Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nene wants out, Pacers one of teams mentioned

Default Re: Nene wants out, Pacers one of teams mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats 18.5 mill per year. YIKKKEESSS. Thats too much and no way should we do that.
    Yes i was thinking it would be in the range of 14 Million per year. 18.5 is Kobe and Duncan money. KG is making 18.5 Million this season.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Does anyone know the numbers on this alleged max deal anyway? I'm not sure.
    The numbers aren't pretty.

Nene has 9 years of experience, so he qualifies for 30% of cap max (unlike LeBron, etc who at the time were limited to 25% of cap). That means his salary can start at $16,324,500 going by Larry Coon's numbers.

Thus, the maximum that the Pacers or an s&t team could offer Nene is 4 years, $70m, for an average of $17.5m. The maximum that Denver could offer is 5 years, $95m, or an average of $19m.

I hope we're all agreed that those numbers are ridiculous for Nene, best FA available or not. So if the bidding gets anywhere near this territory, I hope we drop out fast.

EDIT: ninja'd by Speed My numbers are a little off from Tom Ziller's, but not by much
    Last edited by wintermute; 11-29-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: edited to respond to earlier post

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I persoanlly, would rather sign West or save our money. The FA class next year is where we need to spend our money
    Sittin on top of the world!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I persoanlly, would rather sign West or save our money. The FA class next year is where we need to spend our money
    I am in agreement now. Sign DWest to 10 Mil a year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Thats 18.5 mill per year. YIKKKEESSS. Thats too much and no way should we do that.

Thanks for pointing that out. Thats good news for us either way.
    76mil and 4 years is way better than 5 years 95mil or 6 years as before.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    It may be better but its still a toxic salary killing contract for a guy who is not a elite palyer.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

You can't convince us that Nene is worth 7 Million more than his previous season of 11 Million.

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

There's just something not right about us paying max money to get Nene while people on ESPN are already saying CP3 will take less than max to go to New York. I understand that we don't have a shot at most if any of the big names, but then we get relegated to overpaying for above average middle aged role players?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    There's just something not right about us paying max money to get Nene while people on ESPN are already saying CP3 will take less than max to go to New York. I understand that we don't have a shot at most if any of the big names, but then we get relegated to overpaying for above average middle aged role players?
    Well, we don't have to.

From what Mike Wells says, Pacers are going to be cautious in FA market. So hopefully we don't end up overpaying anyone, Nene or West or whoever else.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl..._agents_112711

David West(notes) has a message for any NBA teams looking to sign an elite power forward when the free-agent market opens on Dec. 9: If you pass on him because of concerns about his surgically repaired left knee, you’ll regret it.

One of the more productive players at his position in recent years, West tore his left anterior cruciate ligament late last season. West, 31, says his knee feels strong and he’s progressed to playing with some contact.

“I’m glad they’re doubting me,” West told Yahoo! Sports. “I am going to shock folks. I have not stopped working. No vacations. No family time. No chilling. I have not worked this hard or as consistent in any point of my career, college or pro.”

West has played his entire NBA career with the New Orleans Hornets. But while the Hornets are interested in re-signing him, West plans to assess all his free-agent options. The franchise’s future is uncertain for two reasons: The NBA still is looking for an owner for the Hornets; and All-Star guard Chris Paul(notes) could end up being traded if New Orleans fears he’ll leave as a free agent at the end of next season.

“Basically, I’m looking at the best option for the next few years of my career,” West said. “I want to win. … I’m really going to look at every option closely and make a well thought-out decision.”

West probably won’t have to think for too long. Free agency figures to be fast and furious as teams try to quickly fill out their rosters after the lockout officially ends. The amnesty provision in the new collective bargaining agreement – which allows teams to waive one player and remove his contract from their salary cap – also could put some more players on the market. And some general managers wonder if former NBA players Wilson Chandler(notes), J.R. Smith(notes), Aaron Brooks(notes) and Kenyon Martin(notes) can find a way to get out of their guaranteed contracts in China. If so, several GMs said to expect strong interest in Chandler.

Until then, however, here’s a look at 15 of the top free agents, regardless of whether they’re unrestricted (U) or restricted (R). Teams will have three days to match any offer sheet made to their restricted free agents.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we need to look where we would be in 4 years after Nene's contract ends if we sign him to the max. 4 years is not too long. Nene will be 33, which should be near the end of him prime. I'm not sure he is the perfect solution since you will have to pay the max, but I can't think of anything better (realistically), even next year. I'm joining the camp of get him at all costs, since "all costs" is only a 4 year commitment and we have the funds available right now. I think we will be contenders in years 2, 3 and 4 of his contract with him.

I think this needs broken down further for a year-by-year analysis. If signing him means we can't afford to keep George and Hibbert, then my opinion changes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Who do you think is going to sign with the Pacers next year? Dwill? nope, CP3? nope, Dhoward? I don't think so, I understand the feeling about paying a guy like Nene max money, but like I said before, the new deals are almost two years shorter making it easier for teams to trow max money.

10 million dollars for David West?

14 million dollars for Nene?

Yuck.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Okay...real easy question....between Tyson Chandler, Nene or Marc Gasol....IF the Pacers MUST sign a Big Man THIS SEASON and was forced to dole out a Near-MAX ( $14+ mil ) to MAX Contract for a Big Man....who would you ( reluctantly ) give one to if you were Larry Bird?

For me, it would be:

1 ) Tyson
    2 ) Nene
    3 ) Marc
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Is that even up for debate? Gasol by a mile.

Nene and Chandler are going to be 30.

Both have a ton of mileage on their bodies.

It's not even close IMO. Gasol won't be coming available though. Of course, none of them should really get that type of money.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-29-2011 at 02:49 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Who do you think is going to sign with the Pacers next year? Dwill? nope, CP3? nope, Dhoward? I don't think so, I understand the feeling about paying a guy like Nene max money, but like I said before, the new deals are almost two years shorter making it easier for teams to trow max money.
    I thought the plan was to offer Eric Gordon a Max deal next year....

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Okay...real easy question....between Tyson Chandler, Nene or Marc Gasol....IF the Pacers MUST sign a Big Man THIS SEASON and was forced to dole out a Near-MAX ( $14+ mil ) to MAX Contract for a Big Man....who would you ( reluctantly ) give one to if you were Larry Bird?

For me, it would be:

1 ) Tyson
    2 ) Nene
    3 ) Marc
    Mines Marc, Nene and you would have to drag me kicking and screaming to give Tyson a max deal. All of these deals are vastly overpaying for the guys and I don't see Bird doing it.

Marc is by far the most complete player but he can't play PF which means you trade Hibby for a PF.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

For me, it would be:

1 ) Tyson
    2 ) Nene
    3 ) Marc
    Gasol for the lone reason that he is the youngest.

I'm also not even worried about how he would play with Hibbert because I could flip Hibbert in a deal for Josh Smith or Eric Gordon or hell, even Monta Ellis.

Nene and Tyson aren't getting any better as players either. They are what they are.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 11-29-2011 at 02:51 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Well, we don't have to.

From what Mike Wells says, Pacers are going to be cautious in FA market. So hopefully we don't end up overpaying anyone, Nene or West or whoever else.
    And after that when we don't get the one of these FAs that actually has a career year, the fans will turn on the Pacers for not doing anything in the FA market and wasting money we could have spent while not winning the championship that would have been guaranteed when we got the exact right one.

Pretty much doesn't matter what we do, it will turn out to be either cap hell or missing the perfect FA (or both).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I thought the plan was to offer Eric Gordon a Max deal next year....
    Let's stop with this dream, is not going to happen.

although not as likely

but who exactly said they wont come to Indiana?

hear it directly from CP3 or Dwight or D Will?

its not out of the realm of possibility, and I would persoanlly wait and take a chance next year than through a FA Center (Nene) a MAX contract when he will make us better defensively but is not a "Batman" to Danny's "Robin"

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    You don't even get in the conversation with Nene without offering the max. Even then, another team almost certainly offers the same (I'm looking at you New Jersey) and he takes that offer if he doesn't just re-sign in Denver as he should.
    I read this sort of thing in regards to Nene, and I always wonder the same thing.

Why?

What has he really done to deserve a max contract? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it at all.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Let's try rephrasing the question: Is Nene worth one and a half Mike Dunleavies?
    Last edited by glazedham42; 11-29-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    And after that when we don't get the one of these FAs that actually has a career year, the fans will turn on the Pacers for not doing anything in the FA market and wasting money we could have spent while not winning the championship that would have been guaranteed when we got the exact right one.

Pretty much doesn't matter what we do, it will turn out to be either cap hell or missing the perfect FA (or both).
    David West won't put us over the cap and nor will Milsap. I haven't heard anyone claim that this years FA market would make us a contender. Its not wasting money if you don't spend it but I know where you are going with this and I just simply ignore the comments of fans with crazy expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    Let's try rephrasing the question: Is Nene worth one and a half Mike Dunleavies?
    No
    Last edited by Gamble1; 11-29-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Let's stop with this dream, is not going to happen.
    With as much time as Gordon has spent in Indiana recently, I'm actually starting to buy into it. I saw him at the IU-Butler game on Sunday sitting next to a guy I went to high school with at Brebeuf. He's keeping his Indy connections strong that is definitely for sure.