Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59

Thread: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,603

    Default Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1f97ynxss

    When ESPN.com reported on Tuesday that the Celtics would be willing to trade point guard Rajon Rondo for the right player, it surprised anyone who had seen the sixth-year player's mastery of the team's system in recent years.

    But according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, Boston general manager Danny Ainge is highly motivated to land an even better point guard than the one who led the Celtics to a championship in 2008 and an average of 58.5 wins in the last four seasons: New Orleans' Chris Paul.

    Ainge, the sources say, has recently discussed trading Rondo in a deal that nets Paul, but the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo -- who has four years worth approximately $46 million left on his contract -- and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been on the prowl for a third team that could provide the sort of young pieces Hornets general manager Dell Demps would covet as part of his possible rebuilding plan. The more pressing question, of course, is whether Paul, who can become a free agent after this season, would consider signing an extension with Boston.

    While ESPN reports that New York tops Paul's wish list because of the chance to form a Big Three with Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony, Paul would have a chance to take the Big Four -- joining Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen -- to a new level in Beantown. Without Paul agreeing to an extension, however, the sources say Ainge will not do the deal.

    Intriguing as the Celtics possibility might be, the challenge for Ainge would be selling the 26-year-old Paul on the idea of joining a group of future Hall of Famers with an average age of 35. While Pierce is under contract through 2014, Garnett's and Allen's deals end after this season. What's more, Boston is merely one of the many teams who will be making a serious attempt to land Paul this season.

    Paul, who will make $16.4 million this season and has a $17.8 million player option in 2012-13, is widely expected to turn down a forthcoming extension offer from New Orleans. If and when that occurs, it is believed that the Hornets -- who have just five players under contract currently and hardly look like the sort of championship contender Paul wants to be a part of -- will trade him at some point in order to avoid losing him for nothing in return next summer.

    The Hornets add a unique element on their own as well: They are owned by the NBA, which has led to the question of whether it would prefer Paul stays put. The league bought the team for $310 million last December and the franchise value would almost certainly take a hit if the popular Paul departs. He has long been hailed as a local hero, a classy member of the community and more than capable athlete who arrived at the toughest of times in New Orleans. Paul was drafted fourth overall by the Hornets out of Wake Forest in 2005, just two months before Hurricane Katrina hit and the team played its next two seasons in Oklahoma City before returning.

    This isn't the first time Ainge has attempted to make a bold move to improve his already formidable core. In February of 2010, he tried to acquire then Kings shooting guard Kevin Martin in a deal that was expected to include Allen. Four months later, the Celtics were falling to the Lakers in a seven-game NBA Finals for the ages.

    While front-office executives have not been able to talk to agents or players during the lockout, they could talk to each other about possible deals. No deals can actually be done until the collective bargaining agreement has been officially ratified, which is expected to take place in time to start training camp and free agency on Dec. 9. The regular season is expected to start on Christmas Day.

    Paul addressed questions about his future at the Boys & Girls Club event in, of all places, New York on Tuesday.

    "I try not to pay attention to all that different type of stuff," Paul told reporters. "My heart is in New Orleans and right now the reason I'm here in New York is for [Anthony].

    "I know I'm just happy to be here and be a part of it, to give these boxes out to the needy families and then going over to the [Five-Star Basketball] Clinic and seeing the smiles on the kids' faces when we show up."

    He would certainly put a smile on Ainge's face if he saw Boston as a worthy destination.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    New Orleans would be looking to ship Rondo off for young pieces, huh?

    Very interesting...

  4. #3
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,217
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Who on earth is going to help Boston land Chris Paul by throwing their young assets in a deal so New Orleans can get those assets AND Rondo?

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,286

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix
    Worth repeating though that the NBA wants no part of a Paul trade, not with the league office signing off on all major decisions.
    13 minutes ago
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who on earth is going to help Boston land Chris Paul by throwing their young assets in a deal so New Orleans can get those assets AND Rondo?
    I may have misread it, but I thought they were saying Rondo would be forwarded to a third team, who would send young (and cheap) "assets" to New Orleans.

  9. #6
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,585

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who on earth is going to help Boston land Chris Paul by throwing their young assets in a deal so New Orleans can get those assets AND Rondo?


    Would the Hornets be getting Rondo or would they be getting the young pieces with Rondo going to the third team?

  10. #7
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Paul to the Celtics... wow
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  11. #8
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Either way, I would want the Pacers to stay out of this...

  12. #9
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,217
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    If I'm giving up Chris Paul, I'm taking Rondo but I guess I could have taken it wrong.

  13. #10
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,286

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    New Orleans needs to have an owner first.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  14. #11
    Member D0NT SH0OT ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Secret
    Posts
    455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    I don't get three team trades like this. If a third team were interested in becoming involved in this trade, why wouldn't they just trade directly for the superior player, in this case Paul?

  15. #12
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,585

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Would Paul even sign an extension right now with the Celtics? Yeah, they would have a chance this season and maybe next, but the big three are getting up there. In a few years the three of them will be about finished. I think he wants to play in New York badly. Melo and Amare certainly have a lot more years left in the tank than the Celtics Big 3.

  16. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by D0NT SH0OT ME View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get three team trades like this. If a third team were interested in becoming involved in this trade, why wouldn't they just trade directly for the superior player, in this case Paul?
    In this scenario, it'd be because Paul's picky about where he wants to go once his contract is up. Boston is a place he could sign long-term, but, say, Indiana? Probably Almost certainly not.

  17. #14

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    depends on whether he wants to win or wants to play with his friends.

    He's got a heck of a better shot of winning with an aging Ray, Pierce, and Garnett, than Amare and Melo.

  18. #15

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    The only way I'd trade for Paul if I was any team is if he immediately agreed to an extension. That's why, objectively speaking, I don't think it's a good idea for Boston to trade for him. They'd be making a gamble that could ultimately result in a loss of assets.

    It's the same reason why I thought it was foolish for the Nets to trade good assets (Favors, 2011 unprotected 1st) for Deron Williams without an extension (or at least his guarantee that he would sign one).

  19. #16
    Member D0NT SH0OT ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Secret
    Posts
    455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In this scenario, it'd be because Paul's picky about where he wants to go once his contract is up. Boston is a place he could sign long-term, but, say, Indiana? Probably Almost certainly not.

    I think he just wants to go to a team that can be a contender, and I think the Pacers w/Paul fit that description. Regardless any team that is able (and willing) to offer the pieces NO seems to be asking for would probably be a team very much like the Pacers, a team with young talent most likely on the verge of becoming a perennial playoff team that just needs to make a few moves to get there. For the Pacers (and any other team in a similar situation) I think that Paul would be a much better acquisition.


    With that said if I am wrong and Paul is only interested in playing for a large market team and not just a contender then acquiring Rondo would obviously be a much better decision. It all rests on where Paul prefers to play really.

  20. #17
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    These are the types of deals we should be getting our nose in. Does someone need to us to handle our contract/player in exchange for picks/young players? No prob! We can do that!

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  22. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Would they take AJ Price and second round pick for Rondo?

  23. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are the types of deals we should be getting our nose in. Does someone need to us to handle our contract/player in exchange for picks/young players? No prob! We can do that!
    Exactly. It's how Dumars built a winner. Later, when he tried to sign stars, he built a loser.

    The trading block is far more likely to improve the team than a free agent signing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  25. #20
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,529

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ChrisMannixSI Chris Mannix
    Worth repeating though that the NBA wants no part of a Paul trade, not with the league office signing off on all major decisions.
    13 minutes ago
    So, by choosing not to explore any trade that would send CP3 to the Celtics or any other Team....does the League's inaction pretty much means that they are forcing the rest of the League to either accept a trade of CP3 from the Hornets to the Knicks ( specifically the ONLY Team that CP3 will voluntarily go to ) this season OR ( better yet ) let CP3 choose to leave New Orleans after the 2011-2012 season via FA while leaving the Hornets empty handed?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  26. #21
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,529

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I'm giving up Chris Paul, I'm taking Rondo but I guess I could have taken it wrong.
    Yeah...no kidding....maybe I'd want Rondo with some other asset....but Rondo is a good starting point and a very solid piece to build around.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  27. #22
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,286

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, by choosing not to explore any trade that would send CP3 to the Celtics or any other Team....does the League's inaction pretty much means that they are forcing the rest of the League to either accept a trade of CP3 from the Hornets to the Knicks ( specifically the ONLY Team that CP3 will voluntarily go to ) this season OR ( better yet ) let CP3 choose to leave New Orleans after the 2011-2012 season via FA while leaving the Hornets empty handed?
    They aren't going to send him to the Knicks either until an owner is found.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  28. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Rumor: Celtics want Chris Paul for Rajon Rondo? - CBSSports.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Golliver
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a past lifetime, Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge was a all-state high school baseball player and Toronto Blue Jays draft pick. He hasn't stopped swinging for the fences since.

    SI.com reports that the always aggressive Ainge, who transformed the Celtics into a title-winner by acquiring Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen in 2007, is targeting New Orleans Hornets All-Star guard Chris Paul.
    But according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, Boston general manager Danny Ainge is highly motivated to land an even better point guard than the one who led the Celtics to a championship in 2008 and an average of 58.5 wins in the last four seasons: New Orleans' Chris Paul.

    Ainge, the sources say, has recently discussed trading Rondo in a deal that Nets Paul, but the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo -- who has four years worth approximately $46 million left on his contract -- and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been on the prowl for a third team that could provide the sort of young pieces Hornets general manager Dell Demps would covet as part of his possible rebuilding plan. The more pressing question, of course, is whether Paul, who can become a free agent after this season, would consider signing an extension with Boston.
    With the Big 3 aging the Celtics are approacing a crossroads. Conventional wisdom dictated that they find a way to surround Rondo, a top-shelf, pass-first play-maker, with solid wing scorers and/or an elite big man. However, acquiring Paul would give Boston a point guard who is an exceptional play-maker while also being able to score in volume.

    The problem here lies in Boston's ability to pitch Paul on its ability to win now and for the foreseeable future. Reports have surfaced that Paul's top choice is the New York Knicks, in no small part because perennial All-Stars Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire are locked up for multiple years. In Boston, Kevin Garnett's contract is set to expire this summer and he's whispered about a potential retirement. Guard Ray Allen, who is now 36, will have his deal expire this summer too. If both depart, that will create significant cap room to build around a duo of Paul and forward Paul Pierce but is that possibility necessarily more enticing than the situation that might be available in New York?

    For superstars to change cities, it requires a balance between what the team has to offer the player and what the player has to offer the team. Right now, Paul has more to offer to the Celtics than the Celtics have to offer Paul. With a few delicate roster makeover cap moves and/or the promise of the right free agent signing next summer, though, and the proper balance could be achieved.

    Earlier Tuesday, we noted that Rondo's name was beginning to float in rumor mill discussions.

  29. #24
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are the types of deals we should be getting our nose in. Does someone need to us to handle our contract/player in exchange for picks/young players? No prob! We can do that!
    I dont see how we can get into this deal... Rondo would be a good addition, but at the price we would have to pay?? Start at PG and probably Hibbert... Or Hibbert and pick... With Posey's contact... I think that I will pass...

  30. #25
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,529

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Celtics looking to deal point guard Rondo for Hornets star Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by D0NT SH0OT ME View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get three team trades like this. If a third team were interested in becoming involved in this trade, why wouldn't they just trade directly for the superior player, in this case Paul?
    Maybe it's the wording...but I'm thinking that the Hornets are looking for Rondo+Assets for CP3. Because the Celtics don't have the additional ssets that the Hornets are looking for....then the Hornets are looking for "additional assets" from a 3rd Team.

    If this is the case...then the question would be....is there anybody on the Celtics that you would want to take on while sending some additional asset back ( like Hansbrough )?

    The short answer is...no...there is no assets that the Celtics have that would interest me in sending Hansbrough away for.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Similar Threads

  1. point guard options decreasing
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
  2. Could someone with ESPN insider post this article
    By dannygranger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 09:42 AM
  4. Weekend Recap 02-29: News from Around the NBA
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 02:27 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •