Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 66

Thread: Interesting tweet from Wells

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not Jones' value. Which was my point. His value comes in that he's a vet, who has been on good teams, and he's willing to take a vocal leadership role. Something that we didn't see out of any other player last season. If you watched him, even when he was in a suit, he was the most vocal and cheering the loudest on the bench. This is actually valuable stuff for a team. I know he grated his teammates a bit with it at times, but if no one else is going to do it..I think he's someone we are better off keeping.

    He's also not that expensive and a defensive stopper if need be.
    you dont want your vocal leader to be a fringe player who should barley play. I suggest amesty Djones and put a bid in for Brandon Roy he is an actually leader and would help the locker room culture and would have everyone's respect. There is a reason Lance didnt listen to Djones it is cause he isnt very good and shouldnt be trying to lead.

  2. #27

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you dont want your vocal leader to be a fringe player who should barley play. I suggest amesty Djones and put a bid in for Brandon Roy he is an actually leader and would help the locker room culture and would have everyone's respect. There is a reason Lance didnt listen to Djones it is cause he isnt very good and shouldnt be trying to lead.
    That's not why Lance didn't listen to DJones.

    I agree to an extent. But if you don't have an alternative, a fringe player is better than no player. Brandon Roy sounds nice, but he likely wouldn't start and he'd be new..making it even harder to gain the respect of his teammates.

    I mean, trade DJones if you need to, to get who you want. But I think he's valuable enough that the Pacers don't necessarily need to be *looking* to trade him. Partially because he's a guy that you can keep on the bench, and will still add something to the team.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not why Lance didn't listen to DJones.

    I agree to an extent. But if you don't have an alternative, a fringe player is better than no player. Brandon Roy sounds nice, but he likely wouldn't start and he'd be new..making it even harder to gain the respect of his teammates.

    I mean, trade DJones if you need to, to get who you want. But I think he's valuable enough that the Pacers don't necessarily need to be *looking* to trade him. Partially because he's a guy that you can keep on the bench, and will still add something to the team.
    Brandon Roy is a former face of the franchise player who would of been a superstar if he didnt have bad knees. He gets respect simply because what he has done and his work ethic and how he went about his business . If they don't listen to him they wont listen to anyone.

  5. #29

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brandon Roy is a former face of the franchise player who would of been a superstar if he didnt have bad knees. He gets respect simply because what he has done and his work ethic and how he went about his business . If they don't listen to him they wont listen to anyone.
    He'd still be the new guy who has to earn players respect. It's just not as simple as "he's good/was good/has a good work ethic = he's automatically team leader, regardless of status" There's a hierarchy to sports teams. New guys, almost regardless of how good they are, have to earn their place.

    There are a few guys who have leadership qualities on this team, but I think they are too young. And I think Granger doesn't. Even if you are right about Brandon, we don't have Brandon. We've got Dahntay, and my whole point was, it's silly to be LOOKING to trade someone (as in, we don't want him any longer) when we don't currently have a replacement for it. (Not that he's untouchable, but I just don't know that Wells is correct when saying the Pacers don't want Dahntay. They don't want Posey and they might not want Rush. I think they recognize Dahntay's value.) Which is all I'm saying. I wouldn't go looking to get rid of Dahntay, just to get rid of him, because he has value on this team.
    Last edited by Sookie; 11-29-2011 at 05:41 PM.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    The "Dante Jones is a leader" talk is so overrated in this blog is not even funny....

  8. #31
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,640

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    With George Hill in the fold and with the expectation that Paul George and Lance will make improvements from their rookie season, the Pacers don't need Price, Jones, or Rush.

    If they decide to make a splash it will probably be upfront at Center or PF with maybe a long-range sniper like James Jones added for a low price.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  10. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'd still be the new guy who has to earn players respect. It's just not as simple as "he's good/was good/has a good work ethic = he's automatically team leader, regardless of status" There's a hierarchy to sports teams. New guys, almost regardless of how good they are, have to earn their place.

    There are a few guys who have leadership qualities on this team, but I think they are too young. And I think Granger doesn't. Even if you are right about Brandon, we don't have Brandon. We've got Dahntay, and my whole point was, it's silly to be LOOKING to trade someone (as in, we don't want him any longer) when we don't currently have a replacement for it. (Not that he's untouchable, but I just don't know that Wells is correct when saying the Pacers don't want Dahntay. They don't want Posey and they might not want Rush. I think they recognize Dahntay's value.) Which is all I'm saying. I wouldn't go looking to get rid of Dahntay, just to get rid of him, because he has value on this team.
    id cut Jones I like defenders I just don't like the way he plays on offense with the lack of skill. George Hill can replace him as a vocal leader he has the right personality for that job and the past playoff success to have the respect.

  11. #33
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,276
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    I want to trade Rush. Maybe ship him to Minnesota or Sacremento for a pick or something.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  12. #34

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    I love DJones. I think he is a great guy to have when everyone is playing passive. Stick him out there and he will get the ball to the hoop. You need those kind of "when all else fails" type of players with a young team.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  14. #35
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default

    I see either Rush or Jones + a 1st round pick as part of any offer we make to Utah for Millsap.

    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  15. #36
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    The thing that amuses me the most about our situations is most of us who have been here for the long haul looking forward to the position we have are now absolutely terrified to find out what we could possibly do with it. I'll be honest I'm pretty worried that we could just sign someone for the sake of signing someone and really overpay for that person. That's kind of the nature of free agency that sucks, you're going to most likely have to overpay to get who you want. I'm hoping for patience in what is going to be a short season.
    Last edited by TheDon; 11-29-2011 at 06:24 PM.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:


  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,660

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would much, much, MUCH rather wait and try to get Eric Gordon instead.
    I think everyone would much rather have Gordon. But, we will NOT be able to get Gordon just by throwing a big contract at him. The Clippers will match it and dump him off somewhere else if forced to.

    So, I think you only get Gordon in one of two ways. Entice Gordon to sign a gigantic ONE-year contract that indicates to the Clippers (or any team that they trade with) that if they match and re-sign him that Gordon is a one-year rental only. Maybe that will compel the Clippers to deal with us.

    The second way is to get the Clippers to deal with us directly with a sign and trade.

    If a sign-and-trade is involved, it is going to take assets. So adding another decent asset like Mayo or whomever to our back court this year might mean that we don't have to gut our back court next year to deal with the Clippers to get Gordon.

    At any rate, if we plan to go after Gordon next year, we better be able to add a few decent players this season that enable us to deal with the Clippers next year without destroying our roster.

  18. #38
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think everyone would much rather have Gordon. But, we will NOT be able to get Gordon just by throwing a big contract at him. The Clippers will match it and dump him off somewhere else if forced to.

    So, I think you only get Gordon in one of two ways. Entice Gordon to sign a gigantic ONE-year contract that indicates to the Clippers (or any team that they trade with) that if they match and re-sign him that Gordon is a one-year rental only. Maybe that will compel the Clippers to deal with us.

    The second way is to get the Clippers to deal with us directly with a sign and trade.

    If a sign-and-trade is involved, it is going to take assets. So adding another decent asset like Mayo or whomever to our back court this year might mean that we don't have to gut our back court next year to deal with the Clippers to get Gordon.

    At any rate, if we plan to go after Gordon next year, we better be able to add a few decent players this season that enable us to deal with the Clippers next year without destroying our roster.
    No way do you offer EJ only a one year contract... And even if we did, I believe that the Clips could offer more years... They simply have to match the amount... And I am of the belief that EJ is potentially to be had next year if you max him out, which I would...

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,660

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way do you offer EJ only a one year contract... And even if we did, I believe that the Clips could offer more years... They simply have to match the amount... And I am of the belief that EJ is potentially to be had next year if you max him out, which I would...
    My scenario assumes that Gordon actually would want to play in Indy.

    If you offer Gordon a max contract, then you've just effed yourself. It would be matched. Then, you've lost Gordon for 4-5 years.

    My way, Gordon cooperates to send a message to the Clips. He is restricted and chooses to take a one year contract that the Clippers might choose to match. If they do, THEY get a one-year rental, after which he becomes an UNRESTRICTED free agent. He can then sign anywhere he chooses without the Clippers being able to match it. So, after ONE additional year, not 4 or 5, he could become a Pacer.

    Assuming of course, that he prefers to come home to Indy. My belief is that if Gordon did this, the Clippers would be willing to deal with the Pacers to arrange a sign-and-trade.

    The way I look at it, it's the Pacers turn to find a way to circumvent the spirit of the rules for a change.

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way do you offer EJ only a one year contract... And even if we did, I believe that the Clips could offer more years... They simply have to match the amount... And I am of the belief that EJ is potentially to be had next year if you max him out, which I would...
    that is the only way you can get him is if he will accept the one year deal the Clippers match and he would be a URFA the next year so he can go where ever he wants. He only accepts if he wants to leave LA. He could accept what ever offer he wants.

  21. #41

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    I adore the thought of EJ coming home, but it's pretty funny to me how we're basically looking for ways to just completely screw the Clippers after most of us were pretty upset with the way Melo and Lebron handled leaving.

  22. #42
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that is the only way you can get him is if he will accept the one year deal the Clippers match and he would be a URFA the next year so he can go where ever he wants. He only accepts if he wants to leave LA. He could accept what ever offer he wants.
    But then he loses his Bird rights, and a team cannot go over the cap to resign him... Further, you (the Pacers in this case) cannot offer him the full 5 years... Would be a HUGE gamble on his part...

  23. #43
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I adore the thought of EJ coming home, but it's pretty funny to me how we're basically looking for ways to just completely screw the Clippers after most of us were pretty upset with the way Melo and Lebron handled leaving.
    Melo forced his way out...
    Bron held his stupid "Decision" show... I am not upset with him leaving via free agency... It was the slap on the face of Cleveland as he walked out the door...

    Not similar to EJ, if he were to simply sign with another team...

  24. #44
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,276
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    EJ isn't from LA. Lebron was from (near) Cleveland. Him leaving via "The Decision" was a slap in the face to Cleveland, his HOME TOWN. EJ is from Indy. Can anyone blame him for wanting to come home if that is the case? No. Besides, he's not that stupid to host a TV special. No one can possibly be that stupid except Lebron.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  25. #45
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Melo forced his way out...
    Bron held his stupid "Decision" show... I am not upset with him leaving via free agency... It was the slap on the face of Cleveland as he walked out the door...

    Not similar to EJ, if he were to simply sign with another team...
    And I wouldn't call the Clippers completely screwed without EJ. They still have Blake Griffin, cap room, and Minnesota's unprotected 1st this year. That could be a top 3 pick, easily. We could also give them Granger in a sign and trade, because if Paul pans out like we think he will -- EJ, Paul, and Danny won't be able to co-exist (financially) a couple years from now. Danny would be the odd-man out.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:


  27. #46
    Bring Back Bender bballpacen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    No need to give them Granger if we can simply sign him away (S&T for a 1st a possibility)... But I agree that those three would have issues in the future if they all pan out as we would hope... But at that point, then you can trade Granger to fill another need... Say at the 4, or for added depth on the bench...

  28. #47
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    I like Dhanty if nothing more than the infamous 5 game winning streak under Obie

    Hibbert , Granger, D Jones, Rush, TJ

    Plus while it seemed everyone not named Granger played at least intiailly with the "deer in the headlights look" Dhanty came in off the bench and brought it right to the Bulls

    He may not be the best offensive threat but he can stick the 3 and is strong going to the basket. I would roll with DJ any day

    Rush I would trade for a retired player
    Sittin on top of the world!

  29. #48
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,955

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Granger, Paul George, and Eric Gordon coexist on my nba 2k11 team all the time.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  31. #49
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "Dante Jones is a leader" talk is so overrated in this blog is not even funny....
    How do you know? How do any of us know who the leaders are or if they are "overrated"? I think he provides some nice veteran leadership, but I don't think it is necessarily something we would miss if it were gone.

    Where is the news on Foster? I want him back. We need him.

  32. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Interesting tweet from Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you know? How do any of us know who the leaders are or if they are "overrated"? I think he provides some nice veteran leadership, but I don't think it is necessarily something we would miss if it were gone.

    Where is the news on Foster? I want him back. We need him.
    Long time ago I posted some articles talking about him been a pain the a** teammate(in denver), Posey is on the same boat.

Similar Threads

  1. Bird:Players, not Vogel, to blame for Pacers' woes (Wells)
    By focused444 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
  2. David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'
    By Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
  4. Some interesting statements by Mike Wells
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM
  5. Interesting possible matchups around the league...
    By 3Ball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 11:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •