis he would be a perfect fit to play with Kyrie and Thomson they could run and gun and really defend the paint as well.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-05-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    They traded Hickson for a reason.
    Wow, completely missed that trade.

Good move for them though. JJ Hickson might have the lowest IQ for an NBA player I've ever seen. Casspi and a future first isn't bad.

I wouldn't trade for Baron but I think most of you are just assuming Baron is a "cancer" who "tears teams apart". From everything I've heard, the man is great in the locker room and is loved by his teammates. No idea where you are getting some of this stuff from...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    I wouldn't trade for Baron but I think most of you are just assuming Baron is a "cancer" who "tears teams apart". From everything I've heard, the man is great in the locker room and is loved by his teammates. No idea where you are getting some of this stuff from...
    This is what I've been saying forever, his former teammates usually go to his charities games because they like him right?

You have got to be kidding, Variego is not worth a no. 1 or Hansbrough all by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post

You have got to be kidding, Variego is not worth a no. 1 or Hansbrough all by themselves.

Is that right!!! Your opinion is duely noted, but not one I believe is accurate.

ps - xBulletproof said it first.
    There have been reports of Baron Davis being out-of-shape and somewhat careless recovering from his injuries. Not being exactly a work-out/physiotherapy warrior, at times his conditioning has looked less than stellar. And being somewhat difficult to motivate to go all in when his team is losing or he doesn't trust the coach. I think a more driven Baron Davis would have had a better career, in his best moments (with Paul Silas in Charlotte) he was fantastic.

He seems to be a great guy to be around though. Someone cool to drink a beer with. And I think he can be a good mentor to younger players, I can't see him being a bad influence or a cancer.
    Last edited by cordobes; 12-06-2011 at 05:14 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Mood

It would be real bad. I am not a fan of Baron Davis and even though I like Varejao I think it would not be worth it.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I like the idea of getting Varajeo for the price of taking Baron.

Provided Baron's contract is just a year or two. With the right motivating coach (Vogel-ding, ding, ding) Baron Davis could be a beast. If all the stars aligned, we solve our need for a closer, for a solid point guard, and for a very good 4-5 Xman in one swoop.

Sure, it would be a risk, but if it worked out, awesome.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

21. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Wow, I like Andy as well as the rest of the guys and think he'd be a perfect fit but would definitely not want Baron. I think we could find an out of shape PG somewhere else much cheaper. Maybe this trade for Baron would have been a good one say five to seven years ago but not now, nah I would have to pass. Even though we didn't play that well at the 1 spot, I want to see a year of DC running the same system.

Worst...Idea...Ever...Davis is the prototypical get millions of dollars and quit on the game problem player...And Varejao is as soft as they come...I thought the point was to get better? At best these would be lateral moves and would makes us no better. Most likely we would be worse with a newly acquired team cancer and an overpaid player.