Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Note to Pacers: David West isnít worth it(from a New Orleans Hornets fan)

Default Re: Note to Pacers: David West isnít worth it(from a New Orleans Hornets fan)

I think the ACL injury should be a big "no."

Most of the board, very much disliked the way Price played after coming off of his knee injury last season. And very much disliked the way Dunleavy played after coming off of his knee injury the season before.

Well, as someone who has seen far too many players play the "season after the ACL" (thank you, women's basketball) I can tell you, it'll be worse than the two above. And DWest is getting up there in age, so it'll be harder for him to recover from his athletic loss, and possibly the mental aspect of the tear. (No way to really know that. Dun and AJ seemed to be about average in terms of the mental aspect of knee injuries, but I actually question of Rush is STILL dealing with it. I've seen players essentially not be able to play again.)

My point, not worth it. He's not going to be the DWest you are thinking of, at least not this season. In fact, I'd wager that Tyler and Josh would be better, maybe significantly so. And that DWest was probably not worth the money it is going to take to sign him, anyway.

edit: And I don't understand this feeling of "can't have two guys in the post" because, when healthy, the best frontcourt in the league is easily the Lakers. And both Pau and Bynum play in the post.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: Note to Pacers: David West isnít worth it(from a New Orleans Hornets fan)

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Memphis and LA showed that having two big guys together in the same area doesn't really mean that they are in the same space, you can always find ways to make that work, Roy can hit the jumper opening space for the other big guy inside, Roy is also a great passer making it easier to feed the post.

Again if we had a guy like Tyson Chandler, Nene or Noah at center I wouldn't mind getting a guy like West, the problem is that Roy is not Noah, Nene or Chandler so we need to find somebody that complements him.
    Roy is kind of unique. There aren't a lot of guys that size with those skills, I think if he perfects his game he could be nearly unguardable, which is why I like him playing in the post more than drifting out to shoot jumpers. Thats why I prefer a PF who will facilitate Roy playing in the post as opposed to Roy drifting out.

Both Memphis and LA have a big who can stretch the floor (Randolph, Pau Gasol). While Hibbert COULD fill that role, I like him better focusing on post play.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post

Most of the board, very much disliked the way Price played after coming off of his knee injury last season. And very much disliked the way Dunleavy played after coming off of his knee injury the season before.

Well, as someone who has seen far too many players play the "season after the ACL" (thank you, women's basketball) I can tell you, it'll be worse than the two above. And DWest is getting up there in age, so it'll be harder for him to recover from his athletic loss, and possibly the mental aspect of the tear. (No way to really know that. Dun and AJ seemed to be about average in terms of the mental aspect of knee injuries, but I actually question of Rush is STILL dealing with it. I've seen players essentially not be able to play again.)

My point, not worth it. He's not going to be the DWest you are thinking of, at least not this season. In fact, I'd wager that Tyler and Josh would be better, maybe significantly so. And that DWest was probably not worth the money it is going to take to sign him, anyway.

edit: And I don't understand this feeling of "can't have two guys in the post" because, when healthy, the best frontcourt in the league is easily the Lakers. And both Pau and Bynum play in the post.
    Man we finally agree in something again

Noooooo....I thought David West was 6'10" this entire time! At this moment, I veto any decision to get David West (age, injury, undersized, etc) unless he comes dirt cheap. As for a pick and pop PF...we have that in Tyler Hansbrough. Tyler CAN shoot the mid-range jumper at a pretty good rate. Tyler needs to know how to immediately move into a post move when the defense takes away his jumper. I would give the nod to David West in this regards, BUT David West has been in the league for 8 years while last year was Hansbrough's "rookie" season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Not necessarily. I'm not advocating a pure jump shooter to be our PF, but I would like to see a guy who has a jump shot playing next to Hibbert. I like versatility.

West has a post game too, keep in mind. What I would like to avoid is getting a PF who has no offensive game outside of 5 feet, because ultimately, I think you will see Hibbert drifting out and becoming a jump shooter more often than not. I think that is a waste of his abilities.
    I just think any coach with any amount of common sense would easily find a way to get both plenty of touches in the low post, even with one or the other sharing time further away from the hoop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I just think any coach with any amount of common sense would easily find a way to get both plenty of touches in the low post, even with one or the other sharing time further away from the hoop.
    Exactly.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    He was a two time All Star, he was a good player, we don't know what he is now after the surgery, remember Ebrand when Philly tought the same thing? "Elton Brand is a great player" they didn't know how much worse the surgery was going to make him.

I also remember having this same argument with people about Dunleavy post surgery "Mike Dunleavy is a good player and could score 18ppg again" how that worked out?
    Fair poitns

But if he is health I see a good 4-5 more years of productivity
    Sittin on top of the world!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post

true but thats because Pau is one of , if not the best, passing big man in the game
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    true but thats because Pau is one of , if not the best, passing big man in the game
    No, its because, despite recent conventional wisdom, having two big guys down low is actually an advantage. On offense and defense. (the only issue is maybe the PnR, but that's only if neither of those guys are mobile)

And besides, Roy's a pretty good passer when not double teamed.

I have far more trust in Tyler being the starter than I do West.

Please Mr. Bird and Mr. Morway, don't do it!
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!