Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Josh McRoberts doesn't believe the Pacers will re-sign him...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Josh McRoberts doesn't believe the Pacers will re-sign him...

Him and Foster backing up big Roy is a nice 1-2 punch off the bench! The only reason we wouldn't resign him is if another team outbids us for him.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I think if he came back to the Pacers, it could help end his career. I think there will be better opportunities out there for Josh to get more playing time and continue improving his game. If, he comes back here, I would fear that he would get splinters and that spells doom. If Hans wasn't here, no doubt Josh would have already been resigned.

I Absolutley Love Josh, his passion, his gracefulness for a big is rare, plus he is a Hoosier. But, I truely think he'd be better off where he will be needed more.

edit: This is based on us getting drastic improvements.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 12-01-2011 at 09:48 PM.

It would be really cool if the Pacers could have several players from Indiana on the team. Josh has turned into an easy guy to root for.

However he isn't the long term answer. I think the goal is to make Tyler the 6th man and Josh doesn't do that.

I have no problem bringing Josh back for another year. The Pacers have to try their best to upgrade the PF position though.

I hope Josh lands in the right situation though.

I'll admit, I'm going to really miss Josh as a person and a player.

His ability to dunk the way he did was incredible (as gif in Steagles' signature shows). He was a great guy and loved playing in Indy again.

But it's the smart thing to not bring him back and try and expand that position as Tyler is much more part of the core than Josh.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Josh McRoberts: McBob doesn't feel wanted by Pacers
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=163609&spln=1

Unrestricted free agent Josh McRoberts told Indianapolis radio host JMV on Thursday that he doesn't feel like the Pacers want him to return this season.
    McBob, an Indy native, had some nice games last season and is sure to be a solid role player for someone this year. However, it doesn't sound like he'll be staying home in Indiana for long.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Man that's sad. I hope he gets a chance somewhere, (would rather it be here) his highlight reel passing and dunking was a thing of beauty. I wouldn't count us out on not signing him. It could just be that we're not going to get in a bidding war with ourselves and let the market determine the value. Or, it could be like some of you are suggesting and we are in fact planning on upgrading the PF spot. Even so I wouldn't have minded keeping him as a 14th/15th man for depth, but that's not what's best for Josh.

I like Josh backing up Roy. So far we haven't found anyone better.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Josh backing up Roy. So far we haven't found anyone better.
    Jeff is more than likely coming back.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Let's wait and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Let's wait and see what happens.
    What's our other option?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

In closing, his time here was..... not irrelevant.

Josh was a big part of our great start last season, but some where along the way he started chucking wide open 3's when ever he got the chance and stopped doing what was need of him which was rebounding and facilitating.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 12-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    So far we haven't found anyone better.
    ..... the NBA isn't even open for business yet, how could we?

Whatever you think of the two players, Hansbrough and McRoberts are best suited for a role off the bench. Some may prefer one to the other, and I can at least understand arguments for both.

There have been days I liked both, and days when I was mystified with both.

But two things set Hansbrough apart for me. First, his name just brings a little more attention, and I think that's something this franchise desperately needs still.

Two, Hansbrough's consistent energy is better suited to that bench role. He's aggressive, almost to a fault sometimes. As he improves, the fault part should fade away. He can pull a team out of a rut from time to time.

McRoberts' skills are more complementary, and I guess that's just not what I'd prefer for the role.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

Josh was a big part of our great start last season, but some where along the way he started chucking wide open 3's when ever he got the chance and stopped doing what was need of him which was rebounding and facilitating.
    You use this word way too liberally.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Drafting Jrue Holiday might have solved this dilemma.

I love Mcroberts, but fact is, we have two PF's who are ideal backups, and we need an upgrade. Hansbrough is a bigger impact player, although Josh brings a lot to the table. In a different situation, I love Mcbob as our backup PF for years to come, but might not be the smartest decision right now.

If we sign him, we sign him to be third string, and he's better than that. He should do what's best for him.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    You use this word way too liberally.
    Not really, look at the game logs, in the month of December he doubled his 3pt attempts (30) over November (15). Teams started giving him that shot because the game film and stats proved that he couldn't make them at a regular clip. Thus Josh found himself out of position offensively. This was also about the time the Pacers started having very slow starts.

Somebody should have told him that any wide open shot is not the best shot to take.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post

He has no business playing center, either. Foster was the only one on the team that could consistently defend the position.

Rather put resources to a real backup center and/or starting-caliber power forward. McRoberts qualifies as neither.

YES YES YES!

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

The innovative, genius ex-coach encouraged that. Not Josh's fault. Ol' Paulie Walnuts should have had Josh focusing on improving his strength and interior moves, but had him emphasize development of his 3-point shooting instead. Josh shot more threes because he needed be an f'in stretch forward to get playing time.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

I agree that this doesn't make a lot of sense. Not just from a need and fit standpoint, but also from a fan interest one. The impact may not be significant, but I'm sure there were people that gained interest in the team due to Josh's connection to the state. Granted, we got George Hill so that very well could make up the difference and then some, but I still think McRoberts was a draw.

McRoberts is probably my fav Pacer. His athleticism and passing ability is just flat out fun to watch and it seems the offense just flows so much better when he's on the court. If he develops a mid range shot and maybe a bit more confidence I still see his ceiling higher than Tyler's. I think the Pacers will regret it down the road if they let him go but if it means better opportunity to develop his game maybe it's for the best. Personally I would keep him over Tyler but I know Larry doesn't see it that way. It is hard to argue against Tyler with the tenacity he brings. Whatever happens I just hope Josh becomes the player that he has the potential to be.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Same here Presto123 ..

Out of all the Pacers players, there are just some that I flat out don't want to see go, whether by trade or not being re-signed....

In no particular order this is my "fan favorites", whom I'd either be crushed, or saddened and/or disappointed if they were shipped out .. Because we have grown very fond of them and also, I know, it will come back to bite us in our collective a**es and interject feelings of regret seeing them grow into a very good player or possible all-star on ANOTHER TEAM.

1. Roy Hibbert
    2. Paul George
    3. Josh McRoberts
    4. Danny Granger
    5. Tyler Hansbrough (aka "The Flailing Weirdo")
    6. Jeff Foster (Jeff is on this list because I want him to play here as long as he is healthy and still bringing it..then retire a Pacer like he wants to do. )

And, although not on my list .. Lance Stephenson

I REALLY want to see what this kid can do, given at least 12-15 minutes per game consistantly every game.. And depending on chemistry,how well he responds will dictate his minutes and if they rise, his defined role, and importance (if any) to the team and winning..

This shortened, fast paced season would be the perfect baptism by-fire for Lance.
    Bottom line, we need to see if he is gonna be as good as some of us (most notably Larry Bird) believe that he is ..

I personally believe from a basketball standpoint, that if Lance were to switch places with John Wall right now, and had everything (the team) given to him on a silver platter (like Wall was), that everyone would be talking about how awesome he was too... lol

It would be very wise to do this before his contract is up..
    and very very stupid to give him away as filler in a trade scenerio..
    So stupid in fact, I don't want to even contemplate it ..lol
    Last edited by Kemo; 12-02-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Signing an overpriced prick at the 4 and letting Josh go, I can see that happening, easy, it standard MO.

Thinking that signing also solved the backup 5, and not re-signing Jeff, see above

Keeping Tyler, because you drafted him yourself and would never admit there's (much) better out there, see above

Josh's ceiling is higher then Tyler, no doubt, Josh would come cheap because he would take less here then elsewhere for the honour of playing in Indy, Josh would take 2 for the team at anytime.

Not re-signing Josh, capital blunder
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Like most have said, this really makes no sense imo especially considering he likely wouldn't command that big of a contract.

Mood

Hopefully some other team does not offer Josh a contract that we would not match. I see him as that end of bench energy guy that plays 10-15 minutes per night at both 4 and 5 spots depending on match-ups. If someone offers up a fattened contract to him we just need to thank him for his years here and move on. I like the guy but not at the expense of possibly getting that impact player we need.

I'd like to see Josh back.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!