Thread: Indiana Pacers Preview from Sports Illustrated

Post Indiana Pacers Preview from Sports Illustrated

For the benefit of the people who do not have the magazine but who would like to know what others think about us... Here's the preview. Very interesting actually and some things that we have and haven't mentioned...

What they've got: point guard Darren collison answered lingering questions about his ability to start, averaging 13.5 points and 5.1 assists. Roy hibbert is a rare pure post player, and while Danny granger is overpaid at 12 million he's a consistent 20 ppg player.

What they need: Tyler hansbrough isn't the answer at pf, at least not as a starter. A rival gm expects the pacers to be a front runner for free agent David west (hornets), while Carl Landry (hornets) and Paul milsap (jazz) are on team president Larry Birds radar.

Bottom line: Indiana mare huge strides under rookie coach Frank Vogel, giving Chicago all it could handle in their opening round series. With an established rotation and the likelihood that young players such as 6'8 Paul George and guard George hill, acquired from the spurs, will continue to develop, indiana will be in the hunt for a no. 5 no. 6 seed.

Exact word for word preview. Like the praise of dc and hibbert especially since some people have kinda thrown these players under the bus. Also nice to see where they think well be in the playoffs and that we are even in the playoffs when the seasons over. Don agree about the dg contract I mean melo makes 18 mil Danny for this year is 12 that's a whole mle between them so idk why they would say that.

(also there's a picture of d rose scoring on dg in the playoffs just FYI)

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to 3 8 thee great t h For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Indiana Pacers Preview from Sports Illustrated

Funny, I kind of doubt they would have described Danny as overpaid if Murphleavy were still on our roster sheet.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny, I kind of doubt they would have described Danny as overpaid if Murphleavy were still on our roster sheet.
    I thought that was interesting, too. I thought it was of almost everyone's opinion that we signed Danny to a very fair deal for him and us.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Lol I thought a lot of people would want to see and comment on this but I guess not...oh well. And i agree about the Danny overpaid thing like I stated earlier

man i cant wait!! i wanna se gh3 and PG play soo bad!! i mean they can score, atletic and can play D, whaat else can u ask for from 2 young guys?

Danny is paid what he deserves.

He's not overpaid. Give me a break.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

If Granger is overpaid, then what would you label Gay, Joe Johnson, Deng, Caron Butler....(Who IMO of all on the same relative skill level)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Seems like it was written by someone who watches box scores more than games. The John Schulman Stat Cube article on NBA.com is much more interesting. I'll post a link tomorrow when I've got a computer and not just an iPod.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I just can't wait to get this season started. Can't wait to see Hill in a Pacers uniform. It'll be nice to have a PG who can guard Rose (there's only very few who can).

I am hoping we end games with a back court line up of Hill, Crawford (assuming we sign him) and Granger.

We definitely need some upgrade in our front court. Hansbrough doesn't see like a starter on a contender (which we eventually want to be). But Tyler is that guy who can bring energy off the bench).
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Collison has answered the lingering questions about whether or not he should start. He shouldn't start.

Uninformed writer is uninformed.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Collison has answered the lingering questions about whether or not he should start. He shouldn't start.

Uninformed writer is uninformed.
    Hasty fan is hasty. He was a second year player last year cyclin through multiple coaches, plus he looked great in the playoffs before he got injured. If you don't think he's going to get a chance to prove himself then you're going to be very disappointed.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I thought that was interesting, too. I thought it was of almost everyone's opinion that we signed Danny to a very fair deal for him and us.
    Danny's remaining contract:

2011-12 $12m
    2012-13 $13m
    2013-14 $14m

So Danny averages $13m for the rest of his deal. In comparison, Paul Millsap (a true bargain) averages less than $7m for the next 2 years, thanks to the front-loaded offer sheet Pritchard gave him.

Danny was a bargain when he was making $9m and scoring 25 ppg. Now, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If Granger is overpaid, then what would you label Gay, Joe Johnson, Deng, Caron Butler....(Who IMO of all on the same relative skill level)
    Deng is making just a few hundred k over Granger. Very similar contracts (and yes, similar skill). Caron's last paycheck was for $10.5m. No arguing that JJ and Gay are overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Danny is paid what he deserves.
    Yup, just about. You can quibble with it, but it's in the right ballpark.