Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

  1. #1

    Default Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Fans unfollowed them on twitter en masse to voice their displeasure with the labor situation?

    I've been thinking a lot lately about unfollowing all of the players simply because I don't like hearing them whine about the lockout that I feel they should have ended by now.

    You could ask the same question of ownership, but I don't think it would change anything. Personally I only follow cuban anyway...

  2. #2
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    They ban the people that say things that they don't like anyway.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,064

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They ban the people that say things that they don't like anyway.
    Yep... I am forever blocked from following Reggie Miller, a man I've idolized my entire life, because I included him in an @mention of an argument I was having with some Heat fanboy, saying that he was way more loyal than LeBron (back in the Miami signing frenzy) and would never have abandoned the Pacers to join a superteam.

    With all the Bron hate going on at the time, pretty sure TNT had a universal blanket "BLOCK" policy on anyone tweeting their analysts with negative Bron-talk.

    To this day, can't follow my main man =\
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  5. #4

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    I'm not suggesting that we say anything to them that they could ignore or block us for. I'm suggesting we unfollow them.

    The message would be sent when players who may be accustomed to seeing they have 10k followers suddenly see their followers plummet to 8k, 5k, etc. the longer there is no basketball. It wouldn't have a significant impact on any real issues but I feel like it would send a pretty clear message if fans were willing to show that they were tuning out the players...spending their time on other things

  6. #5
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,032
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    In the grand scheme of things, it would not make one iota of difference...

  7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the grand scheme of things, it would not make one iota of difference...
    Probably not, but I'd pay to see their faces if they popped on to Twitter and saw their follwers were down to 100.

  9. #7
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,748

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    I think fans could make a big dent into the players and owners' mindset if they all acted in unison. That's not going to happen, of course. So it's moot. But I do think that players would respond if fans just abandoned them en masse. Too many collective action problems, however, for that to work properly.

  10. #8
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,140

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the grand scheme of things, it would not make one iota of difference...
    I disagree.

    It's an interesting thought...Given the popularity of social media, I could see some players' egos being effected if it were to happen. It's one thing if you're reading articles here and there about who "hates" you, but Twitter is almost like a direct measurement of your popularity.

    Mass unfollowing a player is an interesting tactic...can anyone else think of a more "direct" way to voice your displeasure of the players? Letters....forums....TV.....

    If I was an athelete, I would be "shook" if I reviewed my Twitter/Facebook/YouTube accounts and my followers/like/subscriptions had a huge decline. It would make me start wondering what type of impact this could have on my brands.

  11. #9
    Member GizzyStardust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    I think this is a great idea, but too difficult to organize properly.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GizzyStardust For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,032
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree.

    It's an interesting thought...Given the popularity of social media, I could see some players' egos being effected if it were to happen. It's one thing if you're reading articles here and there about who "hates" you, but Twitter is almost like a direct measurement of your popularity.

    Mass unfollowing a player is an interesting tactic...can anyone else think of a more "direct" way to voice your displeasure of the players? Letters....forums....TV.....

    If I was an athelete, I would be "shook" if I reviewed my Twitter/Facebook/YouTube accounts and my followers/like/subscriptions had a huge decline. It would make me start wondering what type of impact this could have on my brands.
    No. Wouldn't matter. Until you AFFECT the person's money situation, cash flow, etc. Unless Twitter, etc. is directly making them money, then no.

  14. #11
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,140

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Wouldn't matter. Until you AFFECT the person's money situation, cash flow, etc. Unless Twitter, etc. is directly making them money, then no.
    Right now, you're assuming the only way to impact the players is by affecting their pocketbooks. Affecting one's egos does have the possibilty achieving desired results too.

    One could argue that egos is one of the prime reasons why the Players are not accepting the current proposal.

  15. #12
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,748

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Wouldn't matter. Until you AFFECT the person's money situation, cash flow, etc. Unless Twitter, etc. is directly making them money, then no.
    One could argue, of course, that players haven't really been acting to maximize their profits.

  16. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,772

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Just to bump this up a bit, apparently Simmons got this idea from another poster and put it on his twitter feed.

    It looks like the idea is to unfollow EVERYONE involved with the NBA, not just the players. So it may not work for those of you (Shade, BillS, etc.) who think the owners bear no blame whatsoever as to why there are no NBA games now.

  17. #14
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,665

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it may not work for those of you (Shade, BillS, etc.) who think the owners bear no blame whatsoever as to why there are no NBA games now.


    Please point out where I've said they bear NO blame?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  19. #15
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,988

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Brandon Rush apparently doesn't care.

    @IamThaKing25
    What's up with this unfollownba bs? #unfollowdeez
    Unfollowdeez= unfollow these nuts.


    What. an. idiot.

  20. #16
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,928

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brandon Rush apparently doesn't care.
    I unfollowed him long before a lockout was even in place. I won't stop anyone trying to organize something, but I just don't think it will do any good at this point. I would rather keep following someone like Roy who seems like he just wants to play basketball and has apologized to fans as much as he can.

  21. #17
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fans unfollowed them on twitter en masse to voice their displeasure with the labor situation?

    I've been thinking a lot lately about unfollowing all of the players simply because I don't like hearing them whine about the lockout that I feel they should have ended by now.

    You could ask the same question of ownership, but I don't think it would change anything. Personally I only follow cuban anyway...
    No. The players who are the driving force of the lockout are self-absorbed narcissists who are in love with their own reflection. For as long as they have money to spend and yes men to buyout, these players will remain steadfast.

    That is why the owners feel this is a waiting game.

  22. #18

    Default Re: Would it in any way rattle the players if...?

    all i had to do was mention this idea in here...slide it along to uncle bill...and look the lockout was resolved within a week. i take 100% credit

    you're all welcome

Similar Threads

  1. Time for players to wave the white flag
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 303
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
  2. Agents pushing Decertification...
    By Willbo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM
  3. Woj: NBA lockout theatens entire season
    By wintermute in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 12:15 PM
  4. NFL, NBA Players poised to cut alimony making wives industry dispute victims
    By Basketball Fan in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
  5. Done Deal: NBA, players agree
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •