Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note to Pacers: David West isnít worth it(from a New Orleans Hornets fan)

Banned

Default Note to Pacers: David West isnít worth it(from a New Orleans Hornets fan)

I found this article in one of the New Orleans Hornets fan blogs similar to Indycornrows:

http://blognbasketball.com/2011/09/p...west-bad-idea/

Note to Pacers: David West isn’t worth it

When NBA free agency eventually begins, the Indiana Pacers will have power forward David West high on their wishlist. This isn’t surprising, as they basically platooned guys into that 4-spot all of last season. But I don’t know if West is the right guy here. I’m assuming they’ll overpay for him too…as a new collective bargaining agreement won’t change this, most popular of NBA traditions. Unless it comes at a steep steep discount, they’re better off without West. Why? Because the last time ’D’ went in the paint, Kobe Bryant was still wearing number 8.

Back in 2003, David West wasn’t really heralded coming out of Xavier. He chased that with a very average rookie year in the NBA. But over the next few summers you could really tell that he worked on his game. West found his niche in the league….using his wide frame at 6’8″ to get boards and finish inside. He also developed his mid-range jumpshot…..too much so. Since his All-Star appearance in 2008 (not counting ’09 when he got the hometown vote in New Orleans), he’s pretty much been a ‘pick-n-pop’ big guy that shuns away from physicality. The most contact he’s had in recent years was when he stuck his finger in Dirk Nowitzki‘s face in a playoff series. And this is a guy who reportedly boxes during the offseason?? come on dogg…..there’s nothing more frustrating to the human race than a bigman who doesn’t play like one. It’s enough to make Bill Walton start stuttering again.

Whether it’s the nagging injuries or the big payday, David West hasn’t been the same player for years now. In fact, if it wasn’t for playing next to Chris Paul he might be fighting Kurt Thomas for minutes somewhere (btw- I’d give the nod to Kurt). And it bugs me because West could be a beast in this league, a perennial All-Star. Now he just gives former power forward Charles Barkley more reason to stare at himself in the mirror every morning and gloat. They just don’t make ‘em like they used to I guess.

No Pacer fans, I don’t think this guy is what you need in your lives. It might look nice ‘on paper’ but that is usually how bad free agent deals begin. I hope Larry Bird lifts his head away from the statsheet long enough to see that this isn’t the best way to spend owner Herb Simon‘s money…..not unless D-West got a heart transplant this summer that we don’t know of. They’re better off with the holdover, young Tyler Hansbrough. He too has a jumper, but plays way tougher and hasn’t been changed by $ or fame.

Oh, and did I mention West is coming off serious knee surgery? Yeah, let’s pass on this one Hoosiers…….

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Default Re: Note to Pacers: David West isnít worth it(from a New Orleans Hornets fan)

For what I've seen of West, I totally agree with this, however he does play very well. I'd be more concerned of his knee and age then his game if I was Larry. I wonder what this person thinks of Landry?

Default Re: Note to Pacers: David West isnít worth it(from a New Orleans Hornets fan)

I'm in agreement. I like Tyler more. He gives us about the same thing, but has more heart and energy as well as being younger and cheaper. Tyler already has a solid jumper, and it is just going to get better as he gets more comfortable.

If they get him, I'll support it, but we'll still be in desperate need of more physicality and aggressiveness for the inside dirty work. Plus West can't play C. Although, that's not say a PF pickup absolutely has to, but it would be nice.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Thank You!

Finally a voice of reason. Just say no to David West.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

David West is devastating in the pick'n'pop. Quite probably the best player in the league at it. He was never as superior doing other stuff as he is with the pick'n'pop - so why should he do it less? Last season he scored 1.03 points per possession in pick'n'pops and 0.94 in post-ups. And I don't see a big difference anyway, West shot-selection has consistently been 2/3 jump-shots since he went to New Orleans and he was never some sort of bruiser. Actually, even as a screener West is more of a finesse player, he's not a physical screener at all, he just has excellent timing rolling of it.

I agree his defensive effort has been uneven and inconsistent though.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Could we please stop compairing Tyler to David West

West is a two time all star, vet with playoff experience and confident enough in his market worth to opt out of a contract already paying him 8M or so per year

Tyler is a young energetic PF that has some nice skills but D West in my opinion, is in a whole different league
    Sittin on top of the world!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could we please stop compairing Tyler to David West

West was a two time all star, vet with playoff experience and confident enough in his market worth to opt out of a contract already paying him 8M or so per year

Tyler is a young energetic PF that has some nice skills but D West in my opinion, is in a whole different league
    He was a two time All Star, he was a good player, we don't know what he is now after the surgery, remember Ebrand when Philly tought the same thing? "Elton Brand is a great player" they didn't know how much worse the surgery was going to make him.

I also remember having this same argument with people about Dunleavy post surgery "Mike Dunleavy is a good player and could score 18ppg again" how that worked out?

NOH fans have a different definition of soft because they didn't have three seasons of Troy Murphy at PF.

I haven't noticed West being soft but this kind of post from a NOH fan concerns me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    NOH fans have a different definition of soft because they didn't have three seasons of Troy Murphy at PF.

I haven't noticed West being soft but this kind of post from a NOH fan concerns me.
    Maybe it's just sour grapes because the guy really wants him to re-sign, but doesn't think he will. Notice I said maybe.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post

To tell you the true I just wanted to know what the NO fans thought about him and the first thing that came up on that blog was this post where the guy is pretty much talking to us.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

I think West new contract will be around 8 - 9 mil per because his age and knee. I just don't see any team paying more then this. His last contract was for him being in his prime at his highest level. The new one is for him exiting his prime. Maybe do a creative contract that's dependent on his knee / performance?

Craps anyone?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    David West is devastating in the pick'n'pop. Quite probably the best player in the league at it.
    This is why I think West is such a good fit, Hibbert will have free range to operate in the paint playing with West, and he will be surrounded by the kind of talent (Granger and West in the front court) to make teams absolutely pay for trying to double him.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo

All I can say is that for any of you fans that soured on Jermaine O'Neal after his knee injuries, David West is not the PF for you.

West also isn't as good a defender or rebounder as JO was. He is a better shooter and finisher in the post but at age 31 and coming off a terrible knee surgery, I'd be very leery about the Pacers signing him. Nene would be a much better option because he offers more size and defense.

With all that said, I wouldn't be upset if the Pacers did sign David West. I just don't see it happening. I also think West will wind up playing in New Jersey with DWill and Brook Lopez.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This is why I think West is such a good fit, Hibbert will have free range to operate in the paint playing with West, and he will be surrounded by the kind of talent (Granger and West in the front court) to make teams absolutely pay for trying to double him.
    I am sorry but I think I hear this before, I think is call "stretching the floor" .....

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I am sorry but I think I hear this before, I think is call "stretching the floor" .....
    Its called spacing and its important but just not as important at the PF position as JOB thought.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    All I can say is that for any of you fans that soured on Jermaine O'Neal after his knee injuries, David West is not the PF for you.
    Totally different knee injuries. Many players tear ACL's and come all the way back from it, West has had plenty of time to recover with the lockout. JO had nagging knee problems that were a consistent hindrance to his game.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I don't want an undersized 4, or a stretch 4, and I don't even want a 4 that who's primary value is that he's the best at the pick n pop.
    I want a 4 that scores most of his points in the paint and alters the defense. West, Milsap nor Landry have never been high on my list for this reason.
    Go after Nene, Gasol or a trade for a big man in this mold and I don't care if he plays center or pf.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

I'm not talking about camping at the three point line because the other team forgot to guard you, ala Troy Murphy. West actually has a diverse offensive game and is a threat to score in many ways, the mid ranger jumper just happens to be his bread and butter.

Stretching the floor is basic basketball 101, its a standard and important concept. Just because JOB thought it was the ONLY concept, doesn't mean it isn't valid.

- ilive4sports

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm not talking about camping at the three point line because the other team forgot to guard you, ala Troy Murphy. West actually has a diverse offensive game and is a threat to score in many ways, the mid ranger jumper just happens to be his bread and butter.

Stretching the floor is basic basketball 101, its a standard and important concept. Just because JOB thought it was the ONLY concept, doesn't mean it isn't valid.
    Don't get me wrong I understand this, the problem is that I don't think we need a PF who's biggest weapon is shoot jumpers, yes that is a good think to have but to me a PF should play inside and should be able to punish and get the other team bigs in foul trouble, West to me is in the same categories with guys like Brand and Boozer, soft jump shooting undersize power forwards who's numbers are good but don't help much at the end.

Don't get me wrong I understand this, the problem is that I don't think we need a PF who's biggest weapon is shoot jumpers, yes that is a good think to have but to me a PF should play inside and should be able to punish and get the other team bigs in foul trouble, West to me is in the same categories with guys like Brand and Boozer, soft jump shooting undersize power forwards who's numbers are good but don't help much at the end.
    If you want Hibbert playing in the post, than having a big who draws defenders away from the basket is a good idea. Ultimately, you want bigs with complimentary skills, not two guys who are going to occupy the same space on the floor.

Its not just that West shoots jumpers, you have to keep in mind how he gets jumpers. He gets them as a function of running the pick and roll, he's an option. Having a pick n pop threat opens up the offense for everyone. This isn't a guy who just camps out like Murph.

- ilive4sports

Mood

So is a big on either low block (which whomever is on the weak side drifting out a bit as necessary) "two guys occupying the same space on the floor"?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not really a fan of West.... gettin up there in age... had some injuries... not the player he used to be. He may be an upgrade over what we have atm (if only slightly), but I don't feel he's going to push us to a new level, and he's going to be costly.

Not a wise move, imo, if our goal is to build a contender.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So is a big on either low block (which whomever is on the weak side drifting out a bit as necessary) "two guys occupying the same space on the floor"?
    Not necessarily. I'm not advocating a pure jump shooter to be our PF, but I would like to see a guy who has a jump shot playing next to Hibbert. I like versatility.

West has a post game too, keep in mind. What I would like to avoid is getting a PF who has no offensive game outside of 5 feet, because ultimately, I think you will see Hibbert drifting out and becoming a jump shooter more often than not. I think that is a waste of his abilities.

- ilive4sports

Banned

If you want Hibbert playing in the post, than having a big who draws defenders away from the basket is a good idea. Ultimately, you want bigs with complimentary skills, not two guys who are going to occupy the same space on the floor.

Its not just that West shoots jumpers, you have to keep in mind how he gets jumpers. He gets them as a function of running the pick and roll, he's an option. Having a pick n pop threat opens up the offense for everyone. This isn't a guy who just camps out like Murph.
    I think Memphis and LA showed that having two big guys together in the same area doesn't really mean that they are in the same space, you can always find ways to make that work, Roy can hit the jumper opening space for the other big guy inside, Roy is also a great passer making it easier to feed the post.

Again if we had a guy like Tyson Chandler, Nene or Noah at center I wouldn't mind getting a guy like West, the problem is that Roy is not Noah, Nene or Chandler so we need to find somebody that complements him.