Thread: Pacers 2012 Salary Cap Breakdown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers 2012 Salary Cap Breakdown

This is a breakdown of the Pacers cap space for the 2012 off-season, as the roster stands today.

Under contract:

Danny Granger - $13,058,606
    Lance Stephenson - $915,243 (Non-guaranteed)

Subtotal - $13,973,849

Total - $13,973,849

Player Option:

Dahntay Jones - $2,900,000

Subtotal - $2,900,000

Total - $16,873,849

Team Option:

Tyler Hansbrough - $3,055,259
    Paul George - $2,574,120
    Darren Collison - $2,319,344

Subtotal - $7,948,723

Total - $24,822,572

Cap Holds:

James Posey - $11,393,400
    Brandon Rush - $8,869,974
    Roy Hibbert - $7,765,770
    George Hill - $6,259,077
    A.J Price - $854,389

Subtotal - $35,142,610

Total - $59,965,182

Important note: A player's cap hold will only count against a team's available cap space if they intend to re-sign that particular free agent. Teams can "renounce" a player in order to get rid of their cap hold, but this also forfeits that teams ability to use Bird Rights to re-sign the player (the ability to go over the salary cap when re-signing a player).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pacers will most certainly renounce their Bird Rights to James Posey and Brandon Rush, which would free up $20,263,374. I would assume that the Pacers will keep their Bird Rights to Roy Hibbert and George Hill, and possibly the rights to A.J Price as well. These moves would bring us to a cap figure of $39,701,808 which would give us $18,342,192 of cap space under the $58,044,000 Salary cap. This is only if the Pacers do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING until the 2012 off-season. Those of you advocating a signing of David West or Nene need to realize that we will NOT be able to offer a max contract to a free agent next season if we do so.

I agree with everything that Bird and the front office are doing. We cannot overspend on a weak free agent class and essentially take ourselves out of the running during a very good free agent class.

Edit: If the Pacers were to renounce their Bird Rights to George Hill, Roy Hibbert, and A.J Price along with amnestying D. Jones they would get their cap figure down to $21,922,572. This would provide us with $36,121,428 in cap space, which would cover TWO max contracts for players with 7-9 years of experience ($34,826,400 total). This means we COULD POTENTIALLY sign Dwight Howard and Chris Paul/Deron Williams.
    Last edited by D0NT SH0OT ME; 12-02-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers Salary Cap outlook for 2012 off-season.

You could amnesty D-Jones and add another 3 million in cap room.

Also, if you think you have a shot at a max guy, you could always renounce the rights to George Hill. It is possible. That would offset the money you pay a guy like West now.

Its not likely, but if D-Will were to consider coming here, I'd be ok with letting Hill go...

Point is, if the Pacers really wanted to do it, they could.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 12-01-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice breakdown.

One thing that you also have to remember, is that we will have two draft picks that will require a cap hold as well. So that will probably give us more like $16M.

If we used the amnesty on DJones, that would bring us up to $19.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, George Hill we could sign for probably less than his Cap Hold I would figure. So we could look to extend both Hibbert and Hill and probably be right in line with that $19M figure still. Or a little bit less.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Looking at the 2012 Unrestricted FAs, Im not seeing anyone outside of Paul, DWilliams, and DHoward tat I would want more than Nene. You think these 3 would want to sign with Indiana? They are likely making plans to join contenders before the summer. Some good Restricted FAs, but likely those will be matched. I dont think there is a realistic acquisition in 2012 thats better for our team than Nene.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's spend 14 million dollars on Nene.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

We may not be great contenders to acquire a max player, but we will still have some space to work with.

I wonder if people still aren't happy with Collison next season, if they wouldn't consider someone like Jameer Nelson an upgrade in 2012? He will be available and affordable to us.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We may not be great contenders to acquire a max player, but we will still have some space to work with.

I wonder if people still aren't happy with Collison next season, if they wouldn't consider someone like Jameer Nelson an upgrade in 2012? He will be available and affordable to us.
    Or Raymond Felton.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    You could amnesty D-Jones and add another 3 million in cap room.

Also, if you think you have a shot at a max guy, you could always renounce the rights to George Hill. It is possible. That would offset the money you pay a guy like West now.

Its not likely, but if D-Will were to consider coming here, I'd be ok with letting Hill go...

Point is, if the Pacers really wanted to do it, they could.

I was trying to paint a basic picture of what our situation is, with as few "maybes" as possible. Renouncing our Bird rights to Posey and Rush, if they are even on the team at that point in the future, is almost a given. Retaining our rights to Hibbert and Hill also is pretty much a given.

You are correct that we may very well amnesty Jones, but at this point and time I would not say it is probable (over a 50% chance). There are so many other possibilities that I just left him on the breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Nice breakdown.

One thing that you also have to remember, is that we will have two draft picks that will require a cap hold as well. So that will probably give us more like $16M.

If we used the amnesty on DJones, that would bring us up to $19.
    This is just a breakdown of what we currently have on the team. If we do draft two players that will most likely cost us another $4-$5 million in cap space, but it is far from a sure thing that we will still be in possession of both, yet alone one, of those draft picks come free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Also, George Hill we could sign for probably less than his Cap Hold I would figure. So we could look to extend both Hibbert and Hill and probably be right in line with that $19M figure still. Or a little bit less.
    I would try to extend Hill before free agency. As for Hibbert I think he will command a deal worth $1-$2 million more than his cap hold, so I would try to sign someone for the max before I re-sign Hibbert.
    Last edited by D0NT SH0OT ME; 12-01-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Honestly if we signed Nene I would not even worry about signing a Max guy in 2012 FA, Because we'll be trading both Granger and DC next year for a Stud Point Guard or Eric Gordon.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Granger with a lower salary and a max player > Nene with a max salary and a max player... But there's no point of even arguing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    Looking at the 2012 Unrestricted FAs, Im not seeing anyone outside of Paul, DWilliams, and DHoward tat I would want more than Nene. You think these 3 would want to sign with Indiana? They are likely making plans to join contenders before the summer. Some good Restricted FAs, but likely those will be matched. I dont think there is a realistic acquisition in 2012 thats better for our team than Nene.

All three? No, we don't have the cap space for that. But two of them? Possibly.

Mood

Default Re: Pacers 2012 Salary Cap Breakdown

I would rather take the option of West/Nene whichever is easier on the wallet. I am a West person myself and if we can get his contract at a reasonable rate I would love to see West in a pacers jersey. Now if we could also somehow land Rondo without giving up our young core I would be happier than ever. Maybe see if we could flip an expiring and a draft pick for him. Other than the top three or four guys in this 2012 class I don't see anyone I would prefer over them.