Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Marc Gasol?

Default Re: Marc Gasol?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think is possible for Gasol to have his own "area 33'?
    Uh no? Unless its Danny's area.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

If we can't have Gasol playing PF, then forget it.

Sports Logo

Just to give a clearer picture of the Grizzlies Salary Cap situation:

2011-2012

Zach Randolph - $15.20 mil
    Rudy Gay - $15.03 mil
    Mike Conley - $6.61 mil
    OJ Mayo - $5.63 mil
    Tony Allen - $3.15 mil
    Xavier Henry - $2.17 mil
    Darrell Arther - $2.03 mil
    Greivis Vasquez - $1.11 mil
    Sam Young - $947k
    Ishmael Smith - $789k

Assumptions for 2011-2012
    - Sam Young Team Option picked up
    - Ishmael Smith Guaranteed Contract is picked up
    - NO Player isy-ed".

$52.66 mil in Guaranteed $$$ owed to 10 Players

2012-2013

Zach Randolph - $16.50 mil
    Rudy Gay - $16.48 mil
    Mike Conley - $7.31 mil
    Tony Allen - $3.30 mil
    Xavier Henry - $2.32 mil
    Greivis Vasquez - $1.19 mil

Assumptions for 2012-2013
    - OJ Mayo is a RFA
    - Sam Young is a RFA
    - Darrell Arther is a RFA
    - Xavier Henry Team Option is picked up
    - Greivis Vasquez Team Option is picked up

$47.1 mil in Guaranteed $$$ owed to 6 Players

IF Gasol truly is one of the targets ( I still have SOME doubt ), then one of the things that the Pritchard MUST do is to FRONTLOAD the contract. IMHO, the Grizzlies are cheap and anything that pushes them further into the LT...the better and harder it would be for them to match....and even if they do match....force them to do something that they don't want to do ( which IMHO is payback for the whole OJ/McBob trade fiasco ).

IMHO....if WE MUST go after Gasol AND include Hibbert as part of a S&T....then I'd prefer to expand the trade to include BRush and make it a Gasol ( S&T )+OJ for Hibbert+BRush ( no additional Picks to be included from the Pacers ).

This would solve 2 problems....ASSUMING that there is a need to shore up the Wing Rotation with another scorer ( that the Pacers were clearly interested in and not IMHO overpaying for JCraw ) while NOT giving up a Draft Pick.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    Hibbert + Rush for Gasol + Mayo + difference in salary eaten by Pacers.

Uhh...

yes, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    We'd have Gasol anyway without giving up anything. So we'd be giving up Hibbert and Rush for Mayo. No thanks.
    Two things, that trade may work, but the only problem is MEM does not want to give up Gasol at all from what I am hearing.

The second thing is if the trade were to work it most likely would be different than just giving up them for Mayo, we would most likely get Gasol at a cheaper amount than we would if we tried to get him as a RFA, which would probably take a max contract.

Gasol said he wanted 9 mil in his interview, if they resigned him for that much and the Pacers traded for him that would be what like 6 million in savings.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    Roy Hibbert is everything this franchise has been preaching about for the last 5 years or so. He's genuine, he works as hard as any other athlete I can think of and he honestly cares about the community/fans. On top of that he's 7'2" and 24 years old. Has he struggled at times? Absolutely. Has he looked like a superstar at times? Absolutely. I know everyone is thinking I'm only writing this because I'm in Area55 and he gives me free tickets. That's bullsh*t. I'm a season ticket holder anyway and have loved Roy since we drafted him.

I know it's a business and if you think you can acquire "better" talent than you do it. I guess I'm not sure that Marc Gasol is better talent. He had good, not great numbers last year. I'm very aware of who he played with and how his numbers may have suffered from that, but on the other hand they also could have been the benefit of the talent around him. He had a great run in the playoffs. He absolutely did, but who's to say that Roy won't have a great run this year? I'm worried that Marc might just be the "flavor of the week" because of his playoff run.

We could be trading away a 7'2" guy who ACTUALLY wants to be here for a guy that is already saying if you don't pay me my 9 million, I'm going back to Europe. Do we really want to deal with that?

As far as Roy being athletic. Watch this video. This is pretty damn athletic. I know this doesn't mean a lot necessarily, but it means something. It means he's working his *** off to get better. You can say he's doing all this work for his next contract and he is, but even last night he told us he's doing it for us. He's doing it to make this team better.

Yes, a lot of this is me speaking from the "heart" so to speak, but isn't that what being a fan is, ultimately? I want to connect with/like the guys I'm rooting for.

Alright off my soap box. Everyone can go back to telling me how awesome Marc Gasol is. I think he's pretty damn good, too. I know thinking Marc is better than Roy doesn't mean anyone necessarily thinks badly of Roy, but like I said I think he deserves more time.
    I think people are just bitter.

I think Roy is in for a very good, consistent season. He is a very good center.

He now has the body of a center and can't wait to see how he does with the added strength and bigger muscles.

I know Tyler added some more muscle too.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    That's an attempt by Memphis to keep the bidding price for Gasol as low as possible.

I don't believe they'll keep Gasol at any price.

Whatever the case is, I'm rooting for Roy. I hope he remains a Pacer and I hope he has a great season and puts some of these rumors out of their misery.
    Yeah, I think it might be as well. You have to think the Grizzlies won't offer the near-max dollars Gasol will be looking for from the get-go. If it turns into a lengthy, drawn-out negotiation there will most likely be one team (whether it's the Pacers or someone else) that attempts to force Heisley's hand.

He's talking the talk right now, but I would be shocked to see Heisley matching a max or near-max contract.

I enjoyed this:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    IMHO, the Grizzlies are cheap and anything that pushes them further into the LT...
    The Grizzlies had a payroll of $69.7M last season, so they're definitely not cheap. They have Shane Battier and Marco Jaric combining to make $14.1M last season. Both are now free agents. Their shed salary could cover Gasol's new contract.

I think they'd be more concerned about 12-13 through 14-15, with Randolph's, Gay's, Conley's, and (presumably) Gasol's contracts all escalating annually. That's when their payroll would begin inching closer-and-closer to $80M territory.

I love Roy too, he is a great guy, he is great for the fans. Area 55 freakin rules. But, at this moment, he just is not that great of a basketball player. He has the potential to be and we have seen flashes of greatness, but the inconsistency is overwhelming. He has more bad games than good games.

Marc Gasol is a huge upgrade in all things basketball.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    I love Roy too, he is a great guy, he is great for the fans. Area 55 freakin rules. But, at this moment, he just is not that great of a basketball player. He has the potential to be and we have seen flashes of greatness, but the inconsistency is overwhelming. He has more bad games than good games.

Marc Gasol is a huge upgrade in all things basketball.
    Agree to disagree.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Buy low. Sell High. Gasol is going to sell high. Better off trading for what we want.

And I love the image of Bird holding grudges, not wanting to be a laughing stock amongst the other owners, and looking to steal the inbound pass from Memphis and nail a three down their throat to clinch the game. The "raise the price on Gasol so we can get OJ for peanuts" makes me happy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beezer615 For This Useful Post:

To all the doubters of a twin towers in Indy let me remind u of a recent acquisition the pacers acquired... U know the assistance coach we have now. U know the one who was supposed to be the zen masters heir, the one who actualled had twin towers and saw how it worked up close. That is some intel that would come in handy if we were to acquire gasol...just saying.

On another note bpump33 u are now awarded the poster of the week...lol I've never seen that many likes from one poster in a thread before...good stuff!
    Last edited by 3 8 thee great t h; 12-03-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

wonder-twin powers: ACTIVATE!!
    Form of a reasoable contract...,
    Form of Roy staying a Pacer...

Only a superhero can make this a reality...
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)