Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Josh McRoberts doesn't believe the Pacers will re-sign him...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Josh McRoberts doesn't believe the Pacers will re-sign him...

I'd like to see Jeff and Josh both back but esp. Jeff (he should retire a Pacer). Saying you have 21M in cap space means some people have to go though unless, we can sign them to 1 year deals to meet the salary baseline and to preserve the capspace for next year's crop of FA's.

Are any of our Euro players ready to come over?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly makes no sense. He's 24, would be relatively cheap, from here, fans like him, improving. It's just dumb to not even try and bring him back.
    this.

Remember.....Josh took and missed the shot that blew us having a perfect quarter.
    For this he should be permanently banished from Indiana.

All kidding aside though, I like Josh and what he brings and would be delighted if the
    Pacers could resign him. He plays with lots of flare and is really fun to watch.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I guess we need to see what the market is going to do. If he is available in the 3 million range, maybe we'll decide to resign him.

Be fun to see him on a team like Phoenix or the Knicks.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I suspect a sign and trade of McRoberts. Outside of adding the ability to make an open 3 he really hasnt improved with his time in the NBA. The Pacers need to look elsewhere while they have the chance.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    I suspect a sign and trade of McRoberts. Outside of adding the ability to make an open 3 he really hasnt improved with his time in the NBA. The Pacers need to look elsewhere while they have the chance.
    I know the Pacers for some reason thought that would be a possibility, and discussed trying to send him to New Orleans, probably as part of the Rondo deal.

But tell me, why would he do that when he could just go where he wants to go on his own? What would be the motivation for letting the Pacers decide his future team, when he can make his own decision? The Pacers have absolutely no claim to his rights. It makes no sense.

He's an unrestricted free agent. He has no reason to agree to a sign and trade, if it isn't the best situation for him, just to help the Pacers get a deal. That would be crazy.

The Pacers made it clear that McRoberts isn't high on their priority list, while other teams have made it clear that he is a number one priority. They are planning on David West, and with West and Hansbrough in the fold, there isn't enough minutes and money to go around for Josh. With a new free agent PF coming in, there was never room for both Josh and Tyler. They have made their bed with Hansbrough, and are going to lay in it. That's just part of the business, and he understands it.

He's an Indy guy. He rooted for the Pacers growing up. He wanted to be here, and he intends to make this city his home regardless of what team he's playing for, but the Pacers have made it clear they have other plans. Of course he's disappointed. He had to sit for years and languish on the bench behind inferior players, and then when he finally got a chance to play, he played well and the team was much better when he was on the court. And yet, he lost his starting job last year when he was unfairly made into an escape goat (new favorite term) not once, but twice. They also tried to trade him mid-season, knowing he wanted to be here, so I suppose the writing has been on the wall. Through all of this, he never complained, and remained hopeful of coming back.

I'm still hopeful that the front office will have a change of heart, and he will. I don't understand the thought process of signing a pick-and-pop undersized power forward to complement the pick-and-pop undersized power forward you have on the roster. Why West and Landry would be higher priorities than McRoberts is beyond me. Nene is a whole different kind of player, and would make sense, but McRoberts is a much better fit for this roster than either West or Landry. Unfortunately, for Josh, and in my opinion the Pacers, the front office doesn't see it that way.

Good luck to Josh wherever he ends up.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mackey,

Thank you for that. If I'm Josh there is no way I'm letting the Pacers dictate where I go. He's a free agent, he's earned the right to pick his next stop. I still hope he's back, but I wish him nothing but the best. One of my favorite players and I will cheer for him wherever he goes outside of DET, NY, MIL and CHI, of course.
    Last edited by BPump33; 12-02-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    He had to sit for years and languish on the bench behind inferior players, and then when he finally got a chance to play, he played well and the team was much better when he was on the court. And yet, he lost his starting job last year when he was unfairly made into an escape goat (new favorite term) not once, but twice. They also tried to trade him mid-season, knowing he wanted to be here, so I suppose the writing has been on the wall. Through all of this, he never complained, and remained hopeful of coming back.
    While it was pretty obvious JOB seemed to mess with Josh's head and others on the team you can't forget Josh took himself out of games because of the mental aspect as well. Maybe my memory is clouded but I recall he had a hard time keeping his (bad) emotions in check too and for that you can't blame anyone but Josh.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I don't understand the thought process of signing a pick-and-pop undersized power forward to complement the pick-and-pop undersized power forward you have on the roster. Why West and Landry would be higher priorities than McRoberts is beyond me. Nene is a whole different kind of player, and would make sense, but McRoberts is a much better fit for this roster than either West or Landry.
    I don't put it beyond Bird to use Wells and the media as a diversion. We are hearing West and Landry but Bird may be pursuing Nene, Gasol, Rondo . . . who knows.

Except for mentioning that he had interest in Hibbert (and he may not have been his first choice), Bird's MO seems to never mention the player he is truly interested in.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

13. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I guess we need to see what the market is going to do. If he is available in the 3 million range, maybe we'll decide to resign him.

Be fun to see him on a team like Phoenix or the Knicks.
    Man...if he played with alley-oop throwing PG, he could be a regular on Sportscenter. Josh did throw down a lot of dunks last season where I was like . My favorite was the Granger to McRoberts for the leaner dunk. Another favorite was a dunk against the Nuggets over Chris Anderson.

EDIT: Went to YouTube to watch some of his dunks, but for some reason I don't recall this one....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUF4YjKukMo
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 12-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't expect to see Josh back with the Pacers either. I like him and think he's a good player and teammate but there are better players out there. His post defense is a little on the weak side, not Troy Murphy bad but still average to slightly below average.

I think the Pacers have their eyes on trying to bring in Nene or trade for another player like Josh Smith or Paul Milsap. They also could sign Stanko Barac to play back up Center. They just have better options than Josh McRoberts. If those other options don't work out, I could see them extending an offer to Josh.

He could be a good asset on a team like the Celtics, Lakers, Heat, Warriors, Nets, or Knicks. They're all thin in the frontcourt and could use a guy that has athleticism, decent handles, and passing ability. McRoberts would fit in good with a lot of teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Josh has to be basing this on being included in the potential trade for Mayo, because he has no reason to get his nose out of joint about not being told anything for the last 5 months.

I know the Pacers for some reason thought that would be a possibility, and discussed trying to send him to New Orleans, probably as part of the Rondo deal.

But tell me, why would he do that when he could just go where he wants to go on his own? What would be the motivation for letting the Pacers decide his future team, when he can make his own decision? The Pacers have absolutely no claim to his rights. It makes no sense.

He's an unrestricted free agent. He has no reason to agree to a sign and trade, if it isn't the best situation for him, just to help the Pacers get a deal. That would be crazy.
    Aren't there circumstances still where an S&T nets the player more money or contract than a simple FA signing? Why would Josh refuse more money just because he's upset with the Pacers? Since a player has to agree to an S&T, they'd have to be sending him somewhere he wanted to go.

The Pacers made it clear that McRoberts isn't high on their priority list, while other teams have made it clear that he is a number one priority.
    Which teams have said that getting Josh is a #1 priority for them? Not being snarky here, I just can't recall any reports saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    No GOOD reason it shouldn't be the Pacers, but I guess we will see now. Lord help everyone who doesn't want another PFFL if he has even modest production with another team.
    Is there a price point where you would think twice about keeping Josh? If, as Mackey_Rose says, other teams are going to actively pursue him, what would consist of overpaying for him to keep him? Do we use MLE money on him?

These are serious questions - I like Josh but I have to admit he isn't one of my priorities compared to other slots, and if we need to use him to get a PG or strength-and-size PF I'd have to consider it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose
    I don't understand the thought process of signing a pick-and-pop undersized power forward to complement the pick-and-pop undersized power forward you have on the roster. Why West and Landry would be higher priorities than McRoberts is beyond me. Nene is a whole different kind of player, and would make sense, but McRoberts is a much better fit for this roster than either West or Landry.
    I completely agree with this part, as everybody here knows I haven't been a huge Mcbob fan, I still don't understand what the Pacers are trying to do if in fact the Landry/West rumors are true, why bring a player and pay him big money if he is not going to change the W's compared to Mcbob? are Landry/West really going to make that huge difference? I don't think so.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-02-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Josh has to be basing this on being included in the potential trade for Mayo, because he has no reason to get his nose out of joint about not being told anything for the last 5 months.
    I think he's basing it on what he was told this week. From everything I've heard, until yesterday, he still thought there was a good chance he'd be here.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Aren't there circumstances still where an S&T nets the player more money or contract than a simple FA signing? Why would Josh refuse more money just because he's upset with the Pacers? Since a player has to agree to an S&T, they'd have to be sending him somewhere he wanted to go.
    I'm no CBA expert, so I could be wrong about this, but unless he's getting a max deal, there is no benefit to a sign and trade. New Orleans may have wanted him, but I'm sure they aren't planning on maxing him out.

I'd like for someone who knows more about it to clear this up, but I don't see why there would be any motivation for him to do that.

Which teams have said that getting Josh is a #1 priority for them? Not being snarky here, I just can't recall any reports saying this.
    Not my place to say.

These are serious questions - I like Josh but I have to admit he isn't one of my priorities compared to other slots, and if we need to use him to get a PG or strength-and-size PF I'd have to consider it.
    Unless I'm completely wrong about the CBA, which I probably am, the Pacers have no right to use him to fill any other slots.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    Remember.....Josh took and missed the shot that blew us having a perfect quarter.
    For this he should be permanently banished from Indiana.

All kidding aside though, I like Josh and what he brings and would be delighted if the
    Pacers could resign him. He plays with lots of flare and is really fun to watch.
    He should get resigned by us for being benched for the 4th quarter of a game against Chicago that he was playing GREAT in and making that the FINAL straw in the reign of terror of the former head coach of our team.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Just because a player thinks he's not going to be back with their previous team (Josh, Tyson Chandler, etc.), does not mean that their representation hasn't been in contact with that team.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

S&T could net more money true but Josh isn't in that class of players who would probably be offered more. In general, for Josh's price range (MLE or below) most teams should be able to sign him without our cooperation.

IF the team he's going to is out of exceptions then a S&T may be in order. For example, if that team has already used its MLE on another player. But otherwise I wouldn't expect it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

NetsDaily NetsDaily.com
    New Nets targets listed by beat writers today: Josh McRoberts, Grant Hill, Boki Nachbar and Rasual Butler. All reached Kris Humphries.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Just because a player thinks he's not going to be back with their previous team (Josh, Tyson Chandler, etc.), does not mean that their representation hasn't been in contact with that team.
    Just like any employee that suffers disappointment and falls out of favor with the boss, all you can do is carry yourself forward and be truly professional in every way. Whether or not YOU choose to remain with the organization.

I think, for the most part, Josh has done that.

The only thing that I can think of that might have sent an even stronger message of "Josh wants to be here", would have been if he would have beaten Jeff Foster through the doors to be the first player showing back up at Conseco. If he hasn't shown up and is not hanging with the other players, I would get there.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Just like any employee that suffers disappointment and falls out of favor with the boss, all you can do is carry yourself forward and be truly professional in every way. Whether or not YOU choose to remain with the organization.

I think, for the most part, Josh has done that.

The only thing that I can think of that might have sent an even stronger message of "Josh wants to be here", would have been if he would have beaten Jeff Foster through the doors to be the first player showing back up at Conseco. If he hasn't shown up and is not hanging with the other players, I would get there.
    The Pacers' message was already sent before the doors were reopened.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Not my place to say.
    Fair enough, I just wish folks would tag their insider info so we don't feel like we missed something that we should have seen ourselves.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I doubt if there has ever been a Pacers player who wanted to remain with the Pacers more than Josh. Even Reggie himself flirted with the Knicks and again with the Celtics. I also doubt if there has ever been an NBA player PERIOD who looks up to the likes of Larry Bird, Damon Bailey, and friggin Jimmy Chitwood more than Josh McRoberts does.

But whatever, get his 24 year old highly talented, non-complaining FANNY outta here and let's get some more guys who will play no D and get arrested down at the Classy Chassy.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hall O'Point For This Useful Post:

I still think it's possible that McRoberts could agree to a S&T. No, there's really no clear incentive to do so. However, a job's a job, and I'm not sure if McRoberts is going to have the option to be too picky with his next destination, as he's good..but not that good. If the Pacers and another team approached him on a S&T, and the money was good, I don't see why'd he'd necessarily turn that down.

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by Hall O'Point View Post
    But whatever, get his 24 year old highly talented, non-complaining FANNY outta here and let's get some more guys who will play no D and get arrested down at the Classy Chassy.
    So assuming TPTB don't see McBoB in the Pacers future, that means they want a team full of criminals?

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Wouldn't Josh be good in an offense that runs the triangle and requires the big man to be able to read the defense and make the right pass? I think his skills could be very valuable in another offense, although I certainly would like to see him back, if only to have a player that can make an exciting play from time to time.