Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Nene wants out, Pacers one of teams mentioned

Default Re: Nene wants out, Pacers one of teams mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By no means was I suggesting that the Pacers roster is anywhere near what the Pistons and Spurs had. One of the reasons why the Spurs were such a good Team last season ( despite being knocked out in the 1st round ) is because Parker, Manu and Duncan have played together so long that they know each other inside and out when it comes to playing on the court....same thing with the Pistons with Chauncey/Rip/Tayshaun/Ben.

These are the intangibles to a Team that can only be created over time when a core of Players play together for long periods of time. It's something that I think that Bird values and would cultivate over time as something that he would understand to be great benefit to building a Team for the long haul.

Totally fair.

I still think we need to find a way to add a 1st and 3rd option to this team. Then I'd be fine with 2 out of the George,Collison, Hibbert, Hansboro group being options 4 and 5.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I agree with the other poster who said if we get NeNe we should trade Hibbert. I just dont think we would have enough offensive production with a frontcourt of Nene and Roy
    Sittin on top of the world!

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Yup under the new rules s&t is limited to 4 years and 4.5% raises - exactly the same as a free agent offer from another team.

Denver alone can benefit from Bird rights in signing Nene - 5 years and 7.5% raises. However, I don't think Nene gets paid enough for the difference to be crucial (I could be wrong too).
    5yrs @ $101 million max under Bird rights

A tidy $27 million more than 4 yrs @ $74 million

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Actually, I think EJ is a real possibility. He's from Indy and isn't quite a tier 1 player. If we threw him the max, I think he'd take it.
    Remind me why the Pacers should throw a max contract at a non top tier player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Remind me why the Pacers should throw a max contract at a non top tier player.
    He's not right now but he's close and under the new rules top money for 4 years isn't a deathblow for a guy like EJ. He fits 4 roles. Face of the franchise, closer, defender and gives the Pacers the closest top tier player they could hope for.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    He's not right now but he's close and under the new rules top money for 4 years isn't a deathblow for a guy like EJ. He fits 4 roles. Face of the franchise, closer, defender and gives the Pacers the closest top tier player they could hope for.
    too bad the Clippers will match

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    So what if they extended you and you had a breakout season? Wouldn't you be all upset and stuff about how they dissed you by suckering you into a lowball contract? Seems I've heard that before.

So 4@$50M was Denver's price point. Seems like most people around here are talking 4@$48M or $52M as the right number - gee, what a disrespect he got.
    He was expecting an extention in the middle of the season before the season ended, is not about the money offer.

Nene says he likely would have taken that offer during the season, but felt disrespected because the Nuggets waited so long. So he opted to join this year’s limited free-agent market at the urging of his agency, Lagardčre Unlimited.

[ Related: Top 15 NBA free agents: Nene leads the list? ]

“When the season was over they didn’t offer me nothing good,” said Nene, who averaged 14.5 points and 7.6 rebounds while shooting a league-best 61.5 percent. “It’s hard. When my option came, it was good for my side and I to seize the opportunity of free agency. I tried to make a deal before that. Yes, I would have signed before the end of the season. But after the season was done, after going into the summer and waiting a little more in the summer, they ask me to sign?

“There was so much pressure on my shoulders. It was hard for me and I still did my job.”

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    too bad the Clippers will match
    Possibly but you still try and see what happens. If the Clips are serious about signing Howard then they need to plan accordingly and signing Djordan to big dollars is going to hinder that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't S&T to get him. Especially not to give up Tyler.

His role would expand as the Sixth Man with Nene playing the 4 and 5.

Mood

I really like Nene for 12-13M per year. I wouldn't go any higher.

I would consider targeting Deandre Jordan, with the idea that they are chasing DHoward. We throw a reasonable deal at Jordan and the Clippers would have to be wary of matching it if they truly want Howard. That Howard idea may have been tossed out there with the assumption that a team will try to undercut a deal for Jordan that they can match more easily.

I really like Arron Afflalo. I mentioned before that we should throw a couple of offers to Denver's three free agents they want to resign... Afflalo, Chandler, and Nene. It forces them to make a decision.

I think there are a lot of options that we have, but remember, we really don't have many roster spots to fill with the money we NEED to spend.

I still think we are going to get one major free agent this year and one next.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Possibly but you still try and see what happens. If the Clips are serious about signing Howard then they need to plan accordingly and signing Djordan to big dollars is going to hinder that.
    Gordon, Deandre, and Blake aren't going anywhere They are untouchable. I dont think Howard was ever on the Clipps radar. If he is EJ would probably be in the trade for him. The Clipps wouldn't even trade EJ for Melo.(which was smart I wouldn't either)

But there FO has made it clear EJ and Blake will be co face of the franchise players. They aren't trading him unless it nets them a top 5 player in the NBA.

EJ will be a superstar in a few years.(as long as he stays healthy)

Gordon, Deandre, and Blake aren't going anywhere They are untouchable. I dont think Howard was ever on the Clipps radar. If he is EJ would probably be in the trade for him. The Clipps wouldn't even trade EJ for Melo.(which was smart I wouldn't either)

But there FO has made it clear EJ and Blake will be co face of the franchise players. They aren't trading him unless it nets them a top 5 player in the NBA.

While I agree with you, a STRONG case can be made for Howard being a top 5 player in this league... Big difference between Howard and Melo, IMO... If they do make a play for Howard, the package would have to start @ EJ...

I'd be ok with 4/$54 for Nene. Roy in the high post. Our shooters would be in heaven with the open looks they'd be getting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    /end thread?
    Call me crazy but a team with GH,PG,Danny,Nene and Hibbert in the starting unit could be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the east.(at least in paper)

Miami 1, Chicago 2, who else? who can match the twin towers?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Call me crazy but a team with GH,PG,Danny,Nene and Hibbert in the starting unit could be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the east.(at least in paper)

Miami 1, Chicago 2, who else? who can match the twin towers?
    That really is a killer starting 5.

I don't think Nene is worth all the money they would have to throw at him, which would likely be more than they pay Danny, but it sure would be nice to be one of the top teams again.

I truly hope the Pacers front office doesn't think like PD.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I agree with the other poster who said if we get NeNe we should trade Hibbert. I just dont think we would have enough offensive production with a frontcourt of Nene and Roy
    Why do you think that we would not have enough offensive production with a Frontcourt of Nene and Roy?

I agree with you if you were referring to rebounding....but on the offensive end....our frontcourt scoring would significantly improve while still allowing for the Backcourt to get more than enough touches.

IF anything, adding Nene would improve our offensive production in the Frontcourt.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Don't ever say never.

Let's assume for a moment that Gordon would want to play in Indy. You've seemed to indicate as such in the past.

If that is the case, then use what you have to get him here. You can't force it to happen next year. But you could force it to happen one year later, IF Gordon himself would cooperate.

Next summer you offer him a ONE year contract at the absolute max. Gordon could then let the Clippers know they have two options. Either they arrange a sign-and-trade with the Pacers, or the Clippers can enjoy a one-year rental... after which he will sign with the Pacers as an unrestricted free agent.

What the hell? If LeBron, et al can do it... then so can we.

Until Sterling sees how much it will cost him to resign them.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I really like Nene for 12-13M per year. I wouldn't go any higher.

I would consider targeting Deandre Jordan, with the idea that they are chasing DHoward. We throw a reasonable deal at Jordan and the Clippers would have to be wary of matching it if they truly want Howard. That Howard idea may have been tossed out there with the assumption that a team will try to undercut a deal for Jordan that they can match more easily.

I really like Arron Afflalo. I mentioned before that we should throw a couple of offers to Denver's three free agents they want to resign... Afflalo, Chandler, and Nene. It forces them to make a decision.

I think there are a lot of options that we have, but remember, we really don't have many roster spots to fill with the money we NEED to spend.

I still think we are going to get one major free agent this year and one next.
    Assuming the following:

1 ) The Pacers go after a Big Time FA and end up paying 10-13+ mil a year
    2 ) The Pacers will try to sign Hill and Hibbert to their 1st Big Contract ( maybe Hibbert at $10-11 mil and Hill at $6+ mil )
    3 ) The Pacers DO NOT want to exceed the LT.

then it's unlikely that the Pacers will go after a 2nd Big Time Major Free Agent next season.

The only way that I see us going after a 2nd Top Tier FA is if we get a 5th to 7th Seed in the East and show some solid promise...enough to justify exceeding the LT.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Re: Nene wants out, Pacers one of teams mentioned

Assuming the following:

1 ) The Pacers go after a Big Time FA and end up paying 10-13+ mil a year
    2 ) The Pacers will try to sign Hill and Hibbert to their 1st Big Contract ( maybe Hibbert at $10-11 mil and Hill at $6+ mil )
    3 ) The Pacers DO NOT want to exceed the LT.

then it's unlikely that the Pacers will go after a 2nd Big Time Major Free Agent next season.

The only way that I see us going after a 2nd Top Tier FA is if we get a 5th to 7th Seed in the East and show some solid promise...enough to justify exceeding the LT.
    simon has shown willingness to spend big when we actually have a chance to win in the past, with the new LT, i'm not sure, but he'll spend to a reasonable extent imo.

Pacers will go for someone in that price range or even higher imo. We have cap, we might as well put ourselves out there. We'll put the feelers out, probably won't happen fo course, but if we really could get EJ, you make the move and owrry about cutting costs after.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AT four years I don't mind giving nene near max money, it was the 6 and 7 year contracts last CBA that really hurt you.

We'll have to be careful though, i'd hate to not be able to resign one of our own players that break out because we made a rash move.

See what the market is for nene, if it's too high i'd bide my time.

If we can get David west for a bargain that's the move i'd make.

He'll be hungry to prove himself, and if he's the same player he was in NO we'd have another borderline all-star player and money to sign yet another max contract next season, at which point our team would look REALLY appealing from a basketball standpoint.

It' probably all moot though, I expect Roy to really break out next year to the tune of at least 16 ppg 9 rpg and nice assist and block numbers, he'll be up for his extension.

I would love to get Nene, but he isn't worth the Max.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I would love to get Nene, but he isn't worth the Max.
    My thoughts exactly
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Why do you think that we would not have enough offensive production with a Frontcourt of Nene and Roy?

I agree with you if you were referring to rebounding....but on the offensive end....our frontcourt scoring would significantly improve while still allowing for the Backcourt to get more than enough touches.

IF anything, adding Nene would improve our offensive production in the Frontcourt.
    maybe a poor choice of words.

What I mean is Nene from my understandign gets the majority of his points off putbacks and dunks off the PnR, doesnt really have an offensive game, hence with Roy he clogs the paint

David West can reign jumpers form 20 feet, therby forcing his man to come out of the post and up to the top of the key or around that area. That gives Roy much more room to operate in the paint and if West can consistently stick the J, we will make teams pay for either doubbling Roy down low, or have Roy go to work on single converage
    Sittin on top of the world!