Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pharmacy Gave Me Wrong Pills, Trip To Emergency Room

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pharmacy Gave Me Wrong Pills, Trip To Emergency Room

I take Atenolol for high blood pressure. 4 or 5 days ago I started taking the pills from a new bottle.

For a few days my heart would randomly start beating faster. Didn't seem like enough to worry about. Till today when I woke up, I felt weak, tried, clammy and sweaty, I checked my blood pressure and pulse. My pulse rate was 155, my BP was 158/104.

I decided I better go to the emergency room. They were great, rushed me back to a room and hooked up EKG, IV, the works. Ran a zillion tests and determined that I wasn't having a heart attack, had a normal sinus rhythm just to fast. They still never really figured out what was causing it. Only thing they found was that I was constipated and that could contribute to high heart rate. The BP and Pulse went down some after I found out I wasn't dying, so they finally sent me home.

They asked me if I'd changed meds or had some refilled. So when I got home I looked at my meds and they had the WRONG pills in the bottle. The wrong pills were the exact size and color of my Atenolol, but a pill called Allopurinol used for the treatment of gout, one has m 31 on the pill the other m 757. So I went 3 or 4 days without my BP medicine, taking gout meds instead.

After that long explanation of what happened.

I need to know what I should do. Whom should I contact? Report it to someone? This is a very serious thing IMO. I freaking thought I was dying. In another circumstance someone could have died. What should I do?
    Last edited by Hoop; 12-04-2011 at 03:33 AM.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pharmacy Gave Me Wrong Pills, Trip To Emergency Room

1.) Contact lawyer
    2.) Contact your doctor
    3.) Contact the pharmacy

4.) Is up to you, but personally, I would sue.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Glad you are ok. I would also check to see who oversees the phar. in your state and file a complaint.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did the bottle label say atenolol or allopurinol?

If the bottle said atenolol, take legal action now.

If the bottle said allopurinol, then it's a diff situation, but one that should be addressed.

Either way, this is not a matter in which nothing should be done. Address the situation now.

PS. I'm glad you're ok. That's a horrible mistake.

My wife had someone at her work die just a couple of weeks ago who for some unknown reason stoppped taking her blood pressure meds. Her blood pressure systolic (top number) went over 300. She had an aneurysm and died before they got her in the ambulance. She was only 46. It scared me because, I have been taking blood pressure medicine for about 10 years, and I am only 37.
    In your case, someone at the pharmacy really screwed up. It might have been a pharmacy tech, but the pharmacist on duty is overall responsible and probably could get fired over something like that. We have been going to the same Kroger pharmacy for years and we know are pharmacist well, but after hearing about this I am going to make sure I check my pills every time I get my perscription filled.
    Let us know what you decide to do and what happens.
    Last edited by pacers74; 12-04-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Mood

Glad you're okay!

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

You're right, it is incredibly serious. If I were you, I would sue them. Even if you aren't comfortable of the idea for being compensated for what you went through, they need to pay a price so that they are deterred from doing this again to somebody else. I know what I wrote reads like some Keller & Keller Commercial, but I would seriously do it. Glad you're okay.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Make them pay you with years or decades of lower bowl season tickets.

At the least they owe for your emergency room visit and treatment.

I'm guessing the pharmacy will be insured for this type of thing so that will likely perk up the ears of any atty you talk to... He won't have to worry about getting blood from a turnip and he will realize the insurance company will probably stonewall but then ultimately look to settle. I'm not sure what the overriding factor will be though- that this mistake could've killed you... or that it didn't. That will determine how much value this case would have to an atty. If at best it's just recouping your emergency room expenses, something your insurance is covering anyway, then Indiana might not have the best consumer vs business dynamic to make this worth your time... let alone the attorney's.

You should definitely talk to an atty or two because you'll get the answer to that pretty quickly.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I feel we are a sue happy society, but that is a big mistake. I cannot counsel you on whether or not to sue, but like others have said I would highly suggest you consult with a lawyer

Mood

Contact your lawyer and get the little details figured out. They need to at the bare minimum reimburse you for your ER treatment. Glad to hear you are ok!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

First, I'm assuming you have insurance. You need to inform your insurance company of the error. Believe me, they will take care of the rest.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1.) Contact lawyer
    2.) Contact your doctor
    3.) Contact the pharmacy

4.) Is up to you, but personally, I would sue.
    What are the damages? Trip to ER, being scared. I work for an insurance co and defend these type cases. Not to be cold or heartless, but there just just isn't much value in this case, unless there is some long term damages. I doubt a lawyer would take the case.

Not to suggest you shouldn't make yourself known to the pharmacy assuming that is where the mistake was.

It may not be fair but suing for something like this won't get you much, and lawyers get 33% of a settlement, which IMO would be minimal, so lawyers won't be knocking down your door? You rarely get very well compensated based upon what could have happened, you get compensated based upon what did happen
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-04-2011 at 06:07 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Did the bottle label say atenolol or allopurinol?

If the bottle said atenolol, take legal action now.

If the bottle said allopurinol, then it's a diff situation, but one that should be addressed.

Either way, this is not a matter in which nothing should be done. Address the situation now.

PS. I'm glad you're ok. That's a horrible mistake.
    It was labeled correctly Atenolol, but the wrong pills were in the bottle. I'm sure they'll say I have some responsibility for making sure they are correct before taking them. The bad thing, they were the exact same size and color, but the number on the pill was different, I just didn't notice at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    What are the damages? Trip to ER, being scared. I work for an insurance co and defend these type cases. Not to be cold or heartless, but there just just isn't much value in this case, unless there is some long term damages. I doubt a lawyer would take the case.

Not to suggest you shouldn't make yourself known to the pharmacy assuming that is where the mistake was.

It may not be fair but suing for something like this won't get you much, and lawyers get 33% of a settlement, which IMO would be minimal, so lawyers won't be knocking down your door? You rarely get very well compensated based upon what could have happened, you get compensated based upon what did happen
    You make a lot of excellent points.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I'm not in favor of all the frivolous lawsuit that happen. I been using the same pharmacy for 25+ years and never had a problem. It just seems like a mistake that should not ever happen though. I'll have to think about it some more.

Thankfully I have good insurance, so I doubt I'll owe much of anything, already paid the deductible for the year.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sorry, but if the wrong pills were in the correctly labeled bottle, I would absolutely sue. And IMO there is a pretty big claim here if you have a good lawyer. Just my opinion though.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

^Absolutely...the idea the there are frivolous lawsuits all over the place is something of a myth...juries are actually quite hard on plaintiffs...

this may or may not be a case that is likely to win, but it does not cost anything (except time) to consult with a lawyer...the error by the pharmacy seems to be significant to me...

Mood

I also am of the opinion that there are too many sue happy people out there....but there is a difference between this and someone spilling coffee on themselves or tripping on a crack in the sidewalk.

I'd at least consult a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    I also am of the opinion that there are too many sue happy people out there....but there is a difference between this and someone spilling coffee on themselves or tripping on a crack in the sidewalk.

I'd at least consult a lawyer.
    lol...this is exactly what I mean...even the McDonalds coffee case wasn't as bad as it was made out: she was like this grandma that suffered third degree burns from the coffee, and the award was ultimately greatly reduced to something like $100K

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    lol...this is exactly what I mean...even the McDonalds coffee case wasn't as bad as it was made out: she was like this grandma that suffered third degree burns from the coffee, and the award was ultimately greatly reduced to something like $100K
    I'm sorry, but 100k for spilling coffee on yourself is kind of ridiculous...is it not?

I heard that 100K was overturned, but that is neither here nor there.

Please update us Hoop. And once again glad you are ok!

Mood

but anyway, my small point was there are sue happy people out there...whether they win or not doesn't matter. And I think you should actually have a case, Hoop.

But yeah, no more thread dis-railing.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ^Absolutely...the idea the there are frivolous lawsuits all over the place is something of a myth...juries are actually quite hard on plaintiffs...

this may or may not be a case that is likely to win, but it does not cost anything (except time) to consult with a lawyer...the error by the pharmacy seems to be significant to me...

He'll win the case, but one of two things would likely happen. He'll win the case and be awarded very , very minimal damages, very little money. Or he'll win and after about 3 years of depositions, hearings, trials, appeals he might get some signicant money or very very little, but for sure his life will be interrupted.

Almost all cases settle prior to trial but I would be shocked if the insurance company for the pharmacy pays much to settle this case. Now if the wrong meds caused significant longterm health problems, then you are looking at a huge case.

The McDonald's case is an interesting one. It's woven its way into being the poster child for frivolous lawsuits but that's probably undeserved.

The woman spent 7 days in the hospital and dealt with skin grafts for her 3rd degree burns. More importantly, it wasn't the first time McDonald's had dealt with this type of case so they were well aware of the issue but never addressed it in any way. Not even instructing their employees to warn customers the coffee was very hot or to put a warning on the cups, let alone to use larger cups with a lower fill line to minimize spill/splash potential. And at some point it was discovered McDonald's served some of the hottest coffee in the fast food business (if not the hottest).

In the past they'd simply settled the suits. If you're going to settle suits and not address any of the issues surrounding the reason for the suits, and no way try and mitigate future issues, then you should at least be prepared to continue settling suits. But for whatever reason, McDonalds balked at settling this case.

You have legitimate and serious injuries, a track record of this problem going unaddressed in the company, a sympathetic 82 year old woman, and you decide THIS is the case you're going to take to trial rather than settle?? IIRC McDonalds even refused to accept the suggestion of court ordered pre-trial mediation for a settle amount in the neighborhood of 200,000.00. ...An amount the plaintiff was likely to have accepted.

I don't know what the final award ended up being but don't let this case sway you to believe corporate America is overwhelmed with frivolous lawsuits.

And there's this 'thing' where people think it's wrong to sue. But when you've been wronged a lawsuit is exactly the system we have in this country to determine who is right and who is wrong and what the damages/award should be. Short of the lawsuit, you can try and negotiate things short of court but if the other side refuses to see things your way or compromise at all, a lawsuit is our only legal avenue... other than to stick our tail between our legs and turn away.
    Last edited by Bball; 12-04-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

IMO, the pharmacy, if it is a large chain, will likely settle out of court. If it's CVS, Walgreens, etc, I don't think they'd be chomping at the bit for this to possibly become a big deal. Suggesting that he could possibly have years of legal fees to pay seems sort of hard to believe to me.

Not to mention. do we really need to have "long term health effects" to for it to be a big issues in this country now? Not to put words in Hoop's mouth, but based on his story he seemed to have been at least quite concerned that he could be having a heart attack. If he doesn't speak up, then who might be next? If there is a careless/reckless person working that pharmacy, how long til someone doesn't get lucky like Hoop did? (Comparatively speaking of course, a trip to the ER is never fun and believe you might be having a heart attack would certainly make it even worse)

Sorry, but IMO, this is EXACTLY the sort of thing I wouldn't hesitate suing for.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-05-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Doing a little GOogle research shows that between 2 and 5% of perscriptions are believed to be filled incorrectly.

Then there was this site.

http://www.injurylawyersofmidland.co...-errors-injury
    Last edited by indygeezer; 12-05-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..