Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nene wants out, Pacers one of teams mentioned

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: Nene wants out, Pacers one of teams mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nene and Hibbert together?
    Would get in each others way. If you really wanted to sign Nene, I think you look to trade Roy. Maybe for Josh Smith?

Nene/Smith would be a great front court, but Nene is gonna cost too much and I fear Smith bolting after two seasons. I still don't think its a sound move long term.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Danny actually had his all star year after signing the extension. This is the exact reason I hope the front office extends Hibbert now. Danny would have cost us so much more if we hadn't done it that way.

What is he worth at this point? 4/52? 5/65?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Would get in each others way. If you really wanted to sign Nene, I think you look to trade Roy. Maybe for Josh Smith?

Nene/Smith would be a great front court, but Nene is gonna cost too much and I fear Smith bolting after two seasons. I still don't think its a sound move long term.
    I don't think they would get in each others way, remember that Nene used to play with two guys that can't shoot for s*** in Kmart and Birman.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Except for one thing, all it takes is one injury to Lebron James or Wade. Melo or Amare, and all the sudden the 3-4 seed Pacers look like favorites to win the East. There is no depth in these superteams.
    The only real option that we have is to build the Team like the way the Pistons and Spurs have done....get a good core of Players as the foundation and let it gain Team Chemistry and Playoff Experience over time while adding the small pieces here and there to get it to the next level. At that point...it's just a matter of seeing if it works and whether the proverbial "seeds that were planted" blooms into something special or not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

I don't think they would get in each others way, remember that Nene used to play with two guys that can't shoot for s*** in Kmart and Birman.
    One more thing...Hibbert ( thanks to "he who will not be mentioned" ) was able to cultivate a solid offensive game that does not rely solely on him being inside the post to score.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If the Pacers add a Player at a Near MAX to MAX contract this season....while looking to extend Hibbert....it would leave roughly $6 to 8 mil in Capspace in the 2012-2013 season.....which would be enough for a Starting Quality Player at one of the positions....but one that is not an All Star Level Player.
    Are you counting on resigning GHill? Thats 6 million right there if you ask me and you still have DC and Hans the year after.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 11-29-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Are you counting one resigning GHill? Thats 6 million right there if you ask me and you still have DC and Hans the year after.
    BUt isn't that also the year that Granger's deal ends?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

BUt isn't that also the year that Granger's deal ends?
    Ghill no but Collison and Hans yes.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Are you counting one resigning GHill? Thats 6 million right there if you ask me and you still have DC and Hans the year after.
    Forgot about him.....but he's a RFA...so if we want to keep him want while exceeding the LT......he'll be kept.

Regardless, point still stands.....you either offer a Player like Nene/Chandler/Marc some Near-Max contract this season OR wait until next season and make a run at someone else ( like Eric Gordon ). It's one or the other...not one this year and one next year.

Forgot about him.....but he's a RFA...so if we want to keep him want while exceeding the LT......he'll be kept.

Regardless, point still stands.....you either offer a Player like Nene/Chandler/Marc some Near-Max contract this season OR wait until next season and make a run at someone else ( like Eric Gordon ). It's one or the other...not one this year and one next year.
    Or its a sign and trade. You can offer anything as long as the other team wants to listen.

Edit: Are your number right? We have 25 mill in commited salary 2012/13. Sign Nene for 15 mill and that 40 mill. Sign EJ for 16 mill next year...
    Last edited by Gamble1; 11-29-2011 at 04:08 PM.

After watching that Nene highlight clip. I'd say give him whatever he wants. That dude is beastly. He controls the paint.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

The only real option that we have is to build the Team like the way the Pistons and Spurs have done....get a good core of Players as the foundation and let it gain Team Chemistry and Playoff Experience over time while adding the small pieces here and there to get it to the next level. At that point...it's just a matter of seeing if it works and whether the proverbial "seeds that were planted" blooms into something special or not.

Difference was that the Spurs built around the best guy in the league. Those Pistons teams had 3 guys better than anyone on our roster.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I don't want to overpay Nene, but how do you get around these arms?

Hill
    George
    Granger
    Nene
    Hibbert
    That is one hell of a defensive lineup...man...such a hard decision. When I was campaigning for Nene, I didn't think he was looking for the max deal. I just can't see how that lineup DOESN'T make us 4-6 seed easily.

Sports Logo

After watching that Nene highlight clip. I'd say give him whatever he wants. That dude is beastly. He controls the paint.
    One thing to note....Nene is supposed to be fairly quick and agile for a 6'11" Big Man. If you stick him on some athletic PF, he won't be as detrimental to the defensive end when defending them compared to other Big Men in the league. I'm not saying that he's Josh Smith super quick and athletic...I'm just saying that his quickness and agility is somewhat disguised by his size and is a plus IMHO.

Have you EVER seen anyone put together a BAD highlight clip on youtube or anywhere?

Those clips are put together with the idea of making anyone at all look great.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I thought the new rules allowed only one max contract per team? Was I dreaming that?
    As Gamble says, the restriction is on rookies being extended to a max contract of 5 years. But presumably, the Clippers could extend Gordon for the max for 4 years and save the 5 years max extension for Griffin. Just a guess really, because it's not clear yet what the designated max player provision does.

But there's nothing in the new CBA saying that you can't have multiple max contracts on a team.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    And after that when we don't get the one of these FAs that actually has a career year, the fans will turn on the Pacers for not doing anything in the FA market and wasting money we could have spent while not winning the championship that would have been guaranteed when we got the exact right one.

Pretty much doesn't matter what we do, it will turn out to be either cap hell or missing the perfect FA (or both).
    It's true that among us fans and maybe the media there's an expectation that the Pacers are going to make a big free agent splash. But TPTB might have other plans - the Millsap trade rumor is proof of that, I think. Also, I think there are solid free agents out there who won't cost an arm and a leg, but would still help the team immensely. This is a fairly deep FA year for big men; it's just a shame that the top of the class i.e. Nene, Gasol, West have become overhyped due to lack of star quality overall.

Almost half of the clip is of him dunking off of good passes/fast breaks.

I don't really think Nene fits and he'll cost to much, but we should at least pay him to teach Hibbert how to dunk with authority.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    Difference was that the Spurs built around the best guy in the league. Those Pistons teams had 3 guys better than anyone on our roster.
    By no means was I suggesting that the Pacers roster is anywhere near what the Pistons and Spurs had. One of the reasons why the Spurs were such a good Team last season ( despite being knocked out in the 1st round ) is because Parker, Manu and Duncan have played together so long that they know each other inside and out when it comes to playing on the court....same thing with the Pistons with Chauncey/Rip/Tayshaun/Ben.

These are the intangibles to a Team that can only be created over time when a core of Players play together for long periods of time. It's something that I think that Bird values and would cultivate over time as something that he would understand to be great benefit to building a Team for the long haul.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Banned

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl..._agents_112911

Nene has played for the Denver Nuggets all nine seasons of his NBA career and plans to make Colorado his home when he retires. His wife, Lauren, is a Colorado native and gave birth to the couple’s first child earlier this year. The Nuggets also have the ability to offer their starting center a longer, more lucrative contract than any other NBA team.

And yet that still might not be enough to entice Nene to re-sign with the Nuggets when the NBA’s free-agent market opens Dec. 9.

“I learned last season that this was a business,” Nene told Yahoo! Sports. “No matter how nice you are to people, no matter how nice people are to you, this is a business. I did my best for the team and they waited and waited to extend me. I was like, ‘Oh, OK, all these years playing good, doing your best and they still test you.’ That’s not about family, love and somebody liking you. It’s a business.

More From Marc J. SpearsTop 15 NBA free agents Nov 28, 2011 Dorell Wright gives big assist to those in need Nov 23, 2011
    Nene was offered a four-year, $50 million extension by the Nuggets before the lockout.

(NBAE/Getty Images)
    “So how do I think about [free agency]? I want to be happy. I want to improve my game. I want to enjoy it. It was very stressful for me and I don’t want to go through this in my career anymore.”

Nene made $11.3 million in the final year of his contract. He entered last season hoping for an extension, but didn’t push too hard while Denver was trying to trade Carmelo Anthony(notes). But after Anthony was sent to the New York Knicks in February, Nene expected an offer from the Nuggets. They instead waited until just before the July 1 start of the lockout, proposing a four-year, $50 million deal, sources said.

Nene says he likely would have taken that offer during the season, but felt disrespected because the Nuggets waited so long. So he opted to join this year’s limited free-agent market at the urging of his agency, Lagardčre Unlimited.

[ Related: Top 15 NBA free agents: Nene leads the list? ]

“When the season was over they didn’t offer me nothing good,” said Nene, who averaged 14.5 points and 7.6 rebounds while shooting a league-best 61.5 percent. “It’s hard. When my option came, it was good for my side and I to seize the opportunity of free agency. I tried to make a deal before that. Yes, I would have signed before the end of the season. But after the season was done, after going into the summer and waiting a little more in the summer, they ask me to sign?

“There was so much pressure on my shoulders. It was hard for me and I still did my job.”

Not only are the Nuggets in danger of losing Nene, but free agents J.R. Smith(notes), Wilson Chandler(notes) and Kenyon Martin(notes) signed contracts to play in China. Guard Arron Afflalo(notes) also is a restricted free agent, and could draw significant interest from other teams.

Nene hasn’t been able to talk to anyone from the Nuggets since the lockout. Asked about his relationship with the franchise now, he said: “I like the organization. I do need to be professional just like they were with me. They did what was best for them, and now I need to do what is best for me.”

Nene won’t lack for suitors. The Golden State Warriors, New Jersey Nets, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Clippers, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat, Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers are among the teams that figure to have interest.

Nene, 29, says he wants to play for a contender – perhaps at the expense of a more lucrative contract elsewhere. The Heat and Mavericks, who will both be over the salary cap, should be happy to hear that.

“It’s not about the money,” Nene said. “If I wanted to retire today I could retire because I saved my money. So right now I want to be happy and improve. That’s what I want. That’s what everybody wants. I need help. I need good players around. People say, ‘Nene, the last six years you averaged 14 points and eight or seven rebounds.’ OK, but they don’t say why.

“Right now I want to happy first. Two, I want to win. Money? Money, I am going to have because I worked and busted my butt. Money will come.”

Nene is arguably the top free agent in a thin group that also includes Mavericks center Tyson Chandler(notes), New Orleans Hornets forward David West(notes) and Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol(notes), who is a restricted free agent.

[ Related: China could block NBA players return ]

“I’m a big man who can defend different positions and do different things,” Nene said. “You can’t find that so easily in the league. I don’t like talking about my game, but you know what I can do and what I’m capable of doing. [Other teams] know, too.”

Nene began working out six days after the Nuggets were eliminated by the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first round of the playoffs. He worked out five days per week, playing five-on-five and three-on-three regularly. He also spent a week in San Antonio working out with several NBA players, including San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan(notes).

He stopped participating in contact workouts and scrimmages last month, however, after watching his personal manager, Alex Santos, break his leg during a pickup game. Since then, Nene has worked out alone to ensure he doesn’t get hurt before the start of free agency.

“God put me in this opportunity to be one of the top players in free agency, and I’m going to take advantage of it because it’s never going to come back again,” Nene said. “It’s one opportunity I have in my life.”

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    There's just something not right about us paying max money to get Nene while people on ESPN are already saying CP3 will take less than max to go to New York. I understand that we don't have a shot at most if any of the big names, but then we get relegated to overpaying for above average middle aged role players?
    This is exactly what leads to role players getting vastly overpaid and why the last CBA was broken.

This one, sadly, only appears to be marginally better.

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    Almost half of the clip is of him dunking off of good passes/fast breaks.

I don't really think Nene fits and he'll cost to much, but we should at least pay him to teach Hibbert how to dunk with authority.
    I want him dunking for us. He looks unstoppable when going up for a dunk, defenders just don't even try.

Banned

One thing to note....Nene is supposed to be fairly quick and agile for a 6'11" Big Man. If you stick him on some athletic PF, he won't be as detrimental to the defensive end when defending them compared to other Big Men in the league. I'm not saying that he's Josh Smith super quick and athletic...I'm just saying that his quickness and agility is somewhat disguised by his size and is a plus IMHO.
    Nene is similar to Amare, they are both big guys that can run the floor and score quick, Amare is better because he can hit the jumper, you give a guy like Nene the ball as many times as Amare and he scores over 20ppg easy.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl..._agents_112911

“I learned last season that this was a business,” Nene told Yahoo! Sports. “No matter how nice you are to people, no matter how nice people are to you, this is a business. I did my best for the team and they waited and waited to extend me. I was like, ‘Oh, OK, all these years playing good, doing your best and they still test you.’ That’s not about family, love and somebody liking you. It’s a business.
    So what if they extended you and you had a breakout season? Wouldn't you be all upset and stuff about how they dissed you by suckering you into a lowball contract? Seems I've heard that before.

So 4@$50M was Denver's price point. Seems like most people around here are talking 4@$48M or $52M as the right number - gee, what a disrespect he got.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Let's stop with this dream, is not going to happen.
    Actually, I think EJ is a real possibility. He's from Indy and isn't quite a tier 1 player. If we threw him the max, I think he'd take it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Nene, 29, says he wants to play for a contender – perhaps at the expense of a more lucrative contract elsewhere.
    /end thread?

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post: