Thread: Draft Date

Default Draft Date

The draft will begin at noon, Indianapolis time on Sunday December 4th.

Default Re: Draft Date

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The draft will begin at noon, Indianapolis time on Sunday December 4th.
    Not knowing where a lot of players are going to land creates real ambiguities around how productive they might or might not be. Any way to push it down a few more days at least?

I know that the sports.ws style forces us to do it much earlier than a traditional draft.

Most, if not all of the players that should be taken in the first couple of rounds are already on their teams.

The big free agents that are out there are most likely 3rd round picks at best. Using Nene as an example.... we pretty much know what kind of numbers he's gonna post & he should be a starter where ever he lands, so his minutes will be in the mid 30's. What team he plays for will have some impact but I don't feel its enough to move him up or down much.

You're 100% right about the site.

I doubt it will take more than 14 days to complete the draft. That puts us just 1 week before the start of the season, so there's not a big cushion this time.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey Jose. How does the draft work on here? Your above comment has me confused now? Is the draft just one day? 12 rounds? Snake style? I couldn't find anything on the site.

@Pacers24Colts12

order of round 1 is set by computer
    round two is the reverse of round 1

After that I think the order is randomized for the rest of the 12 rounds

The commish can set the amount of time allowed per pick.

In the past we started with no time limit or a high clock like 12 hours for each pick, but then later tried to apply a one hour time limit, and as I recall the system royally goofed and retroactively applied the short time limit and completed the whole draft. Because of this I think we need a constant time limit, even if it is high.

If people fill their contingency lists, or nearly so, it won't go as slowly as you might think.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If people fill their contingency lists, or nearly so, it won't go as slowly as you might think.
    Aha, so there is a way to still pick the guy you want via the system, if you can't be at a computer!?!? Excellent. I plan to be Johnny on the spot, but still nice to know I won't get stuck with some guy I didn't even want.

Any idea when the contingency lists will be active/available? Or am I just no finding them?

When the draft starts the draft tab will be operational.

At that point under the draft tab there is a box to populate with your list of players. If I recall right, think you can have like 30 players on the list. You add players by picking them one at a time off a list, clicking an "add this player" box, and then he goes on your contingency list, which you can rearrange with move this guy up / move this guy down buttons.

For the first half of the draft at least, it's going to be pretty much best player available, or at least until you are lined up to draft your 3rd guard, 3rd forward, or 2nd center, at which point you would likely want to drop down your list a little for a position of need.

It's valid to use your contingency list throughout and just go "best player available" for the whole draft, and balance your roster later through trades. Sounds risky, but if you have good players, they are good assets.

Using the contingency list is very helpful, I think, to keep from reaching and thinking you really need to fill a certain position, beyond the fact that it speeds things up. You need to amass talented, productive players, be able to fill your minutes, and cover for a major injury at any position.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-02-2011 at 01:55 PM.