Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 85

Thread: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Pacers Indiana Pacers
    Larry Bird & David Morway will speak to the media tomorrow at 11am. Stay tuned to Pacers.com as more info becomes available.

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/larry_bird...011_11_30.html
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-01-2011 at 07:48 AM.

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    I'm so happy this gag order is going away. This is probably a general comment, welcome back, answer what Q's they can kind of a presser, and I'm looking forward to it!

  4. #3
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Meh, I understand why you are excited for the return of the NBA, but stuff like this usually doesn't excite me. I expect:

    "We're happy to have the deal done, we're real excited to be back and sorry about putting the fans through that. And we're gonna try to do a lot of things to help this ball club a lot."

    I guess part of me wonders if any other clubs are doing this because frankly I think "the deal is done" news took care of this. We know they didn't want to be on lockout, we know they are happy to be back and every year Larry says he's trying to do a lot of things to make the team better.

    I'm not mad, but I do wish we could save pressers for real news. Who knows, maybe they are about to throw me a curveball.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,326

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meh, I understand why you are excited for the return of the NBA, but stuff like this usually doesn't excite me. I expect:

    "We're happy to have the deal done, we're real excited to be back and sorry about putting the fans through that. And we're gonna try to do a lot of things to help this ball club a lot."

    I guess part of me wonders if any other clubs are doing this because frankly I think "the deal is done" news took care of this. We know they didn't want to be on lockout, we know they are happy to be back and every year Larry says he's trying to do a lot of things to make the team better.

    I'm not mad, but I do wish we could save pressers for real news. Who knows, maybe they are about to throw me a curveball.
    Maybe they're of the opinion Larry Legend's face on the local news saying saying "can't wait to get this Pacers season started on Christmas" resonates with the elusive "casual fan?"

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,986

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    JMV keeps saying that Bird and Morey will be on his show tomorrow as well.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,326

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JMV keeps saying that Bird and Morey will be on his show tomorrow as well.
    We stole Daryl Morey from the Rockets? I bet watching him and Bird talk basketball would be one of the funniest NBA conversations ever.

    Morey: But Chuck Hayes had almost .2 wins produced per 48 minutes! A total rebound rate of 17! His usage rate is so low he's surprised when he gets the ball on offense!

    Larry: ...blank stare...

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,986

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Morway*** Sorry.

  13. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IN
    Posts
    544
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Hopefully they just announce that Brandon Rush will not be on the team this year.


    @Pacers24Colts12

  14. #9
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDanimal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully they just announce that Brandon Rush will not be on the team this year.
    Hopefully they will announce that we have a PG that can help Brandon Rush be the player he should be.

    As for the news conference, I'm sure it is just a "HEY WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE GOING TO BE MAKING SOME MOVES OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS THAT WE HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS, SO PAY ATTENTION NOW TO GET THE BALL ROLLING FOR MUCH BETTER ATTENDANCE THIS YEAR".
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully they will announce that we have a PG that can help Brandon Rush be the player he should be.

    As for the news conference, I'm sure it is just a "HEY WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE GOING TO BE MAKING SOME MOVES OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS THAT WE HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS, SO PAY ATTENTION NOW TO GET THE BALL ROLLING FOR MUCH BETTER ATTENDANCE THIS YEAR".
    The player he should be is the player he is, I think everyone thinks he has tons of potential besides him, no PG will help that, he is the only one who will ever be able to make that change, and I doubt it will ever happen.

    He will be the same player for the rest of his career.
    Why so SERIOUS

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Pacers rock Winner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    185

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Let's hope they announce a trade as well tomorrow.

  19. #12
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The player he should be is the player he is, I think everyone thinks he has tons of potential besides him, no PG will help that, he is the only one who will ever be able to make that change, and I doubt it will ever happen.

    He will be the same player for the rest of his career.
    I disagree on the outcome you purport. I do agree that he will be the only one that can make him better. His situation could improve drastically though. Maybe by working in an offense that does more than relegate you to Peja Stojakovic in his 18th year over in the corner of the offense, with no PG to initiate an offense well enough to utilize you. The kid has game and I think his issues are internal over the same frustrations many of us have felt since he has been drafted. He is the one that can improve his own game, but he can't control that the basketball schemes were a terrible fit for him.

    I feel the exact same way about Hibbert and McRoberts. They just don't get crucified around here because they weren't the ones failing p*ss tests. Hopefully Brandon will mature into a better basketball player and better person. I can almost guarantee it won't be around here unless we see a turnaround in the way he is utilized this year and hopefully his frustrations wane. I am all for bringing back McRoberts, because I think he could be so much better with Vogel as his coach. Same with Hibbert.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree on the outcome you purport. I do agree that he will be the only one that can make him better. His situation could improve drastically though. Maybe by working in an offense that does more than relegate you to Peja Stojakovic in his 18th year over in the corner of the offense, with no PG to initiate an offense well enough to utilize you. The kid has game and I think his issues are internal over the same frustrations many of us have felt since he has been drafted. He is the one that can improve his own game, but he can't control that the basketball schemes were a terrible fit for him.

    I feel the exact same way about Hibbert and McRoberts. They just don't get crucified around here because they weren't the ones failing p*ss tests. Hopefully Brandon will mature into a better basketball player and better person. I can almost guarantee it won't be around here unless we see a turnaround in the way he is utilized this year and hopefully his frustrations wane. I am all for bringing back McRoberts, because I think he could be so much better with Vogel as his coach. Same with Hibbert.
    Just for the sake of discussion, how would you change around the way that these 3 players are used on our team, while incorporating the players that we current have as contributors along with them?
    Why so SERIOUS

  22. #14
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for the sake of discussion, how would you change around the way that these 3 players are used on our team, while incorporating the players that we current have as contributors along with them?
    I would start by running McRoberts in the pick and roll constantly. I would give him free reign to take one dribble and shoot or one dribble on his drive. I wouldn't want him making several dribbles while guarded because that isn't a strength. I would let him run the fast break though. His high handles are easily picked, but that isn't a problem in the open court. I would run WAY more big to big picks down low with McRoberts, Foster, Hibbert, and Hansborough. These picks often times open up guys for easy buckets, which we NEED from the post.

    Rush I would have moving off of picks and playing the high wing. Rush I NEED to be setting up Hibbert in the low block and moving off of that more consistently. Rush does a terrific job working with the big to get one or both open. That needs to happen more frequently, especially with Brandon's defense, which I am almost always a proponent of more defensive pressure.

    Granger, needs to be more of a weakside threat who can move into the high post and crash the glass more (same with Paul). Granger playing the weakside allows him to run PnR off the weak side which will help him get open or leaves open space for him to get more dribble drive-pull up jumpers with a lesser big closing. I would actually make the right side of the court the weakside and leave Granger (and PG) there, and Post Hibbert to the left side as the strong side. It gives Hibbert more opportunity to open up his shooting hand in his low post moves. Or pass around double teams with his strong hand.

    I would also post the hell out of Hansborough when he is in the game, and make him pass out of it (may be some learning curves but will be good long-term). Players will want to over-collapse on him just to hit him back. Hansborough needs to stay as close to the glass as possible, because that is where his toughness is needed. He (and McRoberts/Foster) would be playing more of a "high post-in" with his movements. And I certainly would ask for more dribble penetration from our PGs to facilitate that movement.

    I think there was too much priority on weakside passing for a team void of primary scorers. There needed to be more of a focus on getting a good look early in the shot clock and then vary the offense if that doesn't present itself. I think Vogel had a lot of the right ideas when he took over. Hibbert was in the post more and rotations were much better. We went away from having so many soft cuts to the interior by guards.

    I would give Stephenson more burn with guys like Rush, PG, McRoberts and Foster, who struggle to score on the second team. Let them run and run alot. We might turn the ball over some, but I guarantee it will help our depth be successful.

    Hill is the one that I am most excited about on this roster. I think he has the breadth of talent to run point for us and get us into the proper sets offensively. He needs to look to score off the dribble a bit more here than he did in SA, but I think he knows this and will be capable of it. He really needs to get into a groove with how Granger likes to move without the ball.... er... well Granger will have to start moving without the ball more. But I think if they can develop a bit of a two man game where they can work one side of the defense they will keep teams off balance. I would love to see Granger, George, and Hill also work in the post some to keep matchups versatile.

    I would run a lot more double screens from our bigs in the paint to make our perimeter to perimeter cuts. I think this will open our bigs and guards to get position that we typically struggle to obtain through footwork and size. This is where our scoring and passing can finally become effective in the way that would utilize our talent. We don't have the guys who can get to the spot on the floor at will that they can score from or make the scoring pass. I am not a coach, so I hope this makes sense.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow


  25. #16
    HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    It would be fun if Larry would drop a bombshell on us, but I think we all know he won't.

    We all want to hear, "We've put together a deal with the Magic to bring Dwight Howard here in exchange for Brandon Rush. We're excited to have Dwight here and we think he'll be a good player who can help us win some ballgames."

    We all know we'll hear, "We've got a lot of money to spend in a short free agency period. We've been having some discussions. We had a 3 year plan, and we are at the end of that plan now. We want to make the right moves to help us get further in the playoffs. That's what we're trying to do going forward."

  26. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Jeff Foster just arrived at the field house a good sign he will be back
    http://twitter.com/#!/Pacers/status/...239682/photo/1

    http://www.twitvid.com/5HWYR



    Lance is also coming in today

    Hoya2aPacer Roy Hibbert
    Getting ready to go work out with the Wiz at the Verizon Center. Then pack to go back to Indy. I'm going going back back to Indy!!!!
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-01-2011 at 09:12 AM.

  27. #18
    HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Anyone else think it's strange that he would work out with another team? Not that I think he's getting traded, or being a traitor, or anything like that. I understand Roy has lots of ties with the DC area. But it just seems weird that they would let him come practice with them? Seems like we are close to the season now, and it's time to draw the dividing lines?

  28. #19
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Hoya2aPacer Roy Hibbert
    Getting ready to go work out with the Wiz at the Verizon Center. Then pack to go back to Indy. I'm going going back back to Indy!!!!
    I love Roy...

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:


  30. #20
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else think it's strange that he would work out with another team? Not that I think he's getting traded, or being a traitor, or anything like that. I understand Roy has lots of ties with the DC area. But it just seems weird that they would let him come practice with them? Seems like we are close to the season now, and it's time to draw the dividing lines?
    Nah. DC is his home. He's going to be there anyway, and I want him to practice. I'd rather he practice against NBA guys than 5' 10" overweight white guys. Looks to me like he's getting back to Indy as soon as he could.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:


  32. #21
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,986

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    No. In fact, I think all teams open their facilities to other players when they are in town.

    The Wizards coaching staff can't actually coach any of the players until the 9th, so it's going to basically be pickup games, I would imagine.

  33. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Winner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's hope they announce a trade as well tomorrow.
    Im pretty sure they cant make trades yet until the CBA is official.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,165

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im pretty sure they cant make trades yet until the CBA is official.

    Seems kind of pointless having a presser right now then. Why not just wait until something has actually been done concerning the roster?

  36. #24
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems kind of pointless having a presser right now then. Why not just wait until something has actually been done concerning the roster?
    To keep the Pacers and NBA on top of the news cycle? To take advantage of the current buzz? To actually come out and SAY things like they are excited for the year and are sorry how long it took to get here but that it will be worthwhile in the end?

    Don't take for granted how important this kind of exposure is to fans who haven't been following PD on an hourly basis all summer and fall.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,986

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird presser 11 am tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems kind of pointless having a presser right now then. Why not just wait until something has actually been done concerning the roster?
    They're just trying to rally the fan base, as little as it may be. By getting out in the public eye, and being able to openly talk Pacer basketball for the first time in 7-8 months, gets the Pacers back in the press for something positive.

  39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Kravitz end of the season sit down with Bird..
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
  2. AP: "Pacers Owner To Keep Bird as Team President"
    By GizzyStardust in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
  3. Kravitz: O'Brien's Fate Rests on Defense
    By Putnam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 04:32 PM
  4. Sunday articles out of Detroit
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 01:39 PM
  5. So many fun articles out of New York
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •